Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
there are people in the crowd who have been watching for 5 hours already:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
If I'm reading it right there's a "title" match on the local card with five one-minute rounds. Amazing

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Looks like it'll be a Davit Kiria vs Robin van Roosmalen rematch?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7kiTbaF1k

this video is pretty funny and not work safe. the gist of it is that badr's management offered money to patrice quarteron to take a different fight, even though quarteron isn't very good.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Oh and by the way, the K-1 MAX Final is on Saturday and the stream is going to be free on https://www.k-1.tv

Buakaw's management are being stupid dicks about absolutely everything because they were supposed to organise the event but didn't actually have the ability to do so. Here's a copy and paste from Dave Walsh

quote:

Buakaw's manager Yim was going to help organize the event. Yim doesn't have the knowledge or contacts to organize an event, so K-1 decided instead to work with local officials and businesspeople who could make the event happen. The event will now happen now that these people are involved (look at the July date and put two-and-two together).

Since then Buakaw has signed a TEN FIGHT DEAL with Top King. Top King have sent a representative to his gym to be there at all times and this representative is very, very upset with not only Buakaw fighting for K-1, but for this event taking place in Thailand, even though there is no contractual basis to be upset.

Since K-1 decided to not use Yim to make this show happen and all of a sudden Top King has swooped in to work with Yim, Buakaw has been fed a bunch of stuff about how K-1 is going to gently caress him over, etc. We could talk about people that K-1 has owed money to in the past, but Buakaw has been paid his contracted rate for every fight that he's had with them since signing with K-1 Global, even though K-1 Globa has had, well, uh..... Really low budgets on some of these shows.

These past shows have been done on shoestring budgets and this one has had over $1m USD pumped into it, including prize money already set aside.

It's probably time to start asking serious questions as to why Buakaw is always the victim in some crazy scheme and why he has these crazy press conferences to announce how he's been duped, right?

Also Buakaw reported K-1 to the police yesterday because there's a gambling sponsor on their website. It's loving weird and idiotic. Of course, muay thai and gambling simply wouldn't be seen together.

here's the card

Buakaw Banchamek vs. Enriko Kehl
Paul “Semtex” Daley vs. Mohammad Ghaedibardeh
Rungravee Sasiprapa vs. Dennis Puric
Andrei Kubelin vs. Lee Sung Hyun
Maximo Suarez vs. Tural Bayramov
Andre “Dida” Amade vs. Li Yankun
Artem Pashporin vs. Petmongkol Thor. Thesputin
Xei Lei vs. Yoshimoto

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Oh and by the way, the K-1 MAX Final is on Saturday and the stream is going to be free on https://www.k-1.tv

Buakaw's management are being stupid dicks about absolutely everything because they were supposed to organise the event but didn't actually have the ability to do so. Here's a copy and paste from Dave Walsh

Also Buakaw reported K-1 to the police yesterday because there's a gambling sponsor on their website. It's loving weird and idiotic. Of course, muay thai and gambling simply wouldn't be seen together.

here's the card

Paul “Semtex” Daley vs. Mohammad Ghaedibardeh
Rungravee Sasiprapa vs. Dennis Puric
Andrei Kubelin vs. Lee Sung Hyun
Maximo Suarez vs. Tural Bayramov
Andre “Dida” Amade vs. Li Yankun
Artem Pashporin vs. Petmongkol Thor. Thesputin
Xei Lei vs. Yoshimoto

Sounds like Yim was dragging his feet to get K-1 caught up in a breach of contract or something.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Triticum Guzzler posted:

This is so pricelessly ridiculous I don't even know what the gently caress. For those of you with your mouths not agape yet, the majority of the crowd at pretty much every event in Thailand is gamblers.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Extra funny because despite his giant shitfit, all he has to do is go kick the poo poo of out Kehl for the second (third?) time, which will require very little effort.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Gregor Samsa posted:

This is so pricelessly ridiculous I don't even know what the gently caress. For those of you with your mouths not agape yet, the majority of the crowd at pretty much every event in Thailand is gamblers.

Isn't the reason they don't go hard until the 3rd round because that's when the bets are locked in?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dangersim posted:

Isn't the reason they don't go hard until the 3rd round because that's when the bets are locked in?

Correct. This is because traditionally, the gamblers have no idea who the fighters are so the first few rounds are to help them decide.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Dangersim posted:

coconono posted:

Correct. This is because traditionally, the gamblers have no idea who the fighters are so the first few rounds are to help them decide.

Not totally correct, as bets are still taken after the 3rd. It has more to do with the scoring system, in which the first two rounds are almost always scored 10-10.

It's entirely possible that they began scoring fights like this in response to the influence of gamblers, and it wouldn't be the first time -- apparently the rise of the fighters who almost exclusively clinch-and-knee and are very physically strong was because these kind of fights are often very back and forth, and made for good gambling fare. Lots of MT purists got upset about this and I think there was a push in the other direction, with Lumpinee banning a certain style of clinching a few years back (you can no longer come in and clinch low around your opponent's waist and drive knees into his hips because it makes for loving boring fights). But it has resulted on a big emphasis on scoring for knees/throws from the clinch -- basically the only time anybody beats Saenchai, for example, is if they can march him down, tie him up, and physically overpower him in the clinch, even if they get outclassed everywhere else in the fight.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

quote:

Petmongkol Thor. Thesputin

What is this

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
A Thai name.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I happen to be in Pattaya Thailand now, and got tickets to the fight. Really stocked to see this since I didnt know about the original date being cancelled.

Good seats were 3000 baut each though. at least the service charge was only 20 baut, and not half of the ticket price like Ticketmaster.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 10, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yuriy posted:

What is this

Thai boxer names are typically a combination of a "fight name" that is given to them when they go pro + the name of their gym. For example, Buakaw used to be Buakaw por Pramuk and now he is Buakaw Banchamek.

Saenchai used to be Sanechai sor Kingstar.

Also somtimes the last name is a sponsor instead, like this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yodsanan_Sor_Nanthachai.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

I'm unsure of when K1 actually starts, it might be later tonight

In the meantime, http://www.glaz.tv/online-tv/rossiya-2

shouldbe showing whatever card Sergei vs Anderson Silva is on

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Come join us in the K-1 stream for some dope DJing antics and a thai audience utterly lacking in fucks to give to this entertainment.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Bushmeister posted:

Come join us in the K-1 stream for some dope DJing antics and a thai audience utterly lacking in fucks to give to this entertainment.

It's on Fight Network which is okay stream wise iirc

http://ifirstrowus.eu/watch/289467/1/watch-k-1-world-max-2014-final.html

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

K-1 going live right now.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This is ridiculous. The longest break before a 4th rd.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

TKO (contract dispute)

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
Lmao
buakaw ran away
loving lmao

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

This turned out to be the best thing after all.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Details please. Not watching the stream and am now very upset about that.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Gregor Samsa posted:

It went to a draw and they had to go to a sudden death round but Buakaw was no where to be found

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gregor Samsa posted:

Buakaw threw Kehl around a lot but also got punched in the face the entire fight. Fight was scored a draw and was supposed to go to a 4th but Buakaw had disappeared.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

excellent

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gregor Samsa posted:

Kehl in my opinion won 2-1. He outstruck Buakaw. Buakaw hit trips and threw Kehl to the floor a bunch but he was pretty ineffective outside of that. He had a bull rush in the 3rd and thats the rd I gave him. You could argue the 1st a draw if you wanted to. After the fight the judges took a while to calculate the scores and when they announced a draw Buakaw was gone. They were filling time trying to find him and after like 8 minutes the announcer just said "Buakaw has left the building" and they awarded Kehl the victory.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gregor Samsa posted:

i didn't watch but from what i'm hearing it was a pretty even fight, an extra round was declared, and buakaw pulled a lebanner, making kehl the improbable champion. i feel bad for the thai company that rescued buakaw from bankruptcy, got him all these sponsors, and helped put this event together but he's a dumbass

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
:ughh: Thanks everybody.

And yeah, sympathy for Buakaw rapidly dwindling.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I had no idea it was happening at all, but Sergei just rematched Anderson Braddock Silva half an hour ago and TKO'd him in the second round, surprisingly

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYT6O4zCZs

Triticum Guzzler fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 11, 2014

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i didn't watch but from what i'm hearing it was a pretty even fight, an extra round was declared, and buakaw pulled a lebanner, making kehl the improbable champion. i feel bad for the thai company that rescued buakaw from bankruptcy, got him all these sponsors, and helped put this event together but he's a dumbass

Dunc where do you get all your kickboxing news? You always seen to be far more in the know

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

origami posted:

Dunc where do you get all your kickboxing news? You always seen to be far more in the know

the shadowy underworld successor to the other shadowy underworld that only superfans, brice guidon, one of lebanner's agents, and some guys who worked for feg posted on

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I had no idea it was happening at all, but Sergei just rematched Anderson Braddock Silva half an hour ago and TKO'd him in the second round, surprisingly

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYT6O4zCZs

Thanks for the video. 5 min rounds -- odd.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

I always assumed you hung out in dodgy bars or were a criminal.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gregor Samsa posted:

I always assumed you hung out in dodgy bars or were a criminal.

I know a few Dutch guys too which is the same thing, functionally

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gregor Samsa posted:

Thanks for the video. 5 min rounds -- odd.

Just a gently caress up in the broadcast graphics, watching the first round I kept thinking about how 5 minute rounds would shake out with guys more active than Sergei then the clapper came in and it was irrelevant. There were probably MMA fights on the card earlier on.

Cliff's notes on the fight: http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=OqYT6O4zCZs&p=n#/790;797

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The most improbable thing was that sergei checked at least two leg kicks

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I guess you can cool an old dog with new tricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Paul Daley won his K1 fight