Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Great Op as always, not buying this game tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Thank You Card posted:

Who plays CoD for the creativity? :rolleyes:

CoD4 and Black Ops were both pretty original settings when those games came out. :shrug:

The only thing that might get me interested in this as a setting is if they absolutely go for broke on the PMC angle and have all the factions in the plot be different mercenary companies. Like, national militaries don't even exist anymore in this world, it's all PMC's. That could be interesting, especially with multiplayer: you could have some mechanic where your profile is a PMC, and your custom classes are different mercs that work for it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DStecks posted:

CoD4 and Black Ops were both pretty original settings when those games came out. :shrug:

The only thing that might get me interested in this as a setting is if they absolutely go for broke on the PMC angle and have all the factions in the plot be different mercenary companies. Like, national militaries don't even exist anymore in this world, it's all PMC's. That could be interesting, especially with multiplayer: you could have some mechanic where your profile is a PMC, and your custom classes are different mercs that work for it.

Sounds like war has changed.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

There was a game called MAG that had a similar plot. It also had 256-player maps. Naturally, the online doesn't work anymore.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Well it's not Bluepoint cause they just finished TitanFall, so, uhhhh. Bad juju!

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I miss you, quit celebrating 5-year anniversaries and play lovely games

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Given the opening scene of the very first episode of House of Cards, I'm a little worried about Riley. :ohdear:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Mark my words: we will see lasers, forcefields and robots in a Call of Duty game before 2020. Near-future warfare has come and replaced the now stagnant modern warfare FPS genre and it's only going to get more and more absurd and over-the-top as the years go by much like how modern warfare got more dumb.

I can't wait. Call of Duty losing its loving mind is what made this series so much more bearable for me.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Justin Godscock posted:

Mark my words: we will see lasers, forcefields and robots in a Call of Duty game before 2020. Near-future warfare has come and replaced the now stagnant modern warfare FPS genre and it's only going to get more and more absurd and over-the-top as the years go by much like how modern warfare got more dumb.

I can't wait. Call of Duty losing its loving mind is what made this series so much more bearable for me.

I hear people say Blops2 isn't the best CoD and I just don't understand, man. In what other game do you have slow-mo dubstep gunfights in a night club on Libertopia? No other game, man, no other.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The weird thing is that it really looked like Ghosts was gonna one-up Black Ops 2 in the crazy department by a lot. WALKING DOWN BUILDINGS, SPACE LASERS, AMERICA'S DEAD, HERE'S A DOG :regd09:, FIGHT IN SPACE, FIGHT ON A TRAIN, FIGHT UNDERWATERRRRRRR, JUGGERNAUTS WITH KNIVES, THE LEVELS CHANGE, WHISTLE AND SUMMON A DOOOOOOG :regd09:

And then it somehow took all that and made it boring as sin.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

You'd be surprised at just how many people are adamantly against putting anything other than REAL WORLD GUNS in multiplayer. If it's not a REAL WORLD GUN then it has to be based off one and god help you if it fires lasers.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Fibby Boy posted:

You'd be surprised at just how many people are adamantly against putting anything other than REAL WORLD GUNS in multiplayer. If it's not a REAL WORLD GUN then it has to be based off one and god help you if it fires lasers.

Real world WHAT?
I don't remember Cod, but Battlefield 4 went as far as removing or nerfing[1] kill trades, that is if you shoot at an enemy and died, your shots would magically disappear in flight and not hit your killer.

[1] which for some BF4 commentators meant Dice probably powered them up

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

limaCAT posted:

Real world WHAT?
I don't remember Cod, but Battlefield 4 went as far as removing or nerfing[1] kill trades, that is if you shoot at an enemy and died, your shots would magically disappear in flight and not hit your killer.

I just put those in caps to emphasize how much people bitch and moan whenever the idea of putting in made up future guns into cod is brought up.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I actually managed to not buy any CoD games after MW2. I bought CoD 4 (pc master race of course) and it was a masterpiece, then I got MW2 for my PS3 and it was just an embarrassing pile of garbage, I played it for like 3 hours total mostly with that bullshit JtR build before people started exploiting it in earnest then swore off the series because BFBC2 and BF3 existed and I'm not 14. I might buy this game though, it looks neat :)

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I agree, Fat Worm.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Fibby Boy posted:

Because only NERDS play games with lasers. :colbert: CoD is a MODERN DAY SHOOTER.

Straker posted:

I actually managed to not buy any CoD games after MW2.
Blackops had a batshit insane campaign, and MW3 had a okay campaign if you like 'em, easily high points before things started going downhill. Plus the inept tank driving in MW3 is funny as hell.

:supaburn:WHOASTOPBACKUPBACKUPCRASH

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

limited posted:

Blackops had a batshit insane campaign, and MW3 had a okay campaign if you like 'em, easily high points before things started going downhill. Plus the inept tank driving in MW3 is funny as hell.

Well the Black Ops campaign was literally Fight Club. And Black Ops 2 had you riding around on horseback shooting stinger missiles :black101: It's amusing that Treyarch has really been managing to do over-the-top right where IW has been stumbling badly.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:

limaCAT posted:

Real world WHAT?

DICE managed to patch kill trades back in with Naval Strike or whatever shortly after they (FINALLY) mostly removed them

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Black Ops' campaign is my vote for "best CoD ever", if only because they took the standard CoD campaign format (a series of unconnected missions with whacky poo poo going on) and made it make narrative sense.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Tracula posted:

Well the Black Ops campaign was literally Fight Club. And Black Ops 2 had you riding around on horseback shooting stinger missiles :black101: It's amusing that Treyarch has really been managing to do over-the-top right where IW has been stumbling badly.

I can still remember the halcyon days before MW2 when everyone hated Treyarch and IW was the real Call of Duty developer.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

BrandonGK posted:

I can still remember the halcyon days before MW2 when everyone hated Treyarch and IW was the real Call of Duty developer.

I am guilty with being one of these people. I was wrong, Black Ops for life.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
If you throw money at GameStop right now, you get a code on your receipt for this!* and **

* Available in-game May 13, 2014
** "NOTE: This Personalization Pack is only available in Call of Duty®: Ghosts for Xbox One®, Xbox 360®, PS4®, and PS3® and in Call of Duty®: Black Ops II for Xbox 360® and PS3®."

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
what the hell is that camo even supposed to be

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Thank You Card posted:

what the hell is that camo even supposed to be

You can hide in EPCOT

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

limited posted:

Oh I know, I just never wanted to touch mp in any cod games after 4. I'm not sure I actually finished the campaigns in anything after MW2 though, I should replay them all sometime before this one.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
So, the Microsoft DLC exclusivity period will be intact through CoD:AWe, and here's a piece on movement and such.

quote:

boost-dodge toward cover, perform super-jumps to elevated positions, climb buildings with magnetic gloves, cloak themselves with optic campoflauge, and hover in mid-air.

"across all modes," so possibly MP will feature this eclectic mix of abilities as well.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Is "campoflauge" a [sic] or are you editorializing? Either way it's apt.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
It is (or was) a [sic]. Editorial standards on CoD-centric websites are not of the highest quality.

Though that's a good point. SMG rushing invisibly might also be a thing. Or re-enact your Predator fetish.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Merry Marauder posted:

So, the Microsoft DLC exclusivity period will be intact through CoD:AWe, and here's a piece on movement and such.

"across all modes," so possibly MP will feature this eclectic mix of abilities as well.

I hope Bobby Kotick went up to Microsoft and told him he was gonna wipe his rear end with that exclusivity contract and got Microsoft to cough up to keep it in place because otherwise not getting out of it really isn't a smart move for Activision.

Heheh, campoflauge. Some editor has a sense of humor. :haw:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Video interview with Michael Condrey and Glen Schofield. Mostly singleplayer related stuff.

http://www.charlieintel.com/2014/05/07/what-makes-advanced-warfare-different-video-interview-with-gameinformer/

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Javes posted:

Video interview with Michael Condrey and Glen Schofield. Mostly singleplayer related stuff.

http://www.charlieintel.com/2014/05/07/what-makes-advanced-warfare-different-video-interview-with-gameinformer/
That dreaded word 'verticality' rearing it's ugly head again within two minutes. :siren:

But they're bragging about storytelling, and you're a silent protaganist unless you're in a cutscene. Which after how Blops2 did in-game speech, and how bland Ghosts was in comparison ( That one level where you're seperated and refuse to use the radio was just stupid when playing it. ) is just hilarious to hear.

The entire second half of that video was just pure rambling and trying to throw in as many buzzwords as they could. :allears: I can't wait to hear more about being able to look and move around in a video game.

Is it bad to still want to buy the game just to see/hear Kevin Spacey be a evil CEO though? :ohdear:

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

limited posted:

That dreaded word 'verticality' rearing it's ugly head again within two minutes. :siren:

But they're bragging about storytelling, and you're a silent protaganist unless you're in a cutscene. Which after how Blops2 did in-game speech, and how bland Ghosts was in comparison ( That one level where you're seperated and refuse to use the radio was just stupid when playing it. ) is just hilarious to hear.

"We're making the protagonist a voiceless, personality-free cipher, only this time it's on purpose."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

limited posted:

Is it bad to still want to buy the game just to see/hear Kevin Spacey be a evil CEO though? :ohdear:

I think I'll just wait for the inevitable Let's Play.

BrandonGK posted:

"We're making the protagonist a voiceless, personality-free cipher, only this time it's on purpose."

On the other hand, that Blops's campaign was "we're doing CoD as usual, only this time it's on purpose" was its single greatest strength.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

DStecks posted:

On the other hand, that Blops's campaign was "we're doing CoD as usual, only this time it's on purpose" was its single greatest strength.

You must be referring to Sam Worthington.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wazzit posted:

You must be referring to Sam Worthington.

The only thing memorable about his performance was that in the Cuba mission he slipped back into his Australian accent for an entire line and nobody decided to do another take. I mean, his accent slips a lot in that game, more than it ever did in Avatar, but there's one line where it's like he's not even trying.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Justin Godscock posted:

Mark my words: we will see lasers, forcefields and robots in a Call of Duty game before 2020. I can't wait. Call of Duty losing its loving mind is what made this series so much more bearable for me.

What was the last FPS you recall playing that included a gun that fired lasers? C&C Renegade?(2002) Star Wars Dark Forces?(1995)

I can't honestly think of any others that you could fire lasers, and those two examples were produced by companies that released a yearly title in a series. I can think of at least four games now, that I've had this hope and it's unfortunate that neither a Battlefield or Call of Duty team in this day & age can't put this kind of variety into their games. Even Borderlands doesn't have lasers, and they're at least giving the player use of four held weapons.

v:shobon:v I will of course be tricked into buying this game just like all of the others.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Jake Blues posted:

...Even Borderlands doesn't have lasers...

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jake Blues posted:

What was the last FPS you recall playing that included a gun that fired lasers? C&C Renegade?(2002) Star Wars Dark Forces?(1995)

I can't honestly think of any others that you could fire lasers, and those two examples were produced by companies that released a yearly title in a series. I can think of at least four games now, that I've had this hope and it's unfortunate that neither a Battlefield or Call of Duty team in this day & age can't put this kind of variety into their games. Even Borderlands doesn't have lasers, and they're at least giving the player use of four held weapons.

v:shobon:v I will of course be tricked into buying this game just like all of the others.

Pretty sure about half the guns in Halo 4 shoot lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Jake Blues posted:

Fallout 3 had some laser-shooting guns.

• Locked thread