Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It just occurred to me that Frank Underwood loves FPS games. Did somebody say "product placement/metatextual cameo"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Also great to see CoD breaking new ground with an Evil PMC plot, a plot never before seen ever in a video game, ever.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Thank You Card posted:

Who plays CoD for the creativity? :rolleyes:

CoD4 and Black Ops were both pretty original settings when those games came out. :shrug:

The only thing that might get me interested in this as a setting is if they absolutely go for broke on the PMC angle and have all the factions in the plot be different mercenary companies. Like, national militaries don't even exist anymore in this world, it's all PMC's. That could be interesting, especially with multiplayer: you could have some mechanic where your profile is a PMC, and your custom classes are different mercs that work for it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Black Ops' campaign is my vote for "best CoD ever", if only because they took the standard CoD campaign format (a series of unconnected missions with whacky poo poo going on) and made it make narrative sense.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

limited posted:

Is it bad to still want to buy the game just to see/hear Kevin Spacey be a evil CEO though? :ohdear:

I think I'll just wait for the inevitable Let's Play.

BrandonGK posted:

"We're making the protagonist a voiceless, personality-free cipher, only this time it's on purpose."

On the other hand, that Blops's campaign was "we're doing CoD as usual, only this time it's on purpose" was its single greatest strength.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wazzit posted:

You must be referring to Sam Worthington.

The only thing memorable about his performance was that in the Cuba mission he slipped back into his Australian accent for an entire line and nobody decided to do another take. I mean, his accent slips a lot in that game, more than it ever did in Avatar, but there's one line where it's like he's not even trying.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jake Blues posted:

What was the last FPS you recall playing that included a gun that fired lasers? C&C Renegade?(2002) Star Wars Dark Forces?(1995)

I can't honestly think of any others that you could fire lasers, and those two examples were produced by companies that released a yearly title in a series. I can think of at least four games now, that I've had this hope and it's unfortunate that neither a Battlefield or Call of Duty team in this day & age can't put this kind of variety into their games. Even Borderlands doesn't have lasers, and they're at least giving the player use of four held weapons.

v:shobon:v I will of course be tricked into buying this game just like all of the others.

Pretty sure about half the guns in Halo 4 shoot lasers.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Troy Baker is how game developers say "gently caress characterization".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Shnakepup posted:

Eh? I thought he was pretty good in Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us.

He isn't bad, it's that he's Grizzled White Male voice actor du jour, and his casting almost always signifies a complete lack of characterization in the game.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

I can't tell if you're seriously talking about characterization in a CoD thread.

Sorry I'm being a bit opaque, apparently the cast of AW was leaked to IMDB and Troy Baker is the player character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This game looks boring as gently caress. The enemy AI just sorta stands there as you Titanfall Pilot through CODidors. I could not be less interested in this game after watching that trailer.

• Locked thread