Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm sorry am I in bizzaro world where the major US ISPs aren't greedy poorly run companies trying to double dip on the claim that they don't have the capacity they purposefully don't bother expanding and are trying to screw everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Netflix currently pays level3 to send Netflix traffic to Comcast customers.

With this new Comcast connection, Netflix will be paying Comcast to send Netflix traffic to Comcast customers. It will then stop paying level3 for Comcast traffic.

The price it pays to Comcast for access to Comcast customers will be the same or less than what it used to pay to level3 for access to Comcast customers. The quality of service to Netflix's Vomcast customers will be significantly better.

So in the end, after this setup is complete, Netflix will be paying less for their internet then they were before and Netflix customers on Comcast will have better service.

I'm missing the part where Comcast's entire point of existence as an ISP is to get data I request from the Internet and get it to my house. That thing I pay them for. It's not on Netflix or anyone else to deal with the costs Comcast face when I am paying them to do exactly that already.

Edit: This is the even dumber part: the ISP has to, as part of what I'm paying them for, get that data from where ever over their network to my house. If netflix/google/etc is willing to go hey lets skip Level 3 and link directly to your network so we're not paying them. Great everyone saves money (well L3 is out) and the ISP does that one thing it's supposed to do no matter what.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 16, 2014

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Install Windows posted:

Sorry, Netflix does have to pay to get data out to networks, just like you have to. Why the hell do you care so much about Netflix dropping transit providers in favor of doing what all the big internet companies do?

So where does Comcast justify making anyone specific pay for access/better access to "their network" when their one function is to connect home users to whatever system on the Internet that user goes looking for? If their internal network can't keep up with all their customer's requests that is their problem alone.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

The problem is not Comcast's internal network, it's the points that connect outside of its network. If you're in Comcast's network, you're fine. But why should Comcast give that space on their network for free? It's obviously tied to some sort of cost (however small). Either the company putting material on Comcast's network pays or the customer pays.

But why should the customer pay, if they're already paying for access for the entire internet? Is it fair for you to pay for (e.g.) Tumblr to put their content on Comcast's site if you don't use Tumblr? Why shouldn't the company pay?

At the end of the day, the people defending Netflix are basically saying "customers should subsidize for profit companies so these companies can make more money".

This still sounds like it's everyone's fault except an ISP when the ISP's customers actually request data from whatever entity on the Internet. Then suddenly US ISPs start screaming foul when their users actually start using the bandwidth they're paying for.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

n0n0 posted:

This blog post from Level 3 does a pretty decent job of summarizing "last-mile" provider attitudes. In a nutshell, they claim that large providers in the US, where there is very little real competition among providers, refuse to upgrade equipment. They then use the resulting degradation of service as a bargaining chip.

quote:

Five of those congested peers are in the United States and one is in Europe. There are none in any other part of the world. All six are large Broadband consumer networks with a dominant or exclusive market share in their local market. In countries or markets where consumers have multiple Broadband choices (like the UK) there are no congested peers.

Well I think that nicely makes my point, US ISPs are full of poo poo.

• Locked thread