Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Triarii posted:

I was baffled by the choice to cast Craig in that role but I thought it ended up working really well. Him having such a blatantly incorrect accent added a fun note of absurdity that you wouldn't get with plain old Billy Bob Thornton or whoever.

Finished the movie and liked it a lot but really disagree

RCarr posted:

You’re not alone. He was by far the worst part of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My IIMM with Knives Out is what the hell kind of a nickname is Ransom?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I honestly can't fathom casting an actor with a realistic accent for that role.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think that was a nickname that was an actual name. I worked with a kid back in college and that was his name

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's not a nickname. It's his middle name.

I mean, that obviously raises the question "what the hell kind of a middle name is Ransom?" and to that I have no response.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Boat is correct. Craig did as well as he could and he is a good actor but that was very much the wrong role.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I was watching City of Embers, and buy does that movie which is Fallout: Escape from the Vault really misses the point. The movie should have been the ESCAPE from the city, not 90% IN the city. The whole movie seems to be missing it's own point.

Also, in the current global catastrophe, it's very on point that this is all the adults fault, our children will be the ones to rescue us, but it's all going to be very depressing. Not a happy uplifting movie to watch these days.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

fartknocker posted:

The only things I remember about that movie were John Boyega have like 2 minutes of screen time and Tom Hanks dropping the f-bomb at the end getting a bigger reaction than almost anything else that was actually part of the plot.

Oh, and Bill Paxton :smith:

Which F-bomb?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

rod kimble raises fifty grand to give frank a new heart, but who raises the money to give rod a new skeleton?

thats what id like to know

There are no flaws in Hot Rod

Also, there is no tool... in this pool

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Like, often the worst thing a comedy can do is try to cram a bunch of serious drama/action into the third act of an otherwise very silly movie. Examples: Wedding Crashers, Old School, The Other Guys, knocked Up, and so on. It's not impossible to pull off, but it's rare to do so. Apatow sure as hell can't. I never saw The Hangover, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume it does it too.

Hot Rod tanked critically and at the box office, but it's one of my favorite comedies of all time. And it never forgets that it's a comedy first, either. Any emotional swells are punctuated with jokes or intentionally cut off.

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Jul 12, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Phone posting, but it’s at like 3:25 of this video

https://youtu.be/CDj_sgTnm-U

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Eclipse12 posted:

Like, often the worst thing a comedy can do is try to cram a bunch of serious drama/action into the third act of an otherwise very silly movie. Examples: Wedding Crashers, Old School, The Other Guys, knocked Up, and so on. It's not impossible to pull off, but it's rare to do so. Apatow sure as hell can't.

This is something that started with comedies in the mid to late eighties. poo poo, the third act of Three Men and a Baby has Tom Selleck burying a drug smuggler alive at a construction site after a whole heroin trafficking subplot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is something that started with comedies in the mid to late eighties. poo poo, the third act of Three Men and a Baby has Tom Selleck burying a drug smuggler alive at a construction site after a whole heroin trafficking subplot.

Was gonna say, it's almost omnipresent, especially in children's movies and usually with very insufficient build up.

I think it's the idea that no matter the content or tone of the movie, it always has to end in a feel-good 'win' of some kind. You don't see it as much in comedic TV, which can get away with a farce collapsing or an anticlimax.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
My irrational irritating movie moment is that this movie exists.

Watched it a couple of months back and it was absolutely terrible, it has zero redeeming qualities.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GazChap posted:

My irrational irritating movie moment is that this movie exists.

Watched it a couple of months back and it was absolutely terrible, it has zero redeeming qualities.

The first 20 minutes with all the weird corporate-mandated happiness exercises is kinda fun, in a mid-tier Black Mirror kind of way.

Also the line "when I'm not being watched? I steal kayaks"

That's about all I've got.

It's also kind of annoying that I keep getting it confused with Circle, which is one of the better entries in my favourite genre of "people trapped in a weird room for unknown reasons" - Cube, The Interview, The Human Race, Exam

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Eclipse12 posted:

Like, often the worst thing a comedy can do is try to cram a bunch of serious drama/action into the third act of an otherwise very silly movie. Examples: Wedding Crashers, Old School, The Other Guys, knocked Up, and so on. It's not impossible to pull off, but it's rare to do so.

The Good Morning Vietnam effect.

After that movie came out, suddenly every light comedy for 20 years thought you needed third act tragedy and angst and it. loving. sucked.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Both movies came out the same year.

Also - Tom Selleck loving what? I'm going to have to rewatch that movie now, because :stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Irrationally Irritating Knives out moment:

You could never accidentally give 100 mg of morphine thinking you were drawing up 100mg of Toradol. The dose concentrations are super different. Toradol is usually 15-30 mg/mL and Morphine is 2-4 mg/mL. So even if you had the low concentration Toradol and the highest concentration morphine, you'd draw up 7mL and give a dose of 28mg morphine, which is a pretty standard dose. There's higher concentration morphine but that's all prefilled syringe type stuff, not vials like in the movie.

Of course, she gave the right meds anyway so it's not something that bothered me too much but I feel like it's something they could have had the detective point out at the end

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Interview was so good until the magical healing meat bullet bit at the end.

The best thing Cube did was not show anything outside the cube, because explanations are always terrible. It's why all the Cube sequels and prequels are terrible.

Bonus IIMM, which isn't bad per se, but rather irritates me in a "can't stop thinking about it" way: What's the deal with the person in the very first scene? Later in the film it's a big deal when the characters figure out that every one of them has a specific skill the group needs to survive. What skill is the group missing that ol' slice-n-dice would have brought to the table?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I did a course on cyberpunk at uni and we had to read The Circle novel as a sort of modern parallel. If the 80s vision of the near future was cyberpunk, what could be a similar example from the 2010s kind of thing. We all agreed it was loving terrible. I suggested they used something not terrible like Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl in the future.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Taeke posted:

I suggested they used something not terrible like Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl in the future.

This was a really excellent book that you just reminded me to reread, thanks.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

rydiafan posted:

The Interview was so good until the magical healing meat bullet bit at the end.

The best thing Cube did was not show anything outside the cube, because explanations are always terrible. It's why all the Cube sequels and prequels are terrible.

Bonus IIMM, which isn't bad per se, but rather irritates me in a "can't stop thinking about it" way: What's the deal with the person in the very first scene? Later in the film it's a big deal when the characters figure out that every one of them has a specific skill the group needs to survive. What skill is the group missing that ol' slice-n-dice would have brought to the table?

Oh yeah, they almost all have pretty terrible endings. The Interview comes closest to sticking the landing though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

3-headed shark attack isn't on Prime. 2, 5 and 6 headed are but not three and i'm absolutely not paying for that movie

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Len posted:

3-headed shark attack isn't on Prime. 2, 5 and 6 headed are but not three and i'm absolutely not paying for that movie

I bet it's just because of the star appeal of being the only one with danny trejo in it. I'd pay the 4 dollars to rent it if it were me and I hadn't already seen it a couple times, but then again I paid 8 dollars to own velocipastor (right before they added it to prime), so my financial decisions may not be the wisest.

Still want to know why they skipped over 4 heads like that though.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jul 12, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

rydiafan posted:

Weren't they an actual escape artist who knew about chewing on buttons to relieve thirst and throwing your shoe into a room to set off traps?

I always thought he was going to be their leader, but he just hosed off right away and got himself killed.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s not ultimately a great movie but What Dreams May Come is gorgeous so I guess I’m irrationally irritated that more movies don’t look like What Dreams May Come. The only thing I can think of that aped it was that DLC for The Witcher 3.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Weren't they an actual escape artist who knew about chewing on buttons to relieve thirst and throwing your shoe into a room to set off traps?

I always thought he was going to be their leader, but he just hosed off right away and got himself killed.

No, before that guy. The pre-title opening scene is a dude waking up in the cube, exploring a couple rooms, and then dying. None of the other characters ever even meet them.

https://youtu.be/YnuRpHkg0H8

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I thought The Other Guys was good personally

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Just a shame it stars Tony Hatecrime :v:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

christmas boots posted:

The Other Guys is one of those movies that I'm pretty sure I've seen, but I remember next to nothing that happens in it.

I was also getting it confused with The Nice Guys at first, a movie I really didn't like because the main characters were SO GOD-drat STUPID to the point where they let the girl they're protecting get killed because they very stupidly leave her completely alone while they BOTH go investigate an obviously fake lead. I wanted to like that movie, and laughing at idiots can be fun, but the movie was just so frustrating and unpleasant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

No, before that guy. The pre-title opening scene is a dude waking up in the cube, exploring a couple rooms, and then dying. None of the other characters ever even meet them.

It goes into what you're told later. Before the Cube's makers put the group of six into it, they put Alderson in alone to make sure that it worked mechanically.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Eh! Frank posted:

I was also getting it confused with The Nice Guys at first

There’s also a TV show from the early 2010’s called The Good Guys, and I can never remember which one is which without looking it up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

christmas boots posted:

I can quote you about 80% of the script verbatim, but when you watch it as a film, it’s kind of flat. It’s absolutely a movie made for watching clips of on youtube.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Eh! Frank posted:

The Other Guys is one of those movies that I'm pretty sure I've seen, but I remember next to nothing that happens in it.

I was also getting it confused with The Nice Guys at first, a movie I really didn't like because the main characters were SO GOD-drat STUPID to the point where they let the girl they're protecting get killed because they very stupidly leave her completely alone while they BOTH go investigate an obviously fake lead. I wanted to like that movie, and laughing at idiots can be fun, but the movie was just so frustrating and unpleasant.

The Nice Guys is extremely good, and most of the things said about it in the above post are actually reasons that it is good.

The Other Guys is nowhere near as funny as it needs to be, and it does a peculiar thing where, having established that most action film protagonists are terrible unlikable arseholes, it suggests that our protagonists need to become more like them and that will be a good thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'M A PEACOCK CHIEF YA GOTTA LET ME FLY!

That and Michael Keaton make the movie nothing short of amazing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alexander Hamilton posted:

It’s not ultimately a great movie but What Dreams May Come is gorgeous so I guess I’m irrationally irritated that more movies don’t look like What Dreams May Come. The only thing I can think of that aped it was that DLC for The Witcher 3.

I personally think it's a fantastic loving movie and probably one of the most emotional of all time to me

And it's actually more effective on a rewatch

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I personally think it's a fantastic loving movie and probably one of the most emotional of all time to me

And it's actually more effective on a rewatch

:hmmyes:

Real good movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

Fun fact, that guy is Julian Richings, he played Death on Supernatural, and one of the Kryptonian elders in Man of Steel, as well as a fuckton of other roles. Dude's an amazing character actor.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'M A PEACOCK CHIEF YA GOTTA LET ME FLY!

That and Michael Keaton make the movie nothing short of amazing.

The idea of the macho, toxic masculine type becoming a legitimate expert in multiple fields of art just because he wanted to be sure he was bullying them accurately absolutely killed me

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Len posted:

A true outrage, as it prevents a fellow goon that starred in it to not get royalties.

As for The Other Guys my IIMM is the end credits infographics showing how much big corporations get away with screwing over the common person. Such a tone shift compared to the rest of the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yBfWz2bSOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
It's definitely weird, but I can't hate on a director or whomever trying to educate people about how ridiculous the bailouts were and how crazy CEO pay is. It's only tangentially related to the movie's plot, but people do need to be reminded.

I love that movie and the Nice Guys, because they are both based on how lovely the rich and corporations will act and how the average person is powerless (alone) to stop them.