Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I haven't seen Inner Space in decades, but as a kid I remember Jack turning into the Cowboy as being the funniest thing in human history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Reminds me of some of the darker takes on The Incredible Hulk where Bruce wakes up and finds out he ate a guy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Imagined posted:

Reminds me of some of the darker takes on The Incredible Hulk where Bruce wakes up and finds out he ate a guy.

Ultimate Avengers and Old Man Logan Hulk is a cannibal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In old man logan he's also loving his cousin Jennifer/She Hulk and they have terrible inbred children. It's a bad plot point.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a lot of things I like in Old Man Logan but yeah that one is not one of them.

Old Man Hawkeye was real fun though

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Old Man Hulk lives in Old Man Shelbyville.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Push El Burrito posted:

Old Man Hulk lives in Old Man Shelbyville.

Old Man Hulk Yells At Cloud.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Paddington, the titular bear causes hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds worth of water damage to this family's flat, and it seems like the thing people are most unhappy with is that he made a mess.

Also the villain was just about to kill the whole family and yet she gets community service for her crimes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Speaking of Quaid, I recently rewatched Enemy Mine and wow that movie is totally Cowboys & Indians, but in space.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Morpheus posted:

In Paddington, the titular bear causes hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds worth of water damage to this family's flat, and it seems like the thing people are most unhappy with is that he made a mess.

Also the villain was just about to kill the whole family and yet she gets community service for her crimes.

I always felt the first Paddington had tone issues because the villain was too dark an idea for the setting - the villain of the second movie fits the tone of the universe far better, but as a whole it kind of makes the fact that Mr Currie isn't a social pariah kind of hard to swallow given he literally almost helped the villain kill Paddington in the first one and in the second he's just back to being the curmudgeon like nothing happened.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Speaking of Quaid, I recently rewatched Enemy Mine and wow that movie is totally Cowboys & Indians, but in space.

Enemy Mine is literally Hell in the Pacific, but in space.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

does mifune get mpreg too?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BioEnchanted posted:

In old man logan he's also loving his cousin Jennifer/She Hulk and they have terrible inbred children. It's a bad plot point.

Even if I didn’t know it was loving Millar this information is all you’d need to figure it out.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Torquemada posted:

Even if I didn’t know it was loving Millar this information is all you’d need to figure it out.
I dunno, it could just as easily have been Ennis 🤷🏻‍♀️

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The way I remember the difference between Garth Ennis & Mark Millar is Ennis is Irish & weird, while Millar is Scottish and mean.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

I always felt the first Paddington had tone issues because the villain was too dark an idea for the setting - the villain of the second movie fits the tone of the universe far better, but as a whole it kind of makes the fact that Mr Currie isn't a social pariah kind of hard to swallow given he literally almost helped the villain kill Paddington in the first one and in the second he's just back to being the curmudgeon like nothing happened.

To be fair, he had no idea what the villain had in mind, and when he did he got his friend Mr Murry who is certainly not Mr Curry to call the family and tell them Paddington had been kidnapped.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Android Apocalypse posted:

The way I remember the difference between Garth Ennis & Mark Millar is Ennis is Irish & weird, while Millar is Scottish and mean.

They both like to be a bit edgy for the sake of being edgy, but Millar definitely comes off much more misanthropic to me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I remember one of the two have an obsession with particular phrasing. In each of the comic series by Ennis (I think, preacher and one other had this) there is a thing with a person masturbating and the phrase recurs every time where they're whispering to themselves "Cradle the balls... work the shaft...."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BrigadierSensible posted:

Inner Space also glosses over the fact that Martin Short has to live the rest of his life with the corpse of that henchman in the second tiny ship floating around in his body.

They may have had the dude die by being killed by stomach acid, (I don't remember fully), so if that's the case, then he poos out the dead man encased in his tiny craft, please forgive my objections.
The guy gets dissolved into a skeleton in loving seconds from the stomach acid. Like Space Suit-Skeleton seconds after they land in the acid.

I really liked Innerspace growing up. I saw it in the drive in when it came out. I remember flipping out at my dad initially because the very beginning starts out with the camera moving through this spooky blue white cave but then it pans out and it's just the ice from some guys scotch the whole time. Then they had the boring part (for me as a kid) exposition to show how much of a drunk Navy gently caress up Tuck was and I was getting pissed at my dad because there was no shrinking involved at that point and I thought we were watching the wrong movie.

Even as an adult, the Tuck vs Mr. Igoe battle was the coolest part of the film. But it's so drat short; Igoe finds Tuck waiting in the back of the throat, he charges him a few times, disables one of his thrusters and damages his electronics. Tuck zaps him with a laser then jams some electrified fork up the other suits jet exhaust shorting out the suit. Igoe ejects and starts drilling holes in Tucks oxygen tanks then tries to bore through his windshield. They fall into the stomach and Tuck drops both of them,dissolving Igoe into a skeleton.

Half the movie should have been that fight, Tuck getting constantly chased and terrorized by this crazy dude in a crab suit while they fight across Jack's organs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BioEnchanted posted:

I remember one of the two have an obsession with particular phrasing. In each of the comic series by Ennis (I think, preacher and one other had this) there is a thing with a person masturbating and the phrase recurs every time where they're whispering to themselves "Cradle the balls... work the shaft...."
Which is itself taken from an urban legend about Sylvester Stallone in his trailer with a hot mic

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My main Innerspace childhood memory is of being really upset that the scientist friend, who I think was named Ozzie, gets killed. For some reason little tiny me got super attached to that guy in his five minutes of screen time.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Which is itself taken from an urban legend about Sylvester Stallone in his trailer with a hot mic

Whoa

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't believe this many people have seen Inner Space and have opinions on it. I think I saw it on cable TV once about 25 years ago but I don't remember anything about it except Dennis Quaid, Martin Short and a guy is small inside someone else but I haven't heard anyone talk about it since then.

Until now that is. I guess it has a following.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I saw it at the theater. Still got plans doodled out somewhere for the cpu cufflinks.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't believe this many people have seen Inner Space and have opinions on it. I think I saw it on cable TV once about 25 years ago but I don't remember anything about it except Dennis Quaid, Martin Short and a guy is small inside someone else but I haven't heard anyone talk about it since then.

Saw it a few times because my sisters loved it, and I think it turned up on television a fair bit. When you've got no cable, no satellite, no internet, and four TV channels, you're a lot less picky about saying "Nah, I've seen this before."

Although I will still watch Commando whenever it's on. Never not in the mood for Commando.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

It's kind of like The Magic Schoolbus or that episode of Rick and Morty, Pancreas Park or something.

There is an earlier movie Fantastic Voyage that is similar but without the comedy aspects.

I think Inner Space is worth a rewatch. I'm not gonna do it but report back.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

At a certain point in I think the late 90s Comedy Central played Innerspace a bunch. The wrote a song for the promo they ran for it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fair enough about Innerspace. I have a few average to mediocre movies in my wheelhouse that I remember way too much about or saw too many times just because they were on TBS or USA all the time and now they're buried in my brain. The Outsiders springs to mind, which is OK but not one of Coppola's best and it was on cable TV constantly.

I just didn't expect 2 pages on how irrational Innerspace is.

And that strikes me as irrational.

Which reminds me.

Remembering The Outsiders and ubiquitous cable TV movies got me recalling Matt DIllon, who I like, in a movie called "My Bodyguard" that also stars Adam Baldwin, Joan Cusack, Ruth Gordon and Martin Mull. It's real good and not very well known but for a movie that centers on a kid learning to fight back and not be bullied, the climatic fight scene that's supposed to be this triumphant redemptive moment is laughably bad and directed horribly.

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzRDoDV8Sbo

Skip to 3:30 to see a terrible fight scene

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:42 on May 7, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

Fair enough about Innerspace. I have a few average to mediocre movies in my wheelhouse that I remember way too much about or saw too many times just because they were on TBS or USA all the time and now they're buried in my brain. The Outsiders springs to mind, which is OK but not one of Coppola's best and it was on cable TV constantly.

I just didn't expect 2 pages on how irrational Innerspace is.

And that strikes me as irrational.

Which reminds me.

Remembering The Outsiders and ubiquitous cable TV movies got me recalling Matt DIllon, who I like, in a movie called "My Bodyguard" that also stars Adam Baldwin, Joan Cusack, Ruth Gordon and Martin Mull. It's real good and not very well known but for a movie that centers on a kid learning to fight back and not be bullied, the climatic fight scene that's supposed to be this triumphant redemptive moment is laughably bad and directed horribly.

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzRDoDV8Sbo

Skip to 3:30 to see a terrible fight scene

I wasn't dissing Inner Space, fwiw

It's a good watch.

Also that episode of Futurama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZrcL1la_5A

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

late 90s Comedy Central was just Inner Space, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Mannequin Two on constant rotation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

8one6 posted:

late 90s Comedy Central was just Inner Space, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Mannequin Two on constant rotation.

I was thinking more TNT, TBS and USA an Breakfast Club a constant also. Comedy Central I remember mostly being Crank Yankers and Dr. Katz plus some frat/college comedy with a cult following that I can't remember the name of at the moment.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not surprised, I haven't really played any of them in like 20 years. Aren't there also other IPs characters in the games now? Like a Terminator, Jason, etc...?

I just wanted more characters I knew from the classic 90s games that I don't think have appeared yet (though I've only seen clips of MK: Annihilation) like Baraka, Smoke, or one of the cyborgs?

Look at it this way: They need to kill many characters for the kombat to be considered mortal. You don't want all your favorite characters to die right away, so they have to introduce characters that aren't them

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Sleeping Beauty and every version of it: WHY does she live in a forest raised by loving fairies, not knowing she is a princess, for ANY loving REASON? The spell is she will touch a spindle/spinning wheel on her 16th birthday and die. Nowhere does it say she needs to be raised as a peasant by random fairies in the middle of the wood, and then brought back to the castle on her 16th birthday.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sleeping Beauty and every version of it: WHY does she live in a forest raised by loving fairies, not knowing she is a princess, for ANY loving REASON? The spell is she will touch a spindle/spinning wheel on her 16th birthday and die. Nowhere does it say she needs to be raised as a peasant by random fairies in the middle of the wood, and then brought back to the castle on her 16th birthday.

Have you read Neil Gaiman's short stories?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Read the Disney Twisted Tales book, Once Upon a Dream - Aurora raises those points herself and by the middle of the book she is equally pissed off with everyone in her life, not just Maleficent, because first of all raising her in the woods didn't do her any favours, not warning her about the curse was a dumb move, and what the gently caress use is Beauty, Grace and Song for a queen - she was clearly being groomed from birth to be a bride, not a queen and that pisses her off.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I was wondering about this, so checked the original Grimm version - she's definitely a princess and lives in the castle.

The dumb thing is, she's only cursed because the king wanted to invite all the wise women in the kingdom (13 of them), but only had 12 gold plates, so rather than get more crockery, he doesn't invite one of them.

Who finds out, crashes the party and curses the girl.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Watching Iron Man 2, the bit with Whiplash on the racetrack. Police in Europe at any big event have all sorts of machine guns. You could just shoot him in the face and he would very much die.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've never seen the Disney version all the way through, but I do remember the version from the 80's anime Grimm's Fairly Tales that aired on Nickelodeon.

IIRC, I don't think she is aware of the curse, but the king orders all spinning wheels in the kingdom burned, or something. How they continue to make clothing and spin yarn is of no concern, I suppose? I guess just buy it all pre-spun from a neighboring kingdom.

But there was one lone spinning wheel, forgotten about in a tall tower in the castle, that she climbs and pricks her finger on.

I also got freaked out by the scene of a random knight trying to get to the castle to save her and getting killed and turned into a loving FLOWER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt2JSRUokOk&t=275s

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:04 on May 7, 2021

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've never seen the Disney version all the way through, but I do remember the version from the 80's anime Grimm's Fairly Tales that aired on Nickelodeon.

IIRC, I don't think she is aware of the curse, but the king orders all spinning wheels in the kingdom burned, or something. How they continue to make clothing and spin yarn is of no concern, I suppose? I guess just buy it all pre-spun from a neighboring kingdom.

Probably use distaff and spindle like they did for generations before spinning wheels, I suspect. Though making all the women go back to that for 16 years seems a worse curse than the sleep bit.

quote:

I also got freaked out by the scene of a random knight trying to get to the castle to save her and getting killed and turned into a loving FLOWER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt2JSRUokOk&t=275s

Well, THAT definitely is freaky enough to fit the original fairy tale (although considering the original tale involved a rapist prince, perhaps we shouldn't mourn that knight's fate...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Rewatched the new RoboCop for the first time and it's still mediocre. The funniest thing is the Ed209 is a better peacekeeping machine since they immediately stop shooting when a non combatant gets in the line of fire, while RoboCop shoots a target he's not supposed to (the bad guy) by overcoming his directives.