Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Squidster posted:

Isn't she hispanic? I think it's supposed to just be her accent.

Her voice actress does not say it like that in this promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo7JeIXk6cs

And this is a picture of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Jaramin posted:

Her voice actress does not say it like that in this promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo7JeIXk6cs

And this is a picture of the character.
I hate to break it to you man, but uh, pale folks can be hispanic too.

From the semi-official wiki:

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Honey_Lemon posted:

She is also fluent in Spanish. Due to her accent, it is implied that Spanish is a language she spoke growing up.
Her voice actress, Genesis Rodriguez, has stated Honey Lemon is Latina, which would explain her fluency in Spanish.
Honey Lemon is currently the only Big Hero 6 character to have the same voice actor in multiple versions of the movie, as Genesis Rodriguez voiced Honey Lemon in the English and Latin Spanish dubs of the movie.

Squidster has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Feb 7, 2015

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I appreciate your subtle attempt to call me ignorant, but you might have forgotten which thread you're in.

If she was intended to be Hispanic the movie does a very bad job illustrating such considering she speaks at most two lines in Spanish and has no physical features which are most common to Hispanic people. If she has an accent I didn't notice.

It's either whitewashing in Hollywood, a rationally irritating peeve; or the character has one word she says very differently from everyone else in the film, an irrationally irritating peeve.

Jaramin has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Feb 7, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jaramin posted:

If she was intended to be Hispanic the movie does a very bad job illustrating such considering she speaks at most two lines in Spanish and has no physical features which are most common to Hispanic people.

You're really not helping your case here.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I don't know, I'm Hispanic and grew up around a lot of other Hispanic/Latino people, and when I saw the movie that stuck out to me too. It's probably just because although her character is Latina (which is cool, I didn't know that), I don't remember her actually having an accent throughout the movie, or having it be that prominent on any other words. I figured she must just want to pronounce Hiro's name the 'right' way or something to be nice, or have a particular interest in Japanese culture/learning Japanese so she uses that pronunciation out of habit.

Or maybe she did have an accent the whole time and I just didn't realize it because that's what sounds normal to me :psyduck: It's been forever since I saw Big Hero 6 anyway, who knows.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Watching the movie it's literally impossible to tell she's a Latina. She doesn't have an accent that's identifiable as such, and when I saw the movie I thought the Spanish line she had was probably just environmental from living in not-California. She's a green-eyed, neutral-accented, blonde, pale person from the perspective of a first-time observer, so I assumed she was supposed to be "white/american" in the movie's context. I just figured since it's set in mixed California-Japan she used the Japanese pronunciation, she's just the only person in the film to do so, including the main protagonist.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What I never understood about Big Hero 6 is why Hiro never made another telepathic headband to override his original one that the bad guy stole.

Also, that his submission to 'nerd school' was a world changing invention which he had already fully developed and built - just to get a place in college while all the other projects we saw were still in early design phase.

And there was no reason for the bad guy to steal the invention, cause the explosion and kill Hiro's brother. He could have just waited for Hiro to work out the kinks, copied the blueprints under guise of being the headmaster of the school and reclaimed the Sparrow machine at his leisure.

Also, "hypersleep". What a copout. I knew it was coming a mile away, but it would have made so much more sense for time to simply not pass in teleportation land or have the lost pod "stored in the memory buffers" of the stargate, like in that one episode of Stargate.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, "hypersleep". What a copout. I knew it was coming a mile away, but it would have made so much more sense for time to simply not pass in teleportation land or have the lost pod "stored in the memory buffers" of the stargate, like in that one episode of Stargate.

Yeah, that was there solely so there was some false tension that Beymax would "die" rescuing Callahan's daughter.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Jaramin posted:

Big Hero 6,the super white girl with the chemical bomb things is the only character in the entire movie to pronounce "Hiro" with a weird Japanese accent so it sounds like "Hido." I know the movie is supposed to take place in Japanamerica, but she is literally the only person who says it like that, not even his mom does.

Edit: edited out spoilers cause who cares.

What bothers me with that film is when he sticks a jet pack on the robot and learns to fly with it. They show this rather well with some dramatic last minute saves ending up on the golden gate bridge. They then repeat the scene by going 'oh, flying makes you happy, lets fly up to that building'. They then really ram the point home by going, 'err... 5 more minutes of flying cos we need to pad this film out a bit more'.

Like seriously they repeat the same scene 3 times back to back and drag it out for an unreasonable amount of time that just gets really boring. I guess the target audience isnt exactly 30 somethings but im sure todays ADHD riddled kids must get tired of that part too.

dpack_1 has a new favorite as of 10:32 on Feb 7, 2015

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Jaramin posted:

Big Hero 6,the super white girl with the chemical bomb things is the only character in the entire movie to pronounce "Hiro" with a weird Japanese accent so it sounds like "Hido." I know the movie is supposed to take place in Japanamerica, but she is literally the only person who says it like that, not even his mom does.

Edit: edited out spoilers cause who cares.

That stuck out to me as well, but eh. I don't know if it's based on anything or what, the movie was super cute :3

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a part where the police pull up alongside the main characters and they have a flying-car to flying-car shootout, and its pretty similar to the opening scene where Corbin Dallas gets his Taxi pulled over by a flying cop car.
It's actually from Valerian and Laureline , another European comic:

In fact the artist who drew that actually designed the flying taxis.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

You're really not helping your case here.

But how could she be a latina? She wasn't wearing a sombrero or eating tacos?!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I thought she was supposed to be a lingual nerd, insisting on using the correct pronunciation even though nobody else does.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alhazred posted:

I'm gonna have to check that out, thanks. That looks exactly like 5th element.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

But how could she be a latina? She wasn't wearing a sombrero or eating tacos?!

I tend to confuse people like this, having been born in Latin America and being Caucasian.
I try to wear sombreros and silk shirts as much as possible, but sometimes I just forget. I hope I don't irritate too many people for not being a walking stereotype. 😢

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

On the other hand, most people refer to TFE as ripping off the Incal when thinking of Leeloo diving off the ledge.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, most people refer to TFE as ripping off the Incal when thinking of Leeloo diving off the ledge.

So? Korben's taxi and the other flying cars was explicitly based on Mézières' art. Korben was supposed to be working in a rocketship factory until Besson met Mézières.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

People looking through a stack of unopened envelopes of unpaid bills, all of them saying things like 'past due' in big red letters on the front, while the character looks all dejected.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

mng posted:

People looking through a stack of unopened envelopes of unpaid bills, all of them saying things like 'past due' in big red letters on the front, while the character looks all dejected.

I wonder where this came from because I assume that would be kind of illegal both with postage and privacy.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Electric shocks firing people across the room like missiles, especially when hit with a defirb, defibra, drief those little paddle things George Clooney uses. Although to be fair, I wouldn't be half as bothered if defibrillators did that consistently on tv so that any time they tried to resurrect a dead body with them, they ended up chasing it around the room after each shock. :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Pretty much anything involving defibs in movies/tv is wrong. Or medical equipment in general.

Shocking on a flatline is probably the biggest offender.

I also get annoyed when anything does the cliched "heart monitor beeps slower and slower until the patient die, when it becomes one long, sustained, beep."

That's NOT how monitors work. There is no long beep on a flatline. It would be nothing for a few seconds, and then it would alarm. And an alarm isn't a steady beep, it's a specific mix of several tones/beeps and flashing lights.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

I wonder where this came from because I assume that would be kind of illegal both with postage and privacy.

Well, I can unfortunately attest from lower points in my life to the fact that electric bills with a cut-off notice inside do, in fact, say URGENT NOTICE in big red letters on the envelope.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

In the apartment building that I live in, there are always mailboxes with a note from the cable company saying "past due" or whatever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When will big companies stop bill-shaming

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Pretty much anything involving defibs in movies/tv is wrong. Or medical equipment in general.

Shocking on a flatline is probably the biggest offender.

I also get annoyed when anything does the cliched "heart monitor beeps slower and slower until the patient die, when it becomes one long, sustained, beep."

That's NOT how monitors work. There is no long beep on a flatline. It would be nothing for a few seconds, and then it would alarm. And an alarm isn't a steady beep, it's a specific mix of several tones/beeps and flashing lights.

Yeah pretty much anything involving medicine or computers in tv/movies is wrong to the point where its like, were the writers actively attempting to antagonize doctors/programmers?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah pretty much anything involving medicine or computers in tv/movies is wrong to the point where its like, were the writers actively attempting to antagonize doctors/programmers?

"Doctor Mengele, the president's heart monitor has been hacked! What can we do?"

"I don't know ... but I know a programmer who may. On the World Wide Internet they call him the Virginal Nerd."

"Doctor, with just a few random keystrokes and two popup command line windows the Virginal Nerd has saved my life. I will now push this big red button in the football shaped briefcase and nuke Afghanistan."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

"Doctor Mengele, the president's heart monitor has been hacked! What can we do?"

"I don't know ... but I know a programmer who may. On the World Wide Internet they call him the Virginal Nerd."

"Doctor, with just a few random keystrokes and two popup command line windows the Virginal Nerd has saved my life. I will now push this big red button in the football shaped briefcase and nuke Afghanistan."

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Imagined posted:

Well, I can unfortunately attest from lower points in my life to the fact that electric bills with a cut-off notice inside do, in fact, say URGENT NOTICE in big red letters on the envelope.

That seems like a prime opportunity to steal some personal data from someone. All of my bad mail comes in anonymous envelopes, they stick to shaming me inside the envelope.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now I want to see a movie where everybody is at the bedside, in a nice soft focus and saying goodbye, the heartbeats stop, and then everybody gets teary eyed smiles and starts to hug and suddenly the alarms go off and everything snaps into a hard focus florescent overtone and everybody is freaking out until nurses rush in and shove them all aside to try to resuscitate.

Because tragedy is comedy.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't forget that some department store (Kmart?) in the 90s would announce its hour-long sales by coming onto the PA system and saying "Code blue, code blue" or something like that

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I watched Hitchcock's [b] Rear Window [\b] today, and while I enjoyed the movie the ending bothered me.
the fact that the killer was delayed by being blinded with the flash strobes was just too loving stupid.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

I watched Hitchcock's [b] Rear Window [\b] today, and while I enjoyed the movie the ending bothered me.
the fact that the killer was delayed by being blinded with the flash strobes was just too loving stupid.

Why is that stupid? The killer enters a pitch black room, from a lit hallway, and has a big rear end flash bulb let off right into his eyes over and over again. Not to mention he's hesitant and unsure when he arrives, it seems pretty feasible to me

Of course, I loving love Rear Window and will argue everything about it is perfect and sublime. I also think it's better than Psycho and Vertigo, Yeah, come at me top ten Hitchcock film list compilers!

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Sentient Data posted:

Don't forget that some department store (Kmart?) in the 90s would announce its hour-long sales by coming onto the PA system and saying "Code blue, code blue" or something like that

"There is a Blue Light Special on Hanes Beefy Tee Shirts in Menswear"

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Non Serviam posted:

I've used those bulbs, they're much brighter than any consumer-grade electronic flash these days -- at 8-10 feet, they're 4 times as bright as the brightest sunlit day.

If anything, he's not blinded enough.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

I've used those bulbs, they're much brighter than any consumer-grade electronic flash these days -- at 8-10 feet, they're 4 times as bright as the brightest sunlit day.

If anything, he's not blinded enough.

I can believe being blinded by it, but they did it like 4 times. At no point after the first one, or,second one, or third one, did he think closing his eyes, covering his eyes or, you know, running towards the guy instead of walking very slowly and ominously.

I really liked the movie, I just felt that part was silky.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Motherfucking goddamn loving narration. Maleficient, looking at you as one of your lesser crimes. The Book of Life, seriously? For a loving kid movie about Day of the Dead, why was so much time spent with the drat kids in the museum's reactions to the story? SHOW ME THE STORY, I don't need narration or the kids exclaiming stupid things!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Motherfucking goddamn loving narration. Maleficient, looking at you as one of your lesser crimes. The Book of Life, seriously? For a loving kid movie about Day of the Dead, why was so much time spent with the drat kids in the museum's reactions to the story? SHOW ME THE STORY, I don't need narration or the kids exclaiming stupid things!

This just goes back to the classic rule "Show, don't tell"

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Every now and then I like to express the opinion that watching a fan cut of Fight Club with all the narration removed would be an interesting experience. I feel like it would be a more contemplative movie if Jack wasn't just vomiting his silly anarchist thoughts all over the place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

poonchasta posted:

Every now and then I like to express the opinion that watching a fan cut of Fight Club with all the narration removed would be an interesting experience. I feel like it would be a more contemplative movie if Jack wasn't just vomiting his silly anarchist thoughts all over the place.

FightClub: Almost the entire movie is the narrator's hallucination, and you're bothered about hearing his internal monologue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Pacific Rim has been brought up a few times. On the whole I love this film, it's a ridiculous tounge-in-cheek sci-fi action with good comic relief, no awkward love scene, and giant loving robots fighting giant loving monsters.

Irrational Irritation = toward the end they send two jaegers to the ocean bed. Only, Gypsy Danger is 'analogue' and runs on "50 diesel engines per muscle strand". How the gently caress are them engines getting any oxygen to keep the internal combustion going?!