Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Shudder's horror movies seem to suffer as so many do: the pay is not worth the setup and wait.

Didn't they have some film where this room would grant your every wish, but the caveat was, you couldn't leave the house with said item or thing?

Then in theory couldn't you wish for a yet-to-be-written-or-published bestseller, make a hand copy in said house, then go sell the copy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I kind of doubt he would just accept that they're dead though without seeing for himself. And I'm sure there is some book stuff that will dominate the next 2 pages that explains why he did it.

The movie flips the conversation around for some reason, in the book Gandalf wants to go to Moria because he's been through before and it seemed cool, while Gimli is reluctant because he's not heard anything from the dwarves there in way too long and assumes they're all dead.

Peter Jackson apparently loved hitting the shuffle button on character dialogue, there's a lot of scenes that stop making sense if you think about them for half a second due to things being swapped around.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phanatic posted:

This is false. Solar storms are massive charged particles, not photons. They are protons, which move considerably slower than the speed of light, and it is perfectly possible to observe the sun, see that it has just launched a big chunk of itself into space, and have advance warning before that chunk gets to you.

It's like on the Discworld.

The speed of light is about the same as the speed of sound. But there is a second speed of light which lets you see the first type of light. Or else, how would you be able to see how slow it is?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Am I supposed to be cheering for the antagonists in captain america and the winter soldier? What the gently caress

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Shudder's horror movies seem to suffer as so many do: the pay is not worth the setup and wait.

Didn't they have some film where this room would grant your every wish, but the caveat was, you couldn't leave the house with said item or thing?

Then in theory couldn't you wish for a yet-to-be-written-or-published bestseller, make a hand copy in said house, then go sell the copy?

I subscribe to shudder every few months or so when they add a new batch of movies. It's a pretty wide mix of some really good, a lot that are just mediocre, and some that are just plain bad. I think they have way too many old ones to pad their movie count.

I miss fearnet - no subscription and was pretty reliable at selecting movies I liked to watch.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Biplane posted:

Am I supposed to be cheering for the antagonists in captain america and the winter soldier? What the gently caress

I certainly think so. They're interesting in that you've got John Walker who's way too psyched to be Cap without thinking too hard about what that means, and you've got Carly who is fighting a good fight but going about it in increasingly violent and radicalized ways. In effect, Walker's doing the right thing for the wrong reason, while Carly's doing the wrong thing but for the right reason.

Edit: poo poo, I just realized you wrote "Captain America and the Winter Soldier" not "Falcon and the Winter Soldier"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I certainly think so. They're interesting in that you've got John Walker who's way too psyched to be Cap without thinking too hard about what that means, and you've got Carly who is fighting a good fight but going about it in increasingly violent and radicalized ways. In effect, Walker's doing the right thing for the wrong reason, while Carly's doing the wrong thing but for the right reason.

Edit: poo poo, I just realized you wrote "Captain America and the Winter Soldier" not "Falcon and the Winter Soldier"

Sorry I meant falcon and winter soldier. And carly specifically. e: carly did nothing wrong

Biplane has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Apr 25, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another dumb thing about the new Mortal Kombat is that when they meet with Raiden he talks about how Cole Young is from a special familial line that he's been watching over. Except he totally wasn't watching out for Cole and if it hadn't been for Jax and Sonya Cole would have been killed by Sub Zero.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

Another dumb thing about the new Mortal Kombat is that when they meet with Raiden he talks about how Cole Young is from a special familial line that he's been watching over. Except he totally wasn't watching out for Cole and if it hadn't been for Jax and Sonya Cole would have been killed by Sub Zero.

Sonya and Jax were on it, Raiden knew they would keep him alive

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I haven't watched the new one yet, but Raiden being a dipshit who messes up constantly is basically the plot hook of the last like 5 games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The impression I get is that Raiden gave up on that bloodline a long time ago, which is why Cole was an orphan who knew nothing and not raised in a monastery.

Raiden: "This is what I get for saving a baby? Disappointed!" *yeets baby into Chicago.*

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Biplane posted:

There's some compelling evidence (mainly provided from analysis by New Rockstars on YouTube) that the Flag Smashers plot line was altered as it initially involved a global virus that may have been purposely released in the public. Since COVID-19 happened and some legit concerns regarding conspiracy theories on its origin, there was significant rewrites and ADR work to change their storyline. Shame too as the Flag Smashers' plot line on how the world had to deal with refugees could've been a good story.

My IIMM about that show: the end credits is labelled Captain America & The Winter Soldier to show Sam's change, but poor Bucky doesn't get the moniker "The White Wolf" even though he successfully sheds the Winter Soldier persona.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think it's been brought up before but motherfucking sound mixing in almost any movie I watch. Action movies are particularly bad about it.

I have to turn the volume up way too loud to hear the dialog but if a train goes by or a gunfight breaks out, jesus christ it rattles the pictures off my walls. It's not my sound system settings either. I used to have Castaway on DVD and watched it a few times. My son and I streamed it today on the same TV and sound system and holy poo poo the thunderstorms, the big boat, the plane crash or anything involving sound effects was totally insane.

For a movie with so little dialog, a lot of it is pretty poignant and descriptive of Hanks character going crazy and battling against it -- my son was really absorbing it -- but there's no middle ground between hearing what's being said and making sure we really know THIS IS A BIG STORM!!!

The Dark Knight Trilogy is especially bad about this but I find it's kind of just become the norm over the last decade or so. Like, I get it. Bombs, firefights, shootouts and storms are loud, OK? Often times, even the MUSIC is too loving loud.

What's going on with this?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it's been brought up before but motherfucking sound mixing in almost any movie I watch. Action movies are particularly bad about it.

I have to turn the volume up way too loud to hear the dialog but if a train goes by or a gunfight breaks out, jesus christ it rattles the pictures off my walls. It's not my sound system settings either. I used to have Castaway on DVD and watched it a few times. My son and I streamed it today on the same TV and sound system and holy poo poo the thunderstorms, the big boat, the plane crash or anything involving sound effects was totally insane.

For a movie with so little dialog, a lot of it is pretty poignant and descriptive of Hanks character going crazy and battling against it -- my son was really absorbing it -- but there's no middle ground between hearing what's being said and making sure we really know THIS IS A BIG STORM!!!

The Dark Knight Trilogy is especially bad about this but I find it's kind of just become the norm over the last decade or so. Like, I get it. Bombs, firefights, shootouts and storms are loud, OK? Often times, even the MUSIC is too loving loud.

What's going on with this?

My paltry understanding is that it is two factors:

One - Movie, action ones especially, are mixed for full surround sound setups and then never given a secondary track for just stereo. So most in-home setups are gonna be lovely for it.

Two - That's just what some studio execs think is exciting. It's the coke-head's idea of good cinema and it gives me a nosebleed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crowetron posted:

I haven't watched the new one yet, but Raiden being a dipshit who messes up constantly is basically the plot hook of the last like 5 games.

I really hope it gets a sequel and I really hope it leans into Raiden being a complete and total fuckup who acts wise but has no idea what he’s doing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
New Mortal Kombat :
who are half these people?
I haven't really played a MK game since...
4? So I have no idea who the main character is. Was he created for the movie? Or does the game have a "Scorpion Jr." that is canonically a descendant of the first?
The rest of the Earth Champions I know, and it's good to know even the remake's version of Liu Kang is a no-personality boring husk of a human. But the Outworld guys? No clue who the dude with the hammer or flying woman are. And I'm assuming the reptilian dude is actually Reptile, though I don't know why in the two movies I've seen he's never seen in his human form I remember from the games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DrBouvenstein posted:

New Mortal Kombat :
who are half these people?
I haven't really played a MK game since...
4? So I have no idea who the main character is. Was he created for the movie? Or does the game have a "Scorpion Jr." that is canonically a descendant of the first?
The rest of the Earth Champions I know, and it's good to know even the remake's version of Liu Kang is a no-personality boring husk of a human. But the Outworld guys? No clue who the dude with the hammer or flying woman are. And I'm assuming the reptilian dude is actually Reptile, though I don't know why in the two movies I've seen he's never seen in his human form I remember from the games.

I'm pretty sure all but one person is an actual MK character. There's like 30 people on the roster now

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Len posted:

I'm pretty sure all but one person is an actual MK character. There's like 30 people on the roster now

Oh yeah, I'm not surprised, I haven't really played any of them in like 20 years. Aren't there also other IPs characters in the games now? Like a Terminator, Jason, etc...?

I just wanted more characters I knew from the classic 90s games that I don't think have appeared yet (though I've only seen clips of MK: Annihilation) like Baraka, Smoke, or one of the cyborgs?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Apr 25, 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Cole Young was created spefically for the movie; everyone else has been in a MK game of some sort.

My IIMM is movies based on an existing IP & creating a brand new character as an "audience surrogate they can relate to." I'm looking at you, John Meyers in the 2004 Hellboy...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Android Apocalypse posted:

Cole Young was created spefically for the movie; everyone else has been in a MK game of some sort.

My IIMM is movies based on an existing IP & creating a brand new character as an "audience surrogate they can relate to." I'm looking at you, John Meyers in the 2004 Hellboy...

Johnny Cage could have been slotted into Cole Young's spot and you wouldn't have to change the script at all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cole "Scorpy" Young

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
While I still don’t think the movie needed an original character, I was pleasantly surprised by Cole Young. It felt like there was gonna be some kind of weird divorce poo poo or conflict with his wife over him fighting, but nope, she even says “gently caress this” and hits Goro with an axe.

Honestly I left the theatre hoping they add him in a Kombat Pack for 11. Still not really a necessary addition but way better than it could have been.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was thinking that if you absolutely have to have the Cole Young character, a descendant of Hanzo, make the tension with Scorpion greater. Have Scorpion need a descendant to manifest, so when this Japanese ninja pops up in the modern day, he goes by Scorpion because he's possessing the body of Cole "The Scorpion" Young. As it is Scorpion is hardly in the movie except at the end.

Cole: "Oh no, I'm going to die and can't save my family."
Hanzo: "Not if this Grandpa has anything to say about it."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Scorpion’s whole thing also benefits heavily from him being a villain and gigantic rear end in a top hat at first, his redemption arc in the new games was fantastic

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
On a side note as someone who never played a Mortal Kombat game but is interested in the new ones, can I just jump into the new games and understand the story?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't like the newer mortal kombat games. They are so try-hard now where you actually have to know what you're doing and can't button mash your way to victory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

On a side note as someone who never played a Mortal Kombat game but is interested in the new ones, can I just jump into the new games and understand the story?

If you want to play modern Mortal Kombat you should start with no subtitle Mortal Kombat from 2011 aka MK9. That was the one that rebooted the series/story.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

VanSandman posted:

Johnny Cage could have been slotted into Cole Young's spot and you wouldn't have to change the script at all.

The setup for the sequel is Cole goes to Hollywood searching for Johnny Cage.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BiggerBoat posted:

Movies need sound sliders like computer games.

One for dialogue, one for music, one for sound effects. All the sounds are mixed separately when making the movie, so there's no reason they can't be separate on whatever release they sell to the public.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This actually might be rational but regarding the end of the new MK:

it hasn’t at any point been established that Cole knows Japanese. Scorpion tells him to protect the bloodline etc in Japanese and Cole just stands there like :geno: and says nothing nor acknowledged that he understood. Was just a weird moment that could have landed better if Scorpion had said it in English or Cole responded that he would in Japanese.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Heh I didn't notice that.

There is nothing that would indicate that Scorpion knows anything but Japanese (though apparently he could understand Sub Zero speaking Chinese) so the onus would have to be on Cole understanding Japanese.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

He has no problem saying “Get over here” in English :shrug:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Heh I didn't notice that.

There is nothing that would indicate that Scorpion knows anything but Japanese (though apparently he could understand Sub Zero speaking Chinese) so the onus would have to be on Cole understanding Japanese.

I thought at the beginning one of them makes a comment about him not understanding Chinese.

He does say “Get over here” so he at least knows that phrase.

We missed out on him saying “Get over here” and giving Cole a big grandpa hug :sigh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

One - Movie, action ones especially, are mixed for full surround sound setups and then never given a secondary track for just stereo. So most in-home setups are gonna be lovely for it.

Two - That's just what some studio execs think is exciting. It's the coke-head's idea of good cinema and it gives me a nosebleed.

Three - Maybe it's the director. Considering that Tenet also had horrendous mixing (especially considering that people were wearing masks half the time), it may just be that Nolan's ears are broken.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Even with my full surround setup i turn the center speaker way up. I also just bought a new one because, honestly i feel like its the most important speaker for movie watching. I can handle it when the explosions and car noises aren't as loud and clear as they can be but theres never been a situation where i don't want to hear whats being said in a movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
New mk movie

Kano didn't get a cybernetic eye for the laser.

COMPLETELY ruined the movie and took me out of the story :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't like the newer mortal kombat games. They are so try-hard now where you actually have to know what you're doing and can't button mash your way to victory.

The first three had AI players that were basically unbeatable unless you exploited specific blind spots. The single player is a big improvement now since you can actually play it like a fighting game instead of “the AI can’t handle if I do one specific thing all match”.

I remember cheesing sweeps all the way to the end of MK1... til I got to Shang Tsung who can’t be swept.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Biplane posted:

Sorry I meant falcon and winter soldier. And carly specifically. e: carly did nothing wrong

Carly firebombed a refugee home or something

My IIMM about that show: the end credits is labelled Captain America & The Winter Soldier to show Sam's change, but poor Bucky doesn't get the moniker "The White Wolf" even though he successfully sheds the Winter Soldier persona.

I hope they change that because it's going to get confused with the second Captain America movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

nexus6 posted:

Carly firebombed a refugee home or something

???????????????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

New mk movie

Kano didn't get a cybernetic eye for the laser.

COMPLETELY ruined the movie and took me out of the story :colbert:

He does have the laser eye though, as that's his MK power?
Or is this :thejoke:?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first three had AI players that were basically unbeatable unless you exploited specific blind spots. The single player is a big improvement now since you can actually play it like a fighting game instead of “the AI can’t handle if I do one specific thing all match”.

I remember cheesing sweeps all the way to the end of MK1... til I got to Shang Tsung who can’t be swept.

They actually reference that exploit in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6CgHe-kvI