Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still want to see a xeno facehugger knock up an android. Or would they have to find a cyborg for it?

I do like how the Queen nails Bishop; dude can't be used as an incubator but clearly is a threat. I don't recall the Alien xeno ever going after Ash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still want to see a xeno facehugger knock up an android. Or would they have to find a cyborg for it?

I do like how the Queen nails Bishop; dude can't be used as an incubator but clearly is a threat. I don't recall the Alien xeno ever going after Ash?

no its still in the ducts when ash is exposed (iirc right after dallas gets got), so theres not really an opportunity for them to "meet"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I never understand how everyone calls xenos 'perfect' in any way. Perfect predators, creatures, whatever. I mean, yeah they're lethal and good at ambush tactics, oh no clearly unstoppable beasts.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I also never understood how the Xenomorphs ate. What food/nourishment do they consume?

Coz they don't eat their victims, they either just kill, or carry back to the hive for insemination.

Also, how do they grow so fast? From the little bugger that burst from a stomach, to the big bastard that terrorized Ripley and Tom Skerrit. All so quickly and as mentioned above, with no apparent nutrient consumption.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That Italian Guy posted:

Bishop also mentions that Ash's type/model was "temperamental" and that, being older, did not have the behavioural chips that new models (like himself) have; and that it would be impossible for him to hurt a human being, or let them being hurt through his inaction. It seems like Ash's case was not unheard of; kinda like us looking back at asbestos insulation in hindsight - but with substantially more magazine-mouth-rape.

Sounds to me like the older models were simply able to be ordered to kill people or let them die like in the first movie and have 'malfunctions' used as scapegoats, and so the companies went out of their way to prevent that because it was hurting their bottom line.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like to think they weren't going to fix the "problem", but a few too many customers started questioning why the "scapegoat.dll" subroutine was even included in the first place so they had to remove it so that customers would start buying them again.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BrigadierSensible posted:

I also never understood how the Xenomorphs ate. What food/nourishment do they consume?

Coz they don't eat their victims, they either just kill, or carry back to the hive for insemination.

Also, how do they grow so fast? From the little bugger that burst from a stomach, to the big bastard that terrorized Ripley and Tom Skerrit. All so quickly and as mentioned above, with no apparent nutrient consumption.

I’ll quote myself from the Aliens thread in GBS a while back

Torquemada posted:

This caused me to think pretty hard about Aliens. They’re a bit too lethal for an animal that needs a living host to breed, aren’t they? Every head popped by a set of inner jaws is one less xenomorph running around, which should be the main goal of the species. If it was established they actually eat people it’d make a little more sense.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not sure if it's ever mentioned in the movies or just in the EU, but apparently they can eat literally anything to survive. No it doesn't make sense.

Morpheus posted:

I never understand how everyone calls xenos 'perfect' in any way. Perfect predators, creatures, whatever. I mean, yeah they're lethal and good at ambush tactics, oh no clearly unstoppable beasts.

Ash calls them the perfect organisms in the first film, but also immediately begins idolizing the one on the Nostromo and seems like he's viewing it through the lens of an android burdened with artificial emotions and morals:

quote:

Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Lambert: You admire it.

Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

I think Aliens referred to the Xenomorphs as the perfect bioweapon (which is fair, I suppose, drop an egg on a populated planet and come back in a few years and it'll probably just have xenomorphs left) but after that... yeah, I think the writers forgot the contexts of people calling them perfect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

I'm not sure if it's ever mentioned in the movies or just in the EU, but apparently they can eat literally anything to survive. No it doesn't make sense.

Ash calls them the perfect organisms in the first film, but also immediately begins idolizing the one on the Nostromo and seems like he's viewing it through the lens of an android burdened with artificial emotions and morals:

I think Aliens referred to the Xenomorphs as the perfect bioweapon (which is fair, I suppose, drop an egg on a populated planet and come back in a few years and it'll probably just have xenomorphs left) but after that... yeah, I think the writers forgot the contexts of people calling them perfect.

of course there isn't much use in a xenomorph infested planet, a lot of bioweapons would od a better job of not ruining the real estate

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

There was a scene that was either cut from the shooting script or just not filmed of the alien raiding the nostromo's food stores to explain how it managed to grow from the chestburster to a hulking seven foot monstrosity, and there's stuff in the expanded universe of them eating people or livestock for sustainance.

I personally think its better when they lean into the eldritch horror side of things where they just don't make SENSE and should not BE. Digging into biology and a scientific explanation of how they work isn't really the point.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds to me like the older models were simply able to be ordered to kill people or let them die like in the first movie and have 'malfunctions' used as scapegoats, and so the companies went out of their way to prevent that because it was hurting their bottom line.
Oh yeah this is definitely the Company covering their asses/the official version, but what I was saying is that it was probably not the only time they had such an "accident".

Randalor posted:

Ash calls them the perfect organisms in the first film, but also immediately begins idolizing the one on the Nostromo and seems like he's viewing it through the lens of an android burdened with artificial emotions and morals.
This is a major theme in Prometheus and Covenant so you can absolutely draw a direct line from Ash to David. Or I guess the other way around since those are prequels.

Randalor posted:

That's always an annoying trope, be it dinosaurs or xenomorphs. A perfect bioweapon? A new virus that is super contagious, super deadly and kills itself after a month. Or you could have an infesting, uncontrollable lifeform that is able to reproduce on its own and grows almost linearly with the amount of enemies it kills, I guess it's about the same :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tunicate posted:

of course there isn't much use in a xenomorph infested planet, a lot of bioweapons would od a better job of not ruining the real estate

Pretty good for going scorched earth. The kind of people who would deploy xenomorphs as bioweapons are not the kind of people who worry about inhabitability.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In fairness, the Xenomorphs being actually a kind of lovely bioweapon still works because the corps in the Alien universe are dumb as poo poo. You just know some exec firmly believes that all you need to do is drop a couple of eggs on a planet, wait a month, then just send in the marines for cleanup, bada bing bada boom, so easy. And no matter how many times private Dickhead comes back from such a mission with a xenomorph embryo implanted and inadvertently leads to yet another space station, colony, or ship being lost with all hands, that same exec will keep insisting that they're just not doing it right and if they'd just listen to him it'd all work out as planned.

Also, it does make a bit more sense specifically in the context of space colonization, where a lot of colonies might be in a hostile biosphere (or just space) that by itself wouldn't support life. So in that case, theoretically you could let the xenomorphs do their thing and then would "just" have wait until they starve or go dormant because there's no more nutrition around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The idea that they were made by mysterious aliens apparently as a maximum-cruelty extinction event causing bioweapon certainly does make a lot more sense.

Also them eating literally anything works a little better given supposedly their circulatory and digestive systems are pretty much the same thing- acidic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

That's always an annoying trope, be it dinosaurs or xenomorphs. A perfect bioweapon? A new virus that is super contagious, super deadly and kills itself after a month. Or you could have an infesting, uncontrollable lifeform that is able to reproduce on its own and grows almost linearly with the amount of enemies it kills, I guess it's about the same :v:

It's even more annoying if you know about how people have tried to weaponize animals and it has always backfired. Animals is basically only useful as a means to transport something, be it weapons, soldiers or messages. They're useless as weapons.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I always figured they where called perfect because they could become the apex and thrive in any environment in the universe. maybe not a sun but 99% of the planets and moons and ships and space is thumbs up for an xenoman.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

datajugend posted:

I always figured they where called perfect because they could become the apex and thrive in any environment in the universe. maybe not a sun but 99% of the planets and moons and ships and space is thumbs up for an xenoman.

"Ahem. I think you'll find that in every movie, humans always beat the xenomorphs. Therefore, humans are the apex lifeforms."
:goonsay:

But there is some sense in W-Y wanting to get a xenomorph to study in the first two movies because "Study the creature and figure out what chemical kills it, then drop an egg or two on a planet, wait a few months or years, pick up the mining rights for the planet for pennies on the dollar, then come back and douse the planet in said chemical to kill the xenomorphs" is probably a lot cheaper than having to deal with things like "colonists" or "governing bodies" or "wars". At least I'm assuming that was the thought process in Aliens for W-Y wanting it.

Or maybe W-Y just has an H.R. Gieger fetish, even back when Alien and Aliens were written. Who knows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weyland-Yutani is run by Elon Musk's descendant.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Tunicate posted:

If your only goal is genocide, however...

edit: shoulda refreshed before posting

Mr. Belpit has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Oct 3, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Also, Weyland-Yutani doesn't have to use it themselve. Just sell the xenomorphs to the highest bidder and if that bidder gets eaten then it's not W-Y's problem.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

It's even more annoying if you know about how people have tried to weaponize animals and it has always backfired. Animals is basically only useful as a means to transport something, be it weapons, soldiers or messages. They're useless as weapons.

I mean, guard and police dogs exist, but that's kind of the exception that proves the rule, right? They have to be trained extensively to attack people without turning on their handlers, and that's not something xenomorphs seem to be capable of.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phy posted:

I mean, guard and police dogs exist, but that's kind of the exception that proves the rule, right? They have to be trained extensively to attack people without turning on their handlers, and that's not something xenomorphs seem to be capable of.

It's not the breed, it's the trainer

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phy posted:

Apparently it is not uncommon for police dogs to attack cops who are also pursuing the same suspect, if said cops are running. It's known that if the dogs are out you pull your arms in.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Given the number of times cops kill police dogs that seems completely understandable.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Given the number of times cops kill police dogs that seems completely understandable.

even the dogs are trained to respond with violence under the mantle of self defense

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Randalor posted:

"Ahem. I think you'll find that in every movie, humans always beat the xenomorphs. Therefore, humans are the apex lifeforms."
:goonsay:

But there is some sense in W-Y wanting to get a xenomorph to study in the first two movies because "Study the creature and figure out what chemical kills it, then drop an egg or two on a planet, wait a few months or years, pick up the mining rights for the planet for pennies on the dollar, then come back and douse the planet in said chemical to kill the xenomorphs" is probably a lot cheaper than having to deal with things like "colonists" or "governing bodies" or "wars". At least I'm assuming that was the thought process in Aliens for W-Y wanting it.

Or maybe W-Y just has an H.R. Gieger fetish, even back when Alien and Aliens were written. Who knows.
Burke does mention that the medical and materials research implications would be quite valuable, and when you put it that way "insta-growth, super durable, uinique-properties-off-the-wazoo" research specimen suddenly becomes a lot more sensible as a target to acquire.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Speaking of Alien, the best Alien related media in existence.
https://youtu.be/cqzYjWLqgNA

Hopefully this works. On app and am incompetent.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That better be a link to the Capcom side scroller beat-em-up where you can play as Dutch but he has a giant robot arm.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In Event Horizon, is Peters the only one Dr. Weir is upset to find dead because she was the only one who was nice to him, or because he wasn't loving batshit insane yet?

drat do I love that movie.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 109: Sasuke has a bigger bed than I do.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Did so many people complain about them staying on the main floor in Night of the Living Dead that Dawn was in the attick and Day was in a basement? That was always a thing I didn't understand. just pile the stairs with stuff and stay upstairs being quiet seems like a good move.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

nesamdoom posted:

Did so many people complain about them staying on the main floor in Night of the Living Dead that Dawn was in the attick and Day was in a basement? That was always a thing I didn't understand. just pile the stairs with stuff and stay upstairs being quiet seems like a good move.

Brendan Gleeson does that in 28 Days Later, just piled shopping carts and other junk into the staircase and waited at the top of the stairs in body armor and a huge club.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nesamdoom posted:

That was a central plot point of the original film and I think was a clever way of painting two of the central characters with a broad brush; where the "bad guy" turned out to be right in the end while the smart good guy made a series of really dumb decisions. It was made even better by casting a black actor in the heroic lead role which was very much not done back then.

I don't know if it any of it "made people complain" or not and I'm not sure why it would since the general idea is that no one would know what the gently caress to do in an unprecedented situation like that and for sure there'd be a lot of arguing about within any group. Both Ben and Harry had sound arguments with different reasoning behind them. Could be an homage to the debate though, like you said, and I'm over thinking it.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

BiggerBoat posted:

That was a central plot point of the original film and I think was a clever way of painting two of the central characters with a broad brush; where the "bad guy" turned out to be right in the end while the smart good guy made a series of really dumb decisions. It was made even better by casting a black actor in the heroic lead role which was very much not done back then.

I don't know if it any of it "made people complain" or not and I'm not sure why it would since the general idea is that no one would know what the gently caress to do in an unprecedented situation like that and for sure there'd be a lot of arguing about within any group. Both Ben and Harry had sound arguments with different reasoning behind them. Could be an homage to the debate though, like you said, and I'm over thinking it.

I also could just be overthinking it since that just came up in my head.

Grendels Dad posted:

Brendan Gleeson does that in 28 Days Later, just piled shopping carts and other junk into the staircase and waited at the top of the stairs in body armor and a huge club.

That was a good setup. didn't they like have a party and invite like the whole city by being dumb?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So I found out ER is on HBO Max and I've been binging it, or maybe just having it on in the background pretty much non stop for a couple of weeks now while I do other stuff, and it's a drat good show but there's this one thing that's constantly annoying me that's actually irrational:

Carter just looks like such a baby throughout the whole thing. I'm halfway through S08 now and I get that he's the one main character the show follows, it started out with his first day after all, and I get that he ages but he just simply doesn't look it. We're 8 seasons in and he still looks like the young guppy he was in the first season, so all the the relationships and sexual tension and all that just feels off. There was a thing in S07 where he dates 19 year old and everyone makes fun of him for that and I'm like dude looks like he's early 20s so what's the big deal? I appreciate how he's becoming more confident and skilled as he ages and everything just fits with his character arc except for the part where he physically just doesn't seem to age at all. He's in this weird love triangle thing now where he's involved with both Abby and Susan who are both obviously in their thirties and it's a good story line except that he just doesn't look the part.

I guess he (the actor) just has those same genes that Keanu Reeves has where can you pull off looking a decade or even two younger than you actually are but it's really putting me off when it goes from first a debacle where he dates someone too young for his age (even though it seems entirely fine) to where two age appropriate women are interested in him (even though he seems too young for either of them but actually isn't), you know?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Taeke posted:

There was a thing in S07 where he dates 19 year old and everyone makes fun of him for that and I'm like dude looks like he's early 20s so what's the big deal?

Uhhh...are you aware how linear time works?

He would have started his residency between 23(at BEST) and 27. Seven years later he's at least 30. He was too old to date a 19 year old when he STARTED in his mid 20s, and way too old by season 7.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Oct 4, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
FWIW Noah Wyle was only barely 23 when the show started airing, so it's fair to assume the character's about in that age range as well.

Sometimes it's easy to forget a character is a certain age if they look younger or older. I remember thinking Amy Poehler looked about 10 years older than Adam Scott when they were on Parks and Rec together and thought that romance was kind of an odd choice, but they're less than 2 years apart.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Uhhh...are you aware how linear time works?

He would have started his residency between 23(at BEST) and 27. Seven years later he's at least 30, probably closer to 33/34. He was too old to date a 19 year old when he STARTED in his mid 20s, and way too old by season 7.

Did you miss the entire point of my post where I acknowledge that it's entirely irrational because I know that in actual fact both the actor and the character are old enough to make it awkward at best and creepy at worst, as the show intended, but the issue is the fact that the actor looks younger than he actually is throughout?

I even referenced goddamn Keanu Reeves and his unaging good looks to make my point. Like duh I understand how linear time works, and the fact that the actor superficially seems to defy exactly that (he looks exactly the same almost a decade in) is the whole reason this is an irrational complaint.

How could I have made my point any clearer?

Also I disagree with your premise that he would've been too old at the start of the show. A 23-25 year old dating an almost 20 year old is fine. They make a point of exactly that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nesamdoom posted:

I also could just be overthinking it since that just came up in my head.

Yeah, maybe. I dunno. Still an interesting observation though.

Truth is, very few people had given much thought as to the best approach to handling a zombie apocalypse in 1968. Unlike now where decades of video game simulations and board games have prepared us for this precise situation. So it's easy to sit back and nitpick the decisions of 6 people trapped in a house being chased by their dead relatives.

On the one hand, the basement was a fortress and had lots of food. On the other hand, there's no way out if the undead breach the door and/or the supplies run out. Then you've got the wildcard of infected zombie daughter down there and even once Ben says gently caress it, get's overrun and books it down there, he gets capped by the first white cop he sees once he gets out. Which is probably one of the most realistic things in the film.

In closing, zombie outbreaks are lands of contrast and largely determined by the time of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, maybe. I dunno. Still an interesting observation though.

Truth is, very few people had given much thought as to the best approach to handling a zombie apocalypse in 1968. Unlike now where decades of video game simulations and board games have prepared us for this precise situation. So it's easy to sit back and nitpick the decisions of 6 people trapped in a house being chased by their dead relatives.

On the one hand, the basement was a fortress and had lots of food. On the other hand, there's no way out if the undead breach the door and/or the supplies run out. Then you've got the wildcard of infected zombie daughter down there and even once Ben says gently caress it, get's overrun and books it down there, he gets capped by the first white cop he sees once he gets out. Which is probably one of the most realistic things in the film.

In closing, zombie outbreaks are lands of contrast and largely determined by the time of day.

Dawn would have worked out for them if the biker's didn't mess it up and Day would have been ok if not for them keeping a hoard inside. Both more thought out than the gathering of strangers(they almost made it) and still doomed. Even Survival they had a friggin island and just wouldn't put down the zombies. Maybe Ramero made them all to say that humans are dumb.