Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CJacobs posted:

Bane's voice in that movie is so drat stupid. God it's so stupid.

Agreed, Hardy has a decent speaking voice, I wish they'd have just let him lower his tone a bit rather than that weirdly high-pitched fumbly accent thing he did. Either that or have someone else voice him that has a more ominous voice and actually sounds threatening.

KoB posted:

Have you played Diablo? He sounds like younger Deckard Cain when he says "Stay a while and listen"

:monocle: Holy poo poo, spot on - it's Deckard talking into a soup can, basically

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Because they'd have to cast The Rock, then people would get confused by "Rock Samson" and think it was a live-action Venture Bros movie, then when they found out that wasn't the case there would be a riot.

Studio Execs have to take this kind of stuff into consideration.

I never knew until this post how much I wanted to see Rock with a flowing blonde mullet :allears:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

I dream of becoming a trillionaire and funding a Jurassic Park sequel with nothing but perfectly-designed animatronic models.

And then mounting rockets and machine guns on them to take over the world, because come on, why not.

Motherfucking Dino-Riders live action would be amazing

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

"Reboots"/sequels of older movies that, instead of trying to expand on the original theme, just try and reproduce nearly the same exact movie with different people. I'm especially thinking of Kindergarten Cop 2 with Dolph Lundgren and the entirely unnecessary remake of cabin fever that came out this year. Why did these movies need to be made? There's nothing new whatsoever about them, and in the case of Cabin Fever it's seriously almost a shot for shot remake, the plot is almost exactly the same.

It's called "playing it safe" because production companies are pussies about steering away from specific formulas. It's exactly why Star Wars TFR was almost literally a shot-for-shot retelling of the first 3 SW movies, just with characters that had different names. Same reason that some movie adaptations from books, games or other media end up being lovely, because the producers butcher the plot and take out important info to the point that it's almost an entirely different story.

There's a reason a lot of really good movies in the last decade have been indie hits that didn't have massive budgets and weren't part of big studios - independent filmmakers are willing to take a chance and not be total pussies looking for a quick cash grab by making a 27th sequel to a lovely movie that shouldn't have had a sequel, let alone multiple.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Something that bugs me about the Wonder Woman movie is how when she's just going around London and traveling she has her hair tied up but then she goes into combat and she lets her hair down. Which seems like it would just get in the way.

Didn't she have it braided and out of the way during the early training fight scenes too?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

Tony Stark made a goddamned magic asgardian belt?

He calls it the "Assguardian" :haw:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The most recent one was definitely way better than Age of Extinction. It still wasn't great but it was entertaining.

The main problem with those movies is Bay insists on them being like 2.5 hours every time and they always drag at some point because of it. Just make a tight 1hr 40 minute movie about giant robots fighting each other, not sure what's so difficult about that.

That was my gripe too, at most they should've been between 90-120 minutes, some were close to 3 hours & felt like they dragged on

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

it's blowing my mind to find out that a woman voiced bobby hill

he sounded so manly

If you haven't seen it already, check out I Know That Voice - has a ton of really fun voice actors (including Pam Adlon) & it's hilarious to get a lot of the backstories for how they came up with certain characters

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

I am enraged by guns in movies that sound like a drawer full of scrap metal every time someone moves them, as if the director/sound engineer has subconsciously associated the sound of a pump action with any outside force acting on the weapon.

Dude raises his rifle to take aim: TCHK CLICK CHK SHACLICK TICK

Dude pulls a single-action revolver from its soft leather holster: TICKTICK CLICK CHICKADICK

This & also for me, the tire screeching sound effects for cars. I've seen plenty of new & old movies where they do the sound effect of tires screeching on pavement, but they're driving on dirt in a desert or some poo poo. It's the stupidest thing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Well, in keeping with Ridley Scott's tradition, the next one will be called Fassbender3 :colbert:

Fass & The Furious

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

New mk movie

Kano didn't get a cybernetic eye for the laser.

COMPLETELY ruined the movie and took me out of the story :colbert:

Guessing that even though Kano got taken out along with Goro & Sub-Zero later, they'll likely come back in a sequel. Sonya slamming that chunk of metal in his face gives them an excuse to bust out the half-metal cyborg eye later. Betting that Shang Tsung uses his soul powers to bring some of the dead back & introduce some other characters too, they haven't touched on a good chunk of the roster yet, including Shao Khan.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was dumb that they did some weird mix of old and new designs for characters. Also it was really bizarre that they go to Heaven and learn that normal people don't get an afterlife, only heroes do.

Designs were likely a licensing thing, I remember when that He-Man reboot happened back in like 2002-03 they had to change some stuff (like the cross on He-Man's chest going from 4 prong to 6 prong)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Reminds me of the first Uncharted game where they find a WWII sub in a waterfall in the jungle.

So Uncharted is just a game sequel to Down Periscope, gotcha

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

I actually like X:Men Wolverine Origins.

I like Liev Schrieber's Sabretooth.

What they did with Deadpool is indeed stupid, but if you can overlook that, it is a fun little film where Hugh Jackman gets to growl around and be tough and manly. Which is fun.

And also why I liked the Old Man Logan movie. Hugh Jackman is ace!

Schrieber was awesome as Sabretooth, his look & attitude fit perfectly IMHO. Really wish they'd do something more with him, I know a lot of people felt like it would've been awesome to have a fully fleshed out movie using the Wolverine Origins intro where both are fighting through various wars/time periods together.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

The Matrix has a bunch of practical effects that are only there for a split second and not really visible in SD.

Like the hidden camera in the reflection of the door knob.

Just throw a blanket over it and paint it to match Morpheus' tie.

Reminds me of when I watched the original X-Men movie a couple years back in 1080 HD - some of the CGI effects were really obvious, one that stood out was the scene when Wolverine has a nightmare & stabs Rogue by mistake. The claws poking out of her back/shoulder definitely didn't blend right in HD, it looked like a hastily cobbled-together low res GIF overlay.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess. But if that were the case, you'd think he'd crank up the dialogue. I can't watch any of his movies without my sound remote next to me.

I wonder if it's not just him, but sound mixing in general in modern movies. Most movies I've seen over like the past decade have horrible mixing where the music & sound effects are BLASTING but voices are whisper quiet (unless there's no background noise). I think I heard something about studios not bothering to change up the audio for people using home setups, so it always ends up sounding off-balance & lovely coming from a home theater setup vs. IMAX or a regular theater.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I don't know if The Backrooms stuff counts as creepypasta, but its definitely another House of Leaves ripoff.

I remember another one called Dionaea House that was similar too, hard to believe the story came out back around 06

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

So maybe this has been covered before but it kinda bugs me...

In Interstellar, Cooper starts out talking to Murph's teachers about his old science/astronomy books. The lady teacher specifically mentions they have "corrected" versions about how the whole space race was a hoax to fool the USSR.

So with that in mind, how'd we go from "the moon landing was fake" to a loving space station in less than a century? Like, I get that that's a massive time gap, but there's no explanation of how we jumped from science, to science-fiction/propaganda & back again, then somehow ended up on this colossal space colony near Saturn.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

The most annoying bit is that Velma is the entire reason the relationship fell apart. Shaggy was clearly trying to make it work, then tries to be pleasant with her after breaking it off, and she's just not having it, accusing him of dumping her for a dog. First of all, the dog was there first and secondly they have a very different relationship. Shaggy isn't trying to have a romantic relationship with Scooby, scooby's just used to a certain level of attention and takes it personally when that attention is diverted, because no matter how brilliantly intelligent he is he's STILL A DOG. Velma should know better.

I am willing to be fair though and put some of the blame of Shaggy because he's kind of scared to let Scooby know because he knows him well enough to know how he'll react badly, and he should have tried harder to emotionally prepare his dog for the situation.

I always saw Scooby & Shaggy as kind of a parent-child dynamic. Scooby's smart but he can be impulsive like a kid & Shaggy is trying to protect/teach him while also being the "fun stoner dad".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Interstellar might have incredibly accurate science or whatever but not one of the protagonists would last six hours in the Prometheus universe

They're a bunch of dummies

You ain't kidding, especially on Miller's planet with the giant wave/tide. it was probably covered before but the part where Brand is trying to get Miller's data, gets stuck & Doyle just kind of...stands around like an idiot really bugged me. Doyle had plenty of time to get back to the ship after TARS got Brand (hell TARS could've helped Doyle out too) but he stands outside the ship & gets blasted by the wave. There was absolutely no reason for Doyle to die, even if they tried playing up the "higher gravity" aspect of the planet.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

Finally got around to watching Prey and it's incredible right up until the easter egg at the end pulled me out of the film completely.

You mean the gun that ties things back to Predator 2? I thought it was a nice touch honestly, wish more movies would include little nods or canon like that.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Back to the Matrix. It always bugged me that people in the Matrix have to dial out to separate cleanly or they die. I understand they did this for plot purposes, but it still bugs the hell out of me. It's a simulation, you're just feeding sense data to the brain, but if you stop feeding that data in one way people are corpsed and if you stop feeding that data another way, they're fine? Makes no sense. On one hand the movie could be trying to suggest that there's some vital spirit or essence or soul that *literally departs the body* and travels into this other *physical place* called the Matrix and if you sever the connection you leave the soul trapped in the machine so the body dies, but the film doesn't engage with this notion in any other way than "The body cannot live without the *mind*." The mind is just an emergent property of the brain, it hasn't gone anywhere, it's still in the freaking body. It's just as if if you turned off the power switch on a machine, the machine turns off, but if you unplug it, it explodes.

Funny thing is that it likely could've made more sense if they stuck with the original neural network idea instead of batteries. It makes sense when you think if it like a computer rather than a battery - when you power down or reboot a system, nothing bad happens. But if you unplug it from the wall or try to remove the "brain" (processor) while it's running, you'll kill it entirely. With a battery it doesn't make sense - when you take a battery out of a device, the device stops working but the battery can still hold a charge, it's not like the battery has a consciousness that gets "stuck" in the device it was pulled from.

Personally I wish they'd kept the neural net idea then delved into stuff like mental illness, e.g. peoples' brains being fragile/overloaded which causes problems for them inside the Matrix (schizophrenia, behavior problems, hallucinations, etc.). Even could have somewhat explained how Neo had powers outside the Matrix instead of "there's another fake-out Matrix that looks like the real world" that people talked about. Would've been cool to see other concepts delved into & there'd have been tons of ideas to expand on for sequels/prequels.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The new movie is basically just like a fanfic sequel someone wrote to introduce their own versions of the characters and it's just not very good. I don't think there was a single fight scene where neo did Kung Fu.

I will say that Neil Patrick Harris was amazing though.

Matrix 4 felt to the OG Matrix like Force Awakens felt to Empire Strikes Back. Pretty obvious lazy rehash with some minor changes that tried (& failed IMHO) to plug up plot holes or add different twists, mainly for a cash grab.

Just give people what they want - reboot the series with the info from Animatrix as a prequel, combine the battery/neural network ideas from the originals, then maybe make one sequel if there's a lot to cover. I mean hell, they covered quite a bit of info in the 20-30 minutes of the Second Renaissance 1 & 2, imagine if they could expand on that more. Won't happen but it's fun to think about.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Throw in a narrator song what's happening in the screen and the player's character bitching about a bad roll and I'd definitely tune in.

"Dirk Lightheart loads his crossbow, aims... and some manages to shoot behind himself and hit Ogthrug the barbarian in the throat. Sorry Ogthrug"

Dirk: DAMMIT THAT WASN'T A CRITICAL FAILURE IT WAS JUST A TWO

Ogthrug : *gurgles and waves arms around before fainting*

Orc they were fighting : :orks: Stupid human can't roll for poo poo!

Dirk: YOU CAN'T EVEN COUNT YOU ILLITERATE gently caress!

If they could pull this off similar to Lego Movie where they switch between reality & the game, that'd be hilarious

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

FFT posted:

Cabin in the Woods was dumb, that's what makes it great

:hfive: One of my favorite goofy-rear end horror movies. Anyone nit-picking this or other movies like it are probably in the same camp as hardcore car nuts calling out Fast & Furious stunts. Like, that's the point - it's supposed to be dumb, entertaining fun & not taken seriously.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

In terms of sound, can we discuss voice acting? I absolutely hate it all of the ice age movies because it sounded like Ray Romano's character was literally him just reading off a script from everybody loves raymond.

Voice acting is really hard. And it says something when you have a distinguished voice like Tony j, and it doesn't take away from the character at all. Compared to say some of DreamWorks stuff where they cast a big name celebrity but it literally could be anyone in the role.

And then there's Peter cullen, anytime someone voices Optimus prime, looking at you Netflix and your cruddy war for Cybertron, he is the voice for that character. I know there's plenty of people who can do decent impressions, but I remember watching an interview where he was discussing coming back from Vietnam and he was just a grunt and his older brother was a marine and was pretty high up in ranking, and he told his older brother that he was going to do some voice acting audition for a truck. A hero truck though, not just an ordinary truck, and his brother told him that real heroes don't look like they do in the movies, not everything is snappy one-liners and being a pure Stone Cold badass. A real hero is strong enough to be gentle. And while Peter Cullen is talking about this in his normal voice, he does a very Hollywood kind of, I am Optimus prime, yeah like you would expect from a snappy one liner, and then compares to his usual deep voice I am Optimus prime and I swear every time I hear it I get goosebumps.

Cullen & Welker are two of my all-time favorite voice actors - not just the voices but their general demeanor. Blew me away when I first heard Frank talking & realized his natural voice is Fred from Scooby Doo, just slightly lower. Plus they're so wholesome together whenever they do any interviews or entertainment panels :3:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Bet he gives a great hummer

Only cuz he's got a little tweeter

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Most of the Twisted Tales books are fun in a similar way, like showing how pathetic a lot of the villains really are, like in the Sleeping Beauty book "Once Upon a Dream" a good amount of Aurora's confrontation with Maleficent is her realising what a loser she really is under her power. "I have had so many friends and allies that have got me where I am right now. What do you have? A bird?!" There's also a fun moment where Maleficent responds to a thought Aurora has in a somewhat inventive way that confuses the prince because he wasn't privy to it, and when he expresses that confusion Aurora simply explains the in-joke and just dismisses it with "She's trying to be cute, ignore her."

Reading this reminds me I want to see more messed up takes on different Disney properties. Imagine someone bringing American McGee's Alice to film with all the darker background story elements or taking an idea like Meatcanyon's Pinocchio short & making it into a horror film.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I want to see the lead girl in prey in a film with Aubrey plaza where they play clones of each other and wacky hijinks ensue while they are attempting to assassinate the pope or something.

FFT posted:

They have to team up with Tobey Maguire and Elijah Wood to defeat an infinite army of Zooey Deschanels

Don't forget they need to cast Daniel Radcliffe as Elijah wood as well.

Randalor posted:

Daniel Radcliffe playing Elijah Wood and Elijah Wood playing Daniel Radcliffe. Reveal partway through that it'd actually Daniel Radcliffe playing Elijah Wood playing Daniel Radcliffe and Elijah Wood playing Daniel Radcliffe playing Elijah Wood. Also, every so often have a scene or two where people call them by the wrong names just to really gently caress with people.

This sounds like a Mel Brooks remake of The Prestige :lol:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Or when the transit official is carrying out the unconscious train driver. The metal supports are melting but the guy can still breathe.

Wasn't there also a scene where a truck is magically driving over lava & the tires/rims don't melt? :lol:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

SimonChris posted:

"Powerless" had this really great gag in which Lois Lane dies, and everyone takes for granted that Superman is going to turn back time, so they can do whatever they want with no consequences. But then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WdZBBnRAo

This brought to mind that I'd really like to see a TV or movie version of the Marvel Ruins graphic novels. I know Marvel has the whole What If series but Ruins was pretty gritty & messed up with how it handled the "alternate" versions of heroes. Incredible Hulk & Fantastic 4 were a couple of my favorites, the illustration & description of events was pretty gruesome.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Fair enough, yeah...I didn't care for the Jean angle either but stuff with F4, Avengers, Hulk & the Kree were all pretty cool. Just fun to see an alt take that isn't "we switched this person's powers/side to that/those people instead"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Too woke? Or not woke enough? I can never tell these days.

Haven't seen it but after seeing all the live-action remakes, story rehashes & everything else I'd place my bets more on "people are tired of Disney beating dead horses into a fine mist"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

It's just not fair that Judge Dredd is the one character that can maintain wearing a mask all the time but everyone else is desperate to take theirs off like its a hydraulic press. I'm just waiting for someone in a Marvel movie to get sniped mid helmet-free banter scene.

poo poo, it's not fair we didn't get more Dredd with Karl Urban, but that's more a rational irritation

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Frank Welker has 3 4 styles, Fred from Scooby Doo, nibbler from futurama's animal noises, nibbler from futurama's melodramatic speaking voice, and the cave of wonders from Aladdin.

FTFY

BiggerBoat posted:

I saw Spawn in theaters too because I got free tickets and liked the comic, along with the HBO show.

It sucked but for free it was Ok and plus I was high as a motherfucker. The weird detail that stands out for me is, while waiting in the lobby or concession stand, I overheard someone looking at the posters say "that's that FREAK movie". No idea what "non freak" film they had bought tickets for.

That's all I remember about SPawn aside from John Leguizamo chewing scenery.

Leguizamo was the best part of that movie

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

One of the more irritating bits of Spider-Lore is treating "With great power comes great responsibility" as some quaint saying Uncle Ben would give Peter all the time, when in the original comic origin story, it's simply the lesson Peter learned from Ben's death, and only appears in the narration.

"With great power comes great ricesponsibility" - Uncle Ben's

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

rydiafan posted:

Chapter 2's biggest flaw was the inexplicable need to be funny every 30 seconds. Just be scary, drat it. What the hell is this poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRahVWONPqs

That was my take too, I get having some small humor bits but the tone felt WAY off the entire movie. First one nailed the feel, all they needed was to follow that & maybe amp it up a little.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Armacham posted:

Why do batman movies always need at least two villains working together

Probably just the old trope of "we can't beat him individually, so let's try collectively". I'll give a pass to TDKR though since it felt way rushed/changed after Ledger's passing.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Nov 16, 2023

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Super Mario Bros. Movie
Not a great movie and it did have some irritating movie moments:

What exactly is Mario's character arc? He never have a major crisis of faith, he doesn't develop into a good selfless character because that's who has always been,He doesn't even get good at fighting and jumping, he just randomly picks the best power ups. Luigi has more of an arc and he's hardly in the movie.

A major parr of the movie is about getting the Kong army to fight with the Mushroom Kingdom. The majority of the movie is about that.But then the entire army gets captured by Bowser and Mario, Peach and Kong still easily defeat Bowser. Why did they need the army so bad?

The movie completely yada yadas why Peach became princess. Is there a prophecy? Is humans special in this world? The movie certainly doesn't care about that.

Calling it now: they'll make a couple sequels that follow some of the Mario lore, like how the second game was "just a dream". They'll loop back to the part in SMB1 where Mario/Luigi were on the broken pipe & smashed through the wall to find that "secret" area, only to find out they got knocked out & the whole rest of the movie didn't really happen. It sounds stupid but I wouldn't put it past the studio/production to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

My thought too, I remembered seeing him first in the '02 Spider-Man...turns out Oz was 5 years prior in '97. I swore Oz came out sometime in the '00s, what the hell :psyduck: