Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Nolan batman movies piss me off.

Why?

Because we have a guy who's supposed to be the BEST EVER FIGHTER IN THE WORLD and he fights like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Electro's gear was made by Oscorp. Same with that DS game thing stuck on the side of his head.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Scuse me, those were Vita-Rays, not Magic Science Rays.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the way it works is, if you are bitten, you are a lower class vamp. If you are born into the family, you are a higher class vamp.

Biologically, I don't think they are dead. I think they are just a predator subspecies. The whole "viral" thing with the first movie and the retrovirus cure thingie, etc.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Saw Godzilla last night, and while I did enjoy it on the whole one thing bugged me. Every time a building collapsed, Elizabeth Olsen was in a subway station underneath it.

Also Elizabeth Olsen is from the Uncanny Valley, but that's nothing to do with the movie - and besides, I'd rather see a weird looking person in movies than suffer an endless stream of identikit Barbie dolls. Real life has weird and ugly people, movies irritate me when they don't.

Does she suffer from Lois Lane syndrome where she somehow teleports all over the god damned world to be involved in the movie, like in Man of Steel?

Haven't seen the big G yet, but just curious.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, there's a difference between "making not alive anymore" and "wiping out from all existence in the universe".

Mainly cause "making not alive anymore" means you might have an afterlife. The other means you literally no longer exist in any way, form, or shape.

Sort of a more horrible fate.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the only dudes in the movies who DIDN'T end up in a short story were the TK 421 dude who got his armor yoinked when they inspected the falcon, and the ice cream dude on Bespin.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The thing that bugged the crap out of me was Eisenberg. God drat I get it, he's a nerdy guy but why the gently caress does he have to monologue in every loving film he is in?

It's what's killing me about Batman Vs Superman.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, it was a GREAT Riddick movie, but a kinda crap sci fi film. Just a higher budget retread of Pitch Black.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey, he had to sleep in a barn, why can't they? Are they better than JESUS? :colbert:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I'm kinda looking forward to Lucy.

It's not quite Adderall : The Film like Limitless was, but it seems like it's going to go pretty heavy into the sci fi stuff. I'm mainly just interested in how they handle the restructuring of reality that she can seem to do in the trailers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WWZ is only a good movie if you imagine Brad Pitt's character as Death. Every single time he goes somewhere or does something, someone dies.

It's actually quite amazing how lethal he is in the movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The sad thing is, even the alternate ending is bullshit.

Waste of a good novel.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You might say they are... brain dead :haw:

But yea, kinda agree with ya. If there's a good REASON for zombies (which rarely happens) it makes for a fun movie, but the actual "good" zombie flicks are few and far between.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bippie Mishap posted:

Also no one who works in a lab would never slow down the centrifuge like that. Bothered me too.

But he was in a hurry! He had to get to the movies!!!

Yea that part bugged the hell out of me as well. "SPINNING GLASS? HAH! NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME, SINCE I WORK IN A LAB AND KNOW ALL ABOUT BLOOD RELATED PATHOGENS!"

It's like he just had a full blown retard moment.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of the things that kinda bugged me in the new Robocop movie was when he was freaking out, and they let him run away through rice paddies and water, then shut him down when he wasn't gonna quit running.

No one bothered to actually check WHERE he was when they shut him down. He could have landed face down in a rice paddy and drowned. Never occurred to em.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
EVERYTHING DIGITAL IS DOWN!

:science: GOOD THING SHE'S ANALOG

me - :wtc:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was a good show but drat did it have it's cringe inducing moments, that being one of em.

One of the major things for me was "See? The blood is blue! That means that the victim died of suffocation!"

No, genius doctor who can open wormholes into other universes, it means someone hosed up the research on the show and humans have never had blue blood.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yup, cut open the chest and this smurf blue liquid came out, which OBVIOUSLY means the victim suffocated!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was incredibly annoyed in the Avengers when Hawkeye was falling off the roof, and shot an arrow at some hosed up angle like up and to the right to how he was falling, but still managed to somehow make it go in a straight line to hit the building.

I know it's dumb, but it's a big budget movie and dammit, it's not like you didn't center the god damned camera on that shot anyway. How hard would it have been to just retake that shot and tell the actor "AIM AT THE loving CAMERA JACKASS".

And that, my friends, is the irrational irritation for the morning.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You and I remember Budapest very differently.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

razorrozar posted:

All right, it was mostly the aliens, but the principle holds. Superheroes cause vast amounts of collateral damage that you're not supposed to think about.

(Man of steel finale)

Yea, heroes tend to blow up a lot of poo poo, but hey, no one would give a gently caress if someone invaded Ohio and the vast battle of "Yonder Creek". I'd loving buy a ticket in a heartbeat if they had the Hulk wailing on some dude with a cow though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Fugitive had that, I think. Kimball gets arrested at the end before they do the whole "gonna drop charges" thing.

Pretty sure anyway, it's been a long time since I saw that movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, basically he was just an rear end in a top hat poltergeist.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only irrationally irritating part to me was the "hotshot" instead of "flare" moment.

Everything else was basically spot on to the comic, and god damned amazing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was just mad there wasn't a sex scene, and a line afterwards that said "I came here a boy of tai chi, and now I leave as a Man of Tai Chi".

Same level of annoyance that no one said "It's daylight saving time" in Sunshine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always figured the suits were plastic or ceramic. They are layered though, so maybe it's a thin metal shell over the inner plastic/rubber core?

Sorta like Iron Man, except way less armor plated and more technolooking.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm still kinda pissed off that the Nolan movies showed Bats as being this giantly slow awful fighter instead of the awesome ninja he is in the comics and cartoons.

The Winter Soldier showed off some impressive fight choreography with fast fights and motion, but Nolan's batman came across as just kinda lame.

Even Bane, who seemed to have a reason for moving kinda slow, seemed to be just play fighting vs TWS actually looking like something that a comic book movie should have. Load up youtube and look at the weird poo poo going on in the first Bane/Batman fight, and then look at the knife fight in the street from TWS and tell me there isn't a loving light year of difference between the two.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll agree to the first 2 films because Nolan did that weird "let's run the camera WAY UP CLOSE so no one can see poo poo!" for the fight scenes. The ones in TKDR were just bad though.

Slow, just... I feel like I can actually use the word "lumbering" to describe them. Bats is supposed to be a quick guy, and it seems like he's not fighting so much as vogueing.

Granted, Cap is the pinnacle of human embodiment, etc, but Evans did a shitton of his own stunts and fights in costume. There's no reason that Batman needs to be portrayed as anything but a fast, take no prisoners kind of guy when he fights. No poses needed. Bane had that whole giant lumbering huge guy thing going on, so I can forgive his kinda slow looking movements, but man, Bats is supposed to be one of the top martial artists in the world. He does not come across like that in the last movie at all.

Comparison gifs just from google image search

vs

The fight choreography in TWS was just way, way ahead of TDKR. I'm not holding out much hope for Affleck in BVS :(

Better example of it with the elevator fight scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPblY2wHPU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Sep 15, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

What I do like about that lift fight is that we actually see it. Too many films would just have the camera cut to a shot of the lift dinging open and Captain stepping out over the unconscious thugs.

In the same vein as Thor's hammer though, his shield seems very inconsistent. Either it absorbs all impact like it's supposed to or it doesn't. He lands on it from a huge height and it lets him withstand a blow from Mjolnir, Other a random baddie kicks it and knocks him backwards.

I was really surprised he wasn't deafened a bit when Mjolnir hit. I thought I was cause gently caress that was loud.

He's dazed/hurt by the fall though. The way it works (in my head anyway) is the shield absorbs impacts and negates them, but he's still falling on top of the shield. He's still got his own weight pressing down on his body from it hitting the shield and pavement, all that momentum has to go somewhere, so he basically kinda gets squished by his own weight.

I always figured when he gets knocked back because of a hit to the shield from someone kicking it or punching it, it's because they are pushing. It's not so much the impact as it is them pushing against him holding the shield.

That being said, they do play it fast and loose with what it can hit and bounce off of, versus what it can sink into. It ~SHOULD~ bounce off everything, but it's been jammed into car doors and filing cabinets and all kinds of poo poo in the movies.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Jaden Smith is a bad actor but just an fyi, the god-awful accent/speech impediment everyone had in the movie was not his fault, it said in the manuscript that "human language had evolved" and somehow that equated to everyone talking as if the letter R has been phased out of the English language.

After Earth was a god drat terrible movie.

´_` is how I feel pretty much all the time

´_` Is How I Feel Pretty Much All The Time

ftfy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I wondered how they knew that jumping through the hole in the wall wouldn't end up with them falling to their deaths but then I thought "whatever, he probably knows the entire layout of the building because he's Dredd".

One thing I did notice though is that at the beginning, the second in command guy tells Ma Ma that the judges have captured Kay and they're on level 25 (or whatever), but we know Ma Ma is at the top of the building so how does the guy tell Ma Ma about this, get down to the control room, take it out and activate the lockdown before the lift with Dredd in has gone a 10th of the distance?

I figured at that point it was either get shot or take a chance at whatever is behind that hole. One's a sure death, one is a maybe.

Haven't watched the film in a while so can't offer an opinion on the second thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

I started watching Fringe the other day and there's an episode where they make a cure for something that has to be injected directly into the bloodstream. Through circumstances it ends up that the victim has to inject herself while under great distress and it goes from "inject it in the neck veins" to "ram it in the general vicinity of your neck." Although I suppose Fringe being what it is it's not particularly surprising.

You don't even want to know what it was a cure for.

Was that the one with the exploding microwave brains?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently he used to be one of the 4 horsemen.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of people, myself included, felt the same way.

They had such a big marketing blitz with CRANSTON on loving everything, and then 20 mins into the movie they drop him for some idiot soldier and his idiot family and idiot kid.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

In star trek at least once an episode someone will use a common phrase or metaphor that they know no future people will understand.

Picard: Now we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Geordi: The shoe? I don't understand at all.
Picard: It's an old expression it means blah blah blah

It's incredibly douchey to randomly speak in a way you know no one else will understand just so you can show off and explain it too them. Also no one can understand any sort of context and make a guess at what the other person might be saying if they don't spell it out. It's especially dumb when Data has to ask what a word is since he has a whole dictionary and encyclopedia built into his brain.

"We're going to burn the midnight oil on this one chief!"
"That would be inadvisable due to automated fire control"
"HAH, you silly android, it's an old saying from about 400 years before you were built, I can't believe you don't know it!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

More complaining about star trek. No one ever wear any sort of protective equipment. Just those spandex suits. Beaming into an unknown ship: no space suit. A ship they know is on fire: no protection or air source. No armor or even a helmet when they're going into a fight.

That was one of the few things I liked about the new Star Trek movie.

When they were doing that weird space jump thing to land on the platform, they all had colored armor to match up what level they were.

Of course the red guy hosed up right off the bat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The movie poster for Automata has Antonio Banderas holding a gun, but he doesn't use one in the movie.

I hate that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Better or worse dracula than the one in Van Helsing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

I just watched Automata which was pretty good. But every time someone points a gun at someone it makes that "night vision activated" sound. You know the one.
They were just regular guns that shoot regular bullets. Not even fancy sights or something. Where does that sound come from?

That's just the sound of a capacitor charging. Happened all the time when I was a kid and hosed around with my family's old camera flash.

And yea, the Van Helsing Dracula was kinda horriblawesome. HE HAS NO EMOTIONS, AND HE CAN'T DECIDE WHAT ACCENT HE WANTS TO USE, BUT HE IS SO SAAAAAAADDDD :qq: