Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In Snowpiercer there's a line that bugged me after I watched it, maybe it's been brought up before:

"You're the first human being to walk the length of this train."

What? Bullshit. Even if we assume Wilfred has for whatever reason never traversed the length of his train fetish wet dream, we see no less than three people in the engine room who had been to the tail section previously and were there when Curtis walked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The tv show Revenge is pretty decent so far if you like watching rich people destroy each other in fun new ways, but I really don't like how they use Emily's British friend (Ashley?)

She starts the season as a party planner and by the midpoint she's addressing the media on the Grayson family's behalf outside the courtroom? That's a hell of a party planner, I guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

More Revenge

At the end of season one it is insanely insanely stupid and out of character for Emily to not kill the white haired guy. He knows her name, he wants her dead, he knows the gist of her role in things, and suddenly Emily who has been cold and calculating the whole season decides not to kill the person who deserves it most. And then it comes back to bite her in the rear end, because OF COURSE IT DID.

Then in the first episode of season 2 we learn that not only is Victoria still alive, but she's working with the white haired guy...who apparently hasn't told her "hey this Emily girl is actually Amanda Clark and she is out to ruin you all". Maybe they explain it later but it's just so dumb it hurts. If the thing in the first spoiler had gone differently EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

One thing that annoys me in a ton of movies (and books, and tv shows) that Guardians of the Galaxy sidestepped is that the protagonists know of a serious problem with a wide-reaching impact and decide to try to stop it themselves, either ignoring or outright antagonizing the authorities that should be able to help them.

They even summed it up nicely: "Do you trust him?" "Not really but I see no reason for him to lie about this" or something like that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Or the guys that start their own Fight Clubs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mng posted:

Telescopes in people's homes, pointed out through a window. It seems to be a way to show that they're well off, because regular people can't afford a refractor scope or something.

Examples that come to mind are Frasier, American Psycho, and a recent episode of Better Call Saul.

This is particularly goofy because it's always set downtown in a big metropolitan area with a shitload of light pollution.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

On the topic of EH Dr. Grant seems to completely know that the ship is evil and sentient and has been through hell, and is trying to lead it back there with the salvage crew. So...how? You'd think if he tested the thing and went to hell previously, more people like him would be out there, and he wouldn't have been acting so sane and fully decked out in eyeballs for years. Plus if they'd tested it before it's hard to imagine they'd go through with the ship's maiden voyage. So what gives? It's a fun movie and seems to be pretty consistent for a dumb sci fi horror romp, so I'm assuming I missed something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bill Dungsroman posted:

The fourth wall stuff in House of Cards is funny because a lot of it is Spacey's character's paranoid, skewed, selfish take on what's going on and he's often not entirely accurate. My real gripe about the show is aside from Spacey's character being a serial killer,

Wait, what?! When the hell did that happen, I only watched up to I think the peach episode and I don't really remember much of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I am completely amazed that people seem to think the show's interpretation of Daredevil's power is significantly different in any way to the way he's been portrayed for literally decades. "He's a blind man with the amazing power of sight" is a joke so stale that most people would roll their eyes at it, and here you are all discussing it in earnest.

His real strong point is that he has balls of solid loving steel, I mean it's right there in his name. The blindness is really only there to explain his other super senses that more than compensate anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Isn't that based on a Mark Millar property? Dude loves ending things with buttfucking. I can't find it but someone post the last page to Wanted, it's the main character Eminem growling at the viewer with the caption "THIS IS MY FACE WHEN I'M loving YOU IN THE rear end."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Wasn't Days of Future Past very similar to a comics run?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is completely tangential to the thread and I apologize but I just grabbed Dark City for a dollar off a clearance shelf. It's been brought up in here before for spoiling the plot at the beginning of the movie and people suggest skipping several minutes of the opening scene. How much should I skip to go in blind? I tried googling for it but came up dry other than "watch the director's cut".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

My fiancé is laid up with a broken leg so we've been watching pretty much whatever movies we can get our hands on. One such movie was Miyazaki's The Wind Rises, which was pretty great. For those who don't know, it's a drama about a boy who grows up to be an aircraft designer during the early days of flight. Two things really bugged me though:

1) it was pretty much wasted as a Miyazaki film. Barring a couple of dreams at the beginning there wasn't really anything that couldn't have been done - in my opinion much more engagingly- as live action.
2) holy poo poo Joseph Gordon-Levitt voices the main character and the only way he could be more obviously phoning it in is if there was an audible goddamn dial tone. I've never heard such completely emotionless voice acting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The_Master posted:

It's just lucky Nedry made it into basically an easy to navigate computer game with visuals and boxes! I don't know what unix is, or if it's even a real thing, but I recently inherited an old computer with Linux and if it's anything like that the kid would have ripped her own intestines out in frustration before the raptor got anywhere near her.

Linux is free Unix and incredibly enough that doofy 3d world thing was actually a Unix graphical front end available at the time. It wasn't cheesy movie magic at all, it is just so bizarre looking in retrospect that it seems that way.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I finally watched Star Trek Into Darkness after hearing Netflix would be losing it and it immediately triggered one of my biggest movie pet peeves - the big climactic action shot at the end was spoiled in the trailers and even the poster for the movie. Also, the way Kirk was stripped of his rank for all of ten minutes was realllly goofy.

Another thing that bugs me is in Rocking the Casbah during the second verse there's that annoying little beepy sound that doesn't jive with the rest of the track. Not a movie but I have it stuck in my head and had to bitch somewhere. :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

- It's only on some album versions of the song

I've literally never heard a version without it and it's on the radio all the time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was way more annoyed that Cube 2: Hypercube! gave away the big reveal in the goddamn title.

What reveal was that?

I hated C2:H because the idea presented by the first one, where the cube wasn't built by anyone in particular and was kind of a headless project that arose out of nowhere, was weird and interesting. C2 tosses that out and is like "it was the government. Of course it was the government. I mean, duh."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lotish posted:

I haven't seen the film since I saw chunks of it on Sci-fi in the 90s. What was the point? I thought it was "people are trapped in a murderbox; drama ensues."

I haven't watched it in ages but I always thought that the "point" was something like "even in a seemingly organized, completely controlled environment with strict rules, bad poo poo is unavoidable and often seems bafflingly random".

E: and that brains can't solve everything and that everyone has value or something idk

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Sep 18, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jurassic World has a bunch of inexplicable stuff, like pods to shove raptor faces through a wall like some kind of macabre living hunting trophy. That in and of itself could be cool as poo poo if they gave any good reason for it and the CG didn't look so bad - at times it really was reminiscent of the scene where King Koopa gets de-evolved to a pile of green slime in underrated cinematic tour de force Super Mario Brothers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rurea posted:

I thought it was pretty clear what they were used for?? They aren't exactly animals you can walk up to and put a leash around.

....soooo it's supposed to be easier to herd them into some kind of windowless shed and get them to shove their heads through robot gloryholes instead? Because yeah, actually, I'm going to go ahead and say that it would be easier to leash them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gromit posted:

On the subject of phone conversations, is it normal for people in the US to just hang up on their friends and family without saying goodbye? This seems really rude to me, but it's incredibly rare for anyone to say goodbye when they are on the phone on TV and in movies so for all I know that's standard practice.

Nope, it's a movie thing. Turns out that humans are kinda programmed to subconsciously stop paying attention when someone says "goodbye" on a phone call or something, so it drops viewers out of a scene.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My irrationally irritating moment inThe Martian is that he complains about only having disco music to listen to because a) disco is good gently caress you and b) why didn't he take his own music I mean one extra sd card wouldn't have added that much weight to the mission.

And also that Sean Bean resigned instead of burying Jeff Daniels for skipping the safety checks, though I guess he may have received a large severance payoff or something

My IMM for the Martian is that Damon would be up poo poo creek without a paddle from day 1, he says there were supplies to feed the 6-man crew for 68 days when they were only supposed to be there for 31 because of "redundancies". It costs approximately four gazillion dollars to send poo poo into space and literally every ounce of a spacecraft's payload costs tens of thousands of dollars in fuel and calculations. If something had gone wrong on Mars and all six crewmen were trapped past the launch window they'd be hosed, NASA wouldn't send extra food so they could sit around for four weeks longer pondering their impending doom.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Office (and similar shows) gets a lot of poo poo for their mockumentary formats, but I felt that it really pulled it off well and used it in clever ways. At least....until the last season, when it goes from a framing device to slapping you in the face with it every episode. And then the whole thing falls apart, because it really throws into focus all the times that the documentary format doesn't make any sense. They really had cameras set up in Jim's hotel room when the cute brunette was trying to seduce him?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It would have been fine if they never aired the documentary and just quietly dropped that part of it.

They also need to cut out the whole plot with the boom mic operator dude. In a show that thrived on cringe-inducing awkwardness that whole arc just made me feel embarrassed for the whole cast.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Slime posted:

Every setting with sci-fi guns makes them actually ridiculously lovely compared to regular guns. Theoretically a handheld weaponized laser or something would be a really good weapon! No bullet drop, unaffected by wind, you can make the beam goddamn invisible...but no, sci-fi laser guns are just janky pieces of poo poo that are outclassed in every way by a simple pistol.

Sci-fi always introduces technology that everyone uses because it's a magical science thing rather than because it actually does the job well.

This is ironically one of the things Star Wars did really right, lightsabers are obsolete by the time 4 starts because what kind of idiot brings a laser sword to a laser gun fight?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The actual worst part of Minority Report is the wooden balls themselves, which are just about the absolute dumbest user interface ever particularly in a society with floating glove computers and hi-tech puke billy clubs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

While the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses and weird obsession of the super fans has soured Firefly a bit I still enjoy the series...but there's no way in hell that Jayne's existence on the ship makes any sense. Mal likes to be in 100% control while he's on board, to the point where he refers to space itself as "my sky", and yet he pays an openly hostile, insubordinate trigger-happy lunatic to play with all his guns? The pilot literally ends with Jayne saying that once the money is good enough he'll sell Mal out...to Mal's face. And then, later, when it actually happens, Mal ends up letting him back on the ship again. In a show with so many good characters Whedon didn't make a hell of a lot of effort making sure they made sense together.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

e: gently caress youuuuu ^^^^^^^

So Anakin actually came pretty close to being the chosen one to bring balance to the force when he slaughtered the other Jedi and the Jedi kids so there were only a couple light side guys left huh.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

And another thing! Cisco is held hostage for like, an afternoon, and he creates a gun that turns things into gold. Why does this man have a day job???

It's pretty clearly stated that he just wants to work under the guy who played Ed because he's such an ultra super genius, I don't think he's got any money struggles or anything.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

I just got done watching Mockingjay Part 2.

IIMM: When and why did President Snow booby trap THE ENTIRE CITY? Like was that poo poo always there, kinda seems a little unsafe, and if it wasn't then that seemed like an awful lot of masterplanning to get done in the middle of a war? And where did the completely unexplained "mutts" come from, they were clearly just eyeless vampires from I Am Legend.

Mutts were in the first movie too, they were the awful CG dog people things that attacked them on top of the giant metal thumb. They kinda mention that they can do all kinds of freaky forced mutations, between those and the tracker jackers.

In the book the mutts in the first one are actually the reanimated, monsterized corpses of the tributes that had died already, pretty sure.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Hunger Games did have one really cool thing in the books and it was my IMM that they didn't do it in the movies, too.

The dystopia is set up so there are twelve surviving districts each with a very specific export. The 13th district was completely obliterated prior to the books in the Great War or whatever.

In the first book, a throwaway line references the 13th District as being for graphite production. You read it and think "uh that's pretty loving weird and specific." Then in the next book a character is talking to the main character and tells her not only did 13 survive but it's not under Panem control. Because it actually produced nuclear weapons, duh. I think the character in question even berates Katniss a little for buying into the dumb graphite farce.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

jabby posted:

My irritating book moment from The Hunger Games was when Snow bombs a hospital.

Like he literally orders his precious and irreplaceable military hovercraft to go and destroy a hospital full of wounded soldiers. Naturally it's a huge propaganda boost for the rebels and Snow ends up losing his hovercraft.

When I was reading it I remember thinking how the obvious twist was going to be that it was actually the rebels posing as Snow who bombed their own hospital. Effectively demonstrating their callousness in targeting their own people just to score a propaganda victory and simultaneously get rid of the drain on their resources posed by the wounded. A decent literary device, if a bit predictable.

Except it turns out it really was Snow, and he's just the worst military tactician ever and didn't realise a hospital full of wounded soldiers that need food/medicine/shelter is better for his side than a smoking crater the rebels can point to and say 'look what a dick this guy is'. Or to put it another way, writing convincing villains is hard and it's easier just to make them puppy-kicking evil for no goddamn reason.

This is especially loving dumb because they outright state that the rebels do poo poo like this, and it ties into Katniss's decision at the end to shoot Coin.

....Which is it's own absurdly stupid plot point. Like, jeez, in an entire trilogy of contrived Ender-syndrome violence, the finale is the single dumbest most contrived thing I've ever seen published, both what was intended to happen and the "twist".

E:

Captain Monkey posted:

Panam, the nation in the books/movies is, I believe, just a post-apocalyptic united states.

Panem, because it's literally loving named after "panem et circenses", and not as a wink-wink-nudge-nudge thing but something they actually reference in the books to beat you over the head with it.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Dec 1, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Prisoner of Azkaban is the best one. Deadly Hallows is garbage. The rest are OK.

Prisoner of Azkaban is so bad that it was all resolved by such a blatant deus ex machina that Rowling had to explicitly write it out of the next book by destroying every Time Turner in the world, pinky swear that's all of them, they kept them all in a single cabinet all together with no extra security and nobody thinks anything odd about that, and the ones Hogwarts had in the last book are there too for some reason, and nobody can make more because uh I don't recall them actually giving a reason, okay now there's dramatic tension again.

Everything other than the Time Turner is cool though, and Deathly Hallows was impossibly bad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don't think anyone on Earth knows about Thanos or the Kree.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Old Smashmouth actually owns, the real tragedy is that everything used All Star instead of branching out to some of their other tracks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SWTFA The mysterious alien Yoda lady had like the worst loving CG I've seen in years outside of last-gen consoles. Everything up til then was awesome and then suddenly there's this Dreamworks-reject looking motherfucker who's incredibly important?! You gotta be kidding me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Polaron posted:

One of the Resistance control guys mentions that "that's half our fleet down!" when another X-Wing gets blown away during the final battle.

They pretty clearly mean the attacking fleet, come the gently caress on. There's plenty of IIMMs in the new movie without getting stupidly pedantic about it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Spoiler tags on this site are a nicety. gently caress the mods for the title of FYAD last month though, what kind of an rear end in a top hat decided antagonizing the entire user base was okay?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

pr0zac posted:

How have you managed to survive to adulthood being so uncoordinated you think anything in this post is true?

Holy god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Fringe had a cool overarching plot in the background and it was exciting when it came to the forefront but in between all that was a bunch of stupid poo poo about recreating images from dead corneas and using LSD to merge minds with your comatose partner.

I should finish the series, I left off somewhere around when the main woman gets trapped in the other dimension and brainwashed by Evil Walt. I do like that they gave him a drat good reason to be evil, though.