Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Falukorv posted:

What irritated me the most about Gladiator was Marcus Aurelius secretly longing for a Republic. That is some Hollywood history right there. And of all people, Marcus Aurelius is pretty well known and even wrote a whole diary of sorts about his philosophical outlook on things, which survives to this day and has been sold in English for centuries. Nothing in there about returning to the good ol' republican days.
gently caress, what wasn't wrong in Gladiator?

Or 99% of anything concerning Roman history, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

It was way more a metaphor for the whole Clinton-era 'family values' stuff popular at the time. Try watching it wearing 1990s American-coloured glasses and it makes a heck of a difference.

Also: Derek Jacobi as the 313+ year old Tiberius Gracchus.
To be perfectly fair, there might have been a Tiberius Sempronius Gracchus floating around somewhere at the time, unless the family quietly faded away after the favor of Augustus.

But it was really nothing more the writers picking a name out of a hat and slapping it on Jacobi because he was in I, Claudius.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I guess it sort of makes sense if the Empire went whole hog into supressing any knowledge or remants of Jedi, but this guy was on a capitol ship with Darth Vader. He never saw him force choke someone during a teleconference or do any other space magic?

Were they also just going to kill any force sensitive kids that popped up, or were they going restart the Sith Academy or something?

Also why are there only two Sith, a Master and an Apprentice? Why would you apprentice someone you know is going to eventually kill you and take your place?

This is the smallest problem with the Phantom Menace but at Qui Gon Al Ghul's funeral they are all sitting like 4 feet away from a burning bodie. A fire has to be incredibly hot to reduce a body to ash but no one seems to even be sweating,not to mention the horrendous smell.
Because George Lucas is an awful storyteller and has horrendous instincts.

quote:

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been the mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Lawrence Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

George Lucas: He hasn’t seen her in twelve years. Now she’s twenty-two. It’s a real strange relationship.

Steven Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

George Lucas: He’s thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

Exactly. Maximus was basically reenacting the Battle of Teutoberg Forest, where three Roman legions were annihilated.
Laugaricio, actually, which was a different kettle of fish entirely.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Course then there's BEER brand beer

That was totally a real thing:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

And Rip Torn as Patches O'Houlihan himself, drunk off his rocker
You have to give the man credit for being more of a drunken clusterfuck than Oliver Reed. That takes dedication.

Also, he hit Norman Mailer with a hammer. He gets a few points for that one.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

I remember Morrison drunkenly talking about sigils and how to get whatever you wanted through sigil magik but he went way off track talking about McDonalds or something.

TEACH ME YOUR ONE WEIRD SIGIL TRICK, MORRISON!
You draw a bunch of silly crap on a piece of paper, then you jerk off on it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

Hahaha. Seriously? Well, ok... Here goes.
Chaos Magic is incredibly silly.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

This is a few days old but uh, Persians are ethnically white, dudes. Iran = same root word as Aryan. The term "Caucasian" literally comes from the Caucasus region bordering Iran.
:rolleye:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

Wait, what?! When the hell did that happen, I only watched up to I think the peach episode and I don't really remember much of it.
Peter Russo and Zoe Barnes.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I really really do not like how they just seemed to go "yeah, he got that radioactive ooze from teenage mutant ninja turtles all over his eyes, so now he's blind but he has superpower vision
Funny you should mention that...

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the fact that he can fight tons of dudes just fine (he may as well not be blind except when he's in court) and really pushing things beyond belief (I can smell the cologne of the guy 2 floors down, and I know that he's going door by door because of just how loving sharp my nose is).

That said I wish they didn't bother showing you the 'world on fire' vision at all. He's blind! That's the whole point! Stop trying to un-do that and give him an alternate way to see. That's what makes him unique! Just let him be blind. I don't need radar-vision or fire-vision with my Daredevil.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

You also destroyed her life
No I didn't.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

QUACKTASTIC posted:

John Big Booty is Matt Murdock!?
:iiam:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

I would pay large amounts of money for it to be very socially unacceptable for people older than 17 to watch superhero movies/tv shows etc. Or at least to not have to hear about them ever. None of them make any sense! No matter how gritty or grounded or anything! What the hell is wrong with everybody?
Settle down, Beavis.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

In Boogie Nights, Sam Molina's character is supposed to be freebasing cocaine but the pipe he's using has water in it like a bong. That's not how you smoke cocaine.
You are not entirely correct.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh. It's been decades now but I've never seen it done that way. I thought the coke disolved in the water
Freebase isn't very soluble in water. You might lose a bit of it in the water, but not enough to matter.

Or so I have read. *cough*

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention that they're worried about the cost-effectiveness of arrows one minute but then the next they don't even care about sacrificing their own men?! Equipping and paying those men is more expensive than some bloody arrows. Although back then there was no health insurance so maybe if you died in the King's service you just didn't get paid and he told your family to go gently caress themselves or something, so it was actually cost-effective to lose as many men as possible? :v:
The nobles would have equipped their own men and not been paid--they owed service in exchange for their fiefs. But it's a moot point, because doing that would be silly and Braveheart is not a very good film. Hell, they did the battle of Stirling Bridge without the goddamn bridge.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

It's because I can't gouge his eyes out, or rip off his ball sack, or punch him in the hyoid bone, or... a million other strikes and response that would end in crippling debility or death.
So... when contemplating these million and three ways, do you get fully erect or just partially?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

Don't drag me into your fantasies, sicko.
What are you gonna do, rip off my scrotum?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Rysithusiku posted:

If you thought Sucker Punch was exploitative, you missed the point.
Sucker Punch had a point?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Honestly all his trailers and intro credits are consistently awesome and better than the films they represent. Like The Dawn of the Dead intro/intro credits were more memorable than most of the film itself. Same with 300 and its trailer.
the Dawn of the Dead title sequence was Kyle Cooper, not Snyder.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I thought it did the opposite to be honest. Instead of violence being short and quick you were forced to stare at it in gross discomfort.
If that were the case, they wouldn't have ramped it up by a factor of ten.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Being irritated at the sheer lack of emergency security/evacuation failsafes and procedures in that movie is in no way irrational, but I'm gonna :argh: about it here anyway. Even if only to protect itself from liability, corporate would enforce that poo poo to the nines.
Before it was InGen, it was

Despite branching out, their corporate commitment to terrible decision-making remained.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Not shocking that the monster who wants boys wins.
Does the term "Mary Sue" also apply to paedos?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I only watched the first season and a half of Californication but my irrationally completely rationally irritating movie moment was how every female character was a one dimensional conniving whore bitch
I couldn't even get through one season because Hank just annoyed the poo poo out of me.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

He gave that child a flower and it was very sweet
"Here, child, have one of my genitals."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

rejutka posted:

You're being glib, like the JJ Trek. Explain what's so Star Trek about the JJ Trek other than the franchise?
It's not very good.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

On the flip side, Star Wars EU is also really bad about having made up terms for things that exist in the real world simply because it's IN SPACE. Like toilets are called 'freshers and instead of "poo poo!" when something goes wrong you say "sithspawn!"
They're just bad with made-up terms in general.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you're gonna look for it, read on after issue 5 at your own risk, because as much as I like good old Warren, he completely lost his mind on this one.
Like "spent three solid days guzzling red bull and plumbing the depths of BME" lost it or "Grant Morrison is starting to make sense to me" lost it?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Greggy posted:

You go to war with the Stormtroopers you have, not the Stormtroopers you might want or wish to have at a later time.
We fight them on Alderaan so we don't have to fight them on Coruscant.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

One young jedihadi from a nowhere planet puts a photon torpedo in a tiny exhaust port flying an x-wing that he had zero experience flying?

The Death Star was an inside job.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I don't remember when, but at some point in the 90s a lot of payphones in certain areas stopped taking incoming calls.

Certain areas being total shitholes.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hazy, but somewhat relatable to the Roman Empire at least.
Only in the broadest possible sense.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

ubachung posted:

I am not sure you should be 'critizing' anyone with that spelling either
Glass houses, dude.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

For a rationally irritating moment, when Eggsy goes back to cornhole the princess, all he takes with him is champagne.

Jesus, man, at least filch a stick of butter or technical-virgin olive oil from the kitchen. That's just inconsiderate.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

sassassin posted:

When Spartans shout about freedom you are supposed to laugh at the funny joke.

Frank Miller posted:

The Spartans were a paradoxical people. They were the biggest slave owners in Greece. But at the same time, Spartan women had an unusual level of rights. It's a paradox that they were a bunch of people who in many ways were fascist, but they were the bulwark against the fall of democracy. ... I didn't want to render Sparta in overly accurate terms, because ultimately I do want you to root for the Spartans. I couldn't show them being quite as cruel as they were. I made them as cruel as I thought a modern audience could stand.
Maybe not so much.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

sassassin posted:

Frank Miller did not direct the movie 300, or write the script.
True, but Zack Snyder is hardly a master of subtlety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

If this is the kind of stuff that passes for comic book writing these days
Comic book writing has always been mostly crap.