Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
That explains the faces...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Nobody posted:

This is so incredibly loving annoying, especially when that person is desperately waiting to hear back from someone who they love and is potentially in danger.

It was terrible in Avengers. Pepper is watching the whole new York destruction thing on TV and Tony tries to call her in what he thinks are the last moments of his life. The phone is right there but nope. Not even on vibrate. Just silently showing Tonys face.
I guess this is the new "there's no signal!"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

pengun101 posted:

ok, my only big irrational hate when it comes to movies are Michael bay movies. now to be fair, i like The Rock, mostly because its a regular action movie, with some good one liners and my dad loves it. but the rest are loving awful. I hate pearl harbor with passion for tons of reason, its lack of historic accuracy, its stupid jingoism, it unlikable characters, that awful loving love triangle. the only one of his movies i saw in theaters was transformers 3, god loving drat i wish i hadn't. i mean one of the first shots is loving rear end pan. the rest of it is loving poo poo and erection jokes, the action looks really lovely and out of focus and the human drama is loving terrible and forced. i walked out when optimus prime straight up executed a guy. also apparently, megan fox wasnt hired for the movie because she refuced to suck Bay off or so i heard. i never cared for her one way or another but jesus what ever model they picked for that one couldn't act for poo poo. and transformers 4 looks even loving worse from the trailers and it looks like its sucking off the loving tea party with its politics too.

I watched transformers 3 recently because I guess I hate myself.
It could have been so loving awesome. It's got loving robots from space invading earth and occupying cities. It got other loving robots from space fighting back, it's got fighter jets and big guns and every loving thing you need for a great dumb action movie.
And Michael Bay somehow fucks it up in so many ways. There's blatant sexism, an incredible amount of racism, the desperate attempt to turn loving Shia LaBeouf into an action heroand every character is some kind of wacky stereotype.
It's also has the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. Seriously, this guy saved the world twice already but boohoo no one wants to give him a job and he lost his supermodel girlfriend and that's so terrible except for of course he finds a job but it's a low level job so boohoo. Except at the end his boss pretty much wants to suck his cock because he's so super awesome and friends with a transformer. And of course he's got another supermodel girlfriend except this time she's blonde, British, even worse at acting and also pays his bills. Which wouldn't really be necessary because his parents are super rich because when you are writing a gigantic wank fantasy you might as well go all out.
The only good thing about this gigantic turd of a movie is that the next one can't possibly be any worse just because it has neither Megan fox nor Shia LaBeouf in it.
Oh who am I kidding...Michael Bay will find a way...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

935 posted:

I have to watch most of my movies with TrueVolume turned on to equalize the highs and lows. It bugs me that I'm ruining the original sound, but gently caress it, the original mix is terrible if I have to keep one hand on the remote so I can hear dialog then quickly turn it down so I don't wake up my entire apartment complex.

I already janked the volume on my center speaker all the way up but i still have to activate DRC most of the time. Is it really that hard to mix your loving Sound correctly moviepersons?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just watched Automata which was pretty good. But every time someone points a gun at someone it makes that "night vision activated" sound. You know the one.
They were just regular guns that shoot regular bullets. Not even fancy sights or something. Where does that sound come from?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's just the sound of a capacitor charging. Happened all the time when I was a kid and hosed around with my family's old camera flash.

Oh yeah. Thats where i know it from. I remember now!
Those guns sure had a lot of capacitors for just being shotguns...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Dr_Amazing posted:

I still think it's weird to have a movie about Bane and ignore the whole venom thing. I get that super muscle juice is pretty out there, but it's not really any worse than fear gas.

DC just can't handle how loving dumb comic books are and desperately tries to be gritty and realistic. I'm really curious how far they are taking this. Will someone finally get his arm ripped off like in every DC comic in the last year?
How will they grit up Wonder Woman? Does the golden lasso decapitate everyone and the invisible plane carry Amazonian nukes?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Phew, because I couldn't really see how the show where the vigilante and his bodyguard have a loud argument IN PUBLIC about him being a secret vigilante was meant to be taken as anything but tongue-in-cheek. Especially since they're surrounded by media at the time and later on in the episode footage of their argument is shown on television but apparently nobody picked up the audio :xd:

Campy-dark is a really great term for it, thanks.

Arrows disguise is putting on a hood and smearing some black paint around his eyes. Surely no one will recognize the billionaire playboy that just made his triumphant return after being lost at sea for five years! It's even worse than supermans disguise because supes secret identity is at least just some guy working a normal job and not loving famous.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
That's what mad Fury Road so great. They don't explain what a black thumb is, they don't show immortan joes rise to power or poo poo like that.
Here's the universe, this story takes place in it, you'll pick everything else up.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

I could have sworn he asked Nux if he was a "black tongue", not thumb. I dunno, tongue makes sense to me, because anyone who has worked on cars for a long enough period of time will have had motor oil splash into their mouth from something leaking or from dropping a drain plug into a pan of oil and having it splash everywhere.

:ssh: I had to look it up because i heard "Black Tongue" as well.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

Unless they drive a Mercedes.

I think the biggest you can get with a manual is the C-class, and even then it's only with the smaller engines. Everything E-class and above is auto-only.

You can get the C-Class and the E-Class with the 184 HP engine and a manual. Its the smallest engine on the E-Class and the third smallest on the C-Class.

But yeah, nobody under 60 is driving automatic over here. I prefer manual too, but i gotta admit that my dads automatic Merc was pretty nice when i was stuck in heavy traffic. But that might've also been the case cause its a Mercedes and not a loving Peugeot.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Anosmoman posted:

That's not what I mean. There's usually two sets of doors animals have to pass through. You open door 1, go in, close door 1, open door 2, leave, close door 2. That way the elephant can't charge the door when you're trying to bring in a haybale or a truckload of bananas or whatever - or rather it can but it won't get out because there's one more, locked door. In the movie there's one big door between the giant lizard and the public. If Bob the maintenance guy gets the scheduling wrong or opens the wrong door or Chad the intern mashes the wrong buttons in the control room, everybody dies.

They had those doors on the raptor cage didn't they? Just couldn't be bothered to do it for the big bad monster I guess...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only in season one of The Flash but I guess it makes more sense then. His powers are still new and he doesn't now how fast he can actually go and how to use his speed to his advantage. I liked how The Arrow pretty much told him " you need to scout out every location where a confrontation can happen. You have the time to do this but you don't. And that's pretty stupid" because yeah, you shouldn't be able to surprise him with a trap.

I guess it also makes sense that he's not good at the whole fighting stuff. He's only a nerd who's been given powers. Not some martial arts expert. It also hurts like hell to punch someone so he's probably not to keen on doing it even though he heals quickly.

Shai-Hulud has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Nov 4, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

Why doesn't Chewbacca wear pants? Is he some kind of pervert that likes flying around space with his wookie dick hanging out? That's hosed up.

He's wearing a g-string. You just can't see it....

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not a movie but I've been watching the first season of Flash on Netflix. Arrow was enjoyable but this thing is garbage.

I watched Episode 10 (I think) last night. It's the one with Captain Cold and Fire Gun Guy, whatever his name is. The climax is they're both in a standoff with police trying to draw the Flash out. Flash shows up to stop them.

Keep in mind that these are two normal humans with Cold/Fire Guns with nothing else special about them. Flash is a superhuman that can run faster than the speed of sound. Fast enough to run up the side of a building. Fast enough that there are three people on bikes that he takes the keys out of the ignitions before they know whats going on. Fast enough to take a picture with a phone, run to get in the picture, and then run back before the phone drops from midair. These are all examples present within the same episode.

But somehow not fast enough to run up to these guys, take their loving guns, knock them on their asses and run off.

Instead he has to SLOW DOWN so that they both hit them with their guns, and they wind up 'crossing the streams' when he moves away.

It also hosed me up that they used the same two lead actors from Prison Break as the cold/fire guys.

This was also right after he met opposite flash for the first time and got beat up because he wasn't fast enough. So he was pushing himself and training hard to get even faster. But not fast enough to punch some dude with a flamethrower....

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Grimm posted:

Thank loving god I did. :wtc:

They beat that loving horse so loving hard into the ground. They were perfect in Blink and should have stayed there. But nope, they are now a "classic Doctor Who villian" and need to show up a least once per season!
Was there an episode yet where the Daleks, the Cybermen and the Angels fight each other? Throw in some Timelords too and you got yourself a season finale!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Watched London has Fallen on Amazon prime. I know I was in for "More Extreme Presidential Assasination attempt 2" but they really cranked it up to a silly degree. And in spite of the sheer scale of the terrorist plot, it came off as colossally inefficient.

I had assumed the terrorists were going to get all the world leaders in that church for the funeral, then blow IT up, with the President of the US having some sort of plot armor sparing him from the same fate. Instead, you get a bunch of presidents assasinated piecemeal; the German Chancellor by disguised guards, the Japanese PM by blowing a bridge, the French president by an exploding barge, and the Canadian PM by a car bomb. But whatever plan they had for the US prez was by far the worst- just a bunch of terrorists disguised by policemen raking his limo with gunfire. You could argue it was the secret service guy's experience to be unpredictably early saved the President's life, but it wasn't even suggested they had anything in particular in store for dispatching the President. And yet the terrorists have a literal army of guys crawling all over London chasing them, which is a helluva contingency plan.

Not to mention going to London in the first place, after the White House had gotten blown in half by North Koreans (which I don't even remember if they even acknoleged what happened; the movie is as good as a standalone film. I thought White House down was the better of the 2, because at least it didn't try to take itself too seriously.

They never acknowledged the first movie which was kind of weird. The whole terrorist plot was also hilariously convoluted and completely based on luck. What if the Japanese PM didnt get stuck in traffic on the bridge? What if the french President didnt want to be fashionable late and just left the boat when he was supposed to? And how the hell did the bad guys replace half the loving police force in London with terrorists? And if they didn't replace people how did noone notice hundreds of new cops roaming the streets? I prefered White house down as well. It kinda felt like a Die Hard movie and was way more fun to watch than to gritty bloody Olympus has fallen.

Oh, another movie where the bad guys completely depended on luck: Independence Day....Resurgence? Return? Reentry? Something like that The aliens take down the orbital defense platforms 3 seconds before they could fire. We dont know if they would have made a scratch on that ship but it was good timing anyhow! Oh and then they fly the fusion bombs into the big ship and juuuust before the bombers can launch them they get disabled, and then juuuust before they trigger them anyway to suicide bomb this bitch they get disabled. Lucky aliens, if they would have been three seconds slower they would have been hosed several times!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I love that even in the Arkham VR thing, which isn't especially long or anything, they still had to cram in Batman's origin story. The Wayne's must be the most shot couple in popculture.

I get that you need to tell people were doctor strange or the guardians of the galaxy come from but my loving grandparents know where Superman, spider-man or Batman come from.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Saw Hacksaw Ridge and got irrationally annoyed by how every time someone was on fire you could clearly see their fireproof suit including gloves and helmet/facemask.
I mean its better than to much CGI but it was a bit to obvious.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Nah, she was just suicidal and there was no link to the film.
It just made for a better story to say she died searching for the treasure.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Can i just say how loving stupid the whole bungee jumping thing in The great Wall is. Hey we are on this big wall and monsters that can only attack in close quarters are down there, lets not just throw this spears down there to kill them. No it makes way more sense to jump down there to give them a fair chance to snack on some chinese women!
Oh we have those giant slits in the wall where rotating blades come out and cut the monsters to pieces? Well that wont do! Get some guys on some bungee ropes to go down the wall to fight the monsters there! Yeah thats way smarter than just killing them from a distance!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

Pretty much any method of car sabotage. Cars are, like, *really* safe nowadays. Air bags, belts, crumple zones, there's pretty much nothing you can do to a car that won't be readily apparent and stands a reasonably reliable chance of killing someone, short of just putting a big bomb under it and blowing it up.

When you cut someones brake lines they feel an irresistible urge to drive along a small mountain road. Its just a thing that happens to people.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can get into the myriad rational things I hated about Alien: Covenant, but I'll just mention the irrational one:
A character says he's going to go take a leak (god what a tired cliche) but all he does is sit down and have a cigarette. Now I'm imagining Ridley Scott originally wanted to have the spore go up the guy's dick.

He wanted to get away from the scientist for a quiet smoke but didn't wan't to tell her because they were exploring an alien planet and he was supposed to protect her so its like the worst time and place for a smoke break. He made up an excuse that she couldn't object to.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The ending of Life was so loving terrible. The whole "oh there are two capsules and they bang into each other and tumble around and who knows which one will end up on earth isnt' this tense!" thing was just predictable as gently caress. Also yeah,
it didn't show any way of reproducing or spreading besides building a home out of Jake Gyllenhaal so whats it gonna do, eat every human one by one and grow a couple centimeters every time? How will the collective military strength of planet earth ever counter that!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Afriscipio posted:

The video cameras were a conceit of the movie. They're stand-ins for the journals in the book. They changed quite a lot in the adaption to make it more cinematic.

They explicitly said that electronics work fine though. All navigation and communication equipment just couldn't get a signal cause the shimmer scrambled it. So yeah, not using flashlights or, you know, the loving night vision goggles for more than 3 seconds doesn't really make sense.

Im always a bit annoyed about the whole "no one is coming back, we have no idea whats going on in there!" thing stories like this always use. loving send someone in to check! No not on a multi week expedition, send someone in, have him take some pictures and samples, get right out again. In and out within an hour. Get some rough data and keep doing deeper expeditions as time goes on. Put a loving basecamp directly behind the barrier if you wan't to study long term effects. You know, in sight of the outside world and poo poo. Oh you can't keep radio contact? How about using a loving cable then? Won't work either? How about transmitting via light pulses or a computer controlled semaphore system.
So many ways to get around the whole "the barrier blocks poo poo" problem.
Yes i understand that it's a better story this way but its just an annoying trope.

Good movie though, pretty as gently caress.

Shai-Hulud has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Mar 28, 2018

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah. And if your mission is to just get samples and return you just get out at that point.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Samuringa posted:

Getting in the Area X is already almost an arcane ritual, and getting out is almost impossible, and that specific mission was also all but faded to failure from the start as the Psychologist had no intention of returning or letting anyone else do. I don't know if the movie glossed on this, but one thing about the Southern Reach is that almost everyone in charge of it is already nuts in some kind of way, some by the influence of the Area X, some just because they have their own obsessions. The second book is focused on how the whole place is a bureaucratic nightmare with secrets over secrets and no one is really sure of what anything does or is supposed to do, and the people from outside the Southern Reach also aren't the most reliable.

I know that it wasn't an option for that exact mission. I'm just generally annoyed about the trope of "there's this region we need to explore where things are weird and we lose contact with people and they never return. Let's keep sending teams with the same mission and equipment as before instead of trying to figure out some other way to figure out what's going on!"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

Re: Lost in Space I've only watched the first two episodes. Have they explained why the mom distrusts every decision the dad makes SO much? Because all we see in the beginning is that he was always gone on deployment. Easy to understand why they grew apart as a couple, but drat.

I don't know if it was revealed in the first two episodes but he always tells his family that he has to go on deployment but he actually volunteers for it and lies to his family. The wife finds out about it by accidentally reading a letter. The whole marriage seems to be pretty much done anyway and probably would have ended in divorce if not for the whole "resettling to a different planet" thing. Can you guess if they rekindle their love over the course of the season?

Shai-Hulud has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Apr 27, 2018

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Why doesn't every single Avenger carry a gun. Black Widow would be way more effective with a gun than a long stick.

Every villian is in some way bulletproof. Either by being some alien God with powers, or by being able to dodge or deflect bullets. You show some army guys shooting at the bad guy to show how badass he is when he just shrugs it off.
It's pretty annoying cause it's just cheap. I especially hate it when it's some big Godzilla like monster that just gets more annoyed when it's getting blasted by the military with bombs that could level whole blocks.
Yeah sure, the bunker buster to the head did nothing, but when the big robot punches the monster in the face it goes down.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Speak English!

Its like putting to much air into a ballon!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the female lead in "Solo" was just boring and bland as gently caress. She was just kinda...there...

Also the Darth Maul cameo at the end was dumb as gently caress.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

They totally did that! In that one episode!

That was then fixed to have never happened by the literal Time Police.

Such lazy loving storytelling.

What episode was that? I was thinking "Year of Hell" which was pretty good but i don't think there was Time Police in that one.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I hate the "Well the monsters are just invincible to normal weapons" trope. We have bombs that can penetrate up to 60m of concrete. Drop one of those on the loving Kaijus head. A round from an Abrams can penetrate 50cm of armor from 2 km away. We are really good at killing stuff.
Think up something why the aliens are a threat instead of just saying "welp, their skin is magic".

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She screamed in King Ghidorah's faces in a mix of fear and defiance, what more do you want?

Can we make it so that when she gets mad she actually turns into Godzilla?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

doverhog posted:

I agree in principle, but Middle-Earth does actually change.

The Time of the Trees ends when Morgoth kills the Trees, kills the king of the elves, and steals the Silmarils
The First Age begins when the sun is created and the elves follow Morgoth to wage war upon him, and ends with the War of Wrath, when the Valar come over to Middle-Earth to fight Morgoth after he has defeated the elves.
The Second Age ends when the king of Numenor, after defeating Sauron, attacks the Valar to gain eternal life, and God destroys Numenor.

IIRC it actually ends at the Last Alliance which you may remember from the movie prologue but IMO it really ends when Ar-Pharazon lands his invasion fleet in Valinor and God kills him and breaks the world apart so no one can sail there again without a special permission.

The Third Age ends when the Ring is destroyed.

A bunch of stuff happens before the Tree time too but left it out.

Of course stuff happens in Middle-Earth but look at how much our world changed in a thousand years. Theres no technological or political advancement in Middle-Earth, the same bows and arrows and swords over thousands of years (most of the times the weapons even get worse because everyone keeps wanking about ye olden tymes and their craftsmanship), people are still ruled by kings and thats certainly not changing. They pretty much started with "about the same as the middle ages" and stay there for thousands of years.
The biggest technological advancement is pretty much Saruman figuring out gunpowder.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

Only the first 2 movies and the Alien comics starring Newt and Hicks are canon.

Those comics would make a good miniseries chronicaling the near total assimilation of Earth.

What about Superman vs Aliens, Batman vs Aliens and Superman and Batman versus Aliens and Predator? Pretty sure those are canon!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Evilreaver posted:

Batman vs Predator would be rad as hell

Well if you like reading comics, you're in luck!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

jjack229 posted:

Tangential, but in one of the X-Men movies, I think Wolverine Origins, there is a mutant who can create electricity remotely. They show him running an elevator that was turned off and powering all the lightbulbs in his place (even though they are not plugged in). He should be one of the strongest mutants by putting anyone he wants into cardiac arrest or frying their brain. Instead, some thug comes to kill him and he just takes it like he has no defense.

Best villain in Misfits was the guy who could control milk. Seems harmless but pretty much everyone eats something containing milk or cheese. So he can just make the cheese crawl into your lungs or brain to kill you.
His only weakness are lactose intolerant people.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Timelines are also an issue, the most obvious one being holy-poo poo-what-happened-to-Obi-Wan-between-episode-3-and-4. That's supposed to be what...20 years? You know what's also 20 years? Ewan McGregor in episode 1 and Ewan McGregor now with a little more grey hair.

I get why it's screwed up. Obi-Wan had to be subordinate to Qui-Gon so you couldn't make him as old as he'd have needed to be in the prequels or adequately age him through that trilogy without messing up the Anakin and Padme storyline. If only everyone had as indeterminate of an age as Baby Yoda.

Baby Yoda is 50 years old. They said so in the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Spent my hospital show watching on Green Wing. I regret nothing!