Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Why didn't Peter become a normal dude after he launched the cross-species cure at the end of the Amazing Spider-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Stargate posted:

I watched that movie last night and they handled Batman pretty badly compared to the other two movies (and I've never read the comics so I can't comment on that). Like he's just standing around not doing anything a lot of the time, and the camera work is so dull as well.

No he was handled pretty badly in the Dark Knight as well. The whole end of that movie was bullshit since the goddamned Batman IE: the worlds greatest detective shouldn't have needed a super cell-phone radar. He should have just figured it out based on some stupid detail and then been done with it. Also he lost to dogs because the man is so stupid he didn't remove his goggles once the hostages were freed.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

Why does it even matter how obtrusive they are if they just neuralise everyone? Motherfucker could wear a sandwich board all "YO I AM THE LIKEABLE FISH-OUT-OF-WATER EVERYMAN WHO WORKS FOR A SECRET GOVERNMENT ORGANISATION THAT MANAGES EXTRA TERRESTRIAL AFFAIRS ON EARTH" and it wouldn't matter.

Because they only neuralize people who've seen extra terrestrial poo poo. They didn't neuralize the newspaper vendors or anything.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tyrannosaurus posted:

We really need to make a PYF Totally loving Rational Irritating Movie Moments

Nope, because there is no way that dog wouldn't get lost in a memory of Christmas dinner and murder everyone in the test chamber.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I hate to touch the poop here, but I've got one for Return of the Jedi.

In the big fight scene at the end of the movie, the rebellion destroys the giant star destroyer and the death star and then we cut to the planet for celebrations and singing loving ewoks. But what about the couple of hundred other star destroyers they were fighting?

"At that close range, we won't last long against those Star Destroyers!"

Well, apparently he was wrong.

They wouldn't have. But the shield got dropped rather quickly into the trap and dumb luck hosed over command due to the captial ship being blown the gently caress up by some random A-Wing which doesn't make any goddamned sense if the ship had some kinds of shields but hey, it's loving Star Wars so who gives a poo poo?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

oldpainless posted:

One thing that realy irritated me watching the 2012 Amazing Spiderman is how much of a loser pussy Peter is. Talking to Gwen is like listening to a stuttering Jeff Goldblum as Peter fumbles and nervously repeats himself and just trails off sentences. Running time could have been cut by 8 minutes if Peter talked more like a normal human being instead of a "nerd" by movie standards.

Also, he needs to get in his locker and people are up against it kissing so he just tries to open it 2 inches from the side and barely grabs the book he needs staying silent the entire time. Jesus Christ say something you spineless bitch.

The point is he is a loser high schooler who gains confidence in his personal life by beating the everloving poo poo out of people. His ability to communicate and assert himself is much better after nearly murdering several people. Just look at the dinner scene with Captain Stacy and how he articulates his argument after spending weeks wrecking people's poo poo based on a vague description.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

nucleicmaxid posted:

Including a female horse. Complete with carrying sleipnir to term!

This happened in a Marvel published comic as well as mythology?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

It happened but as something characters have talked about happening in the past. There aren't issues of Thor where Loki is running around as a pregnant horse.

Well that's mildly disappointing if only for the sheer absurdity of it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I understand that it's not going to be an exact analogy nor is it meant to be, but it works much better as separate universe than as part of the whole Marvel one is all I'm saying.

Ok so how come the human torch is beloved in the Marvel world?

Marketing and Public Relations. Seriously, that's like the whole gimmick of the Fantastic Four. Even both of the lovely movies explain this is because Reed felt so guilty that he turned his friends and family into freaks that he made them a freak show rather than outcasts.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Your thinking of die hard 4 and apple boy was just some random hacker dude, I think maybe Johns daughter was dating him. Either way besides a few funny moments like John covering up the camera thinking the bad guy can't hear him was the most horrible of the die hard franchise.

Nope. 4 wasn't good but it was kind of fun. 5 (AKA: the Russian one) is godawful all the way through.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

I remember the silkscreening scene but forgot the part where he orders stuff online. It's not how he gets his materials that get me, it's just how his suits look so well made for a kid just scraping together cash. But I guess that says a lot about Peter's character to make the most with what he's got.

It's just a speedskating suit with a custom mask with sunglass lesnes and some sperg-level detailed silkscreening on the suit and has some sneakers. That's the whole suit and it shouldn't have taken too long to make with some decent sewing skills and some free time.

The real question is how the hell Gwen sewed up the new suit for ASM2 (AKA: the best spidey movie suit) and made it look so nice since it was a totally custom job.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Makes sense to me. Peter may be a genius, able to invent incredible stuff like web fluid, but when it comes to practical stuff he is really dumb. Just the fact that he thinks the best use of his time is swinging around the city hoping to come across a crime happening tells you that.

Yeah this is a guy who bitches about not having money when he could just go work for Tony Stark down the street and solve ALL OF HIS PROBLEMS. Dude's a total moron and we love him for it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

This bugged the poo poo out of me in Terminator Salvation. John Connor walks into a trap and gets cornered by a terminator (which for some reason is not armed with a gun) and it just throws him around the room instead of just snapping his neck or breaking him over his knee Bane Style. Hell a robot could probably easily rip out your heart or just pop your skull like the mountain

And he punched the tin man so hard his heart stopped in the same drat scene which makes it even more stupid.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I dunno, watching this, he didn't seem to do much of anything. Only Dillon was in any way aggressive, and Billy didn't even have a gun.

The Predator is a giant pussy. If they fight Aliens, humans must be real loving easy to kill.

Humans are smart, work in groups, and fight really dirty. We are awesome prey to predators.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Did they say no TK in SHIELD? I know they said no psychics / clairvoyance but they said that because they had a big list of people with powers and every time they investigated a psychic it was a false positive. They wanted to find psychics, they just never had.

SHIELD is kind of hilarious when you factor in that they can't reference X-men, as otherwise their list would be like 90% mutants probably and have plenty of psychics.

None of the X-Men in the films (which is what they would reference) were psychic and could see the fututre, just gently caress with peoples minds and some could move poo poo with their brains.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'd say leaving the venom aspect out of Bane's character was the right thing to do. He's always been Batman's dark mirror and he's so scary because he's just a better Batman. Smarter, stronger, quicker. I really don't know why they had him Venom up in the first place other than it made him more EXTREEEEME. Then because I presume people didn't know how to write a good story about an evil batman he became another Hulk. Kinda like Venom himself from Spider-man. Never written well as the dark mirror so comes off as a complete goof-ball.

Also agreeing that the stock dinosaur effect almost ruined the Babadook. We nearly pissed ourselves laughing when that happened. Loved the film otherwise.

He had venom because he wasn't as good as Batman. He only broke Batman's back after breaking out everyone from Arkham on the same night and waited until Batman was too exhausted to properly fight back when he broke his back in his original appearance. He did this specifically because he knew he probably couldn't beat Batman in a straight fight. Even in DKR he isn't fighting smart or well trained Batman, just stupid and old Batman who just runs into danger and gets his rear end whooped like an average chump because that fight scene sucked.

Ra's Al Ghul is more of a dark mirror of what a man of Bruce's skills and wealth could become if he truly believed murdering criminals and saving the earth by any means necessary was the best course of action.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Did anybody ever try shooting a gun at a Wizard in the Harry potter books? It seems like most wizarding duels are two guys trading spells with spells that can be reacted to. For the most part you can't really react to a bullet pointed at you (other than wincing in pain)

Dont do this, then you will wonder why the hell Hogwarts people never contacted the muggle military to help deal with Voldemort since he threatens the whole damned planet and you start going down a big rabbit hole of logical things and ruin Harry Potter's stupid universe. which isn't hard to do in the first place.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Things that start long tangents of discussion in this thread:

Looper
Harry Potter
Lord Of The Rings
Star Wars
Back To The Future

X-Men

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

In the Ultimate Marvel Universe (an off-shoot of the regular Marvel comics designed to appeal to people who don't want to have to deal with decades of backstory), a black-hispanic kid called Miles Morales accidentally gets bitten by a modified spider from a project that reverse-engineered Spider-Man's powers (this being comics, this is a massive over-simplification of what happens). When Peter Parker dies heroically, Miles - who wanted no part of being a super-hero and didn't get involved at all - realizes that with great power comes great responsibility, and he could have perhaps made a difference. So he takes on the mantle of Spider-Man himself and becomes a hero.

"Normal" universe Spider-Man is still early 30s Peter Parker, so Marvel got to do something cool with the character in the ultimate universe and keep it's precious status-quo... unless it involves marriages.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had no idea that's what that "Prima Nocta" line was all about, that's a bit :stare: even for Tony Stark. But why even have him say that? Is Tony Stark the kind of guy to have knowledge about old medieval customs enough to make a joke like that?

Overall the writing was really kinda bad in Age of Ultron. Ultron himself is pretty much a perfect example of it, we're suppose to be taking this guy seriously as a threat but he's just joking around the entire goddamn time.

His personality is based on Tony Stark, a guy who has been a complete sarcastic and joking douchebag for 5 movies at the this point. It made sense given that Stark likes to add personality to his various AI's as seen in JARVIS and FRIDAY so why not make Ultron the same kind of way but more like Stark himself to combat the various serious poo poo the Avengers have to deal with?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Infinity War should really let Banner go into a quasi Grey Hulk or Green MK 3 or whatever.
There was a time when he was just The Hulk with all the intellect and faculties of Banner and never needed to form down.
poo poo, he even got married and had special business suits made to fit his enormous frame. Something in the middle would be cool. Like he gets trapped as The Hulk and has an internal war that culminates with Banner coming out and influencing Hulk and maybe talking full sentences!

He'd still have to be voiced by Lou Ferigno though.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

But why weren't the turrets manned for the Battle of Endor, damnit?

They were, just by rebel guy #1 and rebel guy#2 who weren't Lando loving Calrissian, so nobody gave a gently caress.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

The T1000 is (like Arnie's terminator) a learning machine - you can watch the progress of this throughout the film: at the start, a couple of shotgun blasts put him down for a while as he slowly melts back together but by the end he's getting cut in half lengthways and responding with kung-fu. He also learns (again like Arnie) to be more human as time goes on and so he's just being a dick because she annoyed him.
:goonsay:

its because the liquid nitrogen hosed his poo poo all up so he can't morph his person or voice very well. This is why when its acting like Sarah later her feet morph into the floor grating. Don't play with Liquid Nitrogen if you are a liquid metal robot.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Because it's a x-men movie and not a MCU movie, and x-men movies don't always have after-the-credits scenes, and when they do they generally suck?

the x-men 3 one was kind of cool, but yeah, they mostly suck. Even the one for Deadpool was lame, but still funny.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

Speaking of fire extinguishers, have they ever actually been used to extinguish fires in any movie or show ever? They seem to be the go-to for beating people unconscious, finding laser tripwires or occasionally providing pressure for an improvised bomb or jetpack. Not so much the fire thing.

Ghostbusters 2 had one that was both a battering ram, and put out a fire all in the same scene.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

A broad IIMM for me is when a character (especially if they are not rushed or pressured) walks into water/some other fluid without taking their shoes and socks off first. I hate hate hate the feeling of having wet shoes and socks, so whenever I see it depicted in a movie, a part of me gets annoyed because dude there's nothing chasing you and there's nothing demanding you rush, take your drat shoes and socks off before you wade in, have you never had to dry shoes out, ever.

If you walk into a river, stream, or lake barefoot, you are asking to get your feet cut up by rocks or debris. I'd rather take wet shoes over a piece of sharp rock embedded into my sole.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Mild CW spoilers, but drat it was irritating.

There is no god damned way on this planet that Spidey is NOT a huge nerd, and he doesn't know the title of the best god damned Star Wars movie made.

Tech and science nerd, not fantasy movie nerd.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Who is the guy between Hercules and Iron Man in that picture?

The real question is why is 1970's second coming of stereotypical Jesus a middleweight?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

Agents of Shield says they've been tracking enhanced humans for decades.

Plus, Ant Man was kicking rear end as the Captain America of 70s and 80s under wraps from SHIELD so the general public never knew.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

credburn posted:

Not having read any of the comics, where this could possibly be explained, I get really annoyed watching any kind of superhero movie because the only real struggle any of them face can be reduced simply to not having enough time. I became aware of this way back when I was a wee credburn, watching Superman, and thinking that if nothing can hurt him and he can't die, then what is the point of any of this? I guess he might not get to the bus in time to save it, or something. But that was Superman, and yeah, I get that kryptonite or whatever can kill him, but other than that he is, to me, the most boring manifestation of a superhero, because he can do anything and he can't die. But that was Superman, so okay, that's fine.

But now I watch these other superhero movies and I just don't get it. They all seem to be superman. Thor, for instance. He can't be hurt, he can't die, he can fly, and yet the movies occasionally put him in some scenario where he appears to be in danger. But we've seen him get loving run over by a building, we've seen him fly, we've seen him come back from all of this with not a scratch on him, only a little one-liner and then he's back in the action. The same for many other superheroes. Captain America, also, apparently can't be hurt, judging from The Winter Soldier. So what's the real adversary, here? They might not save the people in time. That's it. THEY aren't in any danger, except I guess for mind-controlling sticks or whatever nefarious deed Hot Topic Loki is hatching. I guess I'm just talking about the smaller scenes, with the small fights and this illusion that there is some risk here.

Don't show me a superhero get run over by a cement mixer and then try and make me think the bank robber is going to hurt him with a gun.

Captain America got shot several times in the Winter Soldier and needed hi shield to stand up to a minigun. Thor is an alien who can get hosed up by other aliens. Also the risk is that they are trying to save the world from a catastrophe in every superhero movie, not just stay alive.

Thor tries to save the town from the death robot in thor 1, and tries to keep the infinity stone from the evil elf in thor 2.

Captain America had to destroy the helicarriers in the Winter Soldier while getting shot and being forced to beat the poo poo out of his best friend. These are primary aspects of the plot in each of these movies if you paid attention.

In the winter soldier there is a whole scene of him struggling against normal dudes in an elevator. How do you gather he can't be hurt?

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Oct 5, 2016

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really liked Luke Cage but I feel like if the NYPD actually came across a bullet proof black man they'd just nuke the entire city.

Also it sucks that they keep mentioning Hammer tech because I know Sam Rockwell is in ocean jail and he's never going to show up in any Marvel stuff and just start dancing. Instead of end credit stingers all Marvel movies should just have videos of Sam Rockwell starting a dance troupe for troubled supervillians in prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIq-hoWpRM

Hammer isn't a supervillain so he isn't on the raft. He's just an idiot with money, and since the MCU refuses to actually evolve since the attack on New York, he's probably out of prison by Age of Ultron since he has money.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought the shakycam worked in the first Bourne film because he doesn't know how he is loving the mooks up he's just acting on muscle memory and has no idea how the hell he knows how to do any of that stuff so the camerawork being confusing is appropriate because it reflects his mental state.

In all the other films it added nothing.

It started in the second film, the first just sped up the footage to make it look like a superhero punched a bunch of cops in the dick and stole their guns. "Shakey Cam" was introduced by Paul Greengrass and was probably the movie that made it popular in mainstream cinema. Problem is, It was cool in Bourne because of how it was used, not so much in most of its other applications.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I liked him in GI Joe. He plays a jarhead fairly well.

To be fair, radiation was only behind like 1.5 of the original avengers. Hulk was radiation, Cap was a combo if radiation and steroids. Thor was a god, Iron Man was MAGNETISM AND DIODES AND TRANSISTORS! and Giant man was just some new kinda particle he invented for growin' big.

But yea, mostly it's drugs and radiation that lead to superheroes, or dead parents, I guess.

Wasn't there some issue where Captain America stood against drugs and some dude called him out on the fact that the super soldier serum WAS A DRUG?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Spider-Ham is a spider that was bitten by a radioactive pig.

Does Marvel Studios own the rights to Spider-Ham?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

Rogue One

I hate when they show old grizzled warriors known for their tenacity and ability to survive just decide to get killed for no reason all of a sudden. The way Saw died is even worse than the Blackfish in Game of Thrones because at least he decided to take some dudes with him.

Are you serious? It was the will of the force. Always trust in your shaolin monk's words of wisdom.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Comstar posted:

I wounder if they'll take up that in another movie - if the Force is with you and you're not a Skywalker, prepare to be dead the second the Force has no further use for you. The Force is a very harsh mistress.

Yep. even skywalkers have to sacrifice their hand to the force. Leia didn't and she never became a jedi

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing that irritated me when I was little was why He-Man evwn bothered with a secret identity when Skeletor wanted to kill Prince Adam and all his friends and family anyway.

Because then he'd get harassed by the Paparazzi and people needing him to open tight jar lids.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Names in Star Wars bother me; we never see a Frank or Anna, it's all stuff like Anakin, Obi-Wan and Porkins.

Uh, Luke and Ezra....... and yeah, that's about it. But it's a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, naming conventions were different then.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

prequels.gif

aren't the both blocking an attack that never came since they read eachother wrong? A better gif would be the "fight" between anakin and dooku where they just stare at eachother while colored lights screen across their faces since Christopher Lee was an 80 year old man.

dordreff posted:

Following the guy who basically defined swordfighting in film was always going to be a tricky thing to do, but drat did that guy gently caress it up. There's all this poo poo about how there's 7 or whatever forms of lightsabre fighting and then he just has everyone fight almost exactly the same, including the little old man who walks with a drat stick.

Nerd writers made like, 7 forms but never consulted with the guy doing to choreography and he was really pissed. Lucas didn't give a poo poo about the forms either, and ignored them in the clone wars.

Nuebot posted:

And that right there is the problem I have with it, thank you. Everyone just flips and jumps around. Even someone who's never used a lightsaber before. It's weird and terrible. Luke and Vader fought differently. It was clear Luke had no training, he was just trying to smash vader with his laser sword. Vader mostly kept to small, almost mechanical movements when he fought. But then in all the new stuff everyone just twirls and flips.

If you aren't trying to kill someone who is untrained, why would you do anything other than small movements, where a big one means that your stupid son made the wrong move and stabbed himself on your lightsaber. Vader was in total control and never needed to exert himself, and in Jedi he never wanted to exert himself much. And in IV they litterally had Dave Prowse, a man who could barely see in the helmet do the actual fighting so it looked horrible, despite Guiness having some old school theatrical fencing training.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

We have to remember that Dale, while being pretty nutty crazy, was progressive in his own way. He was supportive of John Redcorn's attempts to get his land and fine with him being gay. gently caress, he was fine with his own dad being gay!

I doubt Hank would like Trump just based on the fact the man has an ego the size of Texas, he's never wrong, and the second Hank tried to explain propane, Trump would bark about charcoal. Or Trump would put his hands on Luanne, and Hank would have to kick his rear end.

Bill would do whatever Hank told him. IE, Trump might have a wonderful head of hair, but he's a huge jerk.

Cotton would love Trump until the latter insulted veterans or his height. Then game on, you Yankee!

I could totally see this happen, and probably would have if Brittany Murphy was still alive.