Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Razorwired posted:

They're capricious dicks.

birds.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Wowie!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Frostwerks posted:

Does this count as a meltdown?

I was reading this thread on my phone and was amazed when that post just kept going and going

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

bobua posted:

What is the appropriate age to mention to children that birds make(fertilize for the pedantic) eggs by having the sex? (Pg-)13 seems a little late.

I dated a man in his late 20s who thought birds fertilize their eggs the way fish do. I guess there was no Happy Feet for his generation.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm watching Once Upon A Time, and in the beginning of the third episode a princess and her prince are bouncing along in a horse-drawn carriage through the woods, their royal guard flanking them. But then, the carriage draws to a halt. The prince and princess exchange a few puzzled words, and then the prince exits the carriage to see a tree fallen across the road. Hmn. He approaches, and they study it for a few moments before he touches the log and says, "This tree didn't fall -- it was cut. It's an ambush!"

And then they're attacked.

Kinda lost the element of surprise there, didn'tcha? Couldn't you've moved any faster at all?

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Aug 1, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just watched Oculus and it really bothered me that it is established very early in the film that the haunted mirror is capable of "defending itself" when people attempt to destroy it. This is accomplished by distracting the attacker into putting down their weapon and leaving, or altering their perception so that they are striking the wall instead of the mirror itself, etc. Kaylie creates a "fail safe," an anchor on a timer that will swing down and smash into the mirror unless she manually resets the timer every hour or so. At the climax of the movie, her brother releases the anchor, thinking he will smash the mirror and end it, but the mirror has lured Kaylie into standing in front of it. The anchor strikes her and kills her, the mirror is unharmed, and her brother is arrested for murder. Roll credits.

Was the audience just supposed to forget that the mirror can and will protect itself? The ending wasn't shocking enough to be a twist, but there wasn't enough tension maintained for it to be one of those nail-biters that you know is coming. It just bugged me.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I find Captain America as a character incredibly boring, but TWS turned out to be one of my favorite Marvel movies. The fight scenes were fantastic, the plot moved along briskly, and Cap and Black Widow even got some personality injections.

In contrast TDKR seemed slow and bombastic.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inzombiac posted:

At the end of School of Rock the other band wins the competition despite Jack Black's Band of Misfits clearly getting the audience's favor. Like, the audience loses their loving mind so what metric is this competition based on? Was Spider's leather pauldrons and gyrating hips enough to win the vote or was it the lead singer's open silk shirt?
It's just a lazy way to drive home the moral of the story. They could have tried to make the competition at least comperable despite being Jack Black's former band members; a fact that only the movie audience is privy to.

At approximately the time of this posting I was watching the end of School of Rock and commenting about it in GOON guild chat. This is a really strange round-about way to hold a conversation Zomb

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Sep 16, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inzombiac posted:

That means you and I were watching it at almost the exact same time (Netflix?) but I'm not in GOON. Gos, does this mean I am your secret boyfriend? Don't tell Arus, I don't want to be eaten.

I think it means the government is tracking us. Did you also consider watching Saving Silverman afterwards and then decide nope too much Jack Black?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inzombiac posted:

No, I ended up watching Step-Brothers for some reason.

A fleeting moment of unity, lost forever to the comedy stylings of Will Ferrell.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Organza Quiz posted:

I watched Snowpiercer on Netflix the other day. I thought it was a good, solid movie and I know a lot of it is about the cool images but there were a couple of things that irrationally bugged me anyway:

I loved the movie but had the exact same problem(s) with it that you did. Given the way they measured the children before taking them and the way the upper class had constant supply of fresh meat I thought for sure the reveal was going to be something really horrible, especially since the lower class had been in the same situation and forced to find an alternate way to feed themselves. The kids manually cranking train gears seemed downright tame by comparison.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I am Irrationally Irritated that all the dinosaurs aren't covered in feathers this time around.

Preferably without a single word of explanation as to why they don't look like the old ones.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

KoB posted:

Theyre crossed with frogs, come on man.

Well I didn't say I was rationally irritated

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Light Gun Man posted:

That reminds me, the non-engish conversations in Agents of SHIELD say gently caress it and don't sub a drat thing. People will have a whole conversation in Russian or whatever and you don't know what the hell they are saying, and it's ok. The world doesn't end or anything.

I really like it when shows/movies do this. It's more... I don't know, immersive?

I was watching Snowpiercer while stoned and had subtitles turned off, and I didn't realize until halfway through the film that the scenes in Korean were supposed to be subbed and also had a whole lot of important plot points.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was really bothered by the cinematic universe version of the Mandarin since the original was, like, a perfect tie-in after the events of The Avengers. Tony's got PTSD from literal aliens, the Mandarin's rings' power is drawn from aliens. C'mon, Marvel.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Well, yeah, there is that, but I think they could have created a version of the character with the rings that wasn't incredibly racist.

Maybe I give them too much credit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Was Billy Madison the one where the guy is mumbling in lightning-fast French and Adam Sandler goes "SLOW DOWN" and the guy repeats himself just as mumblyfast and then Adam Sandler says "Ohhh!" because that was pretty funny.

disclaimer: that is the only part of any Adam Sandler movie I have ever seen

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

muscles like this? posted:

In Furious 7 Iggy Azalea shows up for one line. Why?

That reminds me, she got mentioned near the beginning of Kingsman: Secret Service and I spent the entire movie expecting her to show up for a dumb gag at some point and she never did. Man. Kingsman was a great movie.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

In fact, I'm irrationally irritated it's not available on blu-ray yet.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BioEnchanted posted:

I also liked that he grew to like the bird that Hemmer got him even though it wasn't his 'burd'. Normally that kind of character would have killed the replacement to make a point about 'not my burd' but he was reasonable.

Surprising nobody, I really liked this too. His affection for the bird was a pretty good way to humanize him imo and make him a little more than the typical heartless-criminal-thug sort of villain.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I only watched the first season and a half of Californication but my irrationally completely rationally irritating movie moment was how every female character was a one dimensional conniving whore bitch

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm watching Hannibal for the first time and in the season 1 episode with the Angelmaker the way they found his body was so, so stupid. He tied his own feet, carved out the flesh of his own back and supported the "wings" by wire, also strung himself up 20 - 30 feet above the ground with his arms spread and tied to opposing rafters that were, like, another 20 feet apart. I mean, I've read this thread so I went in with a generous suspension of disbelief, but goddamn. Everybody takes this completely in stride, too. No "wait, maybe he had a partner that strung him up" or anything. Just "welp, that solves that, case closed everybody."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah I'm really enjoying the show overall but ugh that episode.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Seems legit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Blast Fantasto posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy, and to a lesser extent to Marvel franchise as a whole, is goofy as hell.

But on the other hand we have DC Comics, who plan to grimdark the poo poo out of you.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EmmyOk posted:

Someone recently made a Power Rangers one where it's all dark and evil which was pretty dumb imho.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

PicklePants posted:

I think a lot of it, is that since Avengers 1, he's been blaming himself more and more and his comic book "PTSD" isn't helping. He's trying to be a futurist, looking out for the world, but not only does he continually invite people to come attack him and the people he loves, but the stuff he does in attempts to fix things constantly blows up in his face in catastrophic ways.. Now, here he is again, and his friends are "betraying" and abandoning him, and he's becoming more and more irrational and emotional as it goes on.

Throughout Civil War, Tony isn't the jokey, cool guy, anymore, at least not until he got into the suit during the battle. Through out it, he's just constantly agitated, worried, he might make some jokes, but he's also a guy who carries Iron Man tech to peace summits, and restricted locations, because he's too afraid to be without it. I think that's part of the reason why he's looking and agreeing to Government overlook, or UN stuff, so it's not on his head anymore. If the Avengers can't go to _____ because the government says so, it's not on his head. If they do go, and something happens, it's because they were requested to be there and the risks were weighed, and his people would be protected.

Pepper left him because he can't stop building Iron Man suits, even after he destroyed them all after IM III. He can't stop obsessing. When he blasts Falcon, it's the cracks starting to show, Falcon was down there to look after Rhodey, everyone had pretty much stopped fighting at that point and Falcon was non-aggressive with his defenses completely down, worried too much about Rhodey to even give a poo poo about the fight. Tony blames himself, and he's afraid, afraid that more people will get hurt, his friends, innocent people, and it'll be his fault, he'd never admit it, but it feels like it's there. He just doubles down on his ideas, because his rationale is more black and white.

I don't often weigh in, in this thread, but I just wanted to say that I am one of the (few?) people still pro-Tony after the film and I feel like this was a really excellent explanation of why I feel that way.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ugly In The Morning posted:

isnt that basically what he did when he went into the future to find the one timeline where they won?

I think OPL means to prevent murderpalooza from happening at the end altogether, and I think the answer to that is that Thanos was already so strong and in possession of so many stones that a simple time loop would never contain him successfully, and Strange saw that. It seemed that the one victorious scenario he saw involved Thanos getting the stone, and Tony surviving the snappening, and so Strange gave up the stone to make sure he was spared. That's why just before getting dusted he was like welp it's outta my hands now, gl brah

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love how Supes just looks super fuckin confused in that last panel hahaha

e:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Okay, just watched Hereditary (this thread is great for making me watch movies I'd been meaning to watch so I can mouse over spoilers) and my IIMM is it built up so much scary/creepy character-based psychological horror and then just kinda farted itself out.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oldpainless posted:

In Friends, there is a certain recipe of cookie that makes Ross vomit.

I'd just like to observe that even with my Firebug shenanigans to fit in longer thread titles than SA naturally allows, this doesn't entirely fit. Damnit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jedit posted:

Oldfiftypercentless.

nice

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hi, IIMM thread. You're goddamn killing me. Please somebody else watch "Sierra Burgess Is A Loser" on Netflix so instead of Star Wars we can discuss while it's a super cute Cyrano de Beregac adaptation for the modern age Sierra's behavior is still horrid AF. thanks

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

like legit I just watched and enjoyed the film but drat the catfishing is hosed up

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Zaphod42 posted:

Magicians has a cool world but the characters are all AWFUL people.

I think it intentional, maybe to make them seem less heroic and more real? Can't stand anybody but Penny though.
Absolutely intentional. Quentin was not written as a noble protagonist and everyone else is varying degrees of awful as well. Penny is actually way more likeable in the show than in the books, imo (and gorgeous :swoon: )

McDragon posted:

I like that TV Magicians went entirely different from the books. It started off trying to adapt the first one which didn't go too well and then it just ran off into its own thing. They're both neat looks at what if magic was real and wizards were pricks. Also everyone is very pretty and very mean
I'm still only halfway though season 2 of the TV show but I'm really enjoying how they seem to have decided to keep the spirit of the source material but just make some good fun watching instead of a loyal adaptation. Really good choice for sure.

oldpainless posted:

You know who does good world building stuff imo? Dishonored.

Welp bye
:bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes:
Dishonored 2 was loving perfection but I wish they hadn't answered so many questions in DotO that were better and more tantalizing while ambiguous.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Phone posting so not quoting!

Re: Reynard: YES YES YES. Reynard is actually the whole reason that although I originally devoured the show as it came out I then had to... stop and try again from scratch a year later, lol :( (e: poo poo, it's been more like two years hasn't it.) On my first watch I didn't make it too long past that whole, you know.

Re: Dishonored: PLAY THAT poo poo! I am a person who typically never cares about game lore/worldbuilding but Dishonored is incredible and I read every scrap of in game lore I came across because they tell you just enough to make everything so, so tantalizing. Also don't play DH2 unless you've finished the original and its DLC. It's so worth playing it in order.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Sep 18, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My immediate IIMM is how much I enjoyed Unfriended 2: Social Media BOOgaloo.

e: realized 25 hrs later my grave error in saying 'Horrorloo' and not 'BOOgaloo'

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Oct 18, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

fwiw, yiea, the mobile city thing annoys me too. I think for me it's less the concept of moving cities (hell, it worked for a castle) and more that they also survive by eating other smaller cities?? :confused:

I figured maybe I'd like the concept more if I actually read the book (I liked the Hunger Games books, and am an enormous fan of His Dark Materials), but I read the first chapter or so thanks to Amazon's preview function and ugh, the prose.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Krispy Wafer posted:

London gets Manchester in its sights and steadies the giant harpoon gun. Out of the corner of its eye it suddenly sees Bristol appear to its left.”

“Clever girl” London says right before Bristol strikes.

:laffo:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine some people probably get really annoyed when a trailer doesn't basically set out the plot.

I feel like a lot of people want to know what they're going to see, partly because a) going to the cinema is an expensive hobby and you don't want to waste your money on something you aren't going to like; and b) less frequently (probably just me being cynical - I see no reason not to be), people want to feel "smarter" than the movie and that means not being surprised by it. :shrug:
My thing is -- I almost never watch movie trailers by choice. Of course I'll come across them on TV occasionally, or before a movie I'm in the theater to see, but I generally decide whether I'd like to see a movie based on a quick plot synopsis and/or word of mouth, and avoid trailers since they're prone to spoiling things I'd rather experience myself.

However, ever so often there's a film that I feel as though might appeal to me, and my usual scant research doesn't do me enough, so I watch a trailer. And in those situations yeah, honestly the current trend of a whole bunch of fantastic visuals, but no hint as to the actual movie structure whatsoever, is not appealing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My favorite thing about him in JL was him slamming a 12oz glass of whiskey like it's no big deal.

idk, JL Batffleck sounds pretty relatable to me