Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

ducttape posted:

When someone fires a gun into the air to get another persons attention. Yes, it makes a loud noise, but bullets do come down (and, for that matter, occasionally hurt people in the process). Doubly so when the person doing the shooting is the 'good guy', trying to avoid actually shooting the 'bad guy', while standing in a field of dirt/grass/sand/anything you could safely fire a bullet into a few meters from you and still get your point across.

Yeah but you might end up shooting the Invisible Swordsman and then you're screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Shibby0709 posted:

Jurassic World becomes much better if you read it as a satire of studio and audience demands on Hollywood blockbusters.

The movie makes sense when you realize that Jake Johnson's character is the director's self-insert.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Doesn't Gandalf slamming his staff down on the bridge break the bridge so that it collapses when the Balrog steps on it? I always assumed that's what happened.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Prime Keanu vs. Old Dennis Hopper always seemed like a weird fight at the end of Speed, especially since Dennis Hopper wins before Keanu outmaneuvers him.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
At the beginning of The Avengers, Tony Stark is returning to Stark Tower after giving himself and only himself free power forever. As he's walking in, JARVIS tells him that Agent Coulson wants to speak with him and Tony says, "I'm not in," and then there's a beat and he says, "I'm actually out." It's filmed and delivered like it's a joke (there's even a pause after it for people to laugh) but... it's not a joke. I mean he's technically outside when he says it but that's still not funny.

It bothers me so much and I'm not sure why.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I am watching all the Marvel movies and I kind of hate Tony Stark with a burning passion now. It's a lot to take when you watch them all in a row.

Also Captain America's costume in The Avengers loving sucks, what the hell were they thinking

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mentioned Con Air a couple of pages ago, and it's really strange to me that Nicolas Cage of all people was one of the world's biggest action stars for a few years in the late 90s: he won his Oscar then immediately went on to The Rock, then Con Air, then Face/Off, then Gone In 60 Seconds, off the top of my head.

It seemed like a dare another producer made to Jerry Bruckheimer while they were doing coke or something.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
He's perfectly legible in Black Hawk Down, although maybe that's because he has to yell all of his dialogue to the deafened guy he's paired with all movie.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The new Magnificent Seven film completely changes the message of the original and it makes me so Goddamn mad.

Also, one of the heroes is a straight-up suicide bomber and it comes off kind of weird.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Han tell Luke, "May the Force be with you," right before Luke goes off to blow up the Death Star in A New Hope.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I actually like Relic but I recently read the sequel and then the synopses of the other books starring Penderghast and holy poo poo did they go off in a weird direction.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, Arachnophobia rules and is good.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The scene is ruined for me because I can't stand the lovely cop actor that says something like "Oh hell naw, I did NOT sign up for this" and he won't shut up through the whole sequence. There's things like that riddled through all his Batman movies.

e: I'll admit it. Besides Memento, I don't think I like Nolan anymore. I can't watch any of his other movies without finding something to complain about.

The weirdest thing about that cop is that he's played by Nicky Katt, who is generally a fantastic actor and has had a lot of memorable roles. He was great in Insomnia, directed by Christopher Nolan.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Predator handles it well by making Arnold an American soldier with the nickname “Dutch.” You fill in the blanks with your own story.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Reign of Fire is irritating because it’s just okay but a movie starring Matthew McConaughey, Christian Bale & Gerard Butler where they fight dragons in a post-apocalyptic wasteland should be the greatest movie ever made.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

People have brought it up before, but also Thor's arc in Ragnarok is centered around "Thor is more than a hammer" then he spends the entirety of Infinity War making a new hammer

He also learns how to be a king in Ragnarok and then in Endgame decides he’d much rather go gently caress around the galaxy instead.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't think of a movie that just existed on the screen more than Red Dragon. I was bored out of my mind in the theater and it's a movie where a tattooed Ralph Fiennes glues a naked Phillip Seymour Hoffman to a wheelchair, sets him on fire, and rolls him down the street for gently caress's sake.

Brett Ratner loving sucks.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Wasn't Iron Man the first approached to create the team? Or probably Hawkeye or Black Widow since they already work for Fury?

At the end of Iron Man 2 they deny Tony the opportunity to join The Avengers (he's only a consultant) so you think maybe he is going to have to earn his way in but then in The Avengers he just kinda shows up as a member so ???

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The Greatest Showman doesn’t just whitewash PT Barnum, who was even for his time a piece of poo poo, but it also turns Jenny Lind into a simpering hussy when she was, in fact, a devoted philanthropist who donated all of her American tour earnings to charity. It’s kind of hosed up!

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

What was the first movie or show to put the "Mexico filter" on their cameras to show that a scene is taking place south of the border?

Traffic, maybe? It had different filters on each story.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

Watching Heat which as fans of the film are well aware, the attention to detail is incredible at times. I get that it's required to advance the plot, but this is the IIMM thread after all -- so, with the armored truck job at the beginning of the movie, why not disarm the guards? Waingro executes one for seemingly no reason, and the next guard pulls a gun from his leg holster. The crew is acclaimed for how professional they are, yet they don't take the guns away? It doesn't make much sense to me, but then again, pulling in a dip poo poo, loose cannon like Waingro for such a tight crew in the first place was totally stupid.

I always figured Waingro was supposed to check them and didn't because he's a dipshit.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s not ultimately a great movie but What Dreams May Come is gorgeous so I guess I’m irrationally irritated that more movies don’t look like What Dreams May Come. The only thing I can think of that aped it was that DLC for The Witcher 3.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Also a lot of theaters don’t check their audio after it’s installed, I bet.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
A fate worse than death. Pretty dark, Tolkien.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

The Bloop posted:

The only bad part of moana to me was the coconut critters, not because their insane ship was bad in and if itself, it just felt very out of place in the movie to me

The animators really, really liked Fury Road and wanted to do something with it.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Mauser posted:

Are there any Marvel movies where any fight scene has like an ounce of tension?

I think the last fight scene in Iron Man 1 (where Tony isn’t at full power and Iron Monger is way bigger) and most of the fights in Iron Man 3 (since Tony goes through like 30 suits) all have some tension to them.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Either the Millie Bobbie Brown OR the Skarsgard plots could have been cut and it wouldn’t have mattered. Cut them both out, poo poo, who cares.

I did enjoy that Kyle Chandler spent King of the Monsters being the Serious White Man who had all the answers and then in this one he was completely befuddled the entire time. I think all of his lines were questions about what the hell was going on.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The opposite thing happened with the movie of World War Z where they cut out the original ending in which his character actually did stuff so in the released movie Matthew Fox is in it for like 2 seconds.

Terry Crews is a corpse at the beginning of Terminator: Salvation for no apparent reason. I kind of assumed he’d be the Terminator at the end or something but nope! He’s just dead.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
“Hey, I bet there a song here. Oh look, it’s ‘Ancient Lamentation Music.’ Thanks, subtitle writer!”

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Silent Hill 2 always seemed like the easiest to adapt into a film so it’s weird that they did 1 & 3 instead.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the Silent Hill games (I forget which one) is largely a beat for beat rip off of Jacob's Ladder so in a sense we already got that movie.

Silent Hill 2 rips off a bunch of scenes from Jacob’s Ladder but it’s ultimately enough of a different thing that you could probably make a movie about it without getting sued.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Biplane posted:

But how will people know what reactions to have if the protagonist doesn't literally spell it out for them

“Hey, listen! Link’s really sad right now!”

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Edit: Unrelated very stupid, very silly, very pointless question:

So Donald Duck wears a sailor outfit as standard yeah? Do we know if he was ever in the navy? What was his rank? Did he retire, or was he dishonourably discharged due to his rage issues?

It's a stupid question based off a stupid thing. But nerds often go deep into backstories/canon/reasons for little things in characters costumes, and there is no nerd like a Disney nerd.

Donald was in the army during World War II and retired as a buck sergeant before later joining the navy.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

If our real life billionaires would sink their money into making dinosaurs instead of killing unions I probably wouldn't hate them as much. I would still hate them, just probably not as much.

Hammond built his park on an island in Costa Rica to get around unions and regulations and many local workers died as a result!

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The flashback in John Wick is dumb and doesn’t add anything to the movie.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

The first movie opens on the penultimate scene with John's apparent death while watching a video of him and his wife on the beach. Then we get to that point in the story he just remembers he's John Wick and forgets he was bleeding to death.

Yeah, it plays the scene again and then he… just gets up and walks away? Very odd.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

nesamdoom posted:

maybe if you're getting a hitter from detroit or chicago. that's not pro poo poo though. anyone can clack 3 off from a 25 in someone's back, chuck it in the first river crossed on the way back to city, and make like 5k. But that's so much risk to reward that a decent plan is not standing 3 ft from someone. handguns aren't so innaccurate that you need to be within arms reach, if that's the gun someone has they might as well just stab someone. get a bladed revolver and chop them in the side of the neck and not make so much noise. it's not hitman and you getta shoot a mf and throw on a chef's hat and walk away. even drivebys make more sense, poppin out the window and going away rather than making a bunch of noise advertising felonious behaviour.

for clarity:i'm not trying to be a dick, i just sound like it most the time. :thumbsup:

Actually, you’re incorrect

Source: I’m the Jackal

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Chandler is a computer toucher who is not as funny as he thinks he is so he is definitely the goon

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It really bothers me that the Shazam movies are set in Philadelphia. Why aren’t they in Fawcett City? They’ve already established that Metropolis & Gotham City exist. It’s weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Oh drat guys I thought you were talking about the Mel Gibson movie. I loved that movie.