Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Celery Face posted:

Anytime Gerard Butler's character is onscreen in The Ugly Truth. Or The Ugly Truth in general. That movie is just terrible.

In Troy, before the bodies get burned, coins are put on their eyes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure they were actually put under the tongue. There's also a scene where you see a fleeing citizen drag a llama with him. A llama. In Ancient Greece.

Even more annoying about that scene in Troy is that there were no coins at the time when the Trojan War was alleged to take place -- Trojan War = c. 1250 BC; invention of coinage by the Lydians = c. 6th century BC. Also, being the older man in the pair, Achilles should have a beard. :argh: Aside from Briseis, anyway :v:

Don't get me started on Gladiator, although it never fails to crack me up that one of Russell Crowensius's choices of head-covering helmets just before his debut at the Coliseum is the Sutton Hoo helmet! (ie a dude from c.AD 180 Rome having a choice of wearing the ceremonial burial helmet of a 7th century AD Anglo-Saxon king).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Roblo posted:

I dunno, its a fair bit different, isnt it? Just seemed like a fairly generic spikey helmet to me (albeit a fairly non roman looking one)

Oh! The one R C picks out is just a HollyRome helmet, but when he's making his initial selection from the rack, if you look quick, one of the ones on display is the Sutton Hoo one. I didn't notice it until I saw it on a big screen in a lecture hall (I'd only seen it on dvd before), and it's a blink and you'll miss it moment.

Sorry about the confusion :hist101:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

John Big Booty posted:

gently caress, what wasn't wrong in Gladiator?

Or 99% of anything concerning Roman history, for that matter.

It was way more a metaphor for the whole Clinton-era 'family values' stuff popular at the time. Try watching it wearing 1990s American-coloured glasses and it makes a heck of a difference.

Also: Derek Jacobi as the 313+ year old Tiberius Gracchus.