Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jedit posted:

It was quite common to call a drunkard a winesack, the insult being that holding wine inside was the only thing he ever did. It clearly doesn't have the same impact in our modern era of highly nuanced insults like "loving oval office" and "dumb motherfucker", though.
+1, emptyquote and other internet expressions that indicate my approval and the fact I would have said the exact same thing, had I not been beaten to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One particularly annoying bit about movie shootouts is that people usually take turns shooting at each other, as though in a turn-based gamed. Particularly noticeable when the director tries to mask it via closeups.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I've seen a lot of parodies of that trope, but there was one that came out relatively recently and was really good. And now I can't find it because that's literally all I remember :/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm going to link to tvtropes (goon trigger warning)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheCorpseStopsHere
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BetterManhandleTheMurderWeapon
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuitWithVestedInterests

These are all really common tropes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I can't even come up with a movie that gives a poo poo about the geography of anything ever offhand. Some 70's car chase, maybe? Bullit / French Connection? It's really the last thing anyone will / should care about.

You don't even need to stay true to the area geography in order to stage a coherent chase scene with internal logic rather than a series of cuts, and that's like the one place where it could conceivably be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Is it irrational to be annoyed that he gets away with some rapey poo poo? Even as a child who had not even heard about social justice warriors I never liked that first "date" she's forced to endure, Rocky just getting way up in her space just keeps pressing on until she gives in. It's pretty lovely.

Disclaimer in case some cannot understand that a person can like a film and still disagree with given characters and how their scenes play out.

They were trying for this:

"Jabootu.net posted:

The core of the film, however, is Rocky’s pursuit of Adrian, the painfully shy sister of his mean and nearly retarded-seeming friend Paulie. It’s this relationship that really buoys the film and makes it work. Living a grim existence built around a crappy job and a home life that solely involves taking care of her brutish and verbally abusive brother, Adrian reacts to Rocky’s halting attentions with something approaching panic, so unused is she to simple affection and respect.

The scene where Adrian allows Rocky to seduce her is terrific, as she finally overcomes her fears that he’ll do something to hurt her. (This is cannily followed by a parallel scene in which Rocky is first offered the Creed fight. Similarly afraid that nothing good can come of such a bewildering stroke of luck, Rocky’s initial reaction is to turn the fight down.)

Anchored by a completely believable performance by Talia Shire, this relationship achieves many things. First, it shows that for all his fears, Rocky hasn’t given up on improving his life. Patently no Lothario, Rocky obviously sees something in Adrian that nobody else does, and is dogged but sweet in pursuing her. Their first date at a closed-up skating rink, as he attempts to use his sense of humor to get past her emotional barriers, is exceedingly well observed.