Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I can get over that in Batman movies, because nobody important just gets shot in the face in that universe. Same with slasher films where they mildly incapacitate Jason Vorhees or whatever and don't finish the job.
I saw the first ten minutes of the 2011 Three Musketeers movie the other day, because it was on TV and I saw that Mads Mikkelsen had a role.
Right at the beginning there was this cliche scene where person A walks into a room and suddenly person B is behind him and holds a gun to his/her head! But then it turns out that they are friends! And then it turns out that person A knew that person B was there and he actually holds a knife to his/her crotch! Wow they are so cool. And then they continue to throw witty oneliners at each other and a lot of sexual innuendo because person B is a chick with big breasts who wears a baroque dress while they break into some palace.

The movie continued to be amazingly lovely. It even starred Till Schweiger, and let me tell you as a German, it is Tarantino's greatest achievement to create a film with Till Schweiger that is not insufferably lovely.
Mads Mikkelsen however apparently plays the coolest dude in history. Some junior hero, whom the audience is supposed to like, just won't accept Mikkelsen's badassery and challenges him to a duel. The young lad then does the whole spiel with turning around and walking ten steps away from the opponent and when he turns back Mikkelsen just shoots him in the face - at least he tries, his gun was maladjusted or something and then I switched off the TV.

VVV

WS Anderson? drat, I didn't even know that, it makes so much sense. Especially how there is a scene that is a carbon copy of the laserbeam scene in Resident Evil, set in the 17th century.

sicDaniel has a new favorite as of 22:16 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

Aggressive pricing posted:

Then why give it a sword in the first place? Why build the factories necessary to build a giant sword that could never be used in battle, unless, by some crazy unexpected circumstance, you end up in space, far enough away that the blood will burn up on re-entry or float away. Not loving likely.

The sword was also just added to this specific version when Mako reassembled the Gipsy Danger. Also, they already have giant factories to build the Jagers, and it is their final attempt to fight the Kaijus before the funding is cut, so they go all in. In conclusion, Pacific Rim is the best film ever made.

I watched Source Code yesterday for the first time and I loved it. Very similar to Moon, because same director, one of those movies that introduce a strange concept step by step and (in my case) manage to have you wondering what is really going on for the first half or so. (spoilered just in case)What still irritated me was that they build this huge Source Code program and, apparently, actually believe that it's just a reconstruction of the last eight minutes of memory stored in the dying person's brain. Which makes no sense whatsoever because Jake Gyllenhaal has complete agency within this alleged memory, he can talk to people and leave the train etc, which cannot be part of the dead man's memory. But at some points the scientist guy actually refers to the whole thing as a parallel reality and tells the soldier that he can do whatever he wants. It's very inconsistent. Is the whole "just eight minutes" idea just a lie they tell him so he doesn't try to "change the future" and live happily ever after in his parallel reality? That would be absurdly cruel, if they knew that this is possible and still want to just delete his memory and keep using him.
As an aside, the whole concept and the reveal that Colter is just a consciousness in a machine reminded me of this very cool Promo video for SOMA, the next horror game by the people who made Amnesia.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Finally saw Pacific Rim last night. Eight helicopters would not be able to lift a Jaeger.

Also, at the end: "I can't find a pulse!" No poo poo, Dumbass, you're wearing gloves.

Of course the helis can lift the Jaegers, it happens several times in the film. They're special Jaeger-Helicopters.