Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This reminded me of the biggest reason I can't bring myself to enjoy Person of Interest despite it having a pretty cool premise (well, this and the unlikable main characters): Every episode has like three instances of the bad guys holding a good guy at gunpoint...and then standing there menacingly for like a full 5 seconds until another good guy shoots them. It happens in all kinds of movies and TV shows and it always drives me nuts but it's so prevalent in PoI specifically that it's the first thing I think about whenever I think of that show. If you have to build suspense like that, at least throw in a line about the bad guys needing to take the good guys alive for whatever reason, or make it so the audience sees the bad guy before the main character, or just anything at all on earth other than the bad guy pulling a gun and then zoning out until backup arrives.

Yeah, the last episode I saw they did this twice within the last 5 minutes of the show. First off the bad-guy-pointing-the-gun was wearing body armour though, so he could pop up just in time to be shot one more time as he was about to kill our heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I didn't like that they were able to identify every human being through their DNA from afar. Maybe I'm just short-sighted but I simply cannot fathom how it will ever be possible to check DNA without an actual sample from the person being tested.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jedit posted:

But you were right behind a skinny guy getting injected with drugs and bombarded with Magic Science Rays that made him grow a foot and gain sixty pounds of muscle in 15 seconds, I take it.

That's it, we might as well close the thread guys, Jedit says if you note one irrational dislike you have to list every other one as well.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I watched The American last night and thought it was great how they had George Clooney's assassin character take his shoes off, presumably so that his footsteps would not make any noise as he and another man ran down the cobbled streets. Very smart. Then about 30 seconds later a moped came hurtling down the same narrow street, surprising and smashing through both of them, because it is, of course, a law of cinema that if you can't see something then you can't hear it either.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Creature posted:

The moped had removed its shoes as well.

Falsehood- Clooney then gets onto the moped (without his shoes!) and drives off, and the mped is still really noisy!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

CratSock posted:

Computers are often horribly, cringingly misused in movies and TV, but probably the most common is a version of...

- protagonist examining grainy low res surveilance photo
- "Zoom in. Can you clean up that image?"
- Beep boop, cheap pixelation effect, and voila! A perfect image of someone's face!
- "That's the best I can do"

Hacking was lampooned wonderfully in the last Transformers movie, with Dutch (played by THE GUY FROM FIREFLY!) remarking how difficult 128 bit encryption is to crack... but not for him! One click and he's broken through. Not even an attempt at an explanation, and that's why it worked so well.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

That is almost painful to watch without the laugh track...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Millions of Crows posted:

Any screenwriter/film-maker who puts a scene in their film where the protagonist beats down a villain or monster or whatever with melee weapon, then turns away and drops the weapon while the obviously not dead bad guy gets up and does more bad guy poo poo should be castrated with a hacksaw and left in the wilderness to die*. I am totally serious about this.

I don't mind too much when the good guy does this, as often there's a reason for it, like their moral compass. What's truly stupid is when it's the bad guys that do this. You can watch pretty much any actiony movie and at some point the bad guys will have the good guys captured, and if they'd just execute them then and there, their entire scheme will surely succeed.

Of course this has been mocked pretty thoroughly in Austin Powers but it's amazing how often this still happens.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Action Tortoise posted:

Shameless on Showtime had a scene where the younger Gallagher kids use an Xbox 360 and are supposedly playing Gears of War. I can't remember seeing the screen or hearing the sounds but Debbie clearly yells, "Die, Locusts!"

At least they knew what to call the enemies.

In Olympus has Fallen when the kid is told to stop playing his game by the secret service agent, who switches the TV off directly, and you can see that he actually hits the central home button on the pad that would pause the game he was playing, as if he hopes to continue playing from the same point later. We've come a long way- a few years ago he'd have moaned how he was nearly on level 5 and an 80s sound effect would have played.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Falukorv posted:

"Leap Year" mangles British Isles geography really bad. Aside from not actually depicting some of the real awesome landmarks they are supposed to represent, the route the main character has to travel to get to her final destination (Dublin) is all over the place. Basically she has to get to Dublin to meet her fiance but there's a storm so her flight gets diverted to Cardiff (why?) and she needs to find an alternative route. And i mean really alternative.

While in Cardiff she hires a fishing boat to take her to Cork, but the storm is so strong they end up porting in bleeping Dingle (which means they would pass by Cork, and then some, on the rough atlantic side).
Dublin itself is considerably closer than Dingle and almost as close as Cork. From there she has to find her way to Dublin from Dingle by land. I also remember one of the shots of Dingle clearly being the old iron age fort at Inishmore, which is an island off Galway, and another shot of the Cliffs of Moher, also not in Dingle.

Ooops Irish trains don't run on sundays (they do, actually) so she enlists the help of a local irishman that agrees to drive her to Dublin (for a price). He could have just driven her to nearby Tralee where there are busses and trains to Dublin, but the plot demands a road trip so the odd couple can fall in love.

Anyway they drive for a bit around the Dingle peninsula (which show shots of Connemara), their car is destroyed so they have to walk. Somehow manage to reach Tipperary on foot where they find a small train station. In the film it's a short hike, in reality that walk would take them probably more than a day. And the station is situated right next to a large hill with an CGI castle on top of it. Some plot poo poo and awful Irish stereotypes happens and then they finally get on a bus to Dublin.

Those were the irritating geography bits, it's also ridden with bad Irish stereotypes that would make you think they time travelled to the 1950's, and the standard romcom cliches.

Out of interest, how do you know all this? I saw the last 5 minutes of it while I was waiting for something else to start on the TV channel, and it was absolutely insufferable and terrible- but then I knew that it must be when I read the blurb for the film. How did you get through the entire film..?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The Three Musketeers from a couple of years ago seems like a truly terrble movie, but what's stood out for me was that the Cardinal is playing chess with the King; the Cardinal puts the King in check and then suggests the King castles out of the position. I can't work out if this is because the people involved in the movie know next to nothing about chess, or whether they're making a subtle comment that the Cardinal is willing to allow his King to cheat so long as they get to still play together.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The 90's 3 Musketeers was pretty bad. No one noticed Cardinal Tim Curry and his assasin having sniper practice with a portrait of the King in the middle of a giant public square?

Haven't seen that one but Tim Curry playing a potentially moustache-twirling cardinal sounds like it could be a good waste of a couple of hours.

For the second half of the later movie, I was amazed at the depth of stupidity of the plot. It sounded like the Musketeers were going to London to recapture the diamonds and prevent a war with England. Yet to do so they literally attacked a major stronghold in the capital, and stole a major piece of military hardware. If stolen diamonds were going to incite a war, then how is that going to save the peace? The movie did acknowledge at the end though, with the powerful English fleet about to arrive in France while the French heroes party with the king. Stupid film, but I think it realises it at least.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That man knows his audience (me).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The only thing that I really dislike about the World War Z/Survival Guide is that the author categorically states that all zombies are essentially identical. No zombie will ever act differently from the rest. If you make a barrier that the zombies can't climb, then you won't get one in a hundred managing to get over it and cause trouble. No zombie will ever partially recognise a former loved one, or randomly pick up an object. They will always walk at the same speed and fall for the same tricks. They will never do anything unexpected. It just makes them samey and boring.

Not that I want them to make human ladders or anything.

dpack_1 posted:

The lovely Statham film "Blitz" is about a cop killer in South London. Through out the whole film he uses a 9mm semi auto pistol to commit said killing.

At the climax, Statham disarms the killer with liberal crowbar use, his colleague picks up the gun, ejects and reinserts the magazine, hands it back to Statham giving him the OK to execute the cop killer.

Cue wide angle footage of the fatal shot and whats that? Statham is now holding a six shot revolver?!

Like seriously? How the gently caress did they mess that up?

Just put this movie on 15 minutes ago before opening this thread, spooky! Luckily I've already seen it and know the ending already, but I'll keep my eye out for gunny.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Taeke posted:

and the general public crowds around like it's some sort of spectator sport, parents with little kids and all.

Does it have the standard bit with a kid that points and exlaims "cool!!!" to his mommy to let the kids in the audience know this they need to get all the toys?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If only 50% of all actors always wore baseball caps to help us distinguish them.

MorgaineDax posted:

Pretty sure I got that beat. First time I saw The Fellowship of the Ring, I did not clue in until the death at the end that Boromir and Aragorn were two different people. :downs:

I was pretty sure there were two Dwarfs in the Fellowship. And I like all that fantasy crap!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
See, that's one area Taken is not irrationally irritating. Buck that trend!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
But... Transformers 4 already had dinosaurs :(

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

W424 posted:

When they use the same stock "machine gun" sound effect for some hyped up super weapon like a minigun. Put some effort into it, in Terminator 2 they layered a loving cannon on Arnold's shotgun with several shotgun blasts.

I've definitely heard the noise of a gun being cocked in an action movie scene with bows and arrows being pointed at someone. Though, I was more irrationally impressed than irritated by it...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In one of the earlier Bumberbatch Sherlock episodes they have a bit where he didn't realise Earth revolves around the Sun, or something ridiculous like that. Was that Sherlock (or the writer) just having a laugh, or an actual thing we're meant to think he thinks?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I know it's standard movie practise that if you can't see it, it's not happening, but I was pretty amazed at the weirdo neighbour's sound-proof curtain in The Watch.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I can't believe people have been discussing the subtext of genitals in Alien/Predator movies. That's the kind of behaviour I expect from the densest posters in the Subtle Movie thread.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In Divergent the Dauntless phyle are preparing to initiate a massive war, but this year is the first that they decide that they will use an excessively harsh ranking system that cuts out over a third of their recruits, no matter how good the lower-ranked ones might actually be. Might just be a fact of the book/film's RPG-city-syndrome though (where there's either as many or as few people around as fits the setting).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

toxicsunset posted:

Movie characters do not say goodbye for the same reason they don't make small talk, are not shown traveling to and from locations unless something occurs during said travel, and are not shown going to the bathroom unless it's plot relevant or a gag: Because it's a waste of time and who loving cares I have 90 to 180 minutes to tell this story I'm not spending time to make conversations sound realistic because realistic conversations are loving boring

The difference is that those things can safely be assumed to happen off-screen if they are necessary. With the end of a phone call that is being shown as part of the story, if it is something that is on the screen, in order to keep the storyline coherent they should include things that would happen on the screen. That is, if a character or scene is meant to be "believable". Also, as conversations might be between two people that are supposed to have some kind of relationship, this should also be reflected. You might as well have the characters not even picking up the phone and just announcing the relevant plot advancement going on like a robot...

I think the only real argument here should be as to whether this is a rational or irrational gripe. I think most British TV/movies manage to include people saying hi and bye, that extra one second is not a showstopper.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Paul Rudd's abs-only physique for Ant-Man actually worked against his characterisation though

Bear in mind he'd just finished a stint in jail, so probably used that time to get some muscle.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I like the example in First Contact, where Picard mows down a ton of Borg - impervious to energy weapons - with an uzi. A holographic uzi, still. Bows and Arrows are super effective battlefield weapons in Avatar, as well.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
But it broke the record for biggest film explosion ever, and isn't that what's truly important?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Zaphod42 posted:

How about this for an Irritating Movie Moment:

Hollywood constantly does this thing where they find out somebody is making a movie so they rush to make the same movie at the same time, I guess to compete or steal their thunder or something. Its a huge dick move.

Antz vs A bug's life, for example. Same exact concept coming out at the same exact time from two different studios.

You see this poo poo constantly. "They're making a sci-fi movie! Lets make one!" "they're making a superhero movie, we should do that too." "Hey, disaster movie? Count us in too!"

The latest Bond and MI films did this as well, and I think I read that MI: Rogue Nation's release was brought forwards so they could get there first. Spy films have been really over-done this year: when I saw Rogue Nation, literally every trailer was for a spy film.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Is "In the Heart of the Sea" a verb now?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Watching Home Alone, near the start of the film after the cabs arrive they show everyone in the house rushing around, then cut to one of the drivers talking to some dumb neighbourhood kid, then they cut back to the family rushing around and use the same clip they already used. Shameful.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My SWTFAIIMM was that the megalaserbeam from the planet was described as being at super hyperspeed but the people on the planet that it was blasting were able to see the laser even though the destructive part of the beam must have been travelling faster than the light it produced.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Esroc posted:

It's been almost 40 years and there are people that still don't realize that Star Wars is fantasy not sci-fi. Just replace lasers with magic missles and aliens with demon monsters. It'll save you a lot of irrational headaches.

I'm fine with Star Wars being entirely magic, the film itself tells us this. I was just giving my irrational moment over to the physics that should still work, although I suppose we could also assume that in the Star Wars universe, the speed of light is a lot faster than it is in ours. Would also help with how quickly people travel between planets. Time is funky in that universe.

I wonder what took longer in-universe at the end of the film, the hyperspace flight to whatever planet that was, or the walk up the steps.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That part about the planet was done badly, and the fact they didn't make a big hoo-ha about Coruscant being blown up was enough to work out that it wasn't Coruscant (yay circular logic!), but it definitely had a name and if you missed it you can check wikipedia. Simply put, it's not important. Just some planet full of billions of people. They went assplode. You're not meant to care about such frivolities like who they were.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I hope that everyone that opened that image read "Son, men don't get raped" in Han Solo's voice as he coached his son.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I watched some Halo CG movie on Netflix today, and I don't know what I was expecting but I didn't think I'd be watching Ender's Game again already.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Don't forget the Oz "labyrinth".

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
After stopping midway through the final season, I finished watching Under the Dome today. Of all the amazingly irritating things in there, I think the best way when they want to induce someone to give birth, they just start pushing the baby out of the swollen belly with their arms, like they're trying to roll out a massive lump of dough with a rolling pin. And it's played completely straight. Or was it awesome? I'm not quite sure. If I ever knock up a woman and need the baby out asap, I'll definitely give it a try.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've been watching Ong Bak 3 on Netflix today and it's got the most egregious fight scenes where the main character will stand around surrounded by a circle of dozens of opponents who all attack him one by one (unless he's pulling off any moves that need him to bounce off one opponent onto another). There's not really any unfocus on the other participants in some of the fights, so you see them just standing there, sometimes twirling around a stick but mostly just patiently waiting their turn. I also like that some fights end as another legion of soldiers charges our hero - presumably they'd heard that they need to get in the queue sooner rather than later.

Also gotta lol at the event that happens 15 minutes before the end.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm pretty rubbish at watching Narcos, all those chaarcters speaking foreign, and I swear the show likes to just invent characters on the spot and show them getting killed (or subject to other major plot advances) straight away, leaving me going "Who the hell was that, again?". At least sometimes the narrator tells you, though.

But because I'm so rubbish and the show seems to be reaching its crescendo, I thought I'd look up some episode guides. One website broke it down fairly easily, but in its recap of season 2 eps 5-6 it included info on ep 7. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Then after 7 and 8 I read another site, which looked really detailed, happy days. So after looking at 7's recap, I pressed the "previous" link in the episode guide, which instead took me to another article which included probably the biggest and most detailed spoiler it's possible to have. Being an historical series it's understandable I know nothing is truly unspoilable and yes I know the show's outcome, but I just don't get why these recappers can't just talk about the episodes they're recapping, especially if we're looking at a couple of paragraphs, you could, just, you know, stick to talking about the subject. While I'm writing about this I'm just going to drop casually into my rant about how in Westworld the lead character dies in episode three, to show how worldly and knowledgeable I am. Not a spoiler: I've not watched Westworld, don't even know who the main chararcter is, and made that up. But that seems to be how people seem to write reviews on the internet these days.

Next up I'm going to print this off, put it in a box and then get people to do unboxing reviews of my rants on the internet. Goldmine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

MisterBibs posted:

Not a movie, but a irrationally irritating podcast situation:

I've discovered (and fell in love) with the podcast The Greatest Generation, a podcast about every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I'm digging it.

.. except that the guys running it don't put the name of the Trek episode in their podcast's title. They use Season Number Episode Number, which is annoying when I'm trying to figure out what episode is covering. Do you know that the episode about the Wormhole where Troi gets seduced is S3EP8? I sure as gently caress don't!

On the other hand, I was watching an old GoT episode the other day and after it ended I wanted to check something about the ep, so I went to the GoT wiki. After negotiating through the hovering ads they display EVERY time you go to a new article (with invisible close buttons as well), I got to the season 3 episode guide. The episodes were listed in alphabetical order. This meant the only way to figure out which episode it was I wanted was by clicking through each one with a bit of guesswork. Very annoying.

Using the episode numbers is Correct. Using the GoT wiki is distinctly incorrect though.