Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Opening scene of Skyfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

It seems like being a fan of comic books ruins any other media related to them. I don't really read any comic books, and I love stuff like Agents of Shield, Arrow, Flash, Daredevil, etc. Aren't different takes on characters and storylines a hallmark of comics?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Here's a very stupid one that got me when I caught the end of 'Batman Begins' on TV last night. During the ending action sequence, Batman has to lend out his Batmobile to Jim Gordon in order to thwart the bad guys. Batman asks him "can you drive stick?" What the hell was his contingency plan if Gordon said no? It's not a terribly common skill to have in the United States, and a vast majority of automobiles here are automatic (unless I'm extremely mistaken, which is very possible).

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

It does a couple of things right, such as showing how effective armour actually is but its pretty obvious the actors barely know how to use a sword. Not that youde use one against an armoured opponent anway. :v:

I was under the impression that the weight of the sword and the force of the swing would cave in plate armor and kill your opponent anyway. It was never really about slicing, right?

Note that most of what I know about medieval combat is from reading folk discussing it casually in various thread derails.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Jesus Christ! I'm sorry my ignorance started this derail. Everyone, please stop.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not good at stopping terrible derails, but here's a really stupid complaint:

I hate the end of Black Sheep when Chris Farley gets his jacket caught in his father's private airplane. Just take the drat jacket off, you doofus. I get that it's supposed to be funny, but he's still hanging off the plane when it gets airborne; does he just die after the camera fades out to credits?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Come on, Dark Matter, the woman playing the role of the character named Five is easily in her mid-twenties, quit trying to say she's a pre-teen :argh:

Yeah, I feel you there. In that same vein, try watching any show broadcast on the CW...

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I had no interest in seeing Prometheus until this thread actually; it sounds delightfully farcical.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Polaron posted:

How many of them are in Indiana?

It's been a long time since I watched that show but I seem to recall a disproportionate amount of demonic/ghostly weirdness happening in Indiana.

No, that sounds accurate. Indiana's weird.

Speaking of Indiana: as a resident, I irrationally hate when shows or movies take place in Indiana. Most times it's obviously California or Vancouver. 'Parks and Recreation' is especially guilty. I get the reasoning behind it. You can't ship all your cast and crew to a flyover state just for realism because that would be stupid for a lot of reasons, but it still gets my goat for whatever reason.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

I think the show or the book had a throwaway line about Pawnee's unusually elaborate city hall almost bankrupting the town (because it's actually Pasadena's).

That must have been in the book, because that's a pretty funny tidbit that I would've remembered from the show. I looked up what city hall they used once (since it looks so drat decadent), and was not surprised to find it was SoCal.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Whatev posted:

Literally everything you liked about Iron Man 2's villain was forced into the movie by Mickey Rourke

That explains why he's all I remember from the move (and Don Cheadle). Granted, I've only seen it once and I was drunk.

edit for content: that reminds me of something stupid that always ticks me off in superhero movies: when a villain could easily be taken down by a police sharpshooter. There's a scene in 'Iron Man 2' where Mickey Rourke is blowing up race cars with an electric whip (not even making this poo poo up), and he's otherwise really non-threatening. He's not wearing a helmet or full armor like Iron Man would. Just shoot him!

'The Flash' TV show is really guilty of this too with Captain Cold and Heatwave.

PizzaProwler has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Mar 25, 2016

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I'll be honest. I never really liked any of the stand-alone Iron Man movies

Same here. Having an unlikable protagonist works sometimes, but not for me in these cases.

My previously mentioned IIMM about Whiplash at the race not being shot is probably most irritating to me because as an American, I just assume at least half of the audience of a racing event would be armed. Just imagine trying to pull that poo poo at Daytona.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

#3 wasn't great, but it had dinosaurs and Sam Neill.

Don't forget the scene where they have to dig through piles of dinosaur poo poo to find a satphone that somehow didn't get disintegrated. That's really all I remember about that movie. Also, I'm pretty sure it's the first time I saw William H. Macy on screen, and I was captivated by his mustache.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

So I caught The Forest on TV this afternoon, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why no one had a GPS or any sort of locating systems. They explained the reason for no compasses, but there are other systems of navigation to use, drat. Doesn't Japan have really good cell coverage? Maybe use Google maps or something. I don't know, they might have explained it in the movie, and I was playing a game on my laptop so I could have missed it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

That was in NCIS, not SVU.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

'Pulp Fiction' is my favorite film ever, but drat Tarantino sucks as a person. Thankfully, I'm apparently the rare person who can easily divorce the artist from the art.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I wish no shows had cold openings so Netflix can safely skip the annoying tedious repetitive bad intro whenever you invariably end up binge watching them

I've been watching Star Trek: Enterprise, and it is very annoying to have to skip that god-awful intro manually every time. I don't normally even skip intros usually, but this one is such a special kind of bad.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Most of this thread is indistinguishable from the worst of the worst TVIV threads. Just mention Star Wars and you get a 5 page derail with people posting their stupid fanfic much like the last several pages of this thread.

I think I've seen you pop up in a number of threads on various boards being a general sour-puss. Maybe get off the forums for a day or two and calm down. The internet makes us stupid.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

The Magicians is a lot of fun for a gritty Harry Potter/Narnia pastiche but the dude who plays Quentin just stands around with his mouth hanging open like a dolt like 99% of the time he's on screen. The rest of the cast is incredible and vivacious and obviously having fun with their roles but the main character is just depressed and confused and awkward and it sucks. The worst part is that sometimes the actor himself doesn't seem awful, which means the directing must have been pretty bad.

It's been years since I read the books, but I seem to remember Quentin being a dolt 99% of the time in that too. To give the performance the benefit of the doubt, I assume it's a case of the actor trying to channel Quentin's innate shittiness.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Time flows like a river, just because you managed to go up or down stream doesn't freeze the rest of the river.

Or something. Whatever.

I hate to be this guy, but:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff...

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

Ted in How I met your mother

e: was that really his name? lol the main character

This was the first one I thought of too. It didn't help that, although Josh Radnor is not a bad actor necessarily, his four other co-stars were insanely good and lit up the screen.

As a character Ted was kind of a wet blanket, so that didn't do him any favors either.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

No, you see, Rush Hour is funny because one guy is all Chinese and poo poo and the other guy's black so it's funny how they have to work together because stereotypes are hilarious. I never got the love for this franchise either. Dumb as poo poo.

I definitely see how someone could have this cynical view of the Rush Hour movies, but I first saw the movie when I was young and I thought Jackie Chan was the poo poo from then on. It's a really good gateway between his Hong Kong material and eventual American career.

You could certainly call them dumb as poo poo, or have a more positive view of their stupidity and simply call them silly.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The best part is when British colonialism saves the day.

I always chuckle at the scene toward the end when the Sepoys show up, and Willie yells something like "Well, it's about time!" It's just so perfectly cheesy and inappropriate.

'Temple of Doom' is my favorite in the series as well, and it irritates me that so many people seem to dislike it so much.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Where the gently caress do you people live that you never get the folding carton one pint Chinese take out box filled with some form of rice? I wasn't even aware that was possible to accomplish.

Northeast Indiana.

We must have a bunch of manufacturing plants nearby that make those rectangular styrofoam boxes because that's all I ever see in/from every restaurant. They're handy though. Easy to stack in the refrigerator.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Has there ever been a movie which was improved by taking a character from a fantastic world and dropping them into 1990s New York?

A decade late, but 'Enchanted' was really good.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I know I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to say that there sure are a lot of wrong opinions about what the best part of The Rocketeer is.

Timothy Dalton's mustache is definitely the best part of the movie.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

This shits me so often in movies and TV shows, especially when the scenes they're flashing back to occurred less than five minutes ago.

That was my biggest dumb gripe with 'Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice' (terrible title, btw) was that we had to watch the Waynes get shot at least three different times over the course of the film. I was fully expecting flashbacks to Uncle Ben getting shot peppered throughout the newest Spider-man film, and was pleasantly surprised that the movie just sort of assumed we all knew the origin story.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

You really don't need to know any more spells than motherfucking Flipendo

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

There was an episode of 'Buffy: the Vampire Slayer' where she was facing some ancient, "invincible" vampire, and her solution was to shoot him with a rocket launcher. It worked.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I dislike movies where a fat stupid guy is responsible for things going bad. Like fat stupid programmer in Jurassic park or fat stupid security guard in Jurassic world. I'm sure there are non Jurassic examples.

More like oldJackBlackless

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

At least Jack Black's characters have a sort of wisdom to them that balances out the buffoonery, like Po's general good nature and emotional stability in Kung Fu Panda, trying to be everyone's friend even the villains of the first two movies - he gives good advice to Lord Shen, he's just ignored, and by the third movie is just kind of sick of the assholes that keep showing up, but generally his father has put him in a sour mood during the second act, so of course he's snippier than usual.

Outside of his early work like Shallow Hal (which is maybe his worst movie for that reason, Hal is just an rear end in a top hat until the curse), They are often fat and stupid in most respects, but in their wheelhouse they are really good at what they do. Po is an excellent chef, tries to be a decent therapist and by the end of the first movie is a competent martial artist, his character in School of Rock has selfish and idiotic motives but is also teaching music fairly well despite that, and Eddie Riggs the roadie in Brutal Legend is an excellent roadie, poor writing involving Ophelia notwithstanding.

Jack Black's characters exude passion in a way that Paul Blart does not. The usual fat idiots save the day by accident, Black's characters tend to do it on purpose due to skills or emotional connections earned throughout the movie.

Preaching to the choir here. I love Jack Black, and was thinking more of his roles in 'Orange County' and 'Saving Silverman' regarding oldpainless' complaint.

Also, I very much wanted to finally get my first bad joke about oldpainless' username. I've never gotten to do one :downs:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Similarly, I watched a movie with someone who majored in film studies, and he would call out the technical names for the camera shots as they happened.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Reminds me of The Force Awakens, in the first half hour they visit about ten different planets, each with the obligatory shot from space and on-screen title. It felt disjointed as hell.

That was 'Rogue One'. 'The Force Awakens' starts on Jakku, goes to the evil space ship briefly, returns to Jakku, and then follows Rey from then on. Not exactly disjointed. 'Rogue One' just jumps around at the beginning, and yeah it's rough as hell.

e: oops, beaten.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Has there ever been a scene in a movie where someone is firing some bigass machine gun and they don't start screaming for no reason? The gun is making scary noises on its own, you screaming doesn't add to it, movie people.

You've never heard of a war cry?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does anyone under 50 still watch actual TV and not streaming?

Yeah, but I'm super, super weird.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

bad guys don't follow traffic rules. Red lights mean nothing, children are worth points on a board, and god help anyone stupid enough to use the sidewalk.

Reminds me of the scene in 'Goldeneye' when Bond is in a tank chasing Gen. Ouromov's town car. Ouromov's car gets up to a plaza with a bunch of pedestrians and he yells to his driver "Use the bumper! That's what it's for!"

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

why would I read posts

So you don't post ignorant poo poo.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

In Smallville they would routinely take field trips from Smallville, Kansas to Metropolis. The gas costs alone would be enormous.

I think Smallville's Metropolis was located in Kansas as well, so only a 2-4 hour drive.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm someone else who still hasn't seen 'Fury Road' because nothing turns me off toward a piece of media more than brigades of goons furiously masturbating over how great (or dare I say :perfect:) it is. It's irrational to do so, but goddamn dial it back a bit.

I'll go ahead and brace myself for the inevitable dog-pile now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

That wouldn't be far off from the weirdness of the whole ordeal.

The no-context summary:
Illegal dentist, public exercise enthusiast, a man too old to live, Russian crime family, a hallway of suitcases, two pictures five minutes apart and a cellphone buried in the yard.

This could make for a good season of 'Fargo'