Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Gorilla Salad posted:

Duke's not dead!

Damned if I can find the clip of it, but the old GI Joe movie killed Duke, but the company changed its mind so there's this hilariously blatant voiceover right at the end with someone shouting "Duke's woken up and he's gonna be okay!"

To add to this trend, an episode of Justice League: Unlimited has Lex Luthor hack the Watchtower's orbital laser weapon and blow up a secret government facility in a city with the force of a small nuke. We later see the Flash and others helping survivors from ruined builidngs, one of which is leaning against another building. Flash radios the League and informs them that there have been no casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
When I was a kid my mind was loving blown by the episode of Sailor Moon where Neflite/Nephrite dies after trying to go straight. He gets his shoulder impaled by a monster's thorn vine spears, the monster team is defeated, he suffers a while, and dies. Molly/Naru cries. End of episode. They turn his blood green, but otherwise he's still battered and bloody, and it's pretty gruesome. May more so than anything like Tien's arm getting bloodlessly punched off in Dragonball Z after the censoring.

For actual thread content I guess it's irritating that they changed all the names to English ones despite still setting it in Tokyo. One bad guy had a gay partner that they changed to a woman in the dub. They also changed Sailors Neptune and Uranus from girlfriends to cousins. Cousins who flirted with each other. A lot.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Jun 2, 2015

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Guardians of the Galaxy's sequel hints were also pretty awkwardly shoehorned in, especially if you aren't familiar with the Marvel Universe. They could have just had Rhonan searching for the stone in order to destroy Xandar or impose his will on the universe. But instead he's working for another guy who doesn't do anything except make a threat he doesn't follow up on because Rhonan's dead at the end. Unless you know that they're building up to a universe-shattering megacrossover based on an one of Marvel's most popular miniseries.

I also think Thanos should have threatened Loki directly in the first Avengers, instead of his servant, so people less familiar who didn't stay to the end would have a slightly less difficult time understanding that this guy was a universal threat.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jun 12, 2015

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Reign Over Me very deliberately had Adam Sandler play Shadow of the Colossus a lot, because it actually fit thematically. Both the game and the movie dealt with coping with death of a loved one.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Krinkle posted:

I hate any vampire movie after blade where they decided fangs aren't scary, cgi tall mouths are scary, so every vampire opens their mouth and their jaw drops a full foot making them look like count loving chocula, a goddamn cartoon, and deflating the tension.

The first instance of CGI tallmouth that I'm aware of happened in The Mummy with Brendan Frasier. The mummy does it whenever he sucks the life force from someone or yells in his scary monster voice. His is jaw is hanging unevenly with tattered flesh, so it looked okay. The mummy regenerates throughout the movie, and the mouth is the last thing to be restored. At the end, he's fully regenerated, and right before they read the incantation that de-powers him, he starts to do the tallmouth and it's goofy as hell.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

AFewBricksShy posted:

Neither was Indy. Did you see the movies?

The line "Nazis, I hate these guys" always bugged me. I mean, Nazis are just the loving worst, but it sounds like someone talking about a particularly annoying video game enemy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Doof Warrior's purpose is to keep the War Boys fired up or to set a pace, like the drummer in the American Revolution right? But in the scene where they introduce him and in the final battle, the Doof Wagon is near the front of the convoy and its speakers are pointed directly forward.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Queen Combat posted:

What the gently caress, this is true for some reason

Yep, Suicide Squad won the Oscar for best makeup and hairstyling.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Push El Burrito posted:

Samwise hosed up a giant god damned spider no way something that ain't even half the size of a warg would kill him.

Seeing how quickly the monsters slaughtered the armed soldiers, its hard to imagine the circumstances that lead to them only injuring a guy without finishing him off.

Also, "now-memories." Ugh. Just call them visions.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
On the subject of translated media and copyright silliness, the characters in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are often named after musicians, bands, albums, or songs. No in-universe reason, they just are. This is obviously a minefield of potential copyright infringement that has lead to some alterations with the anime being dubbed into English.

There are two brothers named Oingo and Boingo, and one of them has a prophetic comic book with "Oingo Boingo Brothers Adventure," written in English on the cover. In the English dub they became Zenyatta and Mondatta (which is a Police album but somehow okay?), but the English text on the comic cover remains. And when they're introduced, another character looks at the comic and reads it aloud as "Zenyatta Mondatta Brothers."

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The talk of Sabrina reminds me of a quote I can't find from Good Omens about Lucifer liking the idea of rebellion, not so much the practice.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The witch/"mortal" thing was a part of all the various Sabrinas. In the 90s sitcom and cartoon, they came from another dimension, and there were gags about the aunts living in historical periods all the way back to Ancient Rome.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Look at who runs today's major corporations and tell me you can't picture them doing that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What if Predators aren’t actually a warrior culture, and the ones doing the hunting trips are the Donald Trump Jr-esque yuppie failsons of their species?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Martha Plimpton and Garret Dillahunt, who played the 40-something-year-old grandparents of the titular baby in Raising Hope, were teen parents, and flashbacks to their early marriage and their son Jimmy's infancy had two teen-looking actors. Eventually I think those actors stopped appearing and they had their "present" actors with wigs and other stuff to make them look younger. And even though those flashbacks were later than the ones with the young actors, they weren't that much later, and that was jarring for me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Kid me thought that it was a bad idea to have the animated sequence so early in Mary Poppins' run time. That's pretty much maximum magic and wonderment, and the rest is downhill.

Same thing with the shapeshifting battle between Merlin and Madame Mim in Sword in the Stone.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
While was watching the Punisher and Daredevil, there's always the nagging detail that these shows take place in a city that was recently invaded by aliens, and that the former show especially tries to avoid referencing that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is part of why Daredevil S1 owns so hard. It's so serious and gritty, it think's it's the Wire, but the whole thing is completely absurd.

The first few episodes are about a corrupt businessman who's been embezzling government money meant for urban regeneration projects after New York got attacked by aliens, and only a blind lawyer trained by ninjas can stop him.

There were at least two underworld figures in the MCU NYC trading in weapons made from salvaged alien military technology, but the biggest, most well-connected mobster of them all doesn't seem interested in it.

Also all those gritty urban New York heroes are never going to meet Spider-Man now that the Netflix shows are cancelled or soon to be.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Krispy Wafer posted:

In the book there’s a big deal made about a supplement the dinosaurs need to survive. So shutting down the supply means they all die. Worst case scenario you can wait them out.

The book was one of those occasions where the movie is better. I like grandpa Hammond more than rear end in a top hat Hammond.

Yeah, I'd think starting a project to bring dinosaurs back would require a sense of childlike wonder that your standard profit-motivated businessman lacks. Or is book Hammon financing someone else's impossible dream?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I like the idea of some idiot executive thinking velociraptor is a better name than deinonychus, but the larger dinosaurs would make for better attractions. And what's with the feathers?! Get rid of them. Dinosaurs aren't supposed to look like that.

A lot of people get into a Cinema Sins-style huff when some government, military, or corporate entity comes up with an illogical plan that blows up in their face, but we live in the world of the Libya intervention, the Iraq War, Iran-Contra, and MKUltra.
I did know if this was the intention, but Amanda Waller being an idiot rear end in a top hat who ruins everything and murders two loyal subordinates because she thinks pointless cruelty is the same as pragmatism is way more appropriate than her being a badass mastermind who gets poo poo done. Same with executives who think a laser pointer that guides a raptor to maul a guy is better than a gun.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Previews for Wall E showed a scene of the captain being angry and someone who sounded nothing like his VA saying “Stop that robot!” dubbed over it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why do movie companies feel the need to show me everything that is exciting in the trailer? Save something for the film god damnit.

I saw the trailer to Hellboy yesterday and after it was done I could have sworn I had just experienced every major plotpoint in the movie. Hell, I almost had the exact same experience when the new Spider-Man trailer played immediately after...

I think every action beat of the big car chase in Ant Man & the Wasp was made it into the trailers.

Conversely, I thought it as cool that they never spoiled Dr Octopus' unexpected appearance in Into the Spider-verse.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Punisher also attempts to deal with the excesses of the War on Terror and American intelligence agencies and the military, and there’s no mention of the fact that those were recently revealed to be thoroughly infiltrated by HYDRA, a cult of super-science Nazis.

Which is kind of good because then you can’t just pass the blame to then, but on the other hand, cmon.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Mar 9, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The season of Lucifer that I watched had a season-long plotline about God's wife escaped from Hell.

I think at least one of the human characters knew about all the supernatural stuff at that point. And while having characters act like lore nerds may not make for good television, but how do you not just stop what you're doing, sit Lucifer down, and demand that he explain what that means, if and how Jesus fits into all this, what parts of the Bible are and are not true, and the history of the universe in general.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Spice Girls movie had a scene where aliens come down from space and ask for the Girls' autographs.

Kid me was vaguely offended that aliens, which are cool, would be debased for the benefit of a lame girl thing.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The manga/anime Hunter X Hunter takes place on a wacky fantasy world, but at one point a character explicitly references Judas selling out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Bronn was the guy who fought the knight in the Eyrie.

Though the same Dothraki to whom Jorah explained armor-piercing swords later fought him, and he got owned when his curved, slicing sword caught on Jorah’s armor. Callbacks!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Giant Mechanical Spider Executive was a recurring figure in one or more Cracked listicles, and he finally got his wish in Wild Wild West.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
For an actually irrationally irritating thing about Endgame.

I hate to do DBZ power level lawyering, because Power Levels Are Stupid, but I can’t help by irritated that regular Past Thanos gave Iron Man, Thor, and Mjollnir-wielding Cap’n so much trouble, given how we saw several Avengers stand up to Thanos with some of the Stones in the previous movie.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
How they portrayed stuff Sansa did during the siege of Winterfell is bugging me more than anything in that episode. She's in the crypts with all the women and old people. Zombies come out, they start killing people, and then... they just kind of keep doing it until the siege ends and they drop. During the middle of this, Sansa hides for a while, shares a moment of Tyrion, and makes a dash to an area where all the other named characters are huddling. The area isn't hidden and none of them are armed. And the zombies just don't notice because they're chasing down other people. Sansa has a knife on her, but never uses it. Such a weird waste of a subplot.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Len posted:

So I just saw Endgame and uh...

I don't know if it's Marvel fatigue or what but I was not a fan. Maybe because I went in expecting 3 hours of superhero punchfest and instead got a heist movie that wasn't even a fun heist movie.

I was disappointed we didn't get any of the psychedelic battle of the gods from the comics, or an even dumber space rear end in a top hat briefly getting control of the gauntlet and messing it up and redoing it. The final fight was just kind of a bigger rehash of the previous fights.

And I dislike Thanos' plan not because it's illogical, but because wanting to become God so you can get the Grim Reaper to be your goth GF is hilarious and awesome.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mu Zeta posted:

Also why did Thanos force Peter Dinklage to use some magic to create the gauntlet when apparently Iron Man can create one in his basement no problemo.

Tony Stark's knock-off non-magic gauntlet seemed to be worse at channeling the stones' energy and hosed up everyone who tried to use it, and the quickly-improvised nano-gauntlet killed him.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

muscles like this! posted:

More of a generic complaint but chase scenes where the chaser seems to have psychic powers to know exactly where the person they're chasing is at all times.

Also the person being chased never seems to hide or try to blend in with a crowd.

Firebreather, a CGI Cartoon Network made for TV movie or pilot that never got picked up, had a sequence where the main character, starting to manifest his dragon powers, wants no trouble when the popular jock bullies mess with him and effortlessly parkours away from them. There are several shots where he leaves them in the dust and keeps going, and then the next shot has the bullies still about the same distance from him as before.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In the ASOIAF books, dragonglass, which is an in-universe colloquialism for obsidian, is the only thing shown that can kill White Walkers. They have an aura of cold that shatters regular swords. Book people wondered if Valyrian steel, an alloy whose secrets were long lost but were rumored to involve magic and dragon fire, would also work. The show went on to show that it does. It stands to reason that dragons, who are big and firey and tied to the presence of magic in the world, probably would do pretty well against them too.

Then in the battle of Winterfel, the Night King completely no-sells being bathed in a dragon's fire. Is he tougher than regular White Walkers? Maybe, but getting shanked in the kidney by a Valyrian steel dagger kills him instantly all the same. So does that dagger have more fire magic than a Dragon? Are dragons more mundane than we were lead to believe? Is dragon glass regular obsidian or is it a magic-infused variety? What is going on?!

I'm going to put this under irrationally irritating because I know going into the series that its magic is mysterious and surprising, more akin to miracles. Even the people who delve deep into it are continually mystified. No one has a complete picture of what's going on. Something big is behind the magic of the fire god R'hillor, but that doesn't explain all stuff the Greenseers can do. But I still want to rules lawyer the White Walkers.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
More Endgame

The main reason they needed to return the stones was that Strange used the Time Stone to stop Dormammu. That was the one movie where the stone solves a problem and also didn’t cause it in the first place. Returning the rest just tidies things up.

Loki escaping could have been a huge problem, and Captain America revealing to the HYDRA moles he knows their secret would cause huge problems for past-Captain, but the former solves the latter when alt-Captain mistakes future-Captain for Loki and radios it in.

I think the change they made that is most likely to have disastrous consequences is whether alt-Peter Quill still defeats Ego without meeting Gamora, thus getting locked up with the rest of the Guardians, thus going through the necessary character development. Less urgent is Ronan continuing to run around killing people without being killed in a big final confrontation.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In Spider-Man: Homecoming, the spider suit Tony Stark built for Peter has some kind of lethal mode. Peter immediately deactivates it because of course he'd never want to kill someone. I was expecting it to come back, not to kill someone, but to be cleverly used to solve a problem non-lethally. But it doesn’t, so we never find out what exactly it does. It gave me some kind of Chekov's Gun's blue balls.

Related moment in Endgame: He uses it, but it involves stabbing aliens with his robo-spider legs, which the previous suit didn't have, so we still don’t know what it is.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:01 on May 10, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Aleph Null posted:

Endgame:

Just saw it this weekend. If Steve Rogers went back to 1947 or whenever to create an alternate timeline where he had a life with Peggy, doesn't that mean that another Steve Rogers also frozen in the ice? What happened to that guy? Also, did he let his wife's super-spy organization be infiltrated by HYDRA? Did he rescue Bucky from the Soviet mind control prison? Did he help boost the US space program so we'd be better prepared for the invasion of New York? Is he the reason Agents of SHIELD got renewed for seasons 6 and 7?

He said, "no, I don't think I will" and that's supposed to be good enough.

I think the MCU works on Dragonball Z rules where changing the timeline creates a new branch, but you can travel to another branch that’s “in progress” and fool around in it without causing yet another branch. So since they were careful not to meet each other or anything, there’s just one timeline which saw several different time travelers showing up and jacking the gems and Mjollnir, Captain America quickly and stealthily returning them, and Thanos leaving never to return without diverging timelines where only some of the stones were returned.

It also seems that they wanted it so that you can have a closed loop if you’re really sneaky and careful about it. Cap could just live with Peggy Carter on the down-low for half a century and have her be really cagey to his “present” self about who her husband is. But then there’s the matter of how he went from the diverging timeline and then back into the main one without going back through the recall portal.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 01:55 on May 14, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Aleph Null posted:

They saved the multiverse reveal for the Spider-Man Far From Home Trailer.

Of course there is a huge chance that Mysterio is massively bullshitting about that, as he is wont to do.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
GoT finale:

"Let's negotiate the fate of the prisoners."
"Who's going to be the king we negotiate with? Ideas for a new system of government, go!
*two joke suggestions*
May I, one of the prisoners, suggest Bran because he's got the magic brain. Any objections?
Ayes all around.
"Okay, but the North is still independent.
I see no problem. Any objections? No? Alright! Bing bang boom no debate, intrigue, or politicking constitutional convention over!"

Also lol at a sleazy sellsword getting to control both the breadbasket and treasury of the entire continent as a years-long winter starts, all because he threatened a guy in a scene that was sort of played for laughs..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Jedit posted:

GoT:

I got the impression that it had only been a few months since Dany was killed. However, I think it is possible that the elongated winters of Westeros were a symptom of the White Walkers existing in the same way that magic only really started working when the dragons returned - Ice and Fire. With the Night King destroyed, the seasonal cycle returned to normal and so three months later it's spring again.

Of course, that's mainly speculation because the writers didn't leave themselves enough time to explain it.

I’m okay with winter ending much, much earlier than predicted due to the magic and symbolism the world runs on, but someone should have announced it IMO. When winter came, didn’t the maesters of the Citadel send out special ravens to everywhere to announce it?