Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

The Thing:

If you accept the prequel as canon, and I do because I think it's a good movie, the Childs must be a human at the end because he still has an earring.

Kurt Russell might be infected but the movie gives no indication of it at all.

Man, if it weren't for the bad CG laid on top of great puppet work and the silly title, I think the Thing prequel would have been received very well.

Hey, but the plus side to that title is that the Thing video game, which John Carpenter considers canon, is also called The Thing, which makes the full trilogy The Thing, The Thing, and then The Thing.

Also, yeah, the 2010 Thing was a pretty solid movie except for those weak-rear end CG effects replacing awesome practical effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Watching Inside Out made me like Frozen a lot less in hind-sight.

In Inside Out, the conflict is Riley's emotions being thrown out of balance when her family moves to another state. Everyone in Riley's head want's to do the best for Riley, and Riley's Joy comes to realise that she needs to work with Riley's Sadness and not reject her. There's a conflict but there's no villain.

In Frozen, Queen Elsa throws herself into icy exile and the conflict involves her sister Anna trying to talk her out of it. So why do need a bad guy show up in Act 3 to get the balls rolling? Unlike most Disney villains Hans doesn't get his own song, isn't especially powerful, and is pretty much divorced from the real conflict. Barely anyone knows him all that well and he scarcely does anything in middle act. He can't help but feel disposable.

What other films suffer from having a completely redundant villain?

To be fair, I think part of the whole purpose of Hans was to go against the typical Disney/fairy tale story trope of having the princess find a perfect guy and fall magically in love with him instantly; having him turn out to be the villain highlights what bullshit "love at first sight" is in movies, and that the bond between the sisters trumps whatever they have going on with guys.

Basically, Uteruses before Duderuses.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I've always wondered about about sexual assault on the Hogwarts campus. Any place that mixes 14-17 year old boys, "love potions" and memory erasing spells would be rape central. Does Hogwarts do what most colleges in these cases do and just cover everything up? Do they tell the girls " It was your own fault for not practicing your Legumitilitis or not having your anti rape patroneus summoned"?

Could you just make a polyp juice potion of a girl's boyfriend, knock him out, drink the potion and then just bang his girlfriend all day with her being none the wiser? It worked in Revenge of the Nerds.

What a dark and creepy thing to always wonder about.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

God Hole posted:

my irrationally irritating moment is that the first film ends with a murder that is never addressed in the subsequent films by a man who supposedly understands time enough to build a machine that can navigate freely through it.

marty returns to his time and doesn't recognize anything about his life, because he's from another timeline. basically one night a Marty that lived in a relatively well-off and stable family with an angry caretaker who once tried to rape the matriarch went to bed and then never woke up again, subsumed by an invader Marty from another timeline.

We see Rich Marty get into a time machine when Poor Marty arrives, presumably off to have his own time travel adventure. I've always assumed he either ended up in another alternate timeline, creating a domino effect where one Marty keeps arriving in another Marty's life, or Rich Marty, Poor Marty faded together when the time lines corrected themselves, in much the same way that Marty was fading away in '55 when he was in danger of not being born.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But for some reason we're supposed to like Logan.

He's the "bad boy" with a heart of gold.

No, he's just like all the rest except he only bought the date rape drug to the party and did body shots off her after she was drugged. And drugged her boyfriend Duncan after he tried to help her.

But he didn't mean it in a bad way!

EDIT: going back over plot synopses and, goddamn, was Logan a massive piece of poo poo. The more I read, the less I like his character, and I didn't like him a lot to start with.

Yeah, Logan sucked hard. The actor gave an interesting performance in that you really saw how wounded and self-destructive Logan was, but at the same time the character was also a whiny, privileged shithead kid from moment one. I think the main reason he and Veronica became the OTP on the show was that the love story between her and Duncan fizzled so hard because that dude had zero chemistry with anyone.

And season 3 brought in Chris Lowell to try to have another potential love interest for Veronica and went on to mad underutilize him on the show/in the movie. That guy's loving fantastic on GLOW.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Antioch posted:

Andy Samberg claims he forgot what he did for a living, which means he's been in the loop for a long long time.

He may have been lying about that part. Throughout the course of the movie he said jack-poo poo about what his life was like outside of the loop because I think he'd been in it for so long that he felt completely disconnected from his old life.

Antioch posted:

Last bit when JK Simmons finds Andy Samberg after Andy and mom from HIMYM escape. How does all that work? I guess there's just an expectation that people would still exist in the loop but it was weird that it was Samberg's character with no memory.

I figured that JK was interacting with a Niles from a different timeline in much the same way that Niles and Cristin Milioti (sp?) interacted with a fresh timeline's worth of people every day.

Antioch posted:

I want to know more about how the lady figured out explosions in the cave would break the loop. That whole bit just seemed sort of tacked on.

They could have gone into more detail about that, but given that she studied way more physics than me I was down for her to basically be like "I figured it out because I know a fuckton about physics now."

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Why the gently caress does Emperor Palpatine keep thinking Force Lightning is a good idea? He's 3/3 on frying himself at the end of a trilogy, like he just cannot stop himself from using it and subsequently roasting his own rear end.

I can just see him in Force Bad Guy Hell, sliding in like Kramer:

Palpatine: Guess what bitches? I just got a body again!

Count Dooku: So what? You're probably just going to electrocute yourself with Force Lightning again

Palpatine: I am not!

Ron Howard Narrator: He did.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

The flesh is nanobytes in the liquid metal? I'm honestly shocked I never had that realisation before, especially since this got discussed ages ago when sometime asked why skynet didn't send a nuke wrapped in flesh like a giant death testicle through time.

Skynet tends to be a little on the cautious side when it comes to loving up the timeline, or at least acts like it's trying to be cautious. If it fucks up the past too much, it'll create a situation where it doesn't come into being and then we've got a

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DrearyRealisticBlackmamba-mobile.mp4

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Inside Out was okay. I remember mostly wondering why Fear and Anger were male, but everyone else's internal people were the same gender as their person.

Disgust didn't really make much sense for a main emotion either? I can get Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, but the adult people should have had more complex emotions? Instead of Sadness, maybe Empathy?

IIMM: motherfucking narration. Very rarely does it make a story better.

I would guess they based the emotions on Ekman's universal facial expressions, the six emotional expressions found to be nigh-universal cross-culturally: happy, sad, angry, fear, surprise, an disgust/contempt. Seems like Pixar put Surprise and Fear together as one entity, which makes sense.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress, Avatar is so goddamn good and that movie makes me seethe.

I'm sorry, this is the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread, not the Completely Rationally Irritating Movie Moments Thread: Shyamalan How loving Could You

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I'm one of the weirdos that actually really likes IM3. The main criticism I see a lot is that the final fight is just a huge, flashy mess where Tony (Marvel) is showing off all his cool toys.
When really it's less tense and more cathartic because he called in the whole squad hoping that they'd mostly get destroyed since he poured way too much time in to them at the cost of the rest of his life.

Yeah I know this is obvious to some but professional reviewers really missed that point because they wanted to deride a movie just because it was based on a comic character.

Iron Man 3 has its flaws, but it's also a really good on-screen depiction of PTSD, which is great because there are too few pieces of media doing even half-assed jobs in depicting mental health issues. When they do, it helps people open up about their suffering & seek help because it helps empower them to have a reference point for what they (or their loved ones) are going through while also making them feel not so alone.

Wandavision does a similarly good job about grief in creating an atmosphere where that's something which can be spoken about more freely and with greater understanding.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Was Stay-Puft a ghost?

Stay-Puft was a shapeshifting interdimensional being worshipped by some as a god

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Stay-Puft Marshmallow man was Gozer taking a physical form. It was destroyed by crossing the streams of the proton packs & reversing the flow of the gateway. In fact you could see the proton packs by themselves couldn't stop it.

Could they've nuked the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man? Sure, but that would also destroy New York City.

^^What they said

Baba Yaga Fanboy has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Mar 20, 2021

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Biplane posted:

Am I supposed to be cheering for the antagonists in captain america and the winter soldier? What the gently caress

I certainly think so. They're interesting in that you've got John Walker who's way too psyched to be Cap without thinking too hard about what that means, and you've got Carly who is fighting a good fight but going about it in increasingly violent and radicalized ways. In effect, Walker's doing the right thing for the wrong reason, while Carly's doing the wrong thing but for the right reason.

Edit: poo poo, I just realized you wrote "Captain America and the Winter Soldier" not "Falcon and the Winter Soldier"

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, I know it's been mentioned before but Ock taking Peter's punches is frustrating because all you have to do is have the sentient arms block them. The solution is right there. The arms are already shown defending Otto on their own and acting independent of each other.

The arms blocking the punches makes total sense. My headcanon for moments like that in a superhero flick, though, is that Spider-Man (or whomever else with super strength) is holding back. If you're strong enough to lift a car above your head, you've gotta be real careful to make sure a punch is knockout-strength, not head-off-strength. Otherwise we get Infinite Crisis Superboy Prime casually taking someone's head off.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Here's one for Space Jam 2: WHY THE gently caress IS THE SONG SPACE JAM NOT IN THE MOVIE?!?!?!?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

You gotta kill him before he transfers his soul into a doll.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Has there ever been anybody, (in real life or in fiction), who willingly goes by {name} the third who wasn't a total and complete fuckwit?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Spaceballs is such an... odd film. It's a Star Wars parody that came out at a weird time- 1987, years after Return of the Jedi. It has no love of the source material or special insight into it, and Bill Pullman is just a big-rear end dud of a main character. For me, the only stuff about that flick that works at all involves Rick Moranis.

And speaking of Blazing Saddles, it's the subject of one of my absolute favorite bizarre TV edits. There's a scene in the movie where the sheriff says hi to an old lady, who responds with "Up yours, N-word!"

In the TV edit, she says "Out of my way, N-word!"

:thumbsup:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

It's because of that goddamn movie I am still, to this day, hosed up at the idea that I might accidentally suck up my cord while vacuuming and choke the vacuum.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I would say my irrationally irritating movie moment about the movie Morbius starring Jared Leto as Doctor Michael Morbius is that it's not at least three and a half hours long but that's a perfectly rationally irritating movie moment, so my apologies for misplacing this here

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Edit: she shouldve just invaded his mind to get the info. Apparently her mind powers are stronger than Professor X, you know the most powerful psychic on the planet. So goddamn stupid, that last point.

Not in that universe, he wasn't :science:

Also, for the smartest man in the universe, Reed Richards probably could have come up with a better plan than GRAB HER

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Yeah, honestly the unrealistic thing about zombie movies is how well people handle the zombie apocalypse at large in them. A real zombie scenario would be full of people calling it a liberal hoax, getting bitten to own the libs, etc

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Something that's bugged me for years about Goodfellas.

Who eats dinner at 10.45pm?

On a related note: I've seen so many movies and TV shows where people will agree to meet for dinner at a restaurant at like 8:30. That means you'd actually be eating dinner at like 9! Who does that outside of night shift workers and vampires?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

batman is made out of bats & spiderman is made out of spiders, but what is superman made out of

idgi

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Pinhead, showing up to David Chase's house

IF YOU DO NOT TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO TONY SOPRANO THEN YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

credburn posted:

I thought it was alright. It did a neat job being a reboot and sequel and expanding on ideas from the first that I didn't think felt especially forced, though I know a lot of others sure did (specifically racism, which I keep reading about people saying wasn't a big factor in the original while also acknowledging, Candyman is an incarnation of a guy who was brutally murdered for having an affair with a white girl.) I think it also references or incorporates somehow things from Candyman 2 and 3, which I have not seen and of which I have never heard anything positive.

Hey, side note, I can only think of two black Jason or Michael Meyers-level serial killers, and that's Candyman and that guy from I Know What You Did Last Summer, and both have hooks for hands.

Yeah, the new Candyman has a lot of cool ideas to it, and I felt like it doesn't quite stick the landing in matching the tone or atmosphere of the original, but it's much more thematically consistent. The original Candyman flicks have some mixed messages wrt race. Goddamn did I miss the original's oppressive, choral soundtrack though.

credburn posted:

Hey, side note, I can only think of two black Jason or Michael Meyers-level serial killers, and that's Candyman and that guy from I Know What You Did Last Summer, and both have hooks for hands.

Hate to tell ya, but hooking is about the only thing those dudes have in common.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Halloween: Season of the Witch is the only good or canon Halloween film

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

The Last of Us Episode 3 Why is Bill, the survivalist, capable of laying traps and possessing an entire armor of weapons, standing in the middle of the street to engage in a firefight with a bunch of raiders? I understand he might want to draw fire away from the the house with Frank inside, but you can also accomplish that with a machine gun in the second floor of another building. Great episode otherwise.

Potential explanation: Bill is good at planning things out ahead of time but isn't good at thinking straight in the heat of the moment.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

rydiafan posted:

My favorite is Lanky Kang. He has a funny face.

SO THEY'RE FINALLY HERE
PERFORMING FOR YOU

WE GOTTA LOTTA KANGS
IN THE EM SEE YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I loving love Lackadaisy comic and the new cartoon they have out is amazing.

That said.

That loving said.

I loving hate Rocky more than anyone ever hated Scrappy Doo. It is like that older ogre brother from Onward where he never loving reacts the way a normal person would, and he is so insanely Whacky Maniac Pixie Main Character dude that I spend almost any time he is in focus waiting for him to shut up so we can move the story along.

Seriously, agreed on both counts. He gets a, what, like three minute rambling poetry-reading monologue at the start of the episode, too? Like, come on Tracy Butler, you've had plenty of time to polish any rough edges up. That poo poo does not work in non-comic form. We need a sense of character, stakes, etc. I'm talking elemental storytelling poo poo.

Also, another thing that struck me about the pilot was just how many characters laughed like demons during the shootouts/violence. The whole "laughing violent maniac" trope doesn't really work if you've got four loving characters doing it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's the amazing Laura Linney.

I haven't seen the movie in so long but I remember the scene where she keeps trying to nervously distract Truman from begging to know what the gently caress is going on being really unsettling.

I absolutely love the bit where she tries doing product integration because she's just kind of floundering around. My brother and I have quoted that scene for years when someone's rambling about a topic no one else understands/gives a poo poo about, or when someone's obviously shilling.

"What the hell ya talking about? Who're ya talking to?!"

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Feels like it's gonna flop.

Well, yeah.

That's what happens when fish hit land.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

I'm not sure if self-awareness is the term. I think it's more to do with 1970s Britain having a more rigid hierarchy of class than America, so Basil can simultaneously be a pompous rear end in a top hat while also knowing that regardless of his opinion of himself he is factually outranked by the elite clientele he tries to woo. American takes on that sort of character aren't going to have the same simpering obsequiousness to their betters; there might be the occasional episode where they're trying to suck up to someone in particular, which will inevitably be used to contrast with their usual attitude and behavior, but it's not going to be an ingrained character trait.

I remember Craig Charles talking about one of the many reasons he felt the American Red Dwarf remake just didn't work- the U.S. has got a fuckload of societal problems, but we lack that same kind of hopeless classism that makes for the comedy of Rimmer desperately wanting to be one of the upper-crust posh fuckheads but instead having to throw his lot in with super-schlub Lister.

Cheers is probably the show that comes the closest to touching on this, but it still sometimes depicts class mobility in a way that's not common in older British shows.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Why do the power rangers fight a while before forming the big power rangers guy or pulling out the insta kill sword?

Because it takes time to charge up obviously.

Also, in the first episode of Power Rangers, Zordon warns them to never "escalate a battle," which I guess means "wait until the thing you're fighting is huge and about to destroy buildings instead of just Zording up and stomping its rear end"

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Phy posted:

Nobody tell SSF that they've never heard The Monster Mash, they've only heard a song about The Monster Mash

That's because the original song was deemed "too risque" for most listening audiences.

I give you: Leo Karpatze's The Monster gently caress (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c2RTvP0bEQ

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

A Worrying Warlock posted:

From awhile back, but am catching up on the thread and this reminded me of an IIMM for X-Men: Days of Future Past:

They have the money to license almost any song in the world, and it's all seventies. Yet at no point do they ever play Bowie's Oh! You Pretty Things, which is insane to me. Here you have a song that everybody knows, that came out two years before the year the movie is set in, performed by an artist that looks like he's a mutant himself and you couldn't write a more fitting song for a X-Men film if you tried. Hell, imagine how insane the glam rock scene must have looked in that world!

But nope, still waiting...

I looked this song up based on your post, and I don't recall having ever heard it before in my life

It's also rad as gently caress, so thanks for the recommendation!

Also my IIMM for X-Men DOP is Kitty Pryde getting fuckin' booted out of the storyline

Also Bryan Singer's weird obsession with horrifying, but technically PG-13 deaths (like Colossus/Ice Man getting melted)

Also that Bryan Singer ever had anything to do with the X-Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

What was the movie where the "unrated" cut was an insane version of the movie where like unrelated nude models would walk in front of the screen for no reason?

Maybe Sex Drive?

Yeah. The "unrated" version was great because in the commentary they were like "listen, there are so many unrated DVDs out there that add like one pair of boobs and call it a day. We say bullshit, so we've stuffed this thing with tits and cocks. If this is your first time watching this movie, watch the regular version because this one makes no sense. Enjoy!"