Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How did Ravenswood or whatever that Arkham type place was called have all this equipment specifically designed to imprison Electro? I know he got his suit from lab personnel who were wearing those insulated rubber suits.

But the idea this prison is gonna have a facility and equipment for some electric dude seems awful convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In X men first class it's revealed that a government agency helped to found the X men. But when Trask is talking with congress none of this is mentioned. It's as though they just discovered mutants. They kind of handwave the Cuba incident as well.

In the first timeline of Days of Future Past, the super Sentinels are wiping out mutants. But that means the events of the first Xmen trilogy happened, as well as First Class. This kind of confuses me:

-With no time traveling Wolverine to help Charles, how does he get his mojo back to re-found the X men?

-How is Stryker so young, when in Wolverine Origins he was at least ten years older? How the hell do you get to be a friggin colonel so young?

-How was Mystique still with Magneto when it turned out they had a falling out back in the seventies?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Godzilla explanation:

Godzillas are apex predators like the guy said. But in their heyday, everything lived off radiation. However, when it was abundant, it was part of the food chain. So Godzillas were eating other giant radioactive creatures. Since they had the biggest concentration of radiation, the Mutos would parasitize them.

In the present day, the nukes may have been an easier food source than Godzilla. Godzilla would instinctively try to kill them to prevent them from over breeding (why he didnt eat them, it could have been he "filled up on bread" from getting nuked all those years, and was just pissed off some rival creatures were in his territory.

It could have also been, "dumb humans you leave radioactive stuff it attracts 300' tall roaches sheesh"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Byzantine posted:

Obviously, Godzilla likes us for making tasty radioactive snacks for him, and if the Mutos EMP us back to the stone age, then we can't make any more.

I'd like to think Godzilla sees us like humans see bees-pesky but useful. Godzilla likes the "honey" we store and doesn't deliberately harm us because we are indirectly useful to him and exponentially less of a threat than other monsters. MUTOs are like honey badgers that will maul anything that gets in their way.

The Godzilla movie is like a beekeper waking up to a pair of honey badgers trying to lay a clutch of badger eggs in the nearby beehives and causing a big racket. With badgers, "where there's one there's a hundred" so beekeeper gets his badger killing club and gets to bashing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Star Trek first contact- What was the deal with the Borg Queen? Data is asking her all the questions the audience wants to know and she's all :smug: "Lol you dumb robot I am now going to seduce you into having robosex so you will help me take over the Enterprise."

Then later Picard is like how the gently caress are you still alive and she's all :smug: "You humans and your three dimensions"

I liked the movie but the Borg Queen was dumb and boiled down to some control freak woman Picard jilted years ago having revenge sex with Data. Did some Trekkie write this script?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Irritating Movie Moment: Fury Road was so :black101: it gave Phanatic's buddy a heart attack!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder if these people would have the same attitude if the state accused them of a serious crime and they needed a public defender.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In the Jurassic Park series:

-Why do the eggs look like dinosaur eggs? I thought the lab grown eggs had dino embyos injected in unfertilized ostrich eggs? How would they have gotten the dino egg in the first place in the lab?

In Jurassic world, why did the I-Rex's tracker beep if the thing would have been buried twelve inches into its hide normally?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In Braveheart, during the last climactic battle, Longshanks says, "Arrows cost money, the dead cost nothing" opting to send the Irish conscripts to deal with Wallace and the Scots instead of pelting them with arrows.

But then later, when its clear Wallace is Borked since the other Scottish nobles hightailed it, he tells his Captain to fire arrows at them in spite of hitting his own guys "we have reserves"

Now I get this is supposed to show how ruthless Longshanks is, that he's willing to win decisively no matter the cost, but it bugged me that he makes this issue of how they'll somehow save money by not shooting arrows at the Scots, only to do so later anyway.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Your Gay Uncle posted:

the craziest part of Braveheart is when they try and claim William Wallace fathered a baby with the Princess. Her first child wasn't born for almost 9 years after Wallace was dead.

We don't know for sure if she was. She could've been giving one last burn to Longshanks before he died.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What if you shot a mithril cannonball at a mithril wall :ohdear:

Jet fuel can't melt Mithril beams.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ducttape posted:

The death star trench run has got me bothered on many levels. There is the classic 'why didn't they just dive straight in?', which is usually answered with something about there being too many guns near that port, but that leaves a couple of holes:

1) How would they survive the exit? After 'almost there' guy fires his torpedo, he just pulls right up.
2) When Han Solo comes in at the last minute to save Luke, they are close to the port; why isn't the (much slower and bigger) Millennium Falcon getting torn to shreds?
To add to that,
3) Darth Vader had clearly both locked on to, and started shooting at, Luke significantly before Han Solo showed up
4) The torpedo took x amount of time to travel from the surface of the death star to the core of the death star. In that same amount of time, the slower X-wings and the much slower Falcon were able to get far enough away for this shot:

The gun turrets stopped shooting because Vader and his wingmates were pursuing them. They were probably given orders to hold fire while Vader finished them off.

They mention the torpedo causing a 'chain reaction'. I'm taking that to assume there is explodey stuff going on inside the Death Star before it all went completely kablooey.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In Terminator Genysis John Connor is trying to stop a school bus driven by Sarah Connor. He pulls out the brake line and they clearly show her stomping on the brakes ineffectively and the bus going out of control. Here's the thing:

School buses use air pressure to operate their brakes. Unlike hydraulic brakes, air brakes have springs that force them closed- 'stopped' is their default state, it takes air pressure to pry them open and disengage them. If you tore open the air line on the brakes, they would lose pressure which would cause them to engage, causing the bus to abruptly slow down and stop (but not seize up either).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bird in a Blender posted:

So why aren't all brakes like this? Seems like it would be a good safety feature for every vehicle, or do these take up way more space than hydraulics?

Air brakes have a delay between pressing the brake pedal and having the brakes engage. They also require an air tank to store compressed air which is bulky (size of a water heater on school buses).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
While I loved Mad Max Fury Road there were a few little things that bugged me in the film:

-How did the Warboys catch up with the War Rig so quickly? I get that Corpus tipped his dad off as soon as he saw it going off-route, but by then it had a sizable head start. All the vehicles had to be lowered by lifts, and there were a LOT of them in pursuit. I'm surprised they were able to catch up to the War Rig while it was still in Buzzard territory.

-How did Rictus survive Bigfoot crashing? He was on the back, completely unprotected when Immortan swerved to try to avoid hitting Splendid. Yet later, he apparently dies when the War Rig he's on top of swerves and throws him off. Seemed kind of inconsistent. Hell, they could've had him die in the process of Immortan trying to save one of his wives and replaced him with another Imperator fighting Max at the end and it wouldn't have made much difference near the end of the film.

-Splendid being surprisingly (visibly) un-mangled considering she fell out of a moving vehicle, tumbled through sharp rocks, and was run over by a monster truck.

-Every time the plot dictated, the War Party 'caught up' with the Rig. It happened during the Buzzard Attack, and after the Sandstorm. After the Rig crossed the night bog, that apparently was the only point in which the War Party 'gave up' chasing them, until they decided to sprint for the Citadel.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Inzombiac posted:

Plus, Immorten would have to turn around anyway. I don't remember an explination as to why the war party essentially sets up camp when the rig passes the swamp and Bullet Farmer is killed.
From that point to them crossing the war party again is over a day later.

I'm surpassed Immortan had his whole War Party farting around outside the bog and didn't think to recall at least some of them. They had no idea initially the Rig would double back and wasted a day and a half with the Citadel undefended.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Dr Christmas posted:

The Doof Warrior's purpose is to keep the War Boys fired up or to set a pace, like the drummer in the American Revolution right? But in the scene where they introduce him and in the final battle, the Doof Wagon is near the front of the convoy and its speakers are pointed directly forward.

I'm assuming the Doof Wagon is generally in the middle or rear of the formation. But when the War Rig doubles back, the Doof Wagon inadvertantly ended up being closer. Right before the crash, you can see Warboys scrambling over it to get on the Rig.

The Doof Wagon was also one of the bigger vehicles, and after People Eaters Rig blew up it looked like Joe intended to stop the Rig by sandwiching it between his Gigahorse and the Doof Wagon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Coma the Doof Warrior was a symbol of Immortan Joe's dominance over the wasteland. I mean do you see one of the Buzzard vehicles have some dude with a flamethrower accordian doing a cossack dance? No, because the Buzzards are a weak Beta gang.

The guitar noise was also likely not just a morale boost for the Warboys, but struck fear in their enemies by being an ominous reminder of what was coming.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It was a goddamn FULLY FUNCTIONAL double necked guitar+flamethrower. Quite a badass prop if you ask me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Inzombiac posted:

If Coma was playing some real sick jams, I wouldn't find that terrifying. I'd be like, "Aww yeah those are some sweet jams".
His weird not-music well reflected the chaos of the movie.

He also sang like an angel :3

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lincoln posted:

Finally saw Pacific Rim last night. Eight helicopters would not be able to lift a Jaeger.

Also, at the end: "I can't find a pulse!" No poo poo, Dumbass, you're wearing gloves.

Jaeger's weigh 3000 tons (maybe less) meaning each helo needs to lift only 375 tons at the most.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Light Gun Man posted:

I like to imagine the Bullet Farmer and everyone are also bored as poo poo most days because it's the post-apocalypse so participating in a badass car war probably sounds like a good time.

Bullet farmer literally says "I've come for the torture!". Most of the other goons in Immoratans army would be motivated to bring the wives back to improve their own status (look how giddy Nux gets at the concept of appeasing Immortan Joe). Bullet Farmer on the other hand sees himself as some wasteland Judge Dredd and wants to utterly annihilate her and anyone in the way. Joe actually has to warn him to be careful about the wives.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Something that bugged me in Waterworld:

The Smokers become aware that they are down to 4 feet of oil. According to them, this is only enough for two 'Refuelers' which they will burn through in 3 'Lunars' (months). So what would the Deacon have done if they didn't have the girl?

It sounded like the smokers were on their last legs. 3 more months and the Deacon wouldve earned himself a Klingon promotion.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Saw The Martian today. Overall I really enjoyed it, but some parts bugged me a little:

In the start of the film, there's a dangerous dust storm that forces the crew to evacuate. Their main concern is the MAV tipping over from the wind. In the midst of the storm, Watley suggests they use cables to secure the MAV so they can evacuate in time. It's such a good idea , I'm surprised the thing wasn't anchored down with guy wires the whole time. Think about it: the way the Ares missions worked , the MAV would be waiting on Mars for years before actually being used by a crew. That whole time it would have to endure storms , Marsquakes, and what have you.

The other thing is gravity. Martian gravity would be about a third as strong compared to Earth gravity. I was bummed this wasn't made evident; for instance in a lot of the jury rigging Watley had to do, the fact that a lot of the stuff wouldve been a third as heavy compared on earth could have been a factor. But I guess since he spent a month already in those conditions , martian gravity might have felt 'normal'.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another one about the Martian I just thought about:

Why did the crew immediately head back to Earth after the evacuation? Wasnt the whole reason they left at the time because of the storm? I think their stay was supposed to be for 30 sols and they left like 27 sols in. That would've given them 3 days of orbiting Mars to see if Watley is OK. Their returned mission would've been based on leaving 30 sols in, so why not wait while safely in orbit? At the very least, they could've found a way to...parachute some supplies to the hab? It wouldve been better than finding out when they were a month away from coming back to earth.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mortanis posted:

Andy Weir posted an AMA not long ago, and the crew did indeed wait a few days as I recall - but they had no communication with Mark on the ground as the antenna had been destroyed. NASA didn't pick up on his being alive for a few days either as I recall, until they noticed a rover moved.

Oh I see. I assumed the ground control lady noticed the rover moved before Hermes was originally scheduled to return to earth. Then again, NASA didn't want the rest of the crew to know Watley was alive because they didn't want them risking their lives trying to save Watley. Maybe any possible thing they could have done in Martian orbit wouldve compromised their return trip for one reason or another.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In the Underworld series, do they ever explain why the Vampire lords go into hibernation? They're immortal, so it's not like they're gonna die of old age. Not only do at least two of the three get relegated to being stuffed under the throne room at any given time, but they even seem to have 'gaps' where all three are down there. This seems dumb and gives plot convenient reasons on incompetent underlings getting up to poo poo while the boss is asleep.

They're not only immortal but seem to follow the 'Really old vampires are the strongest' rule so I don't see why they don't all just stay awake all the time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why don't you just stay awake all the time?

Because I'm not a vampire :colbert:

The power to sleep correlation makes sense. They'd probably want to schedule things in such a way that all three don't end up in turbovampiresleep. Even Odin has to take a siesta every now and then, apparently.

Being unable to share power is kind of weird though. Marcus made Victor a vampire in exchange for sharing his loot and influence, and I can't remember anything about the lady Vampire Lord but I'm assuming she's the Yoko Ono of the trio if the other guys can't stand to be awake at the same time as her.

Bill Nighy did make a good huffy vampire grandpa boss though.

Panfilo has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Oct 21, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In Revenge of the Sith Palpatine gets his face all jacked up when the force lighting he shoots at Mace Windu bounces off the lightsaber and back into Palpy's face.

So why didn't Luke get all Ghoulified when Palpatine was zapping the hell out of him at the end of Return of the Jedi?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another bunch of things about Palpatatine that bugged me:

He's shooting force lightning at Mace Windu, in a deadlock, and stops because he's 'too weak' to go on (out of Force Juice or whatever? ) but then when Anakin cuts off Windus hands Palpy suddenly gets a second wind and force lightnings him out the window. Was he just going easy earlier on to get Anakin to betray the Jedi? I wasnt sure how close he was too actually getting killed, its as if he just Dark Jedied the whole scenario since Anakin conveniently arrives at the right time.

If Dookus force lightning didn't work on Obi Wan, why waste his Force Juice on Yoda who can catch the poo poo with his bare hands?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lightsaber trigger discipline!

Another IMM:

Guards. The bad guy is always like "leave us." Palpatine does it in Return of the Jedi, and I'm sure there's a lot of other films that do it too. And in the Star Wars movies, we never see those red guards for Palpatine do anything except leave and get chumped by Yoda.

The whole Yoda vs Palpatine fight was supposed to be the culmination of all the Jedi fights up until that point, but it felt unintentionally comical. Palpatine falling over backwards in his chair, making that creepy O face when force dueling Yoda, etc. Also, even if Yoda managed to kill the Emperor would that really fix anything? Anakin had already turned, the Emperors death would have guaranteed others would wipe out the rest of the Jedi, and vice Emperor horned guy would probably just pick up where the Emperor left off.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think the main thing going on with Yoda is figuring 'too little too late' by confronting the Emperor that late in the game. But he knew he had to do something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Slime posted:

Yoda fighting with a lightsaber was a huge mistake. In the original trilogy, he's essentially the good counterpart of Palpatine. Like Palpatine he's a powerful force user who doesn't use a lightsaber. Palpatine using a lightsaber is just as silly, in the original trilogy he insults it and basically calls it stupid piece of poo poo for idiot jedi. Remember how in the originals Vader was the sith who used a lightsaber, and that was because he was a former jedi. Palpatine was never one of them, so he didn't use a lightsaber.
That's a good comparison. In the background info, Palpatine believed the Sith had evolved beyond the need for lightsabers, but he still used one to mock the Jedi. There's also the issue of lightsabers being able to block force lightning.

There's definitely a big difference between the fights, I agree. Even though Obi Wan was this old Jedi Master, he fought slowly against Vader. Compare this to Yoda or Dooku who in spite of being old as gently caress as well in their time are more agile than Legolas.

What I loved about the new film is that the characters using lightsabers act like they barely know what they're doing, they flail and smash around. Perhaps it's a gradual de evolution of the art- in the days of the Jedi order it's all very ninja like, then during the empire it's slow and calculated, because the only people left have been using lightsabers for 50+ years. Then in TFA virtually nobody even knows what a lightsaber is anymore and aside from kylo Ren they seem to be wielded very crudely; almost nobody living had any formal training.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Did Hedonism-bot ever get a backstory? Best robot

There was some cut line that said his construction was subsidized by Earth Tax Dollars.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't even get why there even needed to be an underclass present in the first place. Wilford implies the one thing the tail enders are good for is 'making kids'. But based on how everything else on the train is so tightly controlled I don't see why you couldn't have some kind of breeding program among the actually productive members of the train. The whole fabricate a revolution to cull down the population just seems inefficient.

How did the train cross oceans? I never got a good look at the map of its path, but it looked like this crazy squiggly mess across the planet. Why is it necessary for a trip around the world to take exactly one year?

Why would the Revolt of the Seven decide to pick the WORST possible place to try to escape, some high altitude steppes in asia? Why not do it somewhere closer to the equator, where the climate is more likely to be slightly less freezing?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I would love nothing more than to have an ant farm where after depriving them all but the tiniest amount of water they devolve into roving gangs of raider ants perched on teeny doof wagons in search of ant guzzoline.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Sorry if this has been mentioned to death already and I'm unaware, but I assumed Stark is siding with the government because he doesn't trust himself more than anything. Since the first Iron Man, it seems like he's perpetually trying to redeem himself, and each time it just makes things worse. And at the same time, anything the UN does sanction means Tony doesn't have to carry the guilt of whatever aftermath results.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So Enchantress tries to tempt suicide squad by showing them what they really want deep down. But captain boomerang doesn't get a flashback! They missed a Chace to show him trying to hurl the Flash into orbit on a giant boomerang!

Also, it seems like the only real requirement for the team was "got my rear end kicked by a meta human ". They seemed like the B-Team. Were any of them cool enough to get into the Legion of Doom?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If the monster in Stranger Things is attracted to blood why isn't it popping up all over the place? Barb cutting her finger was enough and that wasn't all that much blood. No one in this town is on their period? No one cuts their hand chopping vegetables? Jean Ralphio SR. got the everloving poo poo kicked out of him and he was bleeding all over the place, but Mr. Monster didn't show up for him.

The monster can only come into our world within a certain distance of the original portal. All the places the monster attacked were like a half mile from that lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another IMM from Star Trek First Contact is the fact that the Borg were able to stow away on the Enterprise in the first place. Picard mutters that their shields were down, the Borg knew they were doomed, etc. But this whole time Picard of all people knows exactly what the Borg would do in that situation. How were the Borg not detected the moment they beamed aboard? In every other situation where they get boarders they know it.

Why didn't the Borg just beam a bunch of drones down to Bozeman?