Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

EmmyOk posted:

The Wire's opening is unassailable, having a different version of the theme for each season was awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6H9VMobE8o

I agree, but that is probably the worst version of the theme in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I was around the same age as the protagonists when the Harry Potter movies came out and what got me was none of the kids had iPods. Like, a lot of them go back to their muggle homes at summer but none of them brought back a Gameboy or something? Wizards don't seem to have anything more entertaining than chess or books.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Ok, one last Harry Potter gripe. When they go for the feast the food magically appears on the table. Now is that being teleported from the kitchens or could wizards end world hunger but choose not to because of their archaic elitist muggle phobia?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Slime posted:

I think Rowling has mentioned that if us muggles got serious with the wizards we'd utterly demolish them. Like ok, wizards have got a spell that can kill someone. Great. We've got weapons that can do that from hundreds of meters, even a couple of kilometers away. At closer range we can fire death rapidly. We don't have personal flight like brooms, but we sure as hell can transport a shitload of people via big loving planes. They have owls, but we made owls obsolete decades ago. About the only truly impressive thing wizards can do is teleport. Everything else we can pretty much do or outright completely outclass them at.

Could Voldemort deflect a sniper's bullet?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you completely miss the subplot where most wizards are completely ignorant of how muggles do things and get along in life, to the point where most wizards spend half their day going "how do those fuckers bother to even shower without magic? I just don't know! It is a mystery"

The Weasleys love loving with muggle technology but they REALLY don't understand it on a fundamental level. If they're the ones who find muggle poo poo to be kitschy, you have to imagine the rest of the wizards are too busy giving themselves magic blowjobs to care or something.

TLDR: That's not actually a plot hole. Plus when HP first came out, iPods were way too expensive for kids to own.
Course these days parents buy every little kindergartner an iPhone, but that's not how it was a few years back :corsair:

Those things more or less happen, just much much MUCH later in the book series. Thing is GRRM himself is working closely on the show, so its not so much they're loving up the story as it is they're remixing the story.

GRRM made it up as he went along, and now that he sees where the story is actually going (originally it was just 3 books, right?), he realizes there's some better ways to edit it and tell the story. That's not all bad.

That said, book -> show means they HAVE to condense things, so 3 conversations between Varys and Tyrion turn into 1 conversation. But that's not so bad.

Did you miss the part where they have muggle parents? My colleague has a five year old son who could find and watch transformers videos on YouTube before he could read the word 'transformer'. Do you really think at 10 Harry would forget all his comforts from the muggle world?

poo poo, pokemon had just come out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Plus, in Gozilla 2014, the first time army guys encounter him they open fire with conventional rifles but quickly stop when they realize it does nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WujxSM2NmTg (4m12s)

They launch missiles at him later in the film but it just seems to piss him off.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Watch Clash/Wrath of the Titans, that should get rid of the urge for you because it's the best you're gonna get from Hollywood.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

re: Gun cocking chat. I'm sure it's already been posted in this thread, but there's this scene in The Wire (which I'm a huge fan of) where there's a shotgun pumping sound effect desptie the fact the charater clearly has a double barreled shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDjiAm5rzE

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Boardwalk Empire : how is Richard such an amazing shot? He only has one eye, his depth perception is almost non existent.

Not that I know much about marksmanship, but don't people usually close one eye when aiming a rifle anyway?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

What is it about then? The marketing I've seen seems to suggest it's Pinocchio with a robot.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Gotta market to the Transformers crowd

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, it's the one movie I can think of where hearing about tests audiences makes me genuinely happy, because it owns that LL Cool J survives.

They did have the scene where the shark pack ate the Tiger Shark, I thought that was pretty badass. But then they disable the surveillance cameras in their tank and it's another moment where I go "Wait, how would the sharks know what cameras do?"

Or how to turn an oven on. Or even what an oven is?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Kruller posted:

The doctor chick initially survived, yes, but test audiences hated every aspect of her character, which is the correct response a person should have to her. What's funny is Saffron Burrows later played Victoria Hand in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I couldn't figure out why I immediately hated her until I looked her up on IMDB.

Allegedly she wasn't even told that the ending of the movie had changed, her whole death scene is just CGI. She didn't find out until she was sitting at the premiere.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Is that just because most police procedurals follow the same plot every time anyway? Crime -> Clues -> Interview -> Red Herring -> Interview -> Damning Evidence -> Chase -> Arrest -> Quips?

:doink:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Unobtainium

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I felt that all the jokes Ultron made really lessened him as a threat, like he wasn't taking things seriously.

"I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling superheroes!" :argh:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Pidmon posted:

A man quits twitter because it distracts him from his job about writing.

People remember that the word 'feminism' exists and blame 'the sjws' for it.

Some moron made a picture with red text on it compiling a large number of twitter pictures that weren't even pointed at Whedon with an at symbol basically giving really entry level criticisms of the movie so you KNOW that a person who's been doing creative works for decades can't take the slightest bit of negativity.

Some of the tweets were literally "I dislike you" and "eat my entire rear end" and that was enough to make his take his ball and go home? I've seen a lot worse abuse on twitter. A lot.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just watched a fairly bad movie called "Killing Season" with Robert Deniro and John Travolta playing a Serbian guy who is mad about something Deniro did during the war and is trying to kill him. Throughout the course of the movie each of them has the other one completely powerless and ready to kill, but they keep talking and dicking around, giving the other a chance to get the upper hand and escape. This happens like 5 times each. Stop talking, kill the guy. You don't have to get your dramatic monologue in before you do it, just get it over with.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Peebla posted:

She is so goddamn bad. And a very odd looking lady as well. I just read summaries of the seasons I didn't watch. Glad I wasted twenty minutes of my life instead of twenty hours. I really did like the first couple of seasons and I still think it is a pretty cool idea for a show - I wonder if the book is any better.

Where are these synopses? I never saw the last two seasons and they are the only ones I can't find synopses for.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm literally watching the Hobbit pt 3 now and the sword Thorin uses at the end is Legolas' that he throws up to kill an orc.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

de la peche posted:

There is no martial art that actually trains this, it's a fantasy. Either that or all the guys training are eunuchs after their first session. 'MMA' people take 'TMA' people apart specifically because everything is tested against resisting opponents, there is no Super Eye Gouge that you can train, so it's useless.

Allow me to introduce you to Bas Rutten https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mosX7L25HV8

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I hated the part where his daughter was mad at him for leaving her whole life, then when he finally turns up at the end she's like "nah, I've got other family now, why don't you just piss off to that other planet?".

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

kinmik posted:

Some eagle-eyed viewer saw that Max's bloodbag info tattooed on his back said he was 12045 days, so that would make him about 33.

Yeah, I don't think it's the same Max in all the movies, otherwise the world went from the height of civilization to post-apocalytptic feudal era in what, a decade? Less?

How long would it have taken to construct the Citadel to the state we see it in Fury Road, complete with generations of indoctrinated War Boys, fully functional giant plumbing system etc etc? Unless the outback is already like that.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

And if they are sat/standing in a position where you can't get in their line of sight? Or they are in a different room?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Gaunab posted:

My local theater has started packing itself with these christian movies that are taking up multiple theaters and limiting the amount of screenings of other movies. It probably earns them money but it's irritating nonetheless.

Holy poo poo, where the hell do you live?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Nobody posted:

It's been mentioned before in this thread I believe, the creators said it's capable of getting on a plane in order to follow you.

What if you were an astronaut going to the ISS?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

Ultimately though I was just trying to think of a way to avoid re-using that scummy scalpel that he cleans by wiping on his keks of all things. That's not clean!

Given the events immediately following that scene, I think an infection is the least of their worries.

Oh wait, this is the irrational things thread.

My IMM: In Jurassic Park, how does Hammond get into the trailer at the start? The helicopter arrives and Hammond is already pouring champagne before the rotors have even stopped. Was the chopper arriving to pick him up and he'd been hiding in the trailer the whole time? Did he arrive on the chopper and instead of approaching Grant and Sattler just immediately run into the trailer? He's an old man with a cane, how did he get there?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Scientists travel to alien world "oh hey there's oxygen let's take our helmets off"

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Prometheus-chat "We're going a billion miles away!" Yeah, welcome to Saturn :rolleyes:

A more general irritation is when the cast travel somewhere new and happen to turn up at exactly the right spot. In Prometheus they arrive at the planet right where the temples are, the rest of the planet looks like a complete dustbowl but they happened to be in exactly the right place. What are the chances! I know movies would be more boring if our heroes just wandered around but sometimes it feels so contrived. At least in Alien they had a beacon to follow so it made sense they found the ship.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

We have the ability to spot things from space now. It doesn't really bother me that it happens in the future.

If that was so why were they surprised to see the pyramids when they landed?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I always thought it was obvious that it was all in Chuck's head because humans aren't sensitive to EM radiation :shrug:

I am not a doctor however.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Carpenter's The Thing is easily in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, but something that's always bugged me was the scene in which Wilford Brimley examines the symbiotic cells under a microscope and his computer just happens to have graphics prepared to represent the abstract act of the alien cells devouring the dog cells. Not only that, but his computer is loaded with a program that can project worldwide infection rates of a cell entirely unknown to science. In an arctic outpost.

"Projection: If intruder organism reaches civilized areas . . .

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact"

I liked they way 2011's Thing showed them looking in a microscope instead because it makes more sense but I don't think the CGI was there in 1982 because

Aleph Null posted:

For me, it is the final fight. The VFX look so much worse than the rest of the movie.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

Except, unless I'm remembering wrong, there's some sort of 'under-water' sound effect when they look through the microscope. Which doesn't make sense at all, why would the microscope also be enhancing sound?

I don't remember it distinctly but maybe MEW is making sounds with her mouth to add drama. You know, like those shows that add roars to insect fights.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Wild T posted:

The Thing ending interpretation

That movie is one of my all-time favourites and I've seen it dozens of times. I can't believe I've never thought that about the ending but it's pretty awesome and I'm inclined to agree.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

misguided rage posted:

Didn't they go in a human sized door and then the guy stuck inside panic opened the big one to try and escape?

My biggest annoyance with that whole thing is that they have a tracker that can find it anywhere on the island and they still send dudes into the cage to look for it before checking them. Hell, it pisses me off that they went inside at all; either it's escaped and there's no point going in to look, or it's not escaped and your sensors are failing and it's gonna eat someone. There is no scenario where a dude going in there is gonna accomplish anything for you.

My irritation on rewatching JW is that when they think the I-Rex has escaped, for some bizarre reason Claire jumps in her car, alone, and drives halfway back to the command center before bothering to call them to check where the tracking device says it is. Call from the enclosure and don't send dudes in! This whole disaster wold have been averted!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Anosmoman posted:

In zoos you generally also always have two sets of doors. Like you can't just open a door and then suddenly all the lions or penguins are running around mauling people.

misguided rage posted:

Didn't they go in a human sized door and then the guy stuck inside panic opened the big one to try and escape?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Anosmoman posted:

That's not what I mean. There's usually two sets of doors animals have to pass through. You open door 1, go in, close door 1, open door 2, leave, close door 2. That way the elephant can't charge the door when you're trying to bring in a haybale or a truckload of bananas or whatever - or rather it can but it won't get out because there's one more, locked door. In the movie there's one big door between the giant lizard and the public. If Bob the maintenance guy gets the scheduling wrong or opens the wrong door or Chad the intern mashes the wrong buttons in the control room, everybody dies.

Ah right, like a zoo airlock. That makes sense.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh...Now I'll have to watch it again. See if anyone's wearing a wristwatch or something. But I'm still puzzled. Can it replicate clothes and hats and poo poo? Wasn't one guy wearing glasses? Why did it keep those?

I think it's more that it replicates your DNA which isn't going to include things like piercings, tattoos, fillings or scars.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Wild T posted:

The teeth-checking scene was a pretty cool successor to the blood test but I thought the idea was kind of silly from the start.

Yeah, I thought it was a neat take on the test but I actually brush my teeth and don't have any fillings anyway so I guess that means I'm an alien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Johnny Depp as Tonto!