Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CJacobs posted:

I will start us off with an example from any given found-footage movie that has a scene with in-world music: Rarely if ever do I hear the music in the scene be cut with the camera jump cuts and it's a really annoying continuity error!

In the same vein: you know how when there's a song playing over someone driving a car, the movie makers pretend it's on the radio by fading it out when they cut to an external shot then have it get loud again when the driver opens the door? There's a scene like that in Species, but the car being driven is a convertible with the top down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heres Hank posted:

That line stands out so horribly that I wonder if there's any historical context I'm missing or if the writers really thought that insults just mean angrily calling people ordinary household items.

It was quite common to call a drunkard a winesack, the insult being that holding wine inside was the only thing he ever did. It clearly doesn't have the same impact in our modern era of highly nuanced insults like "loving oval office" and "dumb motherfucker", though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I feel like that happened to Spider Man too at one point? His suit gets damaged so he walks into a costume store and realizes the costume was higher quality than what he was already wearing.

On the other hand, there was also The Amazing Bag-Man incident.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Squalitude posted:

I didn't like that they were able to identify every human being through their DNA from afar. Maybe I'm just short-sighted but I simply cannot fathom how it will ever be possible to check DNA without an actual sample from the person being tested.

But you were right behind a skinny guy getting injected with drugs and bombarded with Magic Science Rays that made him grow a foot and gain sixty pounds of muscle in 15 seconds, I take it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Whatev posted:

Magneto powers would be awesome at the gym. You could push yourself way harder if you could use your stupid powers to spot yourself whenever you were failing.

Also you could increase the hindrance on the weights used by nerds and ruin their motivation by convincing them they cannot lift 25 pounds. You'd win every lift competition and earn all the sweaty muscle-man pussy to which you are entitled.

If you had Magneto's powers, the maximum fun at the gym could be achieved with the following steps.

1) Load up a bar with 200kg.

2) Stand facing a wall so nobody can see you from the front.

3) Unzip your trousers as loudly as possible.

4) Start levitating the bar up and down at waist height.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Saw Godzilla last night, and while I did enjoy it on the whole one thing bugged me. Every time a building collapsed, Elizabeth Olsen was in a subway station underneath it.

Also Elizabeth Olsen is from the Uncanny Valley, but that's nothing to do with the movie - and besides, I'd rather see a weird looking person in movies than suffer an endless stream of identikit Barbie dolls. Real life has weird and ugly people, movies irritate me when they don't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I thought the idea of a fear based military was pretty cool, with the at-at being a completely pointless but terrifying weapon. if they just put a few side guns on the thing and a couple underneath it would still be silly but it would make sense in a "holy poo poo that stomping noise is a loving building on legs oh god" type of way.

The prototype AT-ATs we see in Episode III do have wider firing arcs. I think it's just indicative of Palpatine not giving a poo poo about the military for anything more than show. His ultimate plan was always the Death Star.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wild T posted:

House was essentially Scooby Doo, MD.

I thought it was meant to be Sherlock Holmes MD, hence the lead character's name.

My doctor really is called House, and that show annoys the hell out of her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Battleship was a legitimately good, layered, film and I will fight you IRL. :colbert:

No it wasn't. But it was the film it needed to be, and I have no regret about shelling out extra to sit in a D-Box seat because that poo poo is perfect for that movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

The first season of Hannibal had a casual drive from Baltimore to Minnesota.

When it comes to bad geography, nothing is ever going to top Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman land at the White Cliffs of Dover and travel to Nottingham on foot in a day. This would be unbelievable in and of itself, but to make it truly unassailable incompetence they make the trip via Hadrian's Wall.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Esroc posted:

More or less. If I'm remembering it right, the entire reason the perpetual motion engine is on a train is because the motion of the train in an unending loop is part of what keeps it perpetual. And the designer really liked trains. So the same engine couldn't just be hooked up to a bunker and work. It has to keep moving itself to maintain itself.

In other words: Magic.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but in the original albums it's made clear that the Snowpiercer is not capable of running eternally.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pneub posted:

That's a weird plot hole in almost every zombie-related thing. Are they actually eating people? There's millions of fully intact people with one bite on their arm. You'd think they'd get lucky more than once a movie and actually catch and eat some people. John Romero's the only one that seemed to occasionally remember the whole cannibalism angle.

John Romero programmed Doom. You're thinking of George A Romero.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

East Watch by the Sea is the manned Night's Watch castle at the Bay of Ice and holds their fleet. Unlike the Wildlings many of the Night's Watch have sailing expierence and they also have warships, which would be able to devastate any sort of ship the Wildlings could put together. There are rudimentary trading and fishing ships used by the Wildling smugglers that have been able to slip past the Night's Watch but only because they were in small groups. If any flotilla of actual size was detected the Night's Watch would descend on them and destroy them easily. Between the lack of warships, lack of expierence, weather conditions, Night's Watch and the Wights any sort of sea travel would quickly turn into an unmitigated massacre for the Wildlings.

What's stopping them from trying the the other sea route is the Isle of Skaggos, a place Wildlings and Night's Watch tend avoid because of raiders and cannibals. Even Davos, a southron smuggler has heard tales of horror about trying to sail past Skaggos and is terrified of it, so it has a fearsome reputation.

You've got your geography almost completely backwards. Skagos is to the east of Westeros and the Bay of Ice is to the west. The castle at the extreme western end of the wall (Westwatch-by-the-Bridge) is unmanned apart from occasional patrols from the Shadow Tower. The reason wildlings don't sail down the west coast is because they'd have to portage ships through the Skirling Pass then across 80 miles of solid ice to the Bay. The Milkwater River is out because it runs directly past the Shadow Tower - plus, as the name suggests, it's got some powerful rapids and may not even be navigable all the way down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Razorwired posted:

So in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trillian takes Arthur to the kitchen and shows him a neat little gizmo that makes whatever you're craving. Why didn't Arthur just get a cup of tea out of the damned thing?

Three words: "Sirius Cybernetics Corporation".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My irrationally irritating moment is seeing a small gif of a crying cartoon puppy next to "Apocalypse Now".

Why? I mean, OK, the buffalo wasn't actually a pet, but it was killed for real.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Slim Killington posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent but there's a scene in which two characters get stuck floating out in space and it's terrible. I can't even imagine how an entire team of people thought an audience would just suspend that much disbelief, and even then, it's so poorly done and awkward that we cringed for its entire duration. I can't believe it made it off the development table.

I am Groot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

If the X-men were in the same film universe as the Avengers it'd be weird. People hate mutants in the X-men films but they're p cool with super powered people in the Marvel hero films.

In The Ultimates the Wasp is a mutant pretending to be a science enhanced human because if it got out that she was a mutant her public profile would be ruined. It's not weird, they hate mutants because mutants are different. People like sex but hate gays, this is the same.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Slime posted:

Why are these guys with powers acceptable but this other group isn't? It's not like a sex analogy because mutants are literally exactly like the other people with powers. The gay analogy doesn't work because there is literally zero difference between them except for the label of mutant.

So you missed the bit in one of the X-Men movies where Bobby Drake's mother literally says "Have you tried not being a mutant?" This is not subtext.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

That does seem weird though and not like being gay at all. People don't hate people who are born gay but accept people who got turned gay by science, magic, or cosmic space rays. It seems weird that the Fantastic Four are celebrities because Space Rays gave them powers while the X-Men are pariahs. It'd be better for the film universes to stay separate in my opinion.

You're missing the point, I know not how. Powers are not being gay, powers are relationships, emotions and sex. There's no difference in the love and desire that exists between a gay couple and that between a straight couple, and though it's not something I'd ever do I doubt sex with a man feels any different to the equivalent act performed on or by a woman. So why do people hate gays and deem their feelings to be unnatural? Answer: because gays aren't doing it the same way they do.

It's the same with powers. I want to fly, I buy a plane ticket - or if I'm rich, a plane. When Tony Stark wants to fly he puts on his suit, which is just a different kind of flying machine. I can't afford it, but I can understand it and if I had the suit I could do the same. But when someone flies under his own power, that's unnatural.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Here's another for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quill is obsessed with Earth culture. He has a spaceship that he got from Yondu, and he knows where Earth is. Why has he never gone home? For gently caress's sake, he has family who would have been living for 20 years not knowing what happened to him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stayne Falls posted:

Where do you think he got the giant tape deck for that spaceship? You think he just built that from memory?

No, I think the Ravagers stole some stuff while they were on Earth and Yondu gave it to Quill when he decided not to turn Quill over to his father. This makes more sense than either of the two alternate explanations for Quill having all kinds of junk but nothing more recent than his abduction, which are that Quill went back to Earth but spent his whole time in thrift stores, or that there is a thriving interstellar market for 80s Earth tat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cage posted:

Yeah, but how would Sarahs friend in Mexico know about terminators?

She told every other guy she ever met, why not Enrique Salceda?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep. Three Days of the Condor is pretty bad too, our hero kidnaps a chick and at best Stockholm-syndromes her into sex.

It's been a while since I last saw Blade Runner, but I seem to recall that this made the most sense:

It makes evwn more sense if Deckard is himself a replicant and doesn't know how to form the appropriate emotional responses.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ultrabindu posted:

Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx is hilariously bad at this. It's like nobody bothered to even try to cover up the landmarks in downtown Toronto.

The Highlander TV series went in the opposite direction with this. They wanted the bit that wasn't set in Paris to be set in the Northwest US, but they were obviously filming in Vancouver - sometimes directly in front of major landmarks. To get around this they created the fictional city of Seacouver, which was identical to Vancouver but had the geographical location of Seattle - hence the name.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's too bad Dredd is the most unintentionally funny movie I've seen in years.

After I've finished shooting you in the face, would you mind explaining how it was unintentionally funny?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Disgusting Coward posted:

We have Budweiser in the UK you clown. People here even drink it sometimes.

And then we go to the bathroom and refill the kegs. It is all part of the great cycle of life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Falukorv posted:

Well i know it's a kids movie and all, but this is the irrationally irritating movie thread.

I recently saw Kung Fu Panda, and the main villain is kept in some really supermax prison because he's the baddest and meanest fighter there is. He's chained and immobilized in a dark pit.
Then i thought to myself, why not just execute him? I know, i know, kids movie. But still, far more humane than being chained with both arms to the wall in a dark pit for the rest of your life, worse than the often critized real life isolation cells. Plus, you don't need to pay the salaries of 1000 thousand rhino prison guards.

Sometimes it's too risky to kill someone because they have allies, or because it would cause public sentiment to turn against you. It could be one of those things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kizudarake posted:

You do realize, when he was put in captivity, they didn't swear. It illustrates how much the world had changed. How the gently caress old are you?

Also he's Korean, so why are you assuming the entire world's TV is exactly the same as yours?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Godzilla looked fat. The MUTOs didn't even look real.

Godzilla is not fat. Twenty stories high is the definition of "big boned".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Isn't it in the books that Dexter is possessed by some ancient evil (Molloch, or something) so the author could claim that Dexter is a good person we should root for and is not responsible for his actions?
That's where the show gets the Dark Passenger business.

No, the Dark Passenger was always there as Dexter's rationalisation to himself of what he does. In the third book Jeff Lindsay introduced the idea that it was in fact a real, separate entity possessing Dexter, and got so many what-the-fucks from readers that he dropped it immediately and has been embarrassed about it ever since. If it weren't for that book revealing that Astor and Cody were hosed up in the same way as Dexter I think he would simply have retconned the entire book out of the canon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Remember if he gets this wrong it's not considered rape.

I don't know what noises turtles make, but whatever they are, you need to learn that they mean "No".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HairyManling posted:

It's been a while since I've watched the first one, but I'm pretty sure that the data that Dallas came upon when he was using the mainframe terminal said something about returning the life form if possible and that the crew was expendable and so on. It seemed to imply that someone knew there was a potentially dangerous creature out there.

Ash's special order reads "Retrieve alien life form, priority 1. All other priorities rescinded. Crew expendable". That's not an implication, it's fully explicit: the Company knew about the ship on LV-426.

E: It's also an order from high up, which is why Burke doesn't know about it in Aliens and has to initiate his own investigation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HairyManling posted:

Ok then my irrationally irritating movie moment stands. Sending a scientist and a bunch of truckers to retrieve a horribly dangerous creature probably wasn't the smartest idea.

The alien was never meant to be born before the Nostromo reached Earth. The idea was that one or more crew would be impregnated, then they would go into hypersleep before reaching the chestburster stage and taken straight to a secure facility once they got back to Earth - basically Burke's plan in the second movie. This plan was only derailed because they couldn't foresee that Kane would be so hungry that he'd want to eat before going into hypersleep.

If the alien did get loose on the ship, though, Ash had a secondary plan to kill all the crew then pilot the ship home by himself. He would be perfectly safe in doing this; the alien would ignore him because he's an android. You can see this in what happens to the crew. First Ash suggests spreading out to find the creature with weapons he knows to be inadequate, getting Brett killed; then he convinces Dallas to track it into the air ducts by telling Dallas it's an animal and hence afraid of fire when he knows full well it isn't either. Ash is deliberately killing off the male crew members because he knows he can overpower both the women at the same time. This plan only fails because Ripley discovers the Special Order before Ash can make a plan to kill Parker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

a kitten posted:

Juenet and Caro made amazing movies, not sure exactly how one of them directing an Alien movie managed to make such a crappy film.

Because neither of them is half as good individually as they were together.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Do aliens ignore adroids though? The Queen ripped Bishop in half at the end of Aliens.

Five minutes earlier he'd smashed the Queen into a wall with the landing gear of the dropship while rescuing the woman who'd just blown up all her eggs. I suspect the Queen was slightly pissed off with him and considered him a threat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cheshire Puss posted:

Watership Down, yes. Cute protagonist rabbits being mauled by cats, strangling themselves to death in snares and oh yes, asphyxiation featuring facial close-ups where their eyes bulge out of their heads as they die.

Rated Universal in the UK. Not even a PG.

Its really good though.

It's also the only U-rated film to contain a swear word.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

And he's only 22 or something. poo poo is nuts.

24, I think. He's a professional strongman and widely tipped to win World's Strongest Man in the next couple of years. As someone said: if that's Hafthor, what the hell does Wholethor look like?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

I loved how they'd run out of money for cgi spaceships and just do an episode where everybody was in period costume, loving about on the holodeck. To be fair, if you asked me to describe the plot of an episode, I can't remember a single one except "they dicked about on a pirate ship?" so I guess that one is my favourite. :v:

Isn't the pirate ship actually in Generations? One of the movies, anyway; Worf had been promoted and he was getting hazed by being made to walk the plank on the holodeck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

More complaining about star trek. No one ever wear any sort of protective equipment. Just those spandex suits. Beaming into an unknown ship: no space suit. A ship they know is on fire: no protection or air source. No armor or even a helmet when they're going into a fight.

No armour in a fight is perfectly reasonable when fights are conducted with high energy weapons. If you're hit you're dead anyway, so why wear heavy gear that'll slow you down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That makes sense when they're fighting a klingon platoon or whatever. It makes less sense when they beam down to an unexplored planet and inevitably get attacked by this week's big monster with pointed teeth.

"Beam me up".