Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Spider-Man man movies,

Where the hell does Peter get his outfit? OK so Tobey made a really crappy one for wrestling but then he makes this slick rear end looking suit that he can constantly repair after every fight but he's always scraping by to get cash?

Same for the newer films. Even Electro is in boxers for the early parts of his appearance and then a scene later he's got a jumpsuit with a lightning bolt on his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Accordion Man posted:

The comics have always been like that. A poor high school student someone makes a super web adhesive and launchers for it all on his own. I always though that the webs were a part of his powers and I always preferred that take.

I always thought the bite also gave him knowledge on how to synthesize webbing (he is a Chem nerd).

Out of all the Marvel movie characters I'm always hung up on Spider-Man's means to get his suit. The government issues Cap his uniforms, Thor's magic, Iron Man is rich enough to make his. Spider-Man is a high schooler who gets by on freelance photography. He should be the most ratchet looking superhero in New York.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Celery Face posted:

This isn't really their fault but what I didn't like about the first Spider Man movie is how The Green Goblin wasn't really that intimidating when he was flying around and causing mayhem. I was 5 years old when that movie came out and the parts where he had the mask off actually scared me. Especially when he just yelled at people.

I always liked how the mask was conveniently the right shade of metallic green to go with the suit.

1redflag posted:

Thomas Crowne Affair (Brosnan, not McQueen). He steals that Monet by putting it in that fancy briefcase, closes the briefcase thereby FOLDING THE CANVAS AND STRETCHER IN HALF, and walks out the front door. Next scene, Monet comes right out of the briefcase in pristine condition as if nothing happened (I.e., the stretcher isn't fractured).

The commentary states that they originally had a longer scene where he cut the stretcher so it would fold, but it ruined the pace of the scene and they just figured suspension of disbelief would cover them. I get that. However, why couldn't they just make the briefcase big enough to fit the painting flat so he didn't have to even fold it?

I remember that moment. I was still in grade school and that took me out of the film.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Panfilo posted:

How did Ravenswood or whatever that Arkham type place was called have all this equipment specifically designed to imprison Electro? I know he got his suit from lab personnel who were wearing those insulated rubber suits.

Oh that's where it's from? Gonna need to see that again for myself.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Stottie Kyek posted:

Transcendence

I was so mad at that plot. The domestic terrorists behind the killings caused the very thing they were trying to prevent. That's fine, they didn't hit you over the head with how ironic that turned out. But when everyone's freaking out over Johnny Depp, who really didn't plan on doing anything terrible, the government sides with the same people who bombed and killed civilians.

Also nanomachine zombies.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Can I post a moment I found awesome/funny but I'm sure other peoe will find irritating.

Saw Days of Future Past last night and loved the explanation for Professor X being alive when he was exploded into a million bits the last time we saw him.
They just didn't bother with any explanation at all and just ignored that it even happened.
Honestly I wish more movies would do that. Especially amusing since it's a time travel movie which gives you a "get out of jail free card" when it comes to retconns

Made even funnier by the fact that my mate seemed to be fixated on it before the movie started.

X-3 early on has a class on ethical use of mutant powers involving a comatose patient and blah blah. After Xavier gets atomized, the post-credits scene has the camera on Moira while Xavier greets her, implying that he used his powers to reconstruct himself via that guy's material.

Being psychic is like being a wizard.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morpheus posted:

Video games are the absolute worst for this. If you're lucky, someone will be playing a game in the background with an applicable controller, the system is actually plugged in, and realistic sound effects will be coming from the TV. God help anyone who enjoys the hobby if games have even one iota to do with the plot of the movie/episode, because then it's just gibberish.

40 Year Old Virgin had Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen playing a last-gen Mortal Kombat with N64 controllers.:arghfist::spergin:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that really bugged me about that movie was that they couldn't decide whether they wanted the magic to be realistic or over the top. So there's stuff like a big part of the plot involving a mirror box but then you have Isla Fisher flying around in a big CG bubble.

I figured they were gonna explain how they did things like turning into cash but nope. Guess that's the point.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

malal posted:

Back on the video game thing, there's a powerful scene in Breaking Bad where Jessie is having a PTSD flashback while playing a light-gun video game. It was well shot and well done, but the game he was playing was RAGE, and that just threw me. It was cool to see a proper IP, it just didn't mesh that they changed a FPS to a railed light-gun shooter.

Shameless on Showtime had a scene where the younger Gallagher kids use an Xbox 360 and are supposedly playing Gears of War. I can't remember seeing the screen or hearing the sounds but Debbie clearly yells, "Die, Locusts!"

At least they knew what to call the enemies.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerusalem posted:

I hate whenever characters refer to somebody by their relationship.

"How's it going, big brother?"
"Oh you know me, sis, can't complain!"

When I talk to my siblings I call them by their name, I don't need to remind them that we're related. It just feels so forced. Do people actually do this in real life?

Some cultures have honorifics to address family members. It would only really make sense if it was they were talking to someone who's older than them, like a sibling, a parent, or aunt/uncle.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

oldpainless posted:

In Thor 2, does the movie explain how Loki is imitating Odin at the end or where the real Odin is?

Why is it Thor can see through his bullshit in the cell but not when he's posing as Odin?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

May Contain Nuts posted:

Sidenote: Why the hell does everyone paint their fighters white or light gray? It's like they want the enemy to see them. The only people doing it right are the Empire and that one stealth ship in Battlestar Galactica.

I think it was in a Mass Effect codex or some other source that space battles would rely more on sensors detecting heat emissions from enemy crafts before visually seeing the targets because the distance between ships would far exceed our ability to see them.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Similar thing: I was bored and watching some crime procedural called The Glades, and an episode had the main character talking to some kid saying he saw him playing X-Plane, then in the same breath saying he can't get to level 10. A few episodes later, and they've gone from referring to it as an xbox 360 to calling it an "Xstation". I assume it had something to do with Microsoft, but it was still strange. Oh, and the same show is ridiculous for advertising the Kia Optima. Girl gets held hostage in one, hostage taker comments on all the amenities. They even took to doing car commercial style shots anytime a Kia Optima was on screen. I mean, there's in-show advertisement, and then there's IN-SHOW ADVERTISEMENT.

Watch The Last Stand. There's a terrorist outdriving all the cops in this sweet sportscar that only one dude in the FBI knows about and he goes to great lengths to explain all the car's features and why it's so good at schooling cops.

There was a weird tales show in Disney Channel years back called So Weird. Good show early on, Henry Winkler had a funny episode. One of the episodes was about a guy designing a game that could program kids into becoming obedient Stepford children. There's shots of the kids holding handhelds like Gameboy Colors while a voice is heard hypnotizing the kids. But when the main character gets a copy of the game, it's in a CD jewel case that's obviously way too big to fit on a handheld.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Frostwerks posted:

What are the features? I do not want to watch what looks like a really bad movie.

Despite what I posted, there's a cool fight scene at the end. Give it a shot.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Frostwerks posted:

Let me put it this way: I'm not going to spend money to watch this movie period. Spoil away.

Good news, it's on Netflix! But I'm watching it now and all that's really said about it is that it's a Corvette 01 and has 1000hp and Forest Whitaker sums it up nicely with, "I've got a psychopath in a Batmobile." Oh, and it's faster than any chopper. Most of the first part of the film is showing this car weaving past SWAT.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

CJacobs posted:

I agree. Pretty much the only major safe haven in an entire country is totally compromised just because he happened to be there!

The real lesson behind World War Z is that Brad Pitt is bad luck. Goes to Israel, zombies create a meat ladder to climb over the wall; does a stealth mission with some soldiers, wife calls him just as they're about to sneak past; evacs on a plane, zombies magically teleport into the bathroom.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just marathoned Arrow's first season. At one point Oliver's best friend and business partner learns his identity. The cops bust his nightclub, which doubles as a front for his hideout. When they enter the door with the numeric keypad that leads to his gear and computer network, everything is replaced with boxes of wine. Oliver just left that room and no less than ten minutes passed before the cops arrived. How did that just happen? Did his best friend push all the computer hardware and neatly-racked arrows into the boxes? He couldn't get the construction guys to do it otherwise they'd know his secret.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Stottie Kyek posted:

That show also has one episode where all the psych experts keep referring to the fairly common and easily Google-able drug, venlafaxine (aka Effexor), as "venlaxafine".

My favorite scene from Law & Order: SVU involves midazolam with the street name "dazzle." I really want this to be true.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think the problem with Amazing Spider-Man 2 was villain overdose. Although Rhino barely counts because his entire involvement in the film could be seen in the trailer, man that was terrible.

I didn't like how Norman Osborn was built up to be an important figure only to die in the beginning moments to give the villain spotlight to Harry. ASM's Harry isn't as great as the Raimi one.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BiggerBoat posted:

From forever ago but I read the whole thread and hadn't seen this addressed:

I hear this complaint a LOT but it's really covered in ASM. They loving show him buying spandex and surfer stuff off the internet. There's an entire montage/scene dedicated to it where he silkscreens the web pattern on it and everything. It's always baffled me how people miss that.

For the Raimi films it's a legitimate bitch but for ASM it's not.

I remember the silkscreening scene but forgot the part where he orders stuff online. It's not how he gets his materials that get me, it's just how his suits look so well made for a kid just scraping together cash. But I guess that says a lot about Peter's character to make the most with what he's got.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

EmmyOk posted:

I watched the new Amazing Spider-Man earlier. The first time Max Dillon shows up as electro he is in normal clothes and at first glance you can't see he's blue and freaky. A cop sees him and calls back up, and a few seconds later like eight police cars show up. That seems like a ridiculously over the top response. Maybe the code the police officer reported was a terrorist one hence the large and quick response, but a TV crew are already there and filming Max as well. All in the space of about a minute

The last movie had a humanoid lizard trying to turn NYC into Reptilopolis. The cops are probably on a hair trigger for anything that looks remotely suspicious.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
It's best to assume ASM takes place in a parallel reality where news teams can instantaneously sense when a scoop's gonna happen and where the Sony Vaio dominated the laptop market.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

PostNouveau posted:

Stan Lee cameos in Marvel movies. That was cute in Spider-man like a million years ago, but now it just annoys me.

They were great in Sam Raimi's films because he would be there for less than a second and you had to put some effort trying to spot him.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I don't like the stylized subtitles in John Wick. they bold words in these chunky italicized varsity jacket letters

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

SiKboy posted:

Thats kind of like saying "Well if sharks can smell blood, how come I've never been attacked when I cut myself shaving?" I think.

candygram

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

gonna spoiler all this in case someone hasn't seen the film yet:

the execution scene. i assume the organization conducting it are the American equivalent to the Ministry of Magic. as a governing body i'm also gonna assume that both organizations are also subject to the Muggle/Nomaj(coming back to these terms later) laws of their given countries.

the execution method seems awfully unconstitutional. like i know the electric chair and hanging and firing squad were probably more prevalent back then, but mindfucking the criminal and then smothering them in that fluid seems awfully cruel and unusual.

also, why is there a regional difference in colloquial terms for non-magic users but not for squib?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

poptart_fairy posted:

In this last one isn't it only Grindelwald using the term? He's European, so...

oh yeah, that makes more sense

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Polaron posted:

They also use stock footage of Red and Gold squadron's pilots from the Death Star assault during the fleet battle at the end.

I thought the quality between those shots were kinda off.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Thomas Crown Affair was on premium channels last night. was it ever explained how he could fold a painting into thirds without taking the canvas off the wooden frame and keep it intact on his suitcase?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just saw Don't Breathe. It was good and tense, but the ending was kinda weak.

at the end, Rocky escapes the house and ditches town but sees a news report about how the vet survived the attack and is returning home. the film established that home invasion with a gun was enough to allow the vet to defend his home so killing them wouldn't be considered a criminal charge, and he disposed his daughter's killer's/baby mama's remains in cement so he'll never be implicated in her abduction. so far he should be able to go scot-free.

but what about the impregation dungeon in his basement? there's no way he'd have the time to hide all the padding and refrigerated cum he's kept in cold storage while the police arrived - and they did arrive since the security alarm kept blaring and he was rescued.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerusalem posted:

Captain America: Civil War which I otherwise loved never had a moment where somebody pointed out that many of the problems Tony Stark wants to fix (and the justifications for the Registration Act that will be policed by Tony Stark) were largely caused by Tony Stark.

Edit: On top of that, there's never really a moment in that or Age of Ultron where the Scarlet Witch gets to confront Tony about his old weaponry having killed her parents. Sure he's realized the error of his ways since then but Wanda would probably still want the catharsis of bringing it up to him, even if only to explain away her own actions.

I like how Tony admits that he can't quit being Iron Man and that's why Pepper left him. He knows on some level that he keeps making the same mistakes, but he can't go all the way with it and realize that he tries to externalize his faults so that he can abdicate guilt and responsibility. I re-watched Age of Ultron and when they talk about Klaw the vibranium arms dealer Tony defends himself from Steve's judgmental glare about how he met Klaw at conventions like the guy was a casual acquaintance but when Klaw talked to Ultron it sounded like Klaw was a business partner with Tony on some level.

Another bit of dialog i liked was when they're at Clint's farm and Tony says Steve looks like he didn't get affected by Scarlet Witch's mind games. Tony then says he doesn't trust a guy without a dark side to which Steve replies maybe Tony hasn't seen it yet.

It made the reveal in Civil War a billion times better for me when I looked back on it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Schubalts posted:

I read a romance with that premise. Two classmates are secretly crushing on each other, then one gets the courage to confess only to get turned down and find out it's because their parents were secretly dating and they want to get married. And then they had to live in the same house while their parents went globe-trotting. Awkward teens, suddenly having to deal with the object of their affection becoming their off-limits sibling.

This is the last second twist to Drive Me Crazy and both parties were cool with it. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is that photoshopped with the snail in there? They're trying to convey a somewhat heavy point to get across and that's the picture they go with? Not some random landscape but some goofy rear end smiling snail?

The eye stalks provide a visual link to whatever the gently caress is going on with Pietro's hair.