Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tunahead posted:

By contrast, Equilibrium is a loving terrible movie in basically all conceivable ways but I loved it just because it looked like Christian Bale didn't have any trouble twirling around like a ballerina.
Equilibrium is as dumb as a box of rocks but totally worth it for the fight he has with Robert the Bruce at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

sicDaniel posted:

Musketeer stuff.
Paul W S Anderson is a loving hack. I'll happily sit through any old poo poo in the name of entertainment but double gently caress that guy's films.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Shai-Hulud posted:

It was terrible in Avengers. Pepper is watching the whole new York destruction thing on TV and Tony tries to call her in what he thinks are the last moments of his life. The phone is right there but nope. Not even on vibrate. Just silently showing Tonys face.
I guess this is the new "there's no signal!"
To be fair, if I was watching someone I knew battle aliens live on TV, they'd probably be the last person I'd expect to get a call from at that moment.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Jerusalem posted:

The worst for me is Enemy of the State, where they are reviewing footage of Will Smith's shopping bag and trying to figure out if the footage of the assassination is in it. They can't see anything from the side it was filmed, so they create a 3d version of the scene and TURN THE BAG AROUND AND SEE THE TAPE INSIDE THE BAG. The movie requires you to take a lot for granted but it's all mostly based on reasonable beliefs about technological capabilities... but then this one scene is suddenly all,"We created a 3d environment based on the one side of the bag we could see, turned it around and saw the bulges being made on the other side of the bag even though that information was not present in the data we initially extrapolated it from!".

It's just such a bizarre addition, especially because it is so unnecessary (why not just have them switch to a different security camera feed that captures the other side of the bag?), it's the script deliberately introducing a problem and then just making up a bullshit solution to the problem THEY created. I mean, if the technology in the movie is capable of creating accurate images of things IT CAN'T SEE why didn't they just extrapolate a 3d environment from a picture of the entire city and then go inside each building and see where Will Smith was? It's essentially the same thing!

Edit: The scene in question.
I think I actually watched this with director commentary for some reason and according to Tony Scott, computers could actually do this. By analysing the shadows around the bag. In 1999. I don't believe it for a second either. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

MrJacobs posted:

which doesn't make any goddamned sense if the ship had some kinds of shields
Isn't there a conversation on the bridge right before that crash where some guy comes up and tells the commander that they've lost shields and the commander says they should intensify their fire in response? I don't want to point fingers but if the chain of command on their futuristic spaceship involves a dude walking back and forth with status reports, it's no wonder they loving lost.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I always assumed some berk at the studio assumed they'd get a stern letter from whoever held copyright on stockholm syndrome.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Azran posted:

I think it was in CSI NY where they get into some kind of faux Second Life to look for a suspect and when the ingame avatar starts running away the main character switches to a gamepad and tackles him down, which makes the suspect confess.

There is also an episode where there is a death at some kind of Xbox 360 event. They end it with the entire crew playing Gears of War for like three minutes.
CSI NY is basically Irrational Irritation: The Show. I saw one where a time traveller turns up, makes a bunch of predictions then dies and at the end it turns out he could predict the future with 100% accuracy because of game theory. It'd have been more plausible if they'd just had the guy be a wizard or some poo poo.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Tiggum posted:

I hate this unless the person doing it is someone like J Jonah Jameson. Most of the time I want the first person to just reply "Uh, no. That's not possible. I told you when I can get it finished by."
I used to work for a guy who'd constantly do this and we'd just tell him "This isn't Star Trek, it'll be done when it's done".

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Non Serviam posted:

Yeah, that's even worse. He didn't slow it down, he just opened it, while still moving, and shoved his hand inside.

Still, I love the movie. I've been watching a bunch of infection-related movies, any suggestions? (already on queue The Crazies)
I haven't seen Outbreak in ages but isn't he just distracted? I'm sure he's looking at something else and just sticks his hand in not realising it's still spinning.

Also, to tie this in to the World War Z discussion, I'm piss-sick of zombies so I expected to hate WWZ but I actually quite enjoyed it because I thought it was quite like Outbreak. Like they'd just taken a movie about an infectious disease and put zombies in it as a way to visualise the spread. :shrug:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Which is still dumb, because 90% of centrifuges won't let you open the lid when it's spinning.
I'll be the first to admit I know gently caress all about centrifuges, so I'll take your word for it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Snapchat A Titty posted:

oh my god that is not a parody. I had completely forgotten what that scene was like so I didn't realize it was the real thing until Rene Russo came on. "oh but what about aids" "ah gently caress it who cares"
Yeah, I retract my earlier objection - that's way dumber than I remembered. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Away all Goats posted:

Just saw Days of Future past:

What the hell was Xavier's telepathy powers being tied to his ability to walk? He took a pill that suppressed his powers but also allowed him to walk? How was he walking around in First Class?
Cause he didn't have a spinal injury yet? They do explain in the film that the serum represses mutant powers by something something regenerates dna, so a side effect of surpressing his powers is that his injury heals. But somehow only temporarily. Unstable molecules or some poo poo. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Stottie Kyek posted:

My mam's a doctor, and it's sometimes fun to watch House with her. She says the final diagnoses are usually pretty accurate (except the stupid one where they gave a guy ECT to erase his memories), but the diagnoses they try along the way often don't make any sense, or aren't the first one you'd usually try.
Yeah but isn't House running the "If in doubt: gently caress about" wing of the hospital? People only get sent to him when the proper doctors run out of ideas.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Byzantine posted:

X-men needs to stay off on its own due to its massive cast and effectively incompatible worldbuilding, but I am disappointed that Spidey can't be in the Avengers.

Cause then he'd get a decent movie.
Yeah, someone really needs to make a Spiderman film that isn't two hours of him loving moping.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Accents are an absolute curse on actors. It must be like the number one thing people pick fault with - I'm sure I read an interview once where Michael Caine was bitching about the response to his accent in The Cider House Rules, saying it was actually a really good regional accent but people assumed he was just doing a New York accent really badly or something.

This is more of a dialect thing but watching The Blacklist recently, they had an episode with a geordie villain. His accent was alright but at one point he called someone "love" rather than "pet" which bugged the living poo poo out of me.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Enemy At The Gates, where no one other than Bob Hoskins even attempts either a russian or german accent
Did Hoskins do an accent in that? I thought he just ran around being all cockney as gently caress. I do remember he only ever referred to Stalin as "The Boss" which made me think he was working for Bruce Springsteen.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only irrationally irritating part to me was the "hotshot" instead of "flare" moment.

Everything else was basically spot on to the comic, and god damned amazing.
They were clearly saving incendiary rounds for that bit later on where he does a war-crime. Hotshot is actually what they call heatseeking rounds sometimes in the comics but yeah, that was a really bad moment. Also Anderson's badge should say "Rookie" rather than her name but other than that it's impressively faithful to the comics.
:goonsay:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Aggressive pricing posted:

I don't watch trailers anymore because they show the entire plot.
They could be worse. I remember watching Police Story 2 at my mate's house as a kid and the trailers were basically 5 minute summaries of the films, with a narrator telling you the entire plot including the ending.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because he's in the United States, isn't he? Or do they travel somewhere to find him? He does have a Premier League game on, but you can watch those in America with the right cable package.
He's in Miami, I think. Though as anyone who's seen Withnail & I knows, english actors will drink anything.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Away all Goats posted:

Well in the Walking Dead universe Everyone is already infected, it's dying (to anything) that will cause you to turn into a zombie
And yet they still make a point of chopping limbs off people who get scratched or bitten to stop them getting infected.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Stottie Kyek posted:

And let's assume that Godzilla is here to *~bring balance~* :2bong: without any evidence either. Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins could've been much more interesting and had much more to do in the story, but instead we have him sitting around saying "I heard some legends once, Godzilla is here to bring balance to the world, he'll fight the MUTOs", and his friend doing nothing except agreeing with him and telling everyone how great he is. Why would Godzilla fight the MUTOs anyway? It might even have teamed up with them to wreak even more havoc for all they know.
I've not seen this yet, though from the trailer I surmised that it was basically two hours of Ken Watanabe narrating a nature documentary about godzillas and now you're telling me he's not in it much? I was all set to declare this film of the year. :smith:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Bats is supposed to be a quick guy, and it seems like he's not fighting so much as vogueing.
To be fair, he has a bad case of Old Man's Leg or some poo poo that requires him to wear that brace thing, so maybe his lumbago is playing up too.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's better to think of him as composed of billions of nanobots, i.e. "grey goo."
I just assumed it was "living" metal. I mean, it's clearly not a machine and it does get visibly faster as the film progresses (after it gets shotgunned in the mall it has a bit of a lie down to recover, by the end of the film it's getting cut in half lengthways and responding with kung fu) so yeah, "it's alive" is probably the only way to explain how it works without getting into some hardcore :techno:.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Memento posted:

To me, the main problem with using Aliens as a weapons technology means that you'll end up getting Predators turning up to hunt them as trophies.
A film based around this would be loving amazing. Aliens take over the White House, then Predators show up. The army sends in a bunch of Schwarzeneggers to sort them out but they get out of control and they have to call Linda Hamilton and so on. Like the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly but with explosions.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Seventh Arrow posted:

"A special kind of movie magic"
To be fair, it says "from the creators of 'Watership Down'" right after that, so fair loving warning.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's in the theatrical version too, but he just sort of hits him in the gut and it's not 100% clear he kills the guy, especially if you somehow managed to go into the movie blind, only having seen the first film.
It always kind of bugged me that the T1000 arrives naked and then only copies that cop's uniform, just to keep the audience fooled.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Dr_Amazing posted:

Oh man the holo deck. I know it's a tv show, but there's no way that thing would be used for anything except loving holograms. Instead half the crew goes in and simulates having a picnic or something. I guess it's neat that Worf uses it to practice murdering people.
I loved how they'd run out of money for cgi spaceships and just do an episode where everybody was in period costume, loving about on the holodeck. To be fair, if you asked me to describe the plot of an episode, I can't remember a single one except "they dicked about on a pirate ship?" so I guess that one is my favourite. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

theironjef posted:

They all had some stupid thing they liked to do. Picard liked old spy novels, Bashir liked less old but still ridiculously old in Star Trek years spy novels, O'Brien wanted to reenact wars that are further away from him than the Revolutionary war is from us, Paris liked 1930s adventure shows with pots and pans robots, and Barclay liked to gently caress his coworkers. Also I think Geordi used it to practice loving his coworkers or something, is that right?
You're asking me? All I remember is the pirate ship.

Having said that, I seem to remember Kirk and co landing on a planet where everyone was a 50s gangster and another planet that was all densely packed hitlers, so I guess my issue with the holodeck is just laziness? Like, there's enough poo poo in the universe that statistically there must be a planet with nothing but 17th century pirates on it somewhere, they just can't be arsed to look for it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

Isn't the pirate ship actually in Generations? One of the movies, anyway; Worf had been promoted and he was getting hazed by being made to walk the plank on the holodeck.
It's entirely possible that I actually remember the plot of no episodes then. Unless you count the one where Picard draws a horse playing a saxophone.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

LeJackal posted:

I hate that movie for so many reasons. One of the big gripes is how by the end of the film they have performed illegal searches, seizures, committed numerous felonies, invaded sovereign Cuban territory and murdered Cuban military and civilians all as part of their murder quest, then end by more or less assaulting an active US military base! Naturally just before the credits roll they are hanging out in the backyard laughing because there are literally zero consequences to their crimes.

I loving hate rear end in a top hat protagonists that literally get away with murder because they are ostensibly the good guys.
My biggest complaint with that film is where they drive through a shantytown on a cuban hillside and Martin Lawrence just goes "Look out! Drug labs!" as an excuse to have every single shack explode. After two and a half hours of insulting my intelligence, that's apparently where I draw the line.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

As I recall, you're seeing the scene in a mirror.
Isn't it actually some impossible shot that's only possible because it's a fake mirror with doubles mimicking the actors? Or am I thinking of something else entirely? If it's a fake mirror but they remembered to make the tool spin the mirrored way too then fair play to them, that's some attention to detail.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, it's not actually a mirror but on one side it's Arnold and Linda Hamilton and on the other it's a fake Arnold head and Linda's twin sister. Or the other way around, either way it's done with Linda's sister and a fake Arnold.
I went and found it online, it's an amazing bit of trickery: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x615wr_terminator-2-judgment-day-cpu-reset_shortfilms

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Pook Good Mook posted:

James Cameron™
Watching that scene though, the bit with the air tool isn't mirrored so I guess the irrational irritation is entirely valid.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Arrath posted:

More like Wayne Industries Metal Recycling branch. Then make more batarangs or a new batmobile or something.
I'd love to see him driving a batmobile that was just a bunch of guns welded together, firing shots off every time he corners or hits a pothole - fear is his greatest weapon after all.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

muscles like this? posted:

I know a lot of people aren't liking Gotham but since Bruce in that show is a little kid he actually is focusing more on being a detective right now.
I'm actually quite liking Gotham, though Gordon is a bit bland - when I saw Donal Logue I thought he was going to be Gordon and got all excited but he's pretty entertaining as Bullock so that'll do I guess. It's better than loving Arrow at any rate.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

syscall girl posted:

I have been ignoring the poo poo out of Gotham and pretty much any tv that isn't POI or Rick and Morty but Donal Logue as Bullock sounds fantastic.
It's no Person of Interest (nothing is though) but yeah, he's great.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Vhak lord of hate posted:

The good movie version of Olympus Has Fallen is White House Down, you're welcome.
Seconding this, White House Down treats the concept properly, which is to say they just have fun with it instead of pulling some Tom Clancy poo poo.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Phanatic posted:

Which one of the two movies was the one that was clearly the Die Hard script with the names crossed out and new ones written in in pencil?
In White House Down the guy fights terrorists in his vest, so there's your answer.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Sundayturks posted:

I crack my knuckles and can do this. It's just a couple of pops though, not LOUD-rear end MANLY BONE GRINDING ACTION.
Still kind of a dumb trope though.
I quite like the one where tough guys crack their neck from side to side before a fight. I get headaches that go away if I do that and it's way harder to do than just moving your head left and right - I end up looking like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Ignite Memories posted:

Actually it's really easy to crack your neck that way? I literally just did it. I do it frequently.
Most of the time I have to roll my head back and forth and/or pull my chin in the opposite direction. I have no idea which of us is going to be more crippled in old age though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I've no idea about why the van going off the bridge didn't wake Arthur but isn't Ariadne asleep in the fortress? She goes with Cobb to rescue Fischer from limbo after he gets shot.