Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Ms Boods posted:

Even more annoying about that scene in Troy is that there were no coins at the time when the Trojan War was alleged to take place -- Trojan War = c. 1250 BC; invention of coinage by the Lydians = c. 6th century BC. Also, being the older man in the pair, Achilles should have a beard. :argh: Aside from Briseis, anyway :v:

Don't get me started on Gladiator, although it never fails to crack me up that one of Russell Crowensius's choices of head-covering helmets just before his debut at the Coliseum is the Sutton Hoo helmet! (ie a dude from c.AD 180 Rome having a choice of wearing the ceremonial burial helmet of a 7th century AD Anglo-Saxon king).

What irritated me the most about Gladiator was Marcus Aurelius secretly longing for a Republic. That is some Hollywood history right there. And of all people, Marcus Aurelius is pretty well known and even wrote a whole diary of sorts about his philosophical outlook on things, which survives to this day and has been sold in English for centuries. Nothing in there about returning to the good ol' republican days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

syscall girl posted:

In the book it was more that Smaug assumed Bilbo was from Laketown because his riddle included the phrase "barrel rider" and thus he was scouring Bilbo's home, possibly with him in it but at least all of his friends and family would be there, right?

Wasn't also Bilbo invisible the entire time in the book? From what i remember part of the frustration was him not being able to see him.

I guess my pet peeve is why Smaug didn't just torch/eat Bilbo and then making a move on Laketown.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

MrJacobs posted:

They wouldn't have. But the shield got dropped rather quickly into the trap and dumb luck hosed over command due to the captial ship being blown the gently caress up by some random A-Wing which doesn't make any goddamned sense if the ship had some kinds of shields but hey, it's loving Star Wars so who gives a poo poo?

You would think a huge ship like that would have some kind of redundancy to prevent such a thing.

Anyway, sometimes i don't see the ending of RotJ as a happily ever after ending. The empire supposedly spans the galaxy and they probably have a bunch of divisions and other star destroyers, so i imagine a galaxy wide civil war is just waiting to happen now with a bunch of leaderless Imperial commanders now going to act as independent warlords with their own star destroyers. The military hierarchy was already so f'ed up with each commander acting on it's own wim (see: star destroyers crashing into each other trying to catch the falcon instead of any kind of concerted action).

Might make it easier for the rebels, but still, it's gonna be bloody.

Also, why didn't the rebels just use their space fleet to bombard that parabol supplying the death star shield on Endor. If i remember correctly the skies above it was free due to Emperors plan to draw the rebels into the Endor base were their horribly environmentally unsuited commandos were waiting to ambush them.

The Empire are kind of poo poo at strategy, they can't combine forces to svae their lives. Like on Hoth, in a wolrd with hovering vehicles and space ships they use walkers that are slow, can be tripped and can only shoot from a narrow angle right in front of them. Amazing how the attack pattern delta includes flying in front of that narrow space, done right they shouldn't have lost a single speeder to those walkers.

I mean, an Empire which has resources to build a space center the size of a moon, can't spare a couple of fighters on Hoth? They would be massively useful on Hoth against speeders, combine that with TIE bombers to bomb the shield generator. And they had a star destroyer right above Hoth which houses fighters, so they were there. They couldn't spare bombers on Hoth, but can afford to send them to bomb countless asteroids in the search for the Flacon?

At this rate they would probably lose against the Talibans even.

Armchair general here, i know, but that's how it looks to my untrained eye.

edit: while walkers are a flawed design and the empire being incompetent, i think it all makes sense. A corrupt empire with an absolutist emperor people must always be vying for his favor, and they must suffer from a crippling military industrial complex. Hence moneypits such as the walkers, it's the F-35 of The Empire. Or how major flaws like lack of star destroyer redundancy and vulnerable reactor ports are overlooked.
Or intense interservice rivalry preventing the navy, air force and army cooperating. A functional galaxy wide empire would probably have a ton of TIE fighters defending the first death star instead of a handful.

The Empire embodies the largest flaws of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, in a way. Military at least, they do genocide but maybe not racial war of extermination and such.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Jun 10, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

LeJackal posted:

You can blame the shield generator and good old fashioned arrogance for that! (Also TIE fighters are poo poo in atmosphere. Look at them.)

Though your general thrust is correct, the Empire under Palpatine was dumb, dumb, dumb.

Didn't think of that, you would imagine though that they would have developed some kind of fighter that can fight in an atmosphere. The X-wings do that, and since they must have developed those kind of vehicles to begin with before even reaching space technology, designing a planet fighter must be pretty basic knowledge in that universe. A spacefaring military dictatorship must be doing some major repression on a livable planet's surface after all.

They have speeder bikes and walkers, so they should have some kind of terrestrial air force too.

But by now i'm overthinking it, Star Wars is a space opera, ofc they can't go into the specifics of military doctrine and such.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Jun 10, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I thought the idea of a fear based military was pretty cool, with the at-at being a completely pointless but terrifying weapon. if they just put a few side guns on the thing and a couple underneath it would still be silly but it would make sense in a "holy poo poo that stomping noise is a loving building on legs oh god" type of way.

Yeah i agree, and it also shows how it can all go to poo poo if people get desperate enough to try to overcome that fear and start to poke holes at the paper tiger.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

The Emperor never gave a poo poo. That's why his fighters are stupidly designed sandwiched balls and his troops are armored up like toy packaging that just barely stop the arrows from Ewoks. He's a Sith Lord, runs the galaxy, and thinks everyone in it is his plaything to do as he pleases. He tried rebuilding the Death Star and instead of learning the lesson of protecting even those small meter wide ports that can fit torpedoes that run straight to the power core, he wanted it built bigger so entire ships could fly through to the power core and bask in the glory of watching the fireball begin. He's really not about using resources wisely.

If you're really concerned about what his military doctrine is, it's you're expendable. You don't need more detail than that. Also creepy geezer smile and cackle.

Kind of amazing that he lasted for so long. Except for Vader the only thing that seems to keep his men loyal is naked authority, fear, and perks that come with being in top command. There's doesn't seem to be much ideological cause in it for the foot soldier or even for the generals. Conditions seem rife for a military coup, as those perks seem to diminish when they are sent on military fiascoes and top commanders being executed for arbitrary reasons. A cabal of officers could easily find enough motivation to rally some troops/ships whatever and kill the force-rear end in a top hat and his lapdog who puts the blame of their martial non-prowess on them and can just on a wim decide to kill them for it. From an officers POV, alot of their hardship could be eliminated by a coup. In A New Hope you even have an officer being openly resentful of Vaders "force mythology". I feel like those resentments could easily be shared and fester.

I mean, if they perceive themselves at some point as being disposable pawns and scapegoats, that would be a coup potential.

Top man Needa or what ever the admirals name was saw for himself on what shaky ground he stood on while serving the emperor, and there we have a top-ranking admiral who essentilly holds no actual loyalty for the emperor, just fear.

Maybe the Rebels should have tried harder to flip some Imperials with obvious doubts.

This is essentially what got several Roman Emperors assassinated. One of the best soldier emperors, Aurelian, who managed to unite the fracturing empire during the Third century crisis, got assassinated by some corrupt governor because of a false rumor that he was going to be killed by the emperor for his transgressions.
Or for that matter, Alexander Severus who was seen as a weak sissy boy who was responsible for their percieved defeats was promptly murdered by a general.
Palpatine even has a praetorian guard by that analogy.

I can easily see Imperial military men starting to see Vader and The Emperor as the source of their failures and also job/life insecurity (especially with the to them alien force mythologizing).
The whole "capture the chosen Skywalker alive at all costs" must seem like a wild goose chase from some of the more conventional military types, i.e the guy mocking Vader at the first Death Star.

With that kind of resentment the death star officer showed, it's only a step away from him thinking: "gently caress this force assholes who treat us like poo poo commanding us on wild goose chases and fiascoes, who then blames and kill us for it, and causing casualties in the aim of getting another force dude alive to become our new vice-boss. Let's kill the emperor and the rebel forcewielding leader skywalker which we can do better on our own, and then crush the rebellion OUR WAY".

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Jun 10, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Jedit posted:

When it comes to bad geography, nothing is ever going to top Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman land at the White Cliffs of Dover and travel to Nottingham on foot in a day. This would be unbelievable in and of itself, but to make it truly unassailable incompetence they make the trip via Hadrian's Wall.

"Leap Year" mangles British Isles geography really bad. Aside from not actually depicting some of the real awesome landmarks they are supposed to represent, the route the main character has to travel to get to her final destination (Dublin) is all over the place. Basically she has to get to Dublin to meet her fiance but there's a storm so her flight gets diverted to Cardiff (why?) and she needs to find an alternative route. And i mean really alternative.

While in Cardiff she hires a fishing boat to take her to Cork, but the storm is so strong they end up porting in bleeping Dingle (which means they would pass by Cork, and then some, on the rough atlantic side).
Dublin itself is considerably closer than Dingle and almost as close as Cork. From there she has to find her way to Dublin from Dingle by land. I also remember one of the shots of Dingle clearly being the old iron age fort at Inishmore, which is an island off Galway, and another shot of the Cliffs of Moher, also not in Dingle.

Ooops Irish trains don't run on sundays (they do, actually) so she enlists the help of a local irishman that agrees to drive her to Dublin (for a price). He could have just driven her to nearby Tralee where there are busses and trains to Dublin, but the plot demands a road trip so the odd couple can fall in love.

Anyway they drive for a bit around the Dingle peninsula (which show shots of Connemara), their car is destroyed so they have to walk. Somehow manage to reach Tipperary on foot where they find a small train station. In the film it's a short hike, in reality that walk would take them probably more than a day. And the station is situated right next to a large hill with an CGI castle on top of it. Some plot poo poo and awful Irish stereotypes happens and then they finally get on a bus to Dublin.

Those were the irritating geography bits, it's also ridden with bad Irish stereotypes that would make you think they time travelled to the 1950's, and the standard romcom cliches.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Celery Face posted:

I know Jurassic Park III is a silly movie but even when I watched it as a dinosaur obsessed kid, I thought it was stupid as hell that a 12 year old boy could survive for eight weeks on a dinosaur infested island. Especially with nothing but gas grenades.

The Spinosaurus was a pretty kick rear end dinosaur but in that movie, its practically Godzilla. There's no way it could have snapped a T-Rex's neck that easily.

A major "error" i see in that fight scene is that the T-Rex early on gets a hold of the Spinos neck. The power of it's teeth, jaws and neck is basically they main strength of a T-rex, and i think in real life the spino would be done for if a T-Rex ever managed to get such a hold on the spino.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Squalitude posted:

Out of interest, how do you know all this? I saw the last 5 minutes of it while I was waiting for something else to start on the TV channel, and it was absolutely insufferable and terrible- but then I knew that it must be when I read the blurb for the film. How did you get through the entire film..?

I watched the film more than a year ago, i saw it with some friends (i didn't pick it) otherwise i wouldn't have bothered. At the time i saw the actual film i had recently travelled to Ireland so i was even more familiar with the wrong shots and geography. I stayed with a friend who lived there and stayed there for two weeks. As he lived in a town smack dab in the middle of Ireland, we went to some of the places the film is supposed to depict and i got familiar with the the routes of trains and busses and stuff (we travelled alot those two weeks, and with no car it was basically trains and busses all the way). It's how i noticed the carst cliffs in the beginning of the film actually were the ones on the Aran islands, and not, as it's in the film, in Dingle. Never went to Dingle, but i did go to Aran.

Also the anachronistic stereotypes became extra glaring for that reason. I'll name one: the roadtripping protagonist couple have to pretend they're married when they need to stay at a BnB because the lady owner is a catholic fundie. Like any owner of a BnB in recession Ireland is going to turn away tourist couples who aren't married.

TLDR: Watched the film iwth company and thus didn't pick it, and recently having been to Ireland before watching the film made the flaws even more glaring and memorable.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Jun 20, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Celery Face posted:

I watched Blackfish in grade 12 and the thing that horrified my classmates (they had their hands to their mouths and looked like they were about to cry) the most was when a group of orcas ate a seal. They also cooed over how cute Tillikum is, which was kind of weird, considering that he's killed 3 people so far and the film really goes into detail about it.

It was tough watching nature documentaries with my mother because she has a real soft spot for animals and doesn't bare watching them getting killed on screen. Especially since orcas and crocodiles were and are my favorite animals, so i just had to tell her verbally how fascinating i found it the way orca pods hunt down seals and stuff while she avoided the nasty parts. Although one thing that even i have trouble watching in nature flicks is when orcas hunt and kill grey whale calfs.

Anyone seen War Horse? I haven't, but from the looks of it i think i'll would have trouble rooting much for a horse in the middle of WWI where actual people are fed into a metaphorical grinder in droves. Really puts me off from seeing the movie, but i could be wrong, as i haven't seen it.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Well i know it's a kids movie and all, but this is the irrationally irritating movie thread.

I recently saw Kung Fu Panda, and the main villain is kept in some really supermax prison because he's the baddest and meanest fighter there is. He's chained and immobilized in a dark pit.
Then i thought to myself, why not just execute him? I know, i know, kids movie. But still, far more humane than being chained with both arms to the wall in a dark pit for the rest of your life, worse than the often critized real life isolation cells. Plus, you don't need to pay the salaries of 1000 thousand rhino prison guards.

Besides, he ends up escaping anyway and ends up blown to smithereens offscreen.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Sep 1, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Cant think of any allies, the whole town was basically evacuating when they got wind of that he'd escaped. He was a lone wolf. But yeah, the mentor having a soft spot is a good enough reason (ignoring that he was arguably held in a state worse than death).

I mean, the whole town cheered when he was killed, nobody would care if they killed him in custody. poor Tai, kind of feel sorry for him. Shouldn't have indoctrinated him in a messianic warrior cult, not his fault if you think about it.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Sep 2, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Who What Now posted:

It's not a movie, but me and my wife have been marathoning Dexter on Netflix and little thing that irks me is that on at least half a dozen times someone has been thrown into the trunk of a car while still awake and aware. So they pound on the trunk door and scream and struggle and all the usual things people do in that situation in TV and Movies. But trunks in cars have had a latch to open it from the inside for those exact situations for years now. All they have to do is pull it and they'll immediately be free and visible to anyone else on the road.

Logically I know why that they don't do that; because it wouldn't be very convenient for the plot, but it still stands out to me.

Also, Dexter uses strong opioids to sedate his victims, which is bad for inducing unconsciousness. If you pump someone with so much opioids to render someone completely unconscious, it becomes a fine line between life and death as respiratory depression sets in. Realistically, half of his victims should turn up dead once he opens the trunk to take them to the plastic room.

For those of you who don't know, the drug he uses on his victims, is etorphine, an insanely powerful opioid used solely for big game animals. Elephant and rhino grade opioids.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Sep 21, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
What bothered me more is that blight seems like a much more simple problem to solve than interstellar travel and colonization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I don't get why the rebels won't just bombard the huge satellite dish on Endor which is feeding the Death Star it's shield with their ships.