Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

The problem with Marty McFly's chicken issue is it doesn't exist in the first movie. So it must have been a side effect of the changes from 1955. Like the Lone Pine Mall sign.

my irrationally irritating moment is that the first film ends with a murder that is never addressed in the subsequent films by a man who supposedly understands time enough to build a machine that can navigate freely through it.

marty returns to his time and doesn't recognize anything about his life, because he's from another timeline. basically one night a Marty that lived in a relatively well-off and stable family with an angry caretaker who once tried to rape the matriarch went to bed and then never woke up again, subsumed by an invader Marty from another timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

When Topher Grace left That '70s Show they brought in a new guy who was really obviously supposed to be the new Eric. Although they ended up killing him off fairly quickly because he got a better offer on another show.

On the CW show The 100 when they introduced the character of Pike in s2 it was kind of awkward. He's brought on as a character that everybody knows and respects but for some reason was never around during all the important space station stuff in s1.

not sure how well my 15-year-old E! inside scoop memory holds up to scrutiny but apparently ashton kutcher did an episode of punked with every cast member of that 70s show except topher. topher was allegedly super aloof toward the rest of the cast the whole run of the show, left the show early to try to launch a movie career (then spider man 3 happened lol) and everyone kind of blamed him afterward for killing the show (even though kutcher kinda dipped out first). i always thought man what a prick, he couldn't make a single gesture to indicate he appreciated his role in crafting a beloved, popular tv show with a cool, close group of people.

then we all found out danny masterson was a serial rapist and it was a bit of an open secret.

okay topher, i see you.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

has anyone ever sat down and had a little chat with James Marsden? cuz I'm a little worried about this guy since realizing he has built his entire career off of getting cucked.

off the top of my head:

the notebook
x-men
the loft
straw dogs
superman returns (literally unknowingly raises another man's child. lois is hosed up)
westworld

am I missing anything? i haven't seen the new sonic movie

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Eh! Frank posted:

Enchanted

And admit it, you just watched the Sonic Honest Trailer, didn't you? :v:

no but I just did because of this post

looks like I got cucked by a one-trick hack youtube account

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

SiKboy posted:

Maybe you just got something thats not very cinematic. Like... Maybe now you have a mutant immunity to smallpox or something. They cant all be winners.

Also, have you considered irradiating the bugs before letting them bite you? Just to load the dice a little.

a mutant immunity to smallpox would probably suck even more than not being immune to smallpox. first of all, we already got the vaccine for that. second of all, you'd still have the x gene so you'd be on the government watch lists and get searched at the airport more often and see strange cars parked across the street once in a while. "sorry we took another look at your file and we decided to hire someone else this time".

but you'd also have a pretty hard time making your case for joining magneto's holy revolution against genocidal oppression. tough break

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Strom Cuzewon posted:

End of the movie, everybody is dead, mirror is alive, and the cops arrive, finding all the tapes Gillan made to document her experiments.

That's the movie I want to see - a detective picking through the insane remains of any horror/action genre movie, trying to piece together what the gently caress was going on. Almost like a found-footage movie I guess.

wasn't that already what oculus was about though? instead of a bunch of dumbass empty suits mucking up a crime scene though, it was the two siblings going through time dilation and experiencing/piecing together the nuances of their parents' murder in realtime, which they never "totally" experienced the first time around as their child bodies were being intermittently occupied by their own adult selves from the future (and vice versa?).

m night shymalan's devil kinda has what you're looking for, but the detective is trying to solve the supernatural mystery poo poo as it's going on instead of after the fact. the thing has a great sequence, probably the proto-example, of what you're describing about 30-40 min into its runtime*

*made retroactively lame by the prequel

edit: sinister is the film that was on the tip of my tongue. it is exactly what you're looking for. also the last act of sunshine

God Hole has a new favorite as of 05:01 on May 15, 2020

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Pilchenstein posted:

They might as well put vampires on the cover of From Dusk till Dawn :v:

what have you done

edit: horrible snipe. what have I done!!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

minority report:

so how exactly were they planning on expanding the precrime program nationwide when it seemed the precogs were uniquely powerful in their mutant clairvoyance?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Forcibly recruiting/breeding/cloning precogs, likely.

okay yeah im gonna rescind my IIMM. that is absolutely what happens in hypercapitalist dystopia and also in the world of minority report

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

SimonChris posted:

My biggest problem with Minority Report is that they removed the actual goddamn minority report, which is the entire point of the original story! It is in the title!

I really wish they had kept the basic plot idea from the short story, which is that each pre-cog is capable of predicting the main characters reaction to the predictions of the other pre-cogs, leading to a self-reference loop that causes inconsistent predictions. This is much more interesting than the movie where they just have the final prediction randomly fail for no reason.

oh yeah!! the twist hinges on the precogs catching an "echo" faked by max von sydow and then the technicians delete it

but that itself hinges on the precogs selectively seeing just enough that it still looks like an echo, rather than a real murder. like in the big reveal at the dinner party, they arbitrarily reveal just enough more of the recording to show sydow removing his mask after the murder. why wasn't that caught the first time? why would the faked "echo" still have the same POV shots as the original?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

IUG posted:

The echo being ignored isn't the fault of the precogs, it's a fault of the technician. The precogs shows a murder, one that looks just like one they saw already, so the tech doesn't even bother to review it. Scanning the timeline and looking around the environment is up to the tech so they can do the detective work.

yeah but what I'm saying is why did the echo only contain the parts of the murder that were repeated exactly, at exactly the same points? why didn't the new, faked echo include max von sydow waking up that morning, eating breakfast, calling agatha's mom to meet up later that day, then shopping for the ski mask? the reasons those new occurrences weren't in the new vision seems arbitrary and glossed over.

SimonChris posted:

I was thinking more of the scene at the very end, where pre-crime shows Cruise killing Von Sydow, but then he decides not to do it, thus proving that pre-crime doesn't work because of free will or something. They shut down the system, and everyone lives happily ever after (except for all the people being murdered). It is such a lame cop-out to have the system just fail at the end for no particular reason.

As for the echo, why didn't Von Sydow just do the murder outside of precog range since they are still only scanning the Washington area? He was already taking the victim out of the city. Drive a little further and there would be no need for the echo scheme at all.

i saw that as sydow being the only person in the history of precrime who was actually allowed the opportunity to choose whether he would carry out fate (as defined by precogs) or not. precrime, by existing, was a confirmation of a deterministic universe - a refutation of free will. sydow is the only person that the precrime division never intervened with, and by killing himself proved that free will existed. precrime justified itself through its results, but those results were built on shaky foundations. the precrime experiment was never carried out in good faith because of that oversight regarding free will.

God Hole has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Jul 5, 2020

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

Stepbrothers did that right when Dale Doback's sister-in-law uses the men's urinal after sex.

Granted it brings up another irritating part where nobody comes into a bathroom when two characters are getting it on or, like in Mission Impossible, they're having a bang up 5 minute long fight while a rave is going on outside.

yeah, that bathroom would be full as hell the entire time with people railing lines and wobbly drunk pissing. the crowd was seriously huge and right up to the door.

also, it’s a rave in Europe, three people clearly occupying a stall together is not weird or out of place, no one would bug you and try to jokingly break into it except maybe an overzealous security dude

cool fight though, it was obviously choreographed with a different bathroom setting in mind

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In Law Abiding Citizen, if he was so good at killing people why bother with the elaborate putting yourself in to prison act? It's not like they were fooled into thinking it wasn't him (or his accomplices) all along, so why not just do all the murder and deny it? Putting yourself into prison and somehow getting the exact solitary cell you need seems a lot harder than just doing the mass murder/assassinations on easy mode by just getting away with it without all of that.

in fairness, I think it showed that he dug holes to all the solitary confinement cells.

but yeah, current events tell us he'd have been just fine putting on a smile and smugly denying everything lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

remember when anakin fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to the force by not killing palpatine

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the only thing i don't like about dredd 2012 is that in the opening, you can hear karl urban's accent come out just the one time when he says "Ameri-kurr is an irradiated wasteland"

guys, it's the first 20 seconds. just have him re-record that line. geez

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i've only seen it once but wasn't the captain of the pursuit ship toying with them a bit?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

And 3 Batman.

But only 2 Supermen.

we had three batman 2's?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i like nolan movies because i too believe that the women in my life are holding me back from my true potential and need to die so i can reach nirvana

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In the first season of True Detective, Rust and Marty get into a fist fight in the parking lot and the left tail light on Rust's truck gets busted.

Then, 12 years later, we see Rust driving his truck around and the tail light is still busted.

That seems like a real long time to drive around with a busted tail light and not get a ticket or at least replace it .

bruh, rust is a cop too

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Stephen King is a writer and like all writers congenitally incapable of dealing with measurements.

See also George Martin and the wall being about that high and people getting sniped by arrows up there.

yeah i remember the wall being 700 feet tall.

in the battle with the wildling army in the books i think they're pouring boiling oil on them but like... that poo poo would be ice cold by the time it got down there lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

christmas boots posted:

Actually yeah lol. He intended to fit a time skip into the series but in the process of fleshing out what happened in the time skip realized he couldn’t just zoom over it and no skip ever happened so for example Sansa is 11 at the start and by the time she’s getting shipped off to Ramsey she’s only 14.

That’s why one of the first big changes he grew lit when they did the show was aging everyone up like three years at the start. This also helps Robb and Jon since they’re not King of the North and Commander of the Night’s Watch at 14 and 15

yeah ned is supposed to be like 35 years old haha

one of the funny things about the show is that they make it pretty clear that a season represents about a year of actual time, so gilly's baby ends up being an infant for like 6 years

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

rydiafan posted:

I don't recall them ever doing this.

the baby is introduced in season 2, like at the very beginning of the war of the five kings. by the time some old lords are talking about the conclusion of the "years-long" war in season 4 or 5, that baby is still a baby.

the series ends and that baby is still a baby

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Gaunab posted:

My IIMM with game of thrones is that it sucks! Hahahahaha! Someone give me a high five! ✋

i think you're in the wrong thread buddy

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the dodge this line is eminently cool, extremely 90's, and above criticism imo

what you should really be upset about is why the agents have the ability to dodge bullets but not punches?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so jerusalem is currently doing a mad men watch thread in tviv which got me really thinking about don draper.

i still think mad men is a masterclass in characterization and exploration of identity and desire in the 60's, and enough was thrown in there for the largely college-educated media literate cohort of people to be able to have something to chew on and primarily come to the "right" conclusions about draper.

but in retrospect, for how mainstream the show became, i think if the showrunners were trying to illustrate how empty and ultimately unfulfilling an existence like don's is, unfortunately they were a bit too subtle.

i don't think the average american male will look at don and think "hmm maybe something about society is sick or the way this man has chosen to chase success is inherently degrading", i think first and foremost they see a man who is hypercompetent, charismatic, and gets a ton of poon. someone to emulate, because he suffers the same baseline dissatisfaction they do but managed to overcome it and find success.

i don't think it's any coincidence that the most recent explosion of the PUA movement coincided with mad men really hitting its stride.

i don't have anything constructive to add, because i'm not saying the series shouldn't have been made (or that it would have been possible to retain the core of the show without making draper so cool)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

idk, i think there is a vast chasm between "get rich cooking meth with genius-level chemistry knowledge" and "adopt an alpha persona to use women for sexual gratification and gain success in business"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

still think it would have been a masterstroke to just replace tj miller's character with christopher plummer and not have it be acknowledged it at all

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Keromaru5 posted:

Remember when they did Deadpool as Weapon XI in X-Men Origins? Good times.

Speaking of which, I don't know that this is irrational, but the whole adamantium bullet thing is where I checked out and started watching the movie as a comedy.

I know the fox x-men series is not a bastion of continuity by any means, but it really bugged me that they ended the origins movie with logan getting shot in the head, and then when we see an x-ray of his adamantium skeleton in x-men 1, there's no hole in his skull. immersion ruined!!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Ego-bot posted:

I watched the Raid tonight. You'd never be able to stab somebody deep enough with a broken fluorescent light bulb tube to do any life threatening damage. It would be more likely to shatter in your hand. And forget about applying any kind of lateral force to perform a cutting motion.

yeah fluorescent lights show up as menacing weapons in a lot of movies (i'm thinking Green Room) but whenever they make an appearance all i can think of is that scene from 40 yo virgin

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

biosterous posted:

Incredibly irrational: I cannot stand it any time any show or movie or anything uses the exact same alarm clock sound as my alarm clock. Instantly takes me out of the action because part of my brain is going "ahhhhhh gently caress i'm awake aaahhhhhh"

groundhog day but every new day starts with that alarm sound instead of "I got you babe"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so it was actually pretty true-to-life when michael j fox played his own great great grandfather but with a mustache in BTTF3

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

The opposite thing happened with the movie of World War Z where they cut out the original ending in which his character actually did stuff so in the released movie Matthew Fox is in it for like 2 seconds.

on an unrelated note I just thought of a potentially fun game: seeing how incomprehensible you can make a particular piece of media by completely removing all scenes including known abusers

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah i hate that poo poo,when a zombie is standing on two emaciated rickety legs it’s like sit down,you’re out.

I want to make a zombie movie where it’s like a big parasite that literally puppets all the limbs into moving,so eventually there’d be scores and scores of zombies on the floor chattering their mouths and nipping at your ankles.

this is a great idea! we'll call it "Resident Evil 4"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Android Apocalypse posted:

Has there been any zombie movie that runs with the "this is magic causing this"? I would like to watch that.

Side note: I'm supposed to watch Army of the Dead today with a friend (in a theater as we're both fully vaccinated!) so let's see how they explain that.

game of thrones

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ill give you fabienne, she is absolutely infantilized.

mia wallace is every strung-out, nonchalant college sophomore i've ever met. honey bunny is in her own class

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

growing up as a white millenial kid in america, i learned nothing about the black panthers in school or in the media. my only exposure to them for like the first 15 years of my life is that one scene in forest gump where forest visits their compound in DC and spends the whole time getting yelled at by a recruit who is clearly being portrayed as an annoying nuisance at best and then this white dude starts beating jenny in the middle of the room and no one gives a poo poo (until forest tries to stop it and they all get mad at him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

Skulls are hard.

i just watched the scene again because i was like how did i not remember this but it looks like his hand is intact when he pulls it out?

Only registered members can see post attachments!