Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Mu Zeta posted:

Nope he sounds like a mumbling hosed up dude in everything. I remember he was actually normal in Rocknrolla so I think he's putting on an act?

He's pretty clear in Locke, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Samuringa posted:

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE EAGLES, TELL ME WHY THEY DIDN'T USE THE EAGLES

Gandalf‘s more of a Creedence fan.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

JediTalentAgent posted:

Whenever anyone plays a German character in a movie and everyone on the internet goes, "Oh, they're doing their best Werner Herzog impression!"

I want an Inside The Actors' Studio where it's just Herzog playing clips of every movie and TV show where the actor has been compared to doing a version of him and rating how accurate they actually are.

The dude playing the villain in Jack Reacher did a really good version.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

Fun fact about Michelle Gomez. She is married to Jack Davenport. Who is probably best known in America for being Keira Knightly's fiancee in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. But I will always know him as the main guy in Coupling, or from This Life.

He is the guy who teams up with Idris Elba to fight vampires in Ultraviolet * :colbert:

*The good one, not the bad one.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

mostlygray posted:

Both of these look very interesting. I neither speak Polish nor Dutch, but I could get the gist of the first one.
The second, regarding the Potato Famine, looks like something I have to watch. I know way too little about that and seeing something in a popular manner makes me want to know more. In the US we're sorely lacking on education about the Potato Famine other than that it happened.

It’s probably worth pointing out that in Ireland it’s almost never referred to as the “Potato Famine”, but as the Great Famine. The reason for this is that the Potato Blight happened in other parts of Europe too, but there was only a famine in Ireland, i.e. the problem wasn’t the potatoes, but the UK government’s response.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Samuringa posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more straight up alcoholics superheroes like Tony Stark or Carol Danvers, you don't see the kind of poo poo they do and don't hit a dozen bottles to keep your sanity

Did Watchmen have any superheroes who were driven to drink? Seems like a missed trick otherwise.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

captain innocuous posted:

The aliens are historians just like me!

*ship takes off and destroys everything they collected*

I mean, Indiana Jones doesn’t have a great record of recovering or preserving buildings and artefacts he finds.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Gaunab posted:

I hate scenes where the protagonist is sitting at a bar or something and then the bartender/a random woman shows up and exchanges a look or few words with the protagonist and the next scene is them having sex.

The (in)famous Barrowman ad-lib in “Shark Attack 3”:

:siren::nws::siren:
https://youtube.be/uzR8cjsQhuQ

Rascar Capac has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Feb 12, 2019

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

GoT: what happened to the Dothraki? The Unsullied are off to the beach, which is fair enough, but I don’t think the Dothraki are mentioned after Daenerys’ Triumph of the Will scene.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Gorson posted:

It just makes it so hard to take Deckards character seriously. He's touted as this legendary retirer of replicants but he's bad at his job. He only kills two of them (1 in the back, 1 while they are doing gymnastics) and gets his rear end handed to him by each before "retiring" them. Rachael retires Leon, saving Deckard, and Batty hits his life span, again after saving Deckard.

If he’s a replicant himself, he can’t have been around all that long, so the “legendary retirer of replicants” bit makes most sense as a lie, part of his deep, deep cover.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I never saw it but the new movies don’t hurt the old ones.

Although I will say some movies like Casablanca or Vertigo probably not getting remade. If you have cojones to improve on that good luck to you. Psycho was kind of a crapfest and then got remade. No one made bones from that

They’ve already remade Casablanca and put Pamela Anderson in the Humphrey Bogart role. :shrug:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

e: my iimm is you can't get anyone to watch/ remember the second half of Full Metal Jacket

drat you gunny :arghfist:

I mean, 2 Live Crew clearly did.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Olaf The Stout posted:

That's weird to me when that happens. Like you got the gig, here's the gig, oh you think the gig is beneath you. Get another dude in here who will do the gig we hired him for, what the gently caress.

Christopher Lee’s wallet said “Bad Motherfucker” on it.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Not really the right thread but it's heavily implied in Terminator 1 that the Terminator smells bad.

He’s an infiltration unit, so presumably this means the resistance also smell bad?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, I was trying to think of those rare good examples and, for some reason, the only one I can think of is ZZ Top in Back to the Future 3. They're just in the background playing as a band during the town fair, do their little 'spin the instruments' trick and the movie goes on, never mentioning it again.

Charlton Heston in Wayne’s World 2.

Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall. (Yes I know).

Kurt Vonnegut in Back to School.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Marcel Marceau in Silent Movie.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Jedit posted:

I don't remember that. I just remember that in the sequel it's basically the other way round.

Stross took the criticism he got to heart.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Eh! Frank posted:

The Other Guys is one of those movies that I'm pretty sure I've seen, but I remember next to nothing that happens in it.

I was also getting it confused with The Nice Guys at first, a movie I really didn't like because the main characters were SO GOD-drat STUPID to the point where they let the girl they're protecting get killed because they very stupidly leave her completely alone while they BOTH go investigate an obviously fake lead. I wanted to like that movie, and laughing at idiots can be fun, but the movie was just so frustrating and unpleasant.

The Nice Guys is extremely good, and most of the things said about it in the above post are actually reasons that it is good.

The Other Guys is nowhere near as funny as it needs to be, and it does a peculiar thing where, having established that most action film protagonists are terrible unlikable arseholes, it suggests that our protagonists need to become more like them and that will be a good thing.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

That's not how it's done?

You have to be Tommy Wiseau to really make it work.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

christmas boots posted:

Space magic and laser space swords I can accept, but if you're going to suggest some kind of fantastical nonsense like some kind of medical space procedure wherein an egg is fertilized by sperm in a space test tube or elsewhere outside the body I don't think you really understand the difference between science-fiction (which Star Wars is) and some kind of Fantasy Space Opera (which Star Wars definitely isn't)

In Revenge of the Sith none of the Space Doctors or Space Wizards can tell that a woman is pregnant with twins.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Crowetron posted:

My other favorite behind the scenes story from that game was that the original concept was for the protagonist to be a Wookie, and George Lucas had to explain to the devs that it's a good idea for the hero of a story to able to speak a real human language.

This must be why the Half-Life games were such a failure.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

AnonSpore posted:

I thought OP was asking specifically about the hidden physical attractiveness trope and not anything having to do with violence or incels or whatever. I think with men in film it's usually glasses and hair too, though in their case it's more often haircuts and beard trimming/shaving than styling per se.

Oh, I just remembered, Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent Becomes Superman scene is a really good example of it.

[video type="youtube"]BIaF0QKtY0c[
/video]

See also "We put Johnny Galecki in some glasses. He's a nerd now."

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Game of Thrones was hilarious in that the first half of the show makes it perfectly clear that it takes a long time to get from place to place. Robb’s army, Arya and the Hound, Jamie and Brianne, etc...they all take something like a season or two to arrive at their respective destinations. Then by the last two seasons, everyone is fast traveling to get where they need to be within an episode or two.

Even faster than that: apparently you can send a message with a raven from north of the wall to the south coast and have someone fly a dragon up to rescue you, all within a matter of hours!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm cool with an internal explosion sending him all over the room because invulnerability in one direction doesn't always work in the other. Perhaps his skin handles compression very well, but not expansion.

I wish we got more backstory on superhero powers. Like what exactly is Black Noir's superpower besides looking like a badass?

Gadgets: he's the Batman stand-in with the mysterious secret identity.

Edit: In terms of what he got from Compound V, maybe enhanced strength and coordination?

Rascar Capac has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Oct 19, 2020

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

De Niro's pronunciation of "Hereford" should have tipped Sean Bean off that he hadn't actually been there.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Mauser posted:

Super-COVID, Brexit and ??

Pearly Kings.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/Patrickarchy/status/1234446582222708737?s=20

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

sticklefifer posted:

It irrationally bothers me when a title is an overly on-the-nose double entendre. I don't mean stuff like Shaun of the Dead or The IT Crowd where it's a pun or a word replacement. I mean the kind of title where it definitely seems like the writer came up with the title first, thought it was amazing because it has two meanings, then wrote an entire movie/show around it.

"Guys, it's a movie called 'Race', and it's about race, but it's also about A RACE."

"I have this idea about someone with a trans parent, and it's called - check this out - Transparent! Get it?"

I'm also reminded of a short-lived detective show a while back about a blind guy who solves crimes called, you guessed it, Blind Justice. There's also the movie Poetic Justice, about a poet... named Justice. This always feels extremely hacky to me unless it's done really well.

"Maybe we should take 'Judge' out of the title and go with my original title: 'Mr. Reinhold's Courtroom'."

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

What the gently caress happened to Cuba Gooding Jr, along those lines? i remember him in Outbreak, and Jerry Maguire. And then, was it Snow Dogs that tanked him? Or Radio?

As much as anything I always thought he was a victim of Hollywood not writing enough good parts for black actors.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Clark Kent won't risk exposing his secret identity by saving his dad. Then he risk exposing his secret identity to gently caress with a rude truck driver.

I mean, this does seem convincingly human.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

TheKennedys posted:

Who do y'all watch for bad movie reviews/commentary, if you do? I've got several favorites but I can never get enough of dunking on terrible movies

On YouTube I watch RLM, The Cinema Snob, Dark Corners Reviews, and The Bad Movie Bible.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

Old Man Hulk lives in Old Man Shelbyville.

Old Man Hulk Yells At Cloud.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

I feel like zombies post Dawn of the Dead haven't really done anything with the idea that the true horror of zombification is the idea of being trapped in the same economic situation forever.

I'd say there's a bit of this in Shaun of the Dead.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

It sounds like it's exactly the kind of movie I expect Snyder to make

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No, they only ever come back, you see.

Sometimes They Only Come Back (1991).

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Captain Monkey posted:

The hotel is more malevolent than intelligent. It wanted him to kill his family but it also just wanted to murder the gently caress out of him and make him suffer.

My (probably not very original) theory is that the hotel is us, the ghostly audience you can hear at the end of "Midnight, The Stars, and You".

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Annabel Pee posted:

The upcoming Batman is filmed in Liverpool, I think it makes for an interesting Gotham.

https://youtu.be/m0GUbAImHuw

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Bk. posted:

Just watched the Pacino version of Scarface.
The credits show a Kid #1, but no other kids.
Why bother numbering a single kid?

Also, I'd forgotten just how weird the movie is.
Irrespective of whether or not it holds up or deserves its iconic status (I'd say yes to both), it's just a really odd movie in so many ways.

Probably the most obvious example of this is the club shooting scene with the dancing clown(?) with the papier mâché head. What's the deal with that?

Cocaine.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Adam West is one of the few other actors I think could have worked as the lead in Police Squad, provided he played it straight like Batman and not hamming it up like some of his later stuff. Not that there's anything neccessarily wrong with hamming it up, it just wouldn't work for Police Squad.

West did this in the pilot for Lookwell (1991), which is pretty good:

https://youtu.be/IraqNhvvpUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

I think these days one of Nicholas Cage's underrated performances is in Raising Arizona.