Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember some discussion on how Cap's vision in Age of Ultron is basically how he feels at home in war, and having no more wars to fight is a nightmare to him because he doesn't know what else to do with himself. Which might be significant given part of how Thor lost his hammer in the first place was starting a war on a whim.

Mjolnir seems almost a little sentient; it understands and obey's Odin's command, and responds to its wielder intuitively. I wonder if we're ever gonna see Beta Ray Bill, the original 'Hey, this guy is also worthy!'

Also, the coat rack was worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They could, but they won't because it's an incredibly cliche and easy story to tell and they know even the people saying they don't want that storyline will go see every new movie they churn out at least once.

My irritation with thanos has always been why he didn't just go after them himself in the first place. Comic book villains always send underlings to screw it up and let the good guys get some new powerful stuff so when they finally meet they can beat him. If Thanos had just joined the fight from the beginning he could probably have his dumb magic glove already.

IIRC, Thanos is typically depicted in the comics as being lazy, self-loathing and kind of half-assing the whole 'take over the universe' thing, which it seems he only really makes an effort to do because he's bored.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nutsngum posted:

Boy is somewhat of a miserable read at times due to his entire education being a rather hosed up slog of systematic abuse

Explains a lot, don't it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall hearing about Patrick Stewart playing Othello, with an (otherwise) all-black cast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even My Name Is Earl had Earl's list become more crumpled and faded as the show went on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Flash is basically a vaguely speed-themed wizard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And he has to tread slowly because walking normally causes his shoes to catch fire from friction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

You could do like Firefly did and still have the score going, or sounds that make sense, like characters talking via radio.

Was thinking a movie that had the space scenes be where the soundtrack kicks in to make up for everything else, but that's basically 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheKennedys posted:

I've got a guilty-pleasure sort of love for Grey's but goddamn, I'm not even in health care and it was almost embarrassing how blatantly wrong it was in a ton of places

House, MD is almost as bad, from all I hear.

Scrubs is pretty accurate because the medicine usually isn't at all the focus of the plots. And it's realistic in that most medicine is boring routine, and a lot of patients die from chance, error or inevitability.

And if you push around a corpse in a wheelchair, no one will ask you to do anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just in time to resolve his daddy issues!

A good movie can find things to do with characters, generally. Sometimes that means offing them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently Judi Dench and Vin Diesel played D&D together while filming.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Pretty much. There's a whole scene near the start outlining the obvious limits like this - he's only allowed to gamble a certain amount, for instance.

There are still any number of wacky exploitable loopholes to point out. Once they hit a critical mass they will lead to a remake of the movie.

Can they spend money on a lawyer specifically to help them find loopholes?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aleph Null posted:

He couldn't tell anyone about the weird stipulations. It had to look like he was a crazy dumbass to everybody else.

And from a quick look at Wikipedia, the law firm who's in the position to judge the stipulations has a clear incentive to strictly enforce them. Seems like the whole point is the protagonist has no idea what to do with the money and is specifically disallowed from getting any professional help on the matter, so he has to figure it out himself.

I'd put extensive research into how celebrities have blown all their money and emulate it. Join Johnny Depp's wine club... does it count if you buy valuable food and drink and consume them as intended? Medical bills should take of the rest.

I mean, the whole point of these kinds of movies isn't so much to demonstrate how to break the game, but how a more or less identifiable shlub put into an absurd situation deals with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was really hoping/expecting they were going to go with a Solid/Liquid Snake thing, but SPECTRE just got dumber and dumber as it went on with wasted potential. Apparently the third act got rewritten a ton.

I mean, say what you want about Metal Gear, it knows how to make a memorable ending. (final boss, anyway)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brosnan got better as the movies got worse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

A random recommendation took me to a Jimmy Neutron clip (where he's working at a McDonalds knockoff and calculates the prices and VATs in his head because he can) which reminds me - I hate when Genius characters get cocky, because they never consider that they may forget one small stupid thing when running through simple maths in their heads. This is why real scientists write everything down, in case something stupid happens and they can then look back and make sure it wasn't something they did.

It's like, Jimmy, dude, the buttons aren't to make you feel stupid, there a simple way of telling a computer what the customer bought - the computer is programmed to not forget to carry a one, also not using the system means that the prices are likely not getting logged in the system properly. You could end up shortchanging someone because you missed a penny somewhere in the calculation.

This is why I liked Phineas and Ferb - they made thorough plans and preparations, and Ferb ran his maths by Baljeet to ensure he didn't miss anything. They made redundancies because they knew things would gently caress up.

It's like that one episode of Dexter's Lab when the plumber/electrician comes by and after fixing the sink he wanders into the lab, rewiring the whole place to run far better than it did when a 6 year old with no formal training built it. Dexter's smart, but he's reinventing a lot of wheels in his work and missing obvious shortcuts because of no formal training, and that was cool that he was allowed to be that way. It brought to mind that, certainly Mandark was smarter now, but he was also much older - by the time Dexter reaches his age he could possibly have ended up surpassing him.

Jimmy Neutron pretty much is a Dexter's Lab knockoff that doesn't understand what made it great at all from day one.

P&F occasionally implies that Phineas mostly comes up with the ideas, while Ferb handles the technical stuff better. And there's still a few episodes where their creations go wrong (actually nearly all of them) but they generally have redundancies and safety mechanisms, albeit ones often almost as entertainingly ridiculous as the invention itself.

It seems ambiguous how much Dr Doofenshmirtz is actually good at inventions and traps and how much Perry just humours him so he doesn't go off the deep end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cumslut1895 posted:

counterpoint: No amount of gorilla death could ever be enough, in any movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall Nic Cage in Ghost Rider sounding almost like an Elvis impersonator.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gorilla Salad posted:

So now you're in a car with no brakes and no steering?

I assume you're assuming the car has power steering?

Makes me wonder about real life cases of brakes going out. Usually if it's a mechanical failure it's the kind of thing that happens at speed because that's when the brakes are under the most stress, right? (I don't know anything about cars)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently Pixar artists found the headlights-as-eyes idea disturbing, to the point where they had a body horror joke in Cars 2 with a car whose eyes were their headlights instead of their windshield.

A little odd given The Brave Little Toaster did it with few complaints. The 'Worthless' musical sequence was 'shot' with that in mind, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It does kinda make sense given using the Megazord to take out some clown monster running around a theme park or whatever is probably going to cause more collateral damage than the monster, at least until Rita activates her bigulator.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much everyone who came to learn magic seemed to be someone who, like Strange, had run out of all other options but to believe in magic, or otherwise had nowhere else to go, most of them probably had nearly all the same problems he did. The difference being, as established, Stephen Strange is a genius workaholic when motivated who's already mastered an incredibly difficult job, and reads voraciously.

On the TaleSpin note, Baloo seemed to be cast as someone who really liked flying and was really good at it, but gave the bare minimum of effort into everything else, and was barely literate on top of that, it's mentioned he never finished grade school. (which may not be uncommon in Cape Suzette and the time setting) Also, the new DuckTales cartoon has mention of Cape Suzette, St Canard and Spoonerville in the first episode, and the creators have mentioned everything from the Disney Afternoon is fair game except for Rescue Rangers (due to a movie in the works which may or may not ever see the light of day) and Mickey himself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems kinda dumb if that wasn't supposed to be a reference to Iron Man 2 or Civil War. Maybe that was the original intention but the timeline didn't suit it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Can't check right now but I thought the sequence in Iron Man 2 showed off-brand armors from all around the globe so it would be pretty weird to have them show up in an American hospital.

The Hammer suit being mentioned was by an American private military contractor, who got the bright idea to design it for a 360 degree waist pivot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is that any better nowadays they can just use CG?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So it turns out Shadows of Mordor was actually pretty restrained.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

I think she's said she specifically wanted to be a weird alien that looked nothing like her - makes sense to me. You can play characters that look like you in any movie, why waste your shot at being in Star Wars and just play another human?

IIRC, something similar tends to happen with Star Trek, hence Iggy Pop the Vorta.

Daniel Craig the Stormtrooper is extra funny given his scene basically has Rey stuck in a Bond Villain trap.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, its literally just handwaved, just like how Mace Windu's all "Im going to confront the emperor at night in his office/home with no witnesses and if he doesnt come with I'll try to murder him"

This plan cannot fail or bacmfire! :downs:

It makes a lot of sense to consider that the Jedi literally have no idea what they're up against with the Sith.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Almost everyone in an imperial navy uniform, the emperor, a bunch more that I can't immediately think of. There, she's the emperors secret kid. Done.

TenCentFang posted:

Leia did, sometimes.

To nerd for a bit here, it seems implied that the British accent is the 'posh' human accent of the Star Wars galaxy, associated with Coruscant and the Senate. Leia's accent switches because she's used to fitting in with polite diplomatic society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think it's exasperation that fan theories are rarely particularly clever and tend to retread the same grounds of rehashing earlier ideas from the franchise, or the age old "its all a dream/hallucination/purgatory."

Fan theories are fun when they actually genuinely add something and make thinking about a work more interesting, the bad ones are the ones that basically invalidate any investment in it beyond a point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The word 'ewok' is never spoken in any of the Star Wars films. It's pretty hard to separate the movie's text from the marketing and fancruft at this point.

Probably doesn't help that the Jedi and Sith are presented with vaguely Eastern mysticism implying the need for balance and the acceptance of all aspects of existence for harmony, but it turns out it's just God and the Devil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Taeke posted:

I've seen this discussed on more occasions and because I'm not all that familiar with Star Wars, aside from casually enjoying the franchise, it's always left me wondering.

Is it ever explicitly made clear he means there's always exactly 2 baddies, no more? Or is it more of a if you find the one there's the other too somewhere.

The idea is basically that the Sith is a tradition, and thus there's always gotta be a teacher and someone to teach. And it seems implied to be something of a prophecy on Yoda's part, given it's a literal rule of the Sith. (The backstory goes that the Sith as an empire collapse hilariously fast because they murder each other for power; having only two means that it's just the student killing the teacher when they've learned everything, like cannibalistic leapfrog) The Dark Side doesn't let people share power.

Obviously the supplementary material immediately adds ten zillion more students to it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

The first two X-Men movies are pretty good (though the first is a bit slow). The third is an awful mess. Origins: Wolverine is real bad, First Class is good. Days of Future Past is good fun, I liked how it didn't bother with a ton of exposition about the characters and just dove into the story. Can't speak for any of the others as I've not seen them.

Pretty much this, and also Deadpool is decent though pretty periphery to things (and notes it) and doesn't really hold up as well on rewatch, and Logan is great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wonder Woman has quite the easter egg for Blackfoot speakers. (which is apparently a couple thousand people?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember a comments discussion on the A.V. Club some years ago where there was one guy who got irrationally angry at the Buffy episode "Normal Again" (the one where a demon makes her hallucinate that she's a normal girl in a mental hospital and her adventures as the Slayer are all in her head) because he seemed to believe that all fiction exists in this aether and that no writer actually "creates" anything but rather just "discovers" it, so this episode contradicted Buffy's "real" life.

The "It was all just a dream!" angle is more lazy than anything. I wonder how folks in 1988 took the finale of St. Elsewhere.

Reminded of the Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode which suggested that, in a mind-screwy way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

She-Hulk's own series originally revolved around dealing with legal shenanigans with superheroes, and also that Marvel Comics exist in-universe and can be submitted as evidence. It got a lil weird. And occasionally mixing it up with Matt Murdock. (and Phoenix Wright in MvC3)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

zoux posted:

People got really mad about that episode because it suggested that the all events of Star Trek are actually fiction written by a person from mundane Earth. Which of course that's exactly what they are.

They actually were considering having the series end with Benny Russel watching a production of his work being made.

Interestingly, the implication is that Sisko is a dream of Russel, and Russel is also a dream of Sisko.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Year One, the Long Halloween and Dark Victory are basically a tale of how traditional mob families in Gotham start collapsing and are overtaken by costumed, gimmicky freaks not long after Batman appears on the scene. With the Joker possibly contributing, I forget the details. BTAS has something similar, with the first two seasons basically having a subtle arc of the fall of traditional organised crime and corrupt executives, and the rise of costumed supervillains. (interestingly, by the end of Justice League, the totally-not Legion of Doom basically formed as a supervillain mob because with the Justice League having gotten as big and organised as it is the supervillains themselves can't operate solo any more without getting their asses kicked)

The Joker as a functional mob boss is kinda implied to be his side gig in most incarnations which he uses to get the funding and manpower for his destructive whims. He does fairly well at it, what with having absolutely no scruples, and tending to recruit and command the fanatical loyalty of sociopaths and the mentally ill, and probably pays well given he doesn't really care about money. (most of the time, Joker's Millions being hilarious aside) Actually expanding his operation is another question, though it's well established that the Joker basically adopts whatever personality suits him at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They really need to make a supervillain crime sandbox. Saint's Row got close but kinda skipped a few steps and got tonally vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall reading that half the reason the X-Men exist is because they wanted a quick and easy way to have superheroes and supervillains without need of an origin story justification, so they can just say 'they're a mutant'.

Villain origin stories aren't quite as overdone as hero ones if only because there's generally more villains, so you don't have to adapt the same ones every time. Depends on exactly how they do it, of course.

I'm still amazed that Homecoming managed to make the Vulture really interesting and make his name entirely fitting. Though I may just be a sucker for the garage X-COM dealio.