Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The worst part of Blood of Zeus was the godawful bargain basement animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm on a Zemekis movie binge and I just rewatched Beowulf. Why in the world does Grendel's mother, a completely naked monster woman, still have stiletto heels. Like as a natural part of her body. A thousand years before stiletto heels were invented, and six hundred years before high-heeled boots were even a thing.

It's not like the movie is high art but come on.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cryomancer posted:

IIMM: Whenever I use soap, I rinse it off. So when dudes finish shaving and just wipe shaving cream off dry with a towel, it irks.

They also rarely finish shaving. There are usually big patches of shaving cream left on their faces where they didn't shave. It makes me second-hand anxious about having a whisker patch for the rest of the day.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Disenchantment also falls into the weird category of narrative where the main character rebels against the thing they are ostensibly being forced to do, but then goes on to face zero consequences for not doing it thus showing they were never being forced to do it in the first place.

Also food and drink on TV is always bad. They just push their food around their plate instead of eating. And once you notice the generic prop cups that obviously don't have any ice or liquid in them it's something you can't un-notice.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Morpheus posted:

My partner recently started watching all of the CW's Flash, as something to just have on in the background, and as someone who watched the first and most of the second seasons, I had forgotten how how absolute poo poo the Flash is at being the 'world's fastest man'. Literally every speedster is faster than him. Different versions of himself are faster. Alternate universe speedsters are faster. The person he brings onto the team, a new speedster who barely knows poo poo and hasn't trained at all, is faster.

Also they play really fast and loose with how fast the Flash really is. Sometimes he can run to another continent in a second. Sometimes he struggles to catch up to a plane. Other times he is barely faster than the goon he is fighting, who might not even have speed powers.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Aphrodite posted:

The general audience are idiots and those explanations are necessary.

I don't know, I got through 3 seasons and I despised everyone on screen.

Except Joe. You're doing great, Joe.

Any negative or logical inconsistency about moving at superspeed is explained by the Speed Force.

That's even canon. "Why can the Flash d-" Speed Force. It doesn't matter. Speed Force.

How in the world can someone watch popcorn cotton-candy tv like cw superhero shows and end up hating everyone involved

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaunab posted:

I hated everyone on Arrow by the time I finished the second season and stopped watching. Everyone just became teenagers emotionally.

I loved their team though. Who could forget Owns Gun, Also Owns Gun, or The Balls.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I love The Quick and the Dead despite it being a really stupid movie. Sam Raimi did a really enjoyable western and I wish he'd do it again.

But Sharon Stone and Russel Crowe were terribly miscast or poorly directed or both. Both performances are wooden and serious while everyone else is hooting and chewing the scenery like cartoon characters, which is the right tone for the movie.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think the original Predator's hotpants/fishnet bodysuit ensemble implied his primary occupation wasn't hunter.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I've been trying to figure out why Seinfeld is so hit or miss and I think I have it figured out. The quality of the episodes is inversely proportional to the number of straight man roles in the episode (the comedy term not the sexuality term). The show is at it's worst when you have 3+ characters playing straight - Jerry, Elaine, and usually one romantic interest are the ones just sarcastically observing the hijinx of the wacky characters. The show is at its best when there are no straight men - for instance in The Chicken Roaster, where all four main characters are being absurd.

The same is true for Curb Your Enthusiasm. When Cheryl or Richard are tut-tutting Larry the show kind of drags, but when it's just Larry or all the main characters being lovely at once the show really sings.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That Italian Guy posted:

I have watched some of Alice in Borderland on Netflix and it's been amazing how it managed to do a "The Walking Dead" speedrun by going from "this is interesting!" to "oh my good this is sooo booooring" in the span of a 3-4 episodes. As soon as they get in contact with the Mad Hatter and his people the show goes from "weird The Cube with Japanese teens" to "soporific YA talking heads with no pacing". The dialogues are so unnecessarily slow that even after upping the speed to 1.25 they still feel sluggish at point; and with the way everyone...takes...so...many...pauses...upping the speed makes the characters converse at a somewhat normal speed. Even the voices are so...deeply...angsty...that they don't seem weird when sped up (although I'm not a Japanese speaker, so that helps). The way people move is the only indication that something's off in 90% of the dialogues - although most dialogues are "people standing" or "people sitting in front of each other", so it's not evident most of the time. I made it 5 episodes in then I decided it was too much slog for the sporadic weird scene.

E: spelling.

It takes a special kind of talent to make a premise that interesting so completely dull. I couldn't finish it either.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I always saw the show as a longform examination of Raymond's burden living a catholic life in which divorcing his horrible wife isn't an option for cultural reasons. Everyone in his life is terrible, a burden, or a terrible burden he can never escape. Suburban existential horror.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

BrigadierSensible posted:

On the fat man/hot wife" dichotomy:

Has that ever been gender-swapped? I.E. you have a normal looking woman married to a really hot man? Or I suppose a I love Lucy situation with the calm and competent handsome husband being married to a wacky funny woman-child of a wife who is beneath him? (Lucile Ball is awesome both as a real woman and her character)

What are some sitcoms/TV shows/movies with this trope?

I think that would come off as pretty offensive, since the fat man/hot wife depends heavily on the husband being a complete loser buffoon (which is where the comedy comes from) and the wife being a supernaturally intelligent and conventionally attractive authority figure with real power over the husband.

I think "dumb, fat wife consistently fucks up everything she tries while a handsome muscleman mocks her as she tries to apologize" wouldn't exactly fly in any era.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I could have sworn there was an older movie I saw on dvd that had folks speaking a language the protagonist did not understand, but if you turned on the subtitles it had them translated. The audience was not intended to know what the people were saying but got to see it anyway.

I'm not finding anything about it now that I'm looking for it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Coming 2 America gave me the same feeling ad Bill and Ted Face the Music. They both trade on being sequels to popular movies in the most literal sense - like there's only so much "hey remember this guys" you can see at once before watching something else.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

In the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme, why does Will Smith spend twice the time talking about his cab ride than any other subject?

Introduction: 1 verse
Description of his past life in Philadelphia: 1 verse
The conflict that led to escaping a dangerous home situation: 1 verse
Whistling for a cab and that specific cab ride: 2 verses

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It also has one of my biggest movie peeves where most dialogue you can barely hear, then it cuts to something that will make your ears bleed right after you turn it up to hear what the idiots are saying.

Why is this not a solved problem at this point in consumer electronics

Everyone hates it and there's no magic bullet solution. Supposedly you can use a 5.1 surround system and increase the volume to the center speaker because that's where most of the dialogue comes from but that doesn't work all the time and also a lot of people use sound bars or their regular tv speakers.

I remember back in the 90s I had a 24" RCA tv that had an option that solved it. It was called automatic volume leveling system and it just worked. No tv I've had since then has done anything like it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I watched Wine Country last night and of course it was awful, but whatever it's a straight-to-streaming no-budget SNL comedy. Nobody was expecting much.

But the writing is so nonsensical I would believe it was written by one of those deep learning AIs. They set up the six main characters to have story arcs, but only one does. And it's very minor, and not something the audience would care about (uh oh I'm too rich for brunch). All the rest either peter out without being resolved or resolve in a way that is completely unrelated to the established story.

The scene-to-scene flow is bonkers. Like one of the ladies has a crush on an artist so they all go to her art show. The scene ends up with all of them confronting a room full of millennials (actully zoomers but the target audience is too old to know the difference) about their generational differences, and they all stand up and clap. Another scene has them eating out at a restaurant and they get up to sing and do weird call-and-response comedy with the staff, the response to which is also everyone standing up and clapping. In yet another scene of the characters walking down the street to talk/bond, one of them breaks into a sprint and does parkour down the sidewalk. In an outdoor scene, one character is bitten by a snake so they all have to throw themselves down a hill for no reason. There are a half dozen dancing scenes where the cast dances awkwardly to music from when they were younger - and that is the whole scene. Like it doesn't arise from any organic situation.

The whole thing is a completely bizarre movie where causality no longer applies. Anything can happen in response to any other thing.

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Apr 29, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That Italian Guy posted:

Watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix and it's quite alright, although a bit too much YA for my taste.

A bland teenage girl is the Chosen One and has to decide between two hunks? What a shock

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Seriously if I owned a time machine going back and preventing Wuthering Heights from ever being written would be on my to-do list.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Morpheus posted:

Jenny is not a terrible person or whatever but a terrible past does not excuse being a bad person. It may be a reason, but it is not an excuse.

Still, despite her real poo poo decisions, she's not a terrible person.

I think the whole question of whether she was terrible or not could have been avoided if her character came back to stay before she needed someone to take care of her and her child.

As it was written it leaves the question open so people project their own experiences on it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If I were Luke Skywalker I would be super pissed when I found out about how things played out when I was a baby

Like Obi Wan could have hidden both of them anywhere, but Leia got to be royalty on a nice planet while Luke got stuck living in a literal hole in the desert on the shittiest planet imaginable

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Maybe we've all been analyzing these star wars using a false assumption

Maybe everyone in a galaxy far far away is real dumb

Just dumb as hell, like Rey is a dumb kid who hands a lightsaber to old Luke who (again, just dumb as gently caress) throws it away because he mistook it for a fish or something

Maybe Luke got stuck on Tatooine because Obi Wan was stupid as poo poo and bought a desert time share in space florida

Maybe the medical droid said amidala died of a broken heart because it was programmed with the combined medical knowledge of the top ten dumbest doctors in the galaxy

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Len posted:

After reading the internet tell me that Netflix Cowboy Bebop was going to be garbage and the worst thing ever I feel disappointed that it's fine

I think it's fine if you don't listen to any dialogue and ignore Daniella Pineda's monumentally terrible performance

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Coffee And Pie posted:

Friends has its moments, is my unpopular opinion. For a lot of people, mostly pleasant is enough.

I like Friends but it has the worst editing I have ever seen. It's distractingly bad once you notice it

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Resurrections proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the decade+ of memes about Keanu not aging are not accurate

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Whoever said it felt like Matrix fan fiction was dead on

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Started watching Pam and Tommy on Hulu

I feel like the show might have a tone problem

I mean the whiplash between an emotional depiction of child abuse and closeup of Tommy Lee's dick which is voiced by Jason Mantzoukas is significant

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Did they ever adjust Harley's backstory to explain why her costume is "LA race rat"?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

CODA is a great movie that absolutely deserved best picture

But I can't help but think the story was both unrealistic and borderline insulting. The conflict is that her fishing family needs her to continue fishing but she wants to go to music school right then and there after a single semester in choir. Like it would mean immediate financial ruin for her family if she went then. They would have to sell the boat and begin new careers as adults with no education or training outside of fishing. Even a single semester delay would mean that their new business could turn a profit and a hearing but asl-fluent deck hand could be hired (this is established as a difficult thing to find). Everything would be fine with a minor delay, but the main character is so entitled that she set off a financial nuclear bomb so she could get what she wanted now

The insulting part is that lots and lots of people have to put their dreams off forever to fulfill real world obligations. That's not a bad thing - it's just reality for a bunch of folks

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FFT posted:

Dunno, that does seem like a bad thing.

(guessing you mean it more like "that doesn't make them bad people" though)

Yeah, I guess I meant that it doesn't mean that there was a failure on anyone's part

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FreudianSlippers posted:

If I was Highlander Immortal I would simply invest in a iron gorget and be functionally unstoppable.

"Three thousand years I have borne this burden. I tire and wish to lay it down."

- you, trying to eat a colorado omelette at Denny's with a giant fuckoff gorget on

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Kattan has a creepy manic vibe in all his roles and it turns out it's not an act

The guy is really like that

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Indiana Jones (the character) is canonically dumb as a brick

And also an implied pedo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If I steal bones and nonce all night long it's a

Family tradition

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

In The Addams Family (1991), Craven adopts a German accent to disguise herself as Dr. Penderschloss in the scheme to rob the Addamses. But the family had never met her before and had no reason to expect a German person. There was no advantage for her to go through the trouble of maintaining an accent for the extended visit

I just noticed this among a bunch of other nonsense, but that movie is still premium

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also it was kind of hackish to go back to the "uh oh fester trouble" well for the second Addams movie

(Addams Family Values is super underrated)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Watching through Ozark for the first time and dang the dropoff in quality between the second and third seasons is dire. Still good, but holy poo poo was this season made during a writer's strike?

Also if you turned this show into a drinking game where you took a shot every time Laura Linney did a smirk or eyebrow raise after a sentence I think you would be dead halfway through any randomly chosen episode

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It fits into the garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Breetai posted:

At least they can die, dude.

Like, at least that's an option.

I wonder what the in-universe explanation for the cronenberg toys' existence is

Like the crab baby is a baby doll head glued to erector set stuff, and it works. Is it a new toy with a new personality? Did it keep the consciousness of the baby doll? Given the lack of a brain, is a toy's head the locus of conciousness? If that is the case, how is an erector set crane with barbie legs moving around? Also, it seems like attaching diy parts to a toy makes those parts work as part of their body - could any other toy build their own body parts?