Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

muscles like this! posted:

It is kind of funny how amazing Andor turned out to be because it definitely sounded like a dumb idea to begin with. Turns out high quality acting, writing and production makes a good show. Who knew?

It made me think big thoughts about how Lucas' first project was THX 1138 which was a weird arty project about space prison and that worked out good for him in the end.

Lot of prisons in space though. Have a friend catching up on The 100 and they're getting to the part where the show should have ended but got picked up again and a prison just shows up out of space and revitalizes their CW sex-based ecology/economy.

Star Wars seemed to have success from splitting the atom of not having space jail be too sexy but practically omnipresent in the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

And why do the rebels wear that orange gear?

It's all there in the subtext maaaaan

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Cowslips Warren posted:

You ever talk to someone who clearly never really watched the show or movie in question?

Chatting with someone about Mad Men, and the dude asked why Dick took the dogtags in Korea. Cause did he really need to? Couldn't he just tell people he was Don Draper? Why take the tags? Doesn't make any sense, he didn't need the dogtags with someone else's name.

Because you need proof? You can't just namedrop and say you're a person. The dogtags made it look real.

For Handmaid's Tale, person kept asking what about childfree women. Like if you didn't want kids, wouldn't it be a great side story in Gilead? Like if you were childfree before and after the takeover?

Said person could not loving understand that in Gilead, women are literal chattel. You don't have a choice. There is no childfree. Did you even watch a single loving episode to get the most base understanding of the show?

Thanks to reality no American will need to watch (or read, lol) Handmaid’s Tale to get this for much longer.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

e;fb ^^^

Ommin posted:

I have this very foggy memory of someone catching some fish hooks in their face, but it could have been from a completely different movie. That's a good find though, never thought about it.

I also had no idea about the mom being a fashion designer. That could have warranted a quick mention. Also explains that house and taking an entire extended family to Paris for Christmas, if both parents have incredible jobs. I get it though, it's not really relevant to the comedy. Do they ever mention the dad's job either?

Eh, that was just the 90s. Anyone could go to Paris from the midwest just for a lark.

Nowadays people act like it's some big deal thing but all through the post war period people would just travel from the states to Europe to soak up culture but also laugh at the backwardness of the electricals and plumbing.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh also just sayin if you liked home alone traps you should watch s5 of fargo holy moly

I'm waiting for it all to backfire. Something about hammers hearken back to a murder in S1. Not predicting good things there.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Maybe they didn't want to put "Betelgeuse" on the VHS cover because they assumed audiences are dumb?

Kind of like how Charlie and the Chocolate Factory became Willy Wonka because Charlie was the guy killing GI Joe over in Vietnam at the time.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mel Gibson was a beloved icon until...the drunk driving incident with Sugar Tits? Or did something else happen before that?

https://twitter.com/alfonsonation/status/1736581109746458633
Voice of our childhoods got an award.

Anyone else worried these days that some actor you love, like Peter Cullen, or Mr. Rogers or Robin Williams, both of who avoided it, has some horrible poo poo that can come out any day now? Bill Cosby is still loved by a lot of weird loving boomers I know, and they also like Mel Gibson (oddly enough most of them find Tom Cruise annoying but a "great actor.").

If Bill Watterson isn't a creep I'm good.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Pilchenstein posted:

You should watch When The Wind Blows, which is another classic in the "of course kids will enjoy this, it's a cartoon" genre :v:

Yeah and I guess Grave of the Fireflies. It’s in that iffy area of “you wouldn’t have seen it if it weren’t animated” but don’t show it to kids unless you want pale faces and sunken eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Ommin posted:

Walter Peck did nothing wrong.

In the new movie there is a whole Ghostbusters megacorp with R&D and scientists. I was under the impression that ghosts were a known thing since the original movie and had basically been reduced to a pest control complaint.

As far as establishing a "universe" they'e in a weird place where they killed Bill Murray but revived Harold Ramis. And Muray I think.

I haven't seen the new cool one.

Oh and yeah I'm pro government oversite but not at the cost of just slamming the lid open on the ghost storage machine. That's loving stupid.