Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Someone brought up Firefly earlier. One thing that's always bugged me is when Inara's checking her messages in Shindig--maybe I'm missing something, but when the scene begins she's pretty clearly deleting/listening to recorded messages. Then she comes to Atherton's message, and suddenly she's talking to it like it's a live call or something, at least until Mal barges in, at which point she pauses the video and drops the lace over it.

She might have gotten a live call while receiving messages and put him on hold, but it really just looks like Atherton just sent her a message with conversational pauses for some reason, and she talked to it like a weirdo.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 00:51 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The Matrix's engine was built by Bethesda

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kruller posted:

If it is incredibly important for someone to answer the call you are about to make, without fail the person you are calling will have their phone in another room and on vibrate. At no point will the person ever have a ringer turned on on their phone, or have their phone on them. Also, the vibrate function on their phone is the weakest, quietest vibrate in existence.

If the person happens to have their ringer turned on, they will be in the shower.

This is basically my relationship with my phone :shobon:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Rubber bullets. Honest.

It's been a while since I watched the Dark Knight, but I seem to remember the batpod's guns were fairly large caliber, also he was blowing up cars (good thing he didn't blow up the car the kids were in! It's not like he was checking them before opening fire)

But even if they were rubber bullets, I feel like their sheer size would make them more than capable of taking someone's head off

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
incidentally there's a really good Ask Me About Prison thread in Ask/Tell, we could direct "science fiction prisons as commentary" questions to them instead

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Well technically speaking it's not foolproof, the sorting hat was gonna put Harry in Slytherin before his frantic child murmuring convinced it to put him in Gryffindor. I wonder what would've happened. I'm sure there are a ton of fanfics out there on the subject. :v:

I saw a really cool post that talked about this. It had something to do with how Harry belonged in Slytherin, Hermione in Ravenclaw, and Ron in Hufflepuff, but they all ended up in Gryffindor because that house's defining trait is bravery and anyone can choose to be brave.

I've only watched the first 5 movies and never read the books, so no clue if that's on point or baseless fanwank, but it sounds great to me.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Feb 27, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nexus6 posted:

Do you really think at 10 Harry would forget all his comforts from the muggle world?

bruh he was abused and lived under stairs

But I def take your point and agree. On the other hand, I think it's one of those things that you have to be willing to handwave as "just cuz/that's how it works in this world" because there really isn't a great explanation

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

I always thought the love potions were really loving creepy, especially when, you know, throw in the shapeshifting spells and memory erasing and rape is so easy. gently caress alive, when they figured out that love potion and rape was how Voldemort was loving conceived, why didn't someone say hey, no more love potions, you guys, this poo poo is bad!

ahahahaha oh god you just reminded me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xriseKBnCk

one of my guiltiest pleasures. If you can get past the delivery and autotune this is probably the single funniest HP song around

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Feb 27, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

The dog's name was Max, not Wolfie :ssh:

Terminator spotted

gently caress

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My friends and I have had a running gag for years about Air Bud 8: Beagle Guardian where the entire premise is "Well there's no law saying a dog CAN'T be a legal guardian!" I forget how the kids are orphaned tho

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dr_Amazing posted:

There has to be a law about that.

I dunno, until the whole Mr. Hands thing Washington didn't have any bestiality laws soooooo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

You sound like one of my RL acquaintances who gets upset about "pandering to feminists" when things like female Ghostbusters happen

Motivations aside, you ever think that Asian audiences and people might actually find it nice to see someone like themselves represented on the big screen? Why does seeing an Asian on screen even register in your mind as "a thing"?

edit: was missing a word

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Mar 16, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

syscall girl posted:

I think having things tuned towards the cultural mores and the bland regressive palette of the Chinese authorities (which I'm sure is almost as bad and confusing as the MPAA) will tend to make them suck just that much more.

I'm not interested in the specific details of the examples used. I never watched Karate Kid or the new Red Dawn, and I'm with the other poster in that Battleship and Pacific Rim are really weird ones to notice Asian pandering in. I'm curious what other examples of Asian pandering Pook could provide.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Okay, I see what y'all are referring to and that's totally fair. I've noticed it in a couple movies, but didn't realize it was becoming an actual thing.

Regardless, Pook, you can't be upset by the fact that everyone's jumping on you for a couple of those examples. Pacific Rim? Yeah you're gonna get a decent amount of justifiable side-eye for that one cuz it sounds like you started noticing this, and then started actively looking for it anywhere you saw almond-shaped eyes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

Regarding Pacific Rim, I remember reading that the main reason the big fight was in Hong Kong was because of partial Chinese funding and an attempt to appeal to that market.

Full disclosure, I was in Hong Kong when that movie came out so I may be remembering things influenced by my environment. Also how the movie was insultingly dumb at some points, such as them sharing a brain but her somehow hiding the arm sword reeked of anime fan service. Of course that may be less market pandering then it is eye-roll inducing.

That's fair. The sword-arm thing though was because the movie's basically live-action sentai, if that helps the decision make more sense.

EDIT: also re: the anime fan service, that's true, but Pacific Rim is basically Anime Fanservice: The Movie

Anyway I'm done poking at this subject haha, I def learned something new and interesting and will be keeping an eye out for this kind of thing. Pandering to the Chinese market is pretty annoying (but rationally so imo).

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Mar 16, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Novum posted:

Your not supposed to call them that.

we're just trying to take it back man, that's our word

my wife uses this term a lot and I'm totally stealing your joke to use on her next time she does it ahahahahahaha

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't being ironic or sarcastic. I was saying literally "seriously, I forgot, but yes they do that. Good point."

Holy poo poo you guys there was no sarcasm in that post.

The first part was a concession "Oh, I forgot they do that, you're right."

What is this, some kind of meta-sarcasm?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I saw a clip of the show, and it bugged me. It was some sort of sword fight and one guy sliced upwards into another guy's face, and cut the front part of his head off.

Cool video effect, but it was ruined for me when the body fell to its knees and the brain slid out of the front hole. That's not how brains work. They are still connected to the spinal cord.

Anyway, that's my irrational irritation at that show.

Are you thinking of Equilibrium, that final fight between Bale/Diggs?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shwqa posted:

Yeah that has been a really common trend in video games for a while now. It gives the audience a glimpse of what is going to come. To hook you so that the build up doesn't bore you. Though I think that makes more sense for a game when the build up could be 3-4 hours.

In medias res can be a really great storytelling tool, but a more and more media seems to be leaning into it really hard.

But for games it's pretty great. I wouldn't mind a re-release of FFVII that starts you out at the Shin-Ra building so I can just do that part then gtfo of Midgar within a couple hours, instead of however long it takes (way too long)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Midnight Raider posted:

Really? Midgar was the best part of the game, and most people I know wish more of the game had taken place there.

Zaphod42 posted:

Midgar is the best part of the game and it kinda unravels from there so you're crazy.

Maybe it was, but I've played it through over a dozen times or so. After the 4th or 5th run, the exact-sameyness of the Midgar rails got real old and I just saw it as an obstacle towards getting out into the open-ish world where I could start breeding chocobos n killing time at the Golden Saucer n poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Len posted:

The obvious solution would be to just keep a save right after Midgar.

HOW DID I NEVER loving THINK OF THIS

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Whitewashing

Prince of Persia was Jake Gyllenhaal? :doh: I don't need 20 years for that to be cringe.

Guaranteed that whitewashing will be the Big One for our generation's films. Like you touched on, it's already cringeworthy and it's happening right now. Imagine in 20-30 years when one of our kids asks why a Japanese actor is playing Chinese, Koreans, etc. or any other combination thereof. Or why anyone gave the slightest of shits that Nick Fury/maybe Spiderman/any movie character wasn't white. Etc. etc.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

Don't blame Hollywood for whitewashing, blame the movie viewing public

Or do like I do, and blame both. Also what Zaphod42 said.

edit: while it's not a movie, I don't wanna be overly negative in this thread, so I def wanna point out Fresh Off the Boat as an amazing example of nonwhite casting that also happens to be a great show.

I can't think of any movies off the top of my head right now to throw into the Good Examples pile. Actually wait, Pacific Rim was pretty great for that imo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Android Bicyclist posted:

Since Rob Schneider is half Filipino, can you really call that stereotype "yellowface?"

Yes, you moron.

edit: this is actually pretty relevant now--a pretty interesting top 25 list of Hollywood yellowface performances: http://www.asianweek.com/top-25-yellow-face-performance-25to21/

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Apr 1, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

I'm almost positive they're setting up a connection between Luke and Rey for the sole reason that they want a tone reversed callback scene in the 2nd one where Luke says "I am your father" and instead of it being horrifying it's heartfelt. That's basically Disney: A bit hacky and you can see it coming miles away, but it'll work anyway because people eat up that kind of thing.

LUKE: "No, Rey... I am your father."
REY: "That's not true! That's impossible!" *jumps 500 feet into the sky*

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Not sure why it's so hard to believe. "it was an accident, whoops" seems less plausible than "did it for authenticity" in this case. This is QT we're talking about.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MariusLecter posted:

In One Punch Man the main character is super overpowered and has slain countless of the most dangerous monsters but no one knows who he is. Not even the super hero organization executives or any of it's members from top to bottom. That's ridiculous.

There's one or two. King knows who Saitama is IIRC

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tunicate posted:

A lovely explanation is worse than no explanation.

Exactly. I would've preferred if we found out that the xenomorphs evolved to be that way on some planet that was insanely, unbelievably hostile. And that their mimicry + large clutches of eggs was a survival mechanism that evolved in response to not actually being the apex predator in their environment.

But nope

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Y'know, I used to think people were being unfairly mean to Tiggum and that he wasn't nearly as dense as his reputation made him out to be, but I'm beginning to get it now.

I mean, from the first couple paragraphs he seems to be baffled by the idea that someone could watch and like the first three Marvel shows, but not like Iron Fist. It's all or nothing, apparently, in Tiggum's world.

Huh.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Jun 10, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

How did this thread get it's title? Im sorry if that keeps getting asked.

I posted it in this thread a good while back during a discussion of the Matrix

Pussy Quipped posted:

So in The Matrix, why do the Agents have such lovely aim? They aren't even human! They are literally sentient computer programs so you would think as part of their programming they would have perfect aim with a firearm. The machines would never have to worry about red pills because Smith could just cap fuckers from 200 yards out.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I love the idea of Agents just being glorified aimbots and wall hackers.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, why was it a big deal in the second/third one that Smith "came back"?

He's a loving computer program, why wouldn't he have a backup? I'll allow that Neo hosed up his file system so bad that a simple "un-delete" wouldn't work, but surely this super advanced AI is taking nightly backups, yes?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The Matrix's engine was built by Bethesda

although after a couple years of looking at it the phrasing bothers me now and I wish I'd said "Bethesda built the Matrix" or something less awkward sounding

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

That's kind of one of the biggest plot points of the movie

for a second I thought I was reading the Subtle Movie Moments thread

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I heard we were gushing about how much we love Bryan Cranston's acting in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot_V7Q8a6yc

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tunicate posted:

You could load the air bags with shrapnel and high explosives

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MariusLecter posted:

Mongolians didn't spend the previous thousands of years of human history predating on other humans though.

Even if we made a White-Away it still wouldn't be cool

edit: actually... :thunk:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

starkebn posted:

Guys, they're not creatures, they're CGI toons. They don't have to be rational.

Counterpoint

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aleph Null posted:

I fail to see how this is any more disturbing that a similar cut-away of a human head would be.

I don't think it's meant to be?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SiKboy posted:

In the cars universe, when a clown car opens its doors, who comes spilling out?

Plot twist: the Jerry Lewis clown car uses his powers to smuggle others out of the car concentration camp

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sixth and maimed posted:

There's that but the novel also mentions how Pennywise controls the town as in manipulating adults to ignore things. In one part of the book, one of the kids (forgot which but I think it was Bev), she mentions how she was being attacked on the street and an adult that was seeing the scene just got up from his porch, folded his newspaper and went inside. There's other stuff like that, too.

Right, but that kind of thing was in service to the overall theme of adults not noticing/caring what's going on with the kids. I mean that kind of thing happens all the time in real life (kid getting abused/beaten up/whatever, an adult who clearly sees it decides to ignore it), Pennywise just provided a supernatural explanation for it happening the way it did in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Get ready for more of Bojack constantly making the worst loving choices, sometimes played for laughs

:smith: