Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Robokomodo posted:

Someone who has the movie "Gladiator" explain a scene to me. When the troops are about to execute Russell Crowe in the beginning they go about it by stabbing downward through his neck. Crowe is able to escape by headbutting the tip of the blade, causing the sword to hit the guy in the face? Watch that scene and explain how that happens and why he doesn't execute himself doing it.

He doesn't do that. It's really quick but when the soldier lifts his arms up, Maximus stands up and headbutts him in the chin with the back of his head. So basically he stands up between the guy and his outstretched hands holding the sword.

The real bitch of that scene is when he swings the blade that he's grabbed while cuffed and hits the other soldier with it like a bat...while holding the blade. Then turns around and stabs the original guy with it. Somehow he manages not to chop his hands off, much less cut them up. I don't know how sharp a Gladius is intended to be, maybe the edges are dull and just the tip is sharp but drat son.

Scene in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k71x-TmobGo

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 15:46 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Snowpiercer: The entire end of the movie. Curtis stops the engine, wrecking the train and killing everyone on board. Except for an ~18 year old girl and a ~5 year old boy who have never been off the train. They are literally the only people left alive on earth at this point. Now what? They walk off the train and see a polar bear (who I half expected to hold up a Coke and smile) and then it fades to black. There's no way they end up living or repopulating the earth. This movie left me with so many questions.

How did it get so many positive reviews?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious. It's not that we ruined earth's ability to sustain life, it's that we ruined its ability to sustain us. Life goes on without us.

Okay fair enough but when the whole plot is We're tired of being oppressed, we need to take over the engine! Then, you kill everyone on board it loses a little steam. (heh)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Niagra falls is roughly 170 feet tall, for reference.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Door Frame posted:

This is going to be especially petty, but are most actresses afraid of bras? I always see nipples poking through shirts in movies in a setting that would generally be inappropriate to be bra-less. I know that there is no underwear in space and I wouldn't care if she went topless if it fit her character, but this is that one little thing that always makes me stop and say, "professional and/or athletic women generally wear bras to work or on first dates."
Maybe it's a conservative Midwest thing that isn't generally observed on the coasts, but it bugs me enough to post about it

Think about it real hard for a second and tell me why an actress in a movie where her wardrobe is picked for her wouldn't be wearing a bra. Big hint: It has nothing to do with regional styling.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fishy Joe posted:

Is the answer Titties?

The answer is always titties.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr Scoofles posted:

What did he do wrong? I figured as long as a general was winning wars and bringing glory to Rome he could get away with a whole ton of dumb poo poo.

He accused the Caesar's son of killing the Caesar. The previous night Maximus had been named the successor to turn control of Rome back over to the Senate. When the son was told this, he killed the Caesar. The son tried to play it off like he'd died in his sleep but Maximus called him out on it so the son ordered him be put to death. As far as the son knew, he was dead.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Nov 12, 2014

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

But thats got nothing to do with Jedit stating he led the army wrong or something.

Oh. Right.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

If you want an actual gladiatorial truth that movies miss...they were sports stars.

They had advertising contracts, they shilled products. They had action figures made in their image, with little accessories for the gladiator's preferred weapon. Their stats were recorded and published in an official newsletter, and sometimes carved into their tombs.

Gladiator sort of had action figures. There's a scene where they're showing the crowds outside the stadium and there's a marionette show going on. They're showing a fight between Maximus and the Emperor. I think there was a little stand next to it where they were selling toys.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

And cause and effect isn't chronological? The string is always crisscrossing like a motherfucker. It shouldn't be.

Yeah but a straight line aint cool, man.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand how people loved Snowpiercer so much. Yeah it was pretty and all but otherwise it was loving awful.

edit: before anyone says it no I didn't like TMR either.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Is "made of ice" a minority now?

You know any other dudes made out of ice?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Was Billy Madison the one where the guy is mumbling in lightning-fast French and Adam Sandler goes "SLOW DOWN" and the guy repeats himself just as mumblyfast and then Adam Sandler says "Ohhh!" because that was pretty funny.

disclaimer: that is the only part of any Adam Sandler movie I have ever seen

That was Waterboy. Which I actually enjoyed because I got hit in the head with a 2x4 as a small child.

E: I'm second guessing myself on that one, I could be wrong.

Might have been a 4x4

\/\/\/ SEE. Also may have read French and thought he meant Creole.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Apr 2, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

I was watching Daredevil on Netflix and I noticed they do something that A LOT of other TV shows and movies do:

Why are churches always empty?? Its always one priest working there, with nobody else around, and the protagonist comes and sits in a pew all alone and talks to the priest. I just can't believe that churches are empty like that all the time.

To pile on to this, I would also think a guy like Daredevil would want to go when no one else was around. Showing him going to the church, finding out there's a ton of people there and going "welp I'll come back later" is boring so they don't show it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've never seen House of Cards, does Kevin Spacey ever call "time out" like Zach Morris?

Does anyone else but me remember Out of This World where the main character touched her fingers together and could stop time and then would monologue?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also don't think of it as "vision"; it's how his brain is interpreting the sounds and smells around him, along with probably the things he could feel...heat, air movement, that kind of stuff. I didn't like the 'world on fire' stuff so much as I did the movie's interpretation of it. His eyes aren't supposed to work at all, the 'world on fire' or the way the movie did it is just a visual device to help you understand how DD interprets what his other senses are telling him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched The Kingsman. Overall pretty good flick, I enjoyed it.

Except near the end with the interaction with the princess. The Main Kid is going to the Big Bad Guys base to stop him from destroying the world. While he's there, he comes across a princess that had previously been kidnapped. They talk for a second then she says if he saves the world she'll "let him do it in the rear end".

So he does, then there's a little scene where he goes back to her cell, you see her rear end, then the movie is pretty much over except for one more short scene.

Normally I wouldn't have had a reaction to it but what the hell? The entire movie there's been no sex or even sex related banter. I can't even remember much cussing either. It just seemed so out of place and crammed in (heh) at the last second.

Not to mention the main girl in the movie is completely useless to the plot, even as a love interest. It seemed like that's where they were going with it at first but bailed on it last second so they could toss in a buttsex joke.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

Isn't that based on a Mark Millar property? Dude loves ending things with buttfucking. I can't find it but someone post the last page to Wanted, it's the main character Eminem growling at the viewer with the caption "THIS IS MY FACE WHEN I'M loving YOU IN THE rear end."

Jesus. I've heard the name before but couldn't pick him out of a lineup or tell you anything he's done. Looking at the wiki page it does say it was based off a book written by him and Dave Gibbons.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was this in the new one that I didn't see or did I block that out of the other ones?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

The buttsex scene wasn't in the source material.

Also it's a joke. The movie has a recurring theme of "this isn't a Bond movie", even though it has every single trapping of one. The Moore Bond movies all end with Bond shagging the Good Bond Girl in an implausible scenario while Q or M try to get in touch with him, so when Eggsy saves the world the movie follows the trope.

It was a bad joke. In the 007 films Bond spends every second he gets flirting with women he meets. Eggsy didn't. The only two girls that I remember him coming in contact with are the two that enter in the Kingsman program and one is immediately gone. The other is completely worthless to the plot like I stated earlier and she never even enters in as a love interest. She might as well have been Eggsy's sister. The buttsex joke was completely out of left field and seemed like a throwaway "huhh buttsex look naked butt".

It's definitely not a movie to be taken seriously and I wasn't offended by the joke, it just seemed really out of place is all. jk MY IMMERSION

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got the Helen O'Loy pun

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Went and saw Fury Road last night. It was amazing.

The only gripe I had was that I only understood about 10% of what Max said. I know he's supposed to be guttural and mumble but I got nothing from him. Maybe it was the sound at the theater? Anyone else have his problem?

I didn't have problems understanding anyone else for what it's worth.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw Pitch Perfect 2 yesterday. While it was pretty funny, the music just didn't stand up to the original. Probably wouldn't watch it again but would still watch the first one 937464 more times.

My gripe with it is the German team. While they're singing, words like "the" and "there" get changed to "zee" and "zere". Fine whatever, they're supposed to be roided out Übermensch with incredibly thick accents. When they switch to normal conversation, though, they actually say "the" and "there", etc. it's really kind of annoying.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Weather Man stuff

Isn't that the one where he punches a woman dressed as a bear? He was dressed as the bear. Not the woman. Or maybe he punched a bear? I think there were bees involved.

Did I have a fever dream?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:lol: that description is about what I typed out. Wicker Man/Weather Man, whatever. I refuse to see Wicker Man now just because I don't want that scene to make sense. Out of context it's just fine.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Specifically, Operation Chastise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise

They had to fly low and come in just right, because the bomb was dropped with backspin so it would skip along the surface of the water over torpedo nets, hit into a dam, then sink to the bottom and blow up to damage it.

Presumably they accomplished this with the Force.

That's so god drat cool. They're faced with the issue of torpedos getting caught in nets and their response is "gently caress it, skip the bomb over the water and hit it that way". I want to believe some general was standing by a lake, trying to figure out how they were going to get past the nets when he skips a rock and gets a great idea.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I was watching A Million Ways to Die in the West and it was kind of odd how Seth MacFarlane's character gets into three gunfights in the movie and cheats in two of them.

Why? His character is a smartass and a huge pussy so it makes sense that him being a smartass would get him into a fight and him being a pussy would make him cheat himself out of the fight. It's only after he trains with whats-her-face that he knows how to fight.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The biggest disappointment about Pixels is that it's actually a great idea and could be a very fun movie if it weren't for Sandler. Had Pixar or the guys from Lego movie gotten a hold it of the story, I'm sure it would have been fantastic.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paper Diamonds posted:

The BBC Sherlock bounced back and forth between dumb and alright. My personal favorite is the last episode wherein Sherlock encounters a man with similar MIND POWERS to catalog and memorize things.

They have a duel of wits, things are tense, time is short, HOW WILL SHERLOCK OUTSMART THE OTHER GUY!

So then Sherlock pulls a gun and shoots the bad guy in his loving face.

To be fair that was pretty awesome

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Jaeger's weigh 3000 tons (maybe less) meaning each helo needs to lift only 375 tons at the most.

Yeah, that's what he said. A quick google search and I couldn't find a direct answer on what the max payload for the "strongest" helo is but the few answers I did find are nowhere near 375 tons.

375 tons is a LOT of weight. That's 125 tons short of a million pounds.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

Technically I think she could've had parental permission to get married, but not be legally able to engage in contracts due to her age. Depends on the laws though.

I think it renders them both null because of her age but because they've been living together so long it becomes common law marriage and community property applies so she gets half.

But I could have just made that up.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It Follows was talked about a few pages ago but I want to complain too so here goes.

I watched it the other night and I just did not get it. At no point did I feel anxious or scared for the characters. The thing walks toward you at a moderate pace so anything more than a brisk walk and you can get away from it. You have to gently caress someone for it to stop "chasing" you but if they die it comes after you again.

In the near end scene the main girl is in the pool with electronics all around her because ??? They also make a point that when the ghost walks into the pool area they ask her what it looks like and she says she doesn't want to tell them. Why not? Was it someone she knew? I didn't recognize the guy but maybe I missed something.

Someone said that the directors confirmed that it could take a plane if you went overseas. Something just cracks me up about a ghost waiting for then boarding a plane to follow you overseas. If that's the case just bang a pilot or flight attendant. They're always on the move.

The other thing is it got amazing reviews online from Ebert and places like Rotten Tomatoes. Normally I can see a movie and not enjoy it but at least understand why other people did. Maybe I didn't like the actors or the setting or something so it just wasn't for me. I get it. This movie just breaks my brain because I cannot grasp why there's people out there saying how good this is.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching Captain America: Winter Soldier and I'm at the part near the end where they destroy the helicarriers.

Why does Cap tell them to destroy the carriers while he's still on them? SHIELD has control of them, they're not targeting anything but each other, and Cap is injured but still able to move. Why (other than movie dramatics) do they destroy them right then and there? Surely having them land and disassemble them would make more sense than blowing them up mid air and having them land on the buildings below? Did I miss something?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

Does shield take control of them? I thought they just hacked the targetting or something to make them shoot each other instead of people on the ground.

Well fair enough but even then they're pretty useless without their targeting system. They could have afforded Cap the time to get out of there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

The program for attacking people would still exist and Shield would have access to it. Nothing really would have changed.

Yeah I get all that, but what I'm saying is they couldn't have waited 10 minutes for Cap to bail?

He was all "it has to be done RIGHT NOW". Just seemed a little over the top when he could have very well made it out in enough time, THEN they blow them up.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not a movie but I've been watching the first season of Flash on Netflix. Arrow was enjoyable but this thing is garbage.

I watched Episode 10 (I think) last night. It's the one with Captain Cold and Fire Gun Guy, whatever his name is. The climax is they're both in a standoff with police trying to draw the Flash out. Flash shows up to stop them.

Keep in mind that these are two normal humans with Cold/Fire Guns with nothing else special about them. Flash is a superhuman that can run faster than the speed of sound. Fast enough to run up the side of a building. Fast enough that there are three people on bikes that he takes the keys out of the ignitions before they know whats going on. Fast enough to take a picture with a phone, run to get in the picture, and then run back before the phone drops from midair. These are all examples present within the same episode.

But somehow not fast enough to run up to these guys, take their loving guns, knock them on their asses and run off.

Instead he has to SLOW DOWN so that they both hit them with their guns, and they wind up 'crossing the streams' when he moves away.

It also hosed me up that they used the same two lead actors from Prison Break as the cold/fire guys.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Is that before or after the episode where The Flash gets pepper sprayed?

I don't remember seeing that so I either just missed it completely or haven't made it to that episode yet. I don't think I'm going to be watching any more of it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

I'm the exact opposite. I couldn't get into Arrow at all but I love Flash. You're complaints are absolutely valid but I'm able to look past that because they've consistently done it to create a cool scene (see also the light girl fight in this season) and the show is otherwise just goofy and charming enough to be tona of fun. It balances out the grim tone of other (also excellent) superhero shows like daredevil, jessica jones, gotham, etc.

I guess it's just the juxtaposition of all the other stuff shown in that single episode vs. what the solution for beating the bad guys is. Why not just show him get hit by the cold ray thing and have him get a cold? "Oh no I'm sick and I cant run fast guess I'll have to figure another way out of this!"

But then I guess you'd have to have every episode come up with a reason why he couldn't use the full extent of his powers.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

The flash is either completely immune to all forms of harm or he is constantly exploding people and buildings without even realizing it. Either his reaction time is fast enough to avoid pedestrians while running at near-light speeds or it isn't. If it is, nothing should ever be able to harm him. If it isn't, he is the most destructive force imaginable.

Shai-Hulud posted:

This was also right after he met opposite flash for the first time and got beat up because he wasn't fast enough. So he was pushing himself and training hard to get even faster. But not fast enough to punch some dude with a flamethrower....

He also read 800 pages of some study and was not only able to read it in 5 seconds but process/remember the entirety of it.

e: Which speaks to the guy with the sword and pepper spray. It shows that he can view and process things with amazing speed.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Can't say how much he actually processed/remembered of it - he basically says that it talks about transmutation, and he happens to know what that is, I think.

Yeah fair enough about remembering it but he still read through it and knew what it said, meaning that he processed at least a good portion of it. Enough of it to know that transmutation was mentioned a few times. No telling if he knew what Transmutation was before or after.

Regardless, if he can do that he should have no problem dodging a sword or pepper spray (or fire/ice guns)

rejutka posted:

Aren't all these complaints about Arrow and The Flash rational complaints?

I guess it's gotten more in depth than I'd intended but it still bugs me they used the Prison Break guys for the Fire/Ice guys :colbert: