Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

A White Guy posted:

So, I watched Interstellar last night, good musical score, great visuals.

I just want to choke the writers to death though. Really? We're running out of oxygen? Are you actually loving kidding me? I've seen disaster movies that with less awfully reasoned world enders than that. Or the scene where's she standing in the loving room like "I'm here, poo poo will just happen and I'll poo poo some solution out of my rear end in ten seconds" I get that it's supposed to be an opportunity for what's his face to right his wrongs but come the gently caress on.

Interstellar is a well-made film, with a terrible script. It's littered with dumb exposition ("maybe love is some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive"), manufactured dilemmas, characters pulling solutions out of their rear end and then later being ignorant of things they should have accounted for (e.g. time dilation). For an SF film that bathes in physics and high falutin' talk, it's remarkably stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

OK. I suppose I can see that but why though? It doesn't add much of anything to the movie other than to take me out of it - at least for me. In fact, I find it irrationally distracting.

One might even say irritating in a movie moment sort of way.

Some of the performances are "over the top" like you said (Jamie Lee Curtis and Michael Shannon are fantastic), and I get it, but Craig's is the only one that doesn't work for me here and it just comes off like lovely/forced acting or just a miscast role.

I'm gonna go google it but I can't possibly be the only person who noticed this or felt this way. Half way through and it's a pretty great movie but I wish they'd have recasted Craig.

I was pretty tepid about Knives Out - seemed like a very standard drawing room mystery - but my distraction was Chris Evans. Maybe it was the makeup or the lighting but his face looked like a CGI rendition of itself.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm rewatching BSG and I had forgotten in S4 how everything gets incredibly bleak after they find Earth. And I get it, the show definitely sets the mood for the disappointment and the failure, but I don't think it had set the stakes for "well, now we're hosed", since the space caravan had already travelled a shitton of void and now they even have cylon tech on their side to find an habitable planet.

I took that as the survivors were just exhausted and mentally worn down at that point, and had no optimism left. But yes, the ending still sucks.

The overarching plot of BSG is nonsense, but I thought the individual episodes were tight, especially when they had to deal with messy realities: starvation, rebellion, mutiny. If they'd just ended mid search, while they were still trying to find a home, it would have been fine.

But no, the ending contorts itself trying to make sense after years of random plot twists.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Gromit posted:

No guild navigators is a disappointment. Loved those 3rd stage monsters in the original movie.

That is a great scene when the Navigator's tank is hauled in and his spokesperson barks into a microphone, his lip movements not matching the words that are heard. There's lots of goofy things in Lynch's Dune, but that's a nice alien setpiece - this is not our world.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Ommin posted:

A show I really liked with an interesting premise, great cast, and solid writing; that started strong but then petered out incredibly quickly, was Designated Survivor.

That's a good one. You can practically see the join marks where the show converts from a conspiracy thriller to the West Wing.