Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I feel like that happened to Spider Man too at one point? His suit gets damaged so he walks into a costume store and realizes the costume was higher quality than what he was already wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FuckenPunchOn posted:

Dark Knight Rises.

That stupid bit where all the cops march right up to the bad dudes and start a fight with them. Said bad dudes are armed to the teeth with every bad dude holding an assault rifle. They've even got a couple of armoured cars with big fuckoff guns on them. The cops have... a few glocks and crippling cases of malnutrition or some poo poo because they got stuck in the sewers like dumb idiots.

Why the gently caress are the bad dudes letting a bunch of cops march right up to fight them instead of just spraying right into the crowd, when even if they miss, they can't miss.

Even for that movie, It just sticks out as a loving retarded scene that nobody thought through properly.

Edit: wording

I feel like they could have easily solved that too. The bad guys raid Wayne's armory for those weapons, right? So just have a scene where after disabling the armored cars, batman disables the waynetech rifles with a remote control and bam, instant hand to hand combat. Sure it's dumb, but it would fit right in with the rest of the dumb movie.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 03:28 on May 14, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just saw Days of Future past:

What the hell was Xavier's telepathy powers being tied to his ability to walk? He took a pill that suppressed his powers but also allowed him to walk? How was he walking around in First Class?

Also as awesome as Quicksilver's scene was I'm annoyed at how little he was actually involved in the movie You'd think his ability to be faster than bullets would be useful in stopping an assassination where someone gets shot. He just felt like kind of a deus ex machina since he's literally in the movie to solve a single problem and never relevant again

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

oldpainless posted:

Why didn't The Hulk just beat Loki to death? Why stop beating on him?

Because it would be really out of tone with the rest of the movie if Hulk just wailed on Loki until he was red paste. Also superheroes aren't supposed to kill people.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

razorrozar posted:

All right, it was mostly the aliens, but the principle holds. Superheroes cause vast amounts of collateral damage that you're not supposed to think about.

You'll notice not a single civilian dies on screen either. That's what I meant by tone

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WickedHate posted:

So far, the Avengers are technology aided, a prince of another world, and a scientifically modified American soldier, except for the Hulk who is feared and hated. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will probably throw a wrench in that, though.

Yeah, all they need to do is make it clear that Avengers are public heroes with known identities and mutants are vigilantes who try to keep their identities secret.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jedit posted:

Here's another for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quill is obsessed with Earth culture. He has a spaceship that he got from Yondu, and he knows where Earth is. Why has he never gone home? For gently caress's sake, he has family who would have been living for 20 years not knowing what happened to him.

I assume it's because losing his mother was so traumatic for him that he never even had the slightest desire to go back. He couldn't even open the last gift she gave him. Going back would just remind him she was gone, when he could instead pretend to be a cool space outlaw criminal

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I think Godzilla would have been better suited if they had just followed a bunch of different people instead of the one uninteresting guy that just happens to always be in the right place.

This would have also improved World War Z, where Brad Pitt's character is somehow there for like every major event around the globe and even discovers that zombies avoid sick people. Something every doctor, nurse, or anyone else working in the medical field failed to notice first

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gaunab posted:

An irritation of mine is how most trailers today are more like short films then actual trailers. i know they're supposed to get people hyped up for the movie but sometimes it's ridiculous. I saw a trailer recently that was 3 minutes long.

Conversely, having trailers FOR trailers (teasers). Just show the trailer or don't show anything at all!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Coffee And Pie posted:

In Iron Man 3, why would Ben Kingsley's character, an English actor, be drinking Budweiser, of all beers?

Because they paid for the product placement

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Coffee And Pie posted:

I noticed this in the Dawn of the Dead remake, but also in stuff like The Walking Dead, but why does everyone go out to fight zombies in just t-shirts/sleeveless shirts? In the kind of situation where blood contact can cause an infection, wouldn't you want like thick leather and eye protection?

Well in the Walking Dead universe Everyone is already infected, it's dying (to anything) that will cause you to turn into a zombie

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dr_Amazing posted:

First they had to launch the ships, then climb to a certain height, then let the computers target all the people. They knew the good guys were trying to stop them and had already sped up the schedule as much as possible. Then when everything is finally ready to go, the last guy has to go "firing in 3...2.....1.....oh poo poo we lost." He should have been mashing that button like crazy.

Maybe the countdown was to when the computers finished targeting everyone?

edit: haha nope, they actually do say targets locked and then countdown

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

muscles like this? posted:

Ignoring the obviously stupid part of After Earth where the aliens can't "see" you if they don't smell your fear it seems a lot of their problems would have been solved with guns. I mean, shape shifting sword staff things are cool and all but they aren't very practical against an alien race that mostly fights hand to hand.

Also, maybe don't make your spaceships out of wood?

Pretty sure you could fill an entire thread of stupid poo poo from After Earth. Like how it drops below freezing at night yet Jaden spends most of his time in what is basically a tropical jungle? Why are there even plants?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Supreme Allah posted:

That's a stretch, Hitler wasn't part of a tiny minority group being actively hunted, murdered and hate-crimed. Magneto has an actual argument for self-defense. Mutants got it pretty rough in Marvel U, even the generally good ones get pissed off and go ham once in a while.

You're right, Magneto is more like Israel and the sentinels are... :can:

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Sep 20, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WickedHate posted:

If Godzilla 98 wasn't titled Godzilla, it'd be an okay film.

I liked Godzilla 98 a lot better when it was called Jurassic Park

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

muscles like this? posted:

The entire movie was made on a shoestring budget so it's very likely that they actually just ran out of money at that spot.

I believe Skyline was supposed to be released with a tie-in video game where you take control of the main character after he gets his robot body or whatever. Game got cancelled early on but they released the movie anyway with the poo poo ending

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Sep 27, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cowslips Warren posted:

I haven't seen all of Season 4 Game of Thrones yet, but is there ever an explanation as to why the Targarean kids, Dany and her brother, weren't taken in by the enemies of the Lannisters, say, Elia Martell's family, when they were kids or even teenagers? As much as a lot of people hated the Mad King, you'd think someone from Elia's family or anyone who hated the Lannisters would have been all about seizing those kids and grooming them into figureheads, rather than the kids essentially being beggars for years.

Because the new King was Robert Baratheon and he hated Targaryen so much that when he found out a 13 year old Targaryen girl was still alive he sent an Assassin after her.

Basically if Dorne tried to shelter the Targ kids they would have faced war against everyone who declared Robert their King

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anosmoman posted:

So whenever the protagonist is completely outclassed in a hand-to-hand fight the baddie will just throw him around for a bit. First through a window, then walk over and pick him up, then throw him through some shelves, walk over an pick him up, then throw him on a table that disintegrates. Stop the inefficiency! I wanna see one of those abnormally huge/powerful guys who's actually terrifying because he would murder you if he got his hands on you instead of just moving you around a room and bruising you until you find a random object you can impale him with. I dunno know I just think it's a cop out and it's almost formulaic at this point.

This bugged the poo poo out of me in Terminator Salvation. John Connor walks into a trap and gets cornered by a terminator (which for some reason is not armed with a gun) and it just throws him around the room instead of just snapping his neck or breaking him over his knee Bane Style. Hell a robot could probably easily rip out your heart or just pop your skull like the mountain

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The thing that bugs me about Nolan's Batman movies is that Bruce spends a year fighting crime as Batman for like, a year and a half at the most. There's only about a year between BB and TDK as Joker says. He then goes into hiding/retirement at the end of The Dark Knight and TDKR is like 8 years later. In the near-decade timeframe the Batman movies cover, Batman is barely Batman in it.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Oct 22, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also googling Sutton Hoo Helmet brings up a helmet(s) that look nothing like that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Danger Mahoney posted:

The hardest suspension of disbelief for me in zombie movies/shows is how animals suddenly disappear. The more aggressive carrion animals would disintegrate the entire zombie population in no time. Coyotes, buzzards, crows, and even all the roaming dogs now without owners would have no problem taking down a bunch of slow-moving exposed meat frames. Once you get into the country bears would keep pretty much every forest zombie-free.

Or that no one would use bicycles. An inexpensive, fuel-free, easy to maintain (and obtain) transportation that lets you outpace zombies (even fast ones). Also most of them can go off road and transport at least 2 people. Nope, instead everyone drives around in cars or if their car breaks down, they just walk. Put like 2 bikes in the trunk or on the roof!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

syscall girl posted:

Bicycles are bad for product placement in a show for plebs.

I think it's also partially because hollywood thinks bicycles are unsexy/uncool. I can't think of a single example of an action star using a bicycle, ever.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Avengers when Agent coulson is explaining to Cap how Bruce Banner is a really smart guy he calls him a 'Stephen Hawking', which of course Cap has no idea who that is. Coulson just calls him a really smart person, instead of bringing up that other (arguably even more) famous smart person.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jaramin posted:

If she was intended to be Hispanic the movie does a very bad job illustrating such considering she speaks at most two lines in Spanish and has no physical features which are most common to Hispanic people.

You're really not helping your case here.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

dpack_1 posted:

Irrational Irritation = toward the end they send two jaegers to the ocean bed. Only, Gypsy Danger is 'analogue' and runs on "50 diesel engines per muscle strand". How the gently caress are them engines getting any oxygen to keep the internal combustion going?!

Obviously they're extracting oxygen molecules from all the water around it!

It's a movie about giant robots punching giant monsters, don't think about it too hard. In one scene a giant robot fist punches through an office building and stops just short of obliterating a desk, but just enough force to set off a newton's cradle on it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Did anybody ever try shooting a gun at a Wizard in the Harry potter books? It seems like most wizarding duels are two guys trading spells with spells that can be reacted to. For the most part you can't really react to a bullet pointed at you (other than wincing in pain)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BiggerBoat posted:

Meh. It took me out of the movie.

None of what you describe is alluded to in the film in the slightest. Steve just flung that fucker into what appeared to be an ocean beneath the heli-carrier and a few scenes later he has it back when it should be at the bottom of the sea. Even if it wasn't an ocean they were over and it was a city or something, that fucker would have killed someone if it had landed on them. If it landed in a vacant lot or some poo poo, some homeless person would have grabbed it and tried to recycle it. If it landed in the street it would have been on E-Bay inside a half hour.

Actually, that would have been a neat scene. Hobo finds the shield and tries to sell it for scrap to some old guy working in a recycling plant who recognizes it from WW2 days and gives it back. Or some teenager finds it and puts it up for sale online only for Steve to buy it back. Might have made a cool closing scene.

I'm pretty sure most of that movie takes place in Washington DC, which would mean the body of water it fell into was probably the Potomac river or Chesapeake Bay. Wiki says the deepest that goes is about 174 feet. So not quite ocean depths

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Mar 3, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The complaints about pandering to Asian audiences in a movie called 'Pacific Rim' is hilarious. Even more so when you realize the Chinese Jaeger (despite being the second most advanced one) dies in like the dumbest way possible. Also the Jaeger command base operator with the Chinese name is played by a white dude.

I agree the pandering gets really bad in some movies (Transformers 4 being the worst I've ever seen) but Pacific Rim is really not one of them.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Mar 16, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Littlefinger saw no advantage (To him, personally) in exposing Arya, so he didn't. He only works for the Lannisters or whoever when it suits him. Remember he was ready to seize the throne with Ned until Ned decided to stick to his honor.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think a BW movie can work as a superhero film because she's not really a superhero. She's basically a spy.

To be completely honest, even with as much comic reading I did as a kid and do now, the ONLY "arch villain" I can think of is ANOTHER spy who uses the same code name except she's blond, and wears a tight catsuit and kills people.

It's not the fact there's not a BW movie out or coming out, it's the fact she's kind of a poo poo character who has no backstory to work off of. Most of the time in the comics she's either saving someone, on the run from shield, or boning Daredevil.

That's the whole point. She was included because her backstory can easily be explained or inferred without a whole 20 minute sequence about how she got her powers/abilities and motivations. Like imagine if Scarlet Witch or Captain Marvel showed up in Iron man 2 instead and they were zapping people with their powers. They would need to devote a significant chunk of screentime to her backstory about why this person can fly and/or shoot laser beams out of their hands. Same reason they used Hawkeye really.

Also because marvel has like zero interesting non-mutant female superheroes.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 11:37 on May 20, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dr_Amazing posted:

Thor Hammer chat: Thor is kind of a dick most of the time. How's he more worthy of anything that Captain America?

How is he a dick? Also Cap can lift the hammer in the comics, and budges it a little in the movie. It's possible he ends up lifting it by Infinity War.

You're real issue with it should be how Superman is somehow unworthy

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 04:20 on May 22, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also it's not New York City, it's "New York City". The one that got invaded by aliens and has a building called Oscorp Tower.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Light Gun Man posted:

Was it Robotech or something where they'd blow the poo poo out of planes and have some offscreen voice be like "I can see their parachutes!"?

Considering like 70% of the Earth literally gets wiped out in that show I doubt it.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Jun 1, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In the Robocop remake during the 'reveal' of Robocop to the public there is literally a wanted criminal just hanging out in the crowd which is surrounded by police officers, standing in front of the police headquarters. :wtc:

It's not like he was even disguised, wearing sunglasses and a hat or something. Just a wanted criminal, hanging out in front of police headquarters and having a look at the new supercop.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Jun 1, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Aphrodite posted:

The old saying was "Nobody stays dead except Bucky, Jason Todd and Uncle Ben."

The first 2 are alive again.

One notable one though is the Thor character Skurge, who was killed in a heroic sacrifice in 1985 and is still dead today. Though being part of the Thor comics with Valhallas and Hels he has made appearances since.

There's also the fact that nobody knows who the hell Skurge is.

Also Gwen Stacy stayed pretty dead, although there is now an alternate universe version of her running around as Spider woman.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

edit: nevermind

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Jun 28, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ElGroucho posted:

I like the part where they kill off spend full episodes on side characters whose storyline goes nowhere

I too am a fan of game of thrones

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MariusLecter posted:

It's too bad the best jager name didn't make it out of viral marketing and into the movie proper, Diablo Intercept.

That is a pretty badass name.

Also the 3 armed jaegar was so stupid. I dont care if it was piloted by triplets, they're not mutant triplets with 3 arms.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Frostwerks posted:

Must not be a big arm then.

Oh I get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

An irritating moment (irrationally too, so it fits!) is in Superman : Doomsday. It's an animated movie where Superman fights, surprise, Doomsday. In the middle of the big fight, he grabs him in a full nelson and hauls him into space and instead of lobbing him into the sun or throwing him into the moon or something, he SUPLEXES HIM BACK INTO THE CITY. Dude loving craters the city he's trying to save for... gently caress I dunno what kinda reason he would have.

You should watch Justice League: War. Superman attacks green lantern in the middle of a city and batman (to 'see what he can do'), and acts like a douchebag in general. That whole movie had irritatingly stupid lines and characterization.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Sep 8, 2015