Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
The old thread has closed, but there is no end for unnerving or scary things you can find on Wikipedia (or other assorted articles found online). Feel free to post from either source!

There are no wrong answers- just make sure it's scary or unnerving, and preferably scary to people other than yourself. Failing all that, something that invokes morbid curiosity is okay, I guess.

Oh, a couple other things:

- We already know about sleep paralysis, so skip it. We also don't want to hear about the time when you totally experienced it, maybe.

- Don't just post a link - tell us a short synopsis, or quote the article itself in your post! It prevents derails from people asking for more information, and is a courtesy to other goons who might find the subject too spooky.

Kudos to tviolet, who posted the original thread. I read the entire goddamn thing and was just about to post before it was closed this morning. :haw:

To start, I have always been fascinated with Number Stations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

quote:

A numbers station is a type of shortwave radio station characterized by unusual broadcasts, reading out lists of numbers or incomprehensible morse code messages.[1] The voices are often created by speech synthesis and are transmitted in a wide variety of languages. The voices are usually female, although sometimes men's or children's voices are used.

They date back to at least World War 1 and are still used to this day! Their purposes are thought to be mostly cloak and dagger spy poo poo, or possibly drug smuggling. There are also stations that were clearly set up just to gently caress around with us.

A number of citizens have taken to monitoring these stations, documenting their behavior, and (naturally) assign them cute nicknames! :3: Speculation can be pretty fun, and careful listening has provided insight on how some are set up, such as The Buzzer.

These stations unnerve me because it's (typically) a detached-sounding human voice sending encoded messages, which is, y'know, creepy listening. It's obviously not meant for the public (regardless of nationality), so if nothing else, they serve to unite us all, if only in paranoia. :tinfoil:

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 02:14 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
And we're reserve this here space for the Best Articles (for last thread and this one)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Heinous crimes, especially involving children, animals, and the disabled (anyone/anything that can't understand what's happening, much less defend themselves) I can't even wrap my head around. I don't understand how people get so wrong.

The Hi-Fi murders gave me nightmares for days when I first read about it. One of the survivors pulled though his coma, but died at age 44.

The OC weekly blog has a "Citizen of the Week" public shaming column that frequently calls out paedophiles in the community. Some are back in the community and some are locked away for a long time. These people walk among us. People make jokes about "paedo 'stache" and whatnot but the hosed up truth is you don't know most of the time who the monsters are. It's just so hosed up.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I just discovered this one a few days ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazino_affair

In Stalin's Russia, 6000 deportees were put on an island with no shelter, no supplies, and the only food was flour which they had to mix with swamp water. 295 people were buried on the first day, I'm guessing due to a large part because their transport to the island was on river barges intended to haul wood.

There were a lot of criminals that kept things unsafe, many people drowned trying to escape, and the guards would use anybody escaping as target practice.

It's called Death Island or Cannibal Island because 4,000 of the 6,000 died there, and there were a number of cases of cannibalism.

There is a book called Cannibal Island: Death in a Siberian Gulag that I've added to my reading queue.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just read the entire Wikipedia article. Holy loving poo poo, that final quote from a survivor :stare:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 22:53 on May 3, 2014

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Can we put a 'no sleep paralysis' rule in the OP?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yeah, give me an hour or two when I'm not posting from a phone, and I can start updating the 'hall of fame' post while I am at it.

In the meanwhile, revisit Cropsey, a boogeyman who was actual for-real. A child kidnapper/murderer, in fact, who is currently serving a life sentence.

'Cropsey' was local slang for any sort of psycho criminal at that time (1973 Staten Island).

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Gasser_of_Mattoon This one is interesting to me because it's unclear whether or not there even was a perpetrator to begin with.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

In addition, maybe ask folks to post at least a *little* information, if not a decent synopsis, of whatever the links are? Just to stave off any derails from others asking what the articles are about.

As for me, I'm fascinated with (and terrified by) industrial disasters. Chemical spills, fires, and especially radioactive disasters like Chernobyl and Fukushima. Recently saw some articles about a spot within Chernobyl called the Elephant's foot. Apparently some of what's left over from the original meltdown that researchers have been investigating. Just ridiculous how lethal it is.

http://nautil.us/blog/chernobyls-hot-mess-the-elephants-foot-is-still-lethal

Quick Excerpt: 300 seconds will produce a relatively quick death, which is better than many alternatives. After just 30 seconds of exposure, dizziness and fatigue will find you a week later. Two minutes of exposure and your cells will soon begin to hemorrhage; four minutes: vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. 300 seconds and you have two days to live.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworm

It lives in your buuuuuuuutt!

quote:

The Enterobius pinworm has a worldwide distribution,[14] and is the most common helminth (i.e., parasitic worm) infection in the United States, western Europe, and Oceania.[15][16] In the United States, a study by the Center of Disease Control reported an overall incidence rate of 11.4% among people of all ages.[16] Pinworms are particularly common in children, with prevalence rates in this age group having been reported as high as 61% in India, 50% in England, 39% in Thailand, 37% in Sweden, and 29% in Denmark.[16] Finger sucking has been shown to increase both incidence and relapse rates,[16] and nail biting has been similarly associated.[17] Because it spreads from host to host through contamination, pinworms are common among people living in close contact, and tends to occur in all people within a household.[14] The prevalence of pinworms is not associated with gender,[14] nor with any particular social class, race, or culture.[16] Pinworms are an exception to the tenet that intestinal parasites are uncommon in affluent communities.[16]

quote:

They emerge from the anus, and while moving on the skin near the anus, the female pinworms deposit eggs either through (1) contracting and expelling the eggs, (2) dying and then disintegrating, or (3) bodily rupture due to the host scratching the worm.[19]

Don't scratch your butt; you'll lay eggs.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
You fellas have any nice links to abandoned ruins and the stories behind them? They can be abandoned modern towns, pre-colonial structures, or old world structures. Throw in some cool Chernobyl links if you have something besides what wikipedia has...

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea_human_foot_discoveries

A bunch of feet wash up on a Canadian shore.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Judakel posted:

You fellas have any nice links to abandoned ruins and the stories behind them? They can be abandoned modern towns, pre-colonial structures, or old world structures. Throw in some cool Chernobyl links if you have something besides what wikipedia has...

Sorry for the double post, but this is what you want. And it's for sale!

http://blog.travelchannel.com/the-traveling-type/2014/04/17/one-of-the-worlds-most-haunted-places-poveglia-island-is-for-sale/

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yeah, but it still remains government property. They just want people to develop it into a luxury hotel, which seems ridiculous given the bad reputation... Then again, some people may pay good money to stay there.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I love talking about the Lost Franklin Expedition. For 400 years, Europeans searched for the Northwest Passage. Anything beats traveling around South America or Africa, right? I mean, it's right there in front of us. So, everybody tried. Most expeditions ended in disaster or close to it. It took them awhile to figure out how to survive in extreme cold, especially when your boats were blocked by ice for months and there is little wildlife or plants to eat. Everyone had to turn back at some point, even the most patient ones who were gone for two years.

So this resilient man, John Franklin, decided it would be him to conquer the ice. So he and his boats, the Terror and Erebus, and a crew of 130 set out in 1845. Earlier expeditions said this would take forever, so no one bothered searching until he had been gone for two years. Worse, no one exactly knows where he might be. Just somewhere above Canada. It turns into a worldwide search effort with Canadians, Americans, Brits, other Europeans and Russians all having a theory. Some good things happened during the search; most of western Canada was mapped. Yep, it was 1850 and no one was quite sure what lay out there.

Then some evidence starts popping up.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1854, John Rae, while surveying the Boothia Peninsula for the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), discovered further evidence of the lost men's fate. Rae met an Inuk near Pelly Bay (now Kugaaruk, Nunavut) on 21 April 1854, who told him of a party of 35 to 40 white men who had died of starvation near the mouth of the Back River. Other Inuit confirmed this story, which included reports of cannibalism among the dying sailors. The Inuit showed Rae many objects that were identified as having belonged to Franklin and his men. In particular, Rae brought from the Pelly Bay Inuit several silver forks and spoons later identified as belonging to Fitzjames, Crozier, Franklin, and Robert Osmer Sargent, a shipmate aboard Erebus. Rae's report was sent to the Admiralty, which in October 1854 urged the HBC to send an expedition down the Back River to search for other signs of Franklin and his men.[31][32]

There have been multiple expeditions since then. The boats have yet to be found but a few bodies, buried and unburied, have been found. More evidence supports cannibalism.

The scary part is the timeline. Some of Franklin's men may have still been alive during Rae's search and discoveries.

Wikipedia posted:

1845, 19 May: Franklin expedition sails from England
1845, July: Expedition docks in Greenland, sends home five men and a batch of letters
1845, 28 July: Last sighting of expedition by Europeans (a whaling ship in Baffin Bay)
1845–46: Expedition winters on Beechey Island. Three crewmen die of tuberculosis and are buried.
1846: Erebus and Terror leave Beechey Island and sail down Peel Sound towards King William Island
1846, 12 September: Ships trapped in the ice off King William Island
1846–47: Expedition winters on King William Island
1847, 28 May: Date of first note, says "All well"
1847, 11 June: Franklin dies
1847–48: Expedition again winters on King William Island, after the ice fails to thaw in 1847
1848, 22 April: Erebus and Terror abandoned after one year and seven months trapped in the ice
1848, 25 April: Date of second note, saying 24 men have died and the survivors plan to start marching south on 26 April to the Back River
1850 (?): Inuit board an abandoned ship, which is icebound off King William Island
1850 (?): Inuit see 40 men walking south on King William Island
1851 (?): Inuit hunters see four men still trying to head south, last verified sighting of survivors (as reported to Charles Hall)
1852–1858 (?): Inuit may have seen Crozier and one other survivor much further south in the Baker Lake area
1854: John Rae interviews local Inuit, who give him items from the expedition and tell him the men starved to death, after resorting to cannibalism
1859: McClintock finds the abandoned boat and the messages on an admiralty form in a cairn on King William Island

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vectorwulf posted:

In addition, maybe ask folks to post at least a *little* information, if not a decent synopsis, of whatever the links are? Just to stave off any derails from others asking what the articles are about.

As for me, I'm fascinated with (and terrified by) industrial disasters. Chemical spills, fires, and especially radioactive disasters like Chernobyl and Fukushima. Recently saw some articles about a spot within Chernobyl called the Elephant's foot. Apparently some of what's left over from the original meltdown that researchers have been investigating. Just ridiculous how lethal it is.

http://nautil.us/blog/chernobyls-hot-mess-the-elephants-foot-is-still-lethal

Quick Excerpt: 300 seconds will produce a relatively quick death, which is better than many alternatives. After just 30 seconds of exposure, dizziness and fatigue will find you a week later. Two minutes of exposure and your cells will soon begin to hemorrhage; four minutes: vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. 300 seconds and you have two days to live.

Everything about the site from the accident until now fascinates me. The wikipedia article on the Chernobyl disaster describes fungi that live within reactor #4 now :stare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Flora_and_fauna

quote:

A robot sent into the reactor itself has returned with samples of black, melanin-rich radiotrophic fungi that are growing on the reactor's walls.[124]

gently caress your normal/boring photosynthesis, I need some high-test poo poo. Give me gamma rays :unsmigghh:.

Icon Of Sin has a new favorite as of 03:48 on May 4, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Lotish posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworm

It lives in your buuuuuuuutt!

Don't scratch your butt; you'll lay eggs.
Oh, so that's what those are called. When I was a really little kid, I had trouble sleeping for a few weeks because of those drat things. :gonk:

In 2001, there was a mentally ill German guy who put an ad on the internet for someone to eat. He found several people, turned down a few for being either too fat or too weird and eventually got someone who wanted to have his dick bitten off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes

quote:

As is known from a videotape the two made when they met on 9 March 2001 in Meiwes's home in the small town of Rotenburg, Meiwes amputated Brandes' penis and the two men attempted to eat the penis together before Brandes was killed. Brandes had insisted that Meiwes attempt to bite his penis off. This did not work and ultimately, Meiwes used a knife to remove Brandes' penis. Brandes apparently tried to eat some of his own penis raw, but could not because it was too tough and, as he put it, "chewy". Meiwes then fried the penis in a pan with salt, pepper, wine and garlic; he then fried it with some of Brandes' fat but by then it was too burned to be consumed. He then chopped it up into chunks and fed it to his dog.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 04:14 on May 4, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Celery Face posted:

In 2001, there was a mentally ill German guy who put an ad on the internet for someone to eat. He found several people, turned down a few for being (...) too weird

Let's all take a moment to let that little fact sink in.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Judakel posted:

Cumberland Island, Georgia is one of my very favorite places to go in the world (and camp on the beach!) and is home to the Carnegie mansion ruins of Dungeness House.

(edit)

Actual ruin pictures. I have many more/better ones but I don't have them up anywhere. If you GIS you can even get pictures of the 1959 fire.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 04:55 on May 4, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I think you would really enjoy The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's fiction, but it's pretty great.

From wikipedia:

quote:

The novel is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic to force the Northwest Passage in 1845–1848. In the novel, while Franklin and his crew are plagued by starvation and scurvy and forced to contend with mutiny and cannibalism, they are stalked across the bleak Arctic landscape by a monster.

The characters featured in The Terror are almost all actual members of Franklin's crew, whose unexplained disappearance has warranted a great deal of speculation.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Vice did a really great article on this but here's the terse wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Bolivia#Rape_cases_of_2013

Mennonite village in Bolivia, entire families (well, just the women) got raped over and over for months and would wake up with grass stains, rope burns etc. nobody could explain it or was even sure they were being raped until they figured out some guys were pumping houses full of gas. Guys got arrested but people are still being gassed/drugged and raped there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

Everything about the site from the accident until now fascinates me. The wikipedia article on the Chernobyl disaster describes fungi that live within reactor #4 now :stare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Flora_and_fauna

gently caress your normal/boring photosynthesis, I need some high-test poo poo. Give me gamma rays :unsmigghh:.

As much as people worry about climate change, the planet is going to be just fine. We'll be dead and extinct, but mother nature is gonna keep on truckin'.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know this thread teaches me stuff I never knew, and does a pretty good job of wearing away at my faith in humanity. It's turning out like a summary of God's case against humans. If we ever get shut off at some point, He can print this thread and put it on a stick somewhere for explanation. See here, bunny-people, what a truckload of loving douchebags the monkey-people who preceded you were. Yeah good call dad, care for some poppy cakes? Might as well Me damnit these fuckers never fail to put me off.

:smith:

As a contribution, please have a TCC phenazepam thread where people flush their lives down the toilet trying to get their jollies from eating grams of Russian jazz powder that's good for gently caress all except mellowing out people who have terminal cancer or psychoses, and then in milligrams.

You know what I'll actually steal HOW COULD YOU's post in the lost SA stuff thread for an abstract. It's pretty much spot on:

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Basically it was the perfect storm of hosed up.
  • It was not explicitly illegal (not scheduled), so it was easy to get.

• It's a benzo, so when you take it you don't think you are hosed up, and want to take more/do things you REALLY SHOULD NOT DO while on drugs (like 5 car crashes in that thread)

• It was (relatively) cheap

• It had an absurd biological half life (50+ hours)

• and HUGE POINT it only came in powder form, and was active un half a milligram doses. Which is the size of a small grain of sand.

This culminated in a bunch of idiots thinking they could accurately eyeball the dose to take (eyeball a grain of sand sized dose), feeling like they were unaffected, taking a bunch more, and losing weeks to a blackout where they did ridiculous things.

e: SA support robot kindly shut down that section of the db just now, so you guys wouldn't depress yourselves with it. But I'll say it contains trip reports to the effect of "taking a pinpoint's worth of phenazepam. (1w passes) Now released from hospital, lost fingat, am no longer engaged nor employed; savings paid medical bill and fines, will be homeless within month." In many of the cases, a pinhead's worth of phenazepam caused people to transcend normal wage slave existence into full frontal hobo mode over just a few days, and this poo poo comes in a loving salt shaker in your mailbox.

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 22:06 on May 4, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

And before we have the inevitable derail, "eyeball the dose" here is to be interpreted in the sense of "guestimating the quantity to be taken."

Not "sticking drugs in your eyeballs."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Didn't one guy actually think that was what eyeballing meant though, and then did it?

The FYAD thread about TCC was amazing and easily justified TCC's existence. Goon fuckups are the best fuckups.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Which thread is that?

One goon in the phenazepam thread offered the notion that the problem with TCC is that it is an Internet drug user forum, and as such is full of loving idiots.

I can't give proper credit since SA support robot is still doing its Lovecraftian duty of shielding my fragile mind from the nighted squamous horrors contained therein. Also I think search is broken for the moment, because a search for "loving idiots" in TCC comes up blank.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

Also I think search is broken for the moment

You must be new around here :allears:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I became curious about people taking this drug and found this little gem:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/360165-Phenazepam-First-Time-Priceless-Warning

Apologies for it not being a Wiki page, I thought it was topical and hilarious. The best quote is "I am a very responsible person when it comes to drugs."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I became curious about people taking this drug and found this little gem:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/360165-Phenazepam-First-Time-Priceless-Warning

Apologies for it not being a Wiki page, I thought it was topical and hilarious. The best quote is "I am a very responsible person when it comes to drugs."

quote:

Not my type of behavior at all even though I am a drug addict.
and

quote:

If I can't manipulate my parents into giving me money or sell drugs to get money, I just don't do drugs.
said with pride are pretty goddamn hilarious.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Number Stations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

They date back to at least World War 1 and are still used to this day! Their purposes are thought to be mostly cloak and dagger spy poo poo, or possibly drug smuggling. There are also stations that were clearly set up just to gently caress around with us.

A number of citizens have taken to monitoring these stations, documenting their behavior, and (naturally) assign them cute nicknames! :3: Speculation can be pretty fun, and careful listening has provided insight on how some are set up, such as The Buzzer.

These stations unnerve me because it's (typically) a detached-sounding human voice sending encoded messages, which is, y'know, creepy listening. It's obviously not meant for the public (regardless of nationality), so if nothing else, they serve to unite us all, if only in paranoia. :tinfoil:
Along those lines (and to include a Wikipedia link) anyone interested in this stuff should absolutely check out the Conet Project. It's the largest compilation of numbers stations recordings that I've come across and although the website the recording were hosted on looks to have gone offline, there's an archive.org page with all of the recordings on the compilation. I've listened to several dozen or so of these and some of them are short loops of jingles followed by a synthesized voice speaking a series of numbers and letters. Fascinating stuff considering numbers stations are still in use today and only a select few have any idea what a particular message means.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Celery Face posted:

In 2001, there was a mentally ill German guy who put an ad on the internet for someone to eat. He found several people, turned down a few for being either too fat or too weird and eventually got someone who wanted to have his dick bitten off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes

I'm fond of the Rammstein song that was inspired by this story Meiwes. Mein Teil. The video was considered disturbing enough that it couldn't be played before 11PM on MTV Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Teil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3kVtd2CCA

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm fond of the Rammstein song that was inspired by this story Meiwes. Mein Teil. The video was considered disturbing enough that it couldn't be played before 11PM on MTV Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Teil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3kVtd2CCA
The live version is pretty sweet too. The lead singer just takes out a flamethrower and torches the cauldron that the keyboard player is standing in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SQbvrT5izk

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Another old stand-by, Lost Cosmonauts.

Wiki posted:

Lost Cosmonauts, or Phantom Cosmonauts, is a conspiracy theory alleging that Soviet cosmonauts entered outer space, but without their existence having been acknowledged by either the Soviet or Russian space authorities.

Proponents of the Lost Cosmonauts theory concede that Yuri Gagarin was the first man to survive human spaceflight, but claim that the Soviet Union attempted to launch two or more manned space flights prior to Gagarin's, and that at least two cosmonauts died in the attempts. Another cosmonaut, Vladimir Ilyushin, is believed to have landed off-course and been held by the Chinese government. The Government of the Soviet Union supposedly suppressed this information, to prevent bad publicity during the height of the Cold War.

Some of the tales spun about Soviet space get a little dark (and of course some of the actual stuff is too.) If you're into Cold War shenanigans it's a good place to start. This has a list of the various phantoms in detail.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Celery Face posted:

The live version is pretty sweet too. The lead singer just takes out a flamethrower and torches the cauldron that the keyboard player is standing in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SQbvrT5izk

It is pretty fantastic. But Engel live is even better I think. Till (the lead singer) wears flaming angel wings. (I'll not link it to avoid further derailing.)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Erghh posted:

Some of the tales spun about Soviet space get a little dark (and of course some of the actual stuff is too.) If you're into Cold War shenanigans it's a good place to start. This has a list of the various phantoms in detail.

It probably stoked the fires just a little bit when astronauts on board the ISS released SuitSat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuitSat

It was an old space suit that was beyond its service life, so they made a limited-duration satellite out it. The orbit of it decayed pretty quickly though, and it got incinerated as soon as it came low enough to start re-entry.

Speaking of atmospheric re-entry, it's probably one of the most extreme processes we can put something through. SpaceShipOne gets away with it because they didn't have enough horizontal velocity to even get to orbit, only to get to space for a minute before falling back down. The space shuttles came down from orbit at around Mach 25, and on the 2nd shuttle flight the pilot of the craft flew the entire re-entry profile by hand :stare: (on every other flight of the program, computers handled this part). Then we get to things that are from beyond Earth orbit; these are asteroids, comets, and occasionally a spent Saturn V fuel tank from the Apollo program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J002E3) and are moving extremely fast, relative to Earth. If the orbits line up just right, these can hit the atmosphere so fast that they only spend a second or two burning through the entirety of the atmosphere before hitting the ground.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Judakel posted:

How about a facility that, unlike Chernobyl, intentionally irradiated the hell out of its surroundings to simulate nuclear war? A good radiation exposure story tends to be a reliable way to unnerve people, so it fits in perfectly for this thread. I've been collecting sources with the intention of writing a full article on Wikipedia, so I'll share it here.

The Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory was a cold war era facility that

quote:

was the site of Lockheed's lab for investigating the feasibility of nuclear aircraft. The site was used for irradiating military equipment, as well as the forest to determine the effect of nuclear war, and its effects on wildlife. The area was closed in 1971 and acquired by the city of Atlanta for a second airport, but its topography was determined to be ill-suited for an airport. Documents explaining what went on at the site remain highly classified, and the entrance to the underground portion of the facility has been buried. The only objects left above ground were the concrete foundations on which the buildings and reactors were placed.
There are a few inaccuracies there, but I'll get to those in a moment.

The heart of the GNAL was a 10MW unshielded reactor that was normally stored submerged in a cooling pond, but was hoisted up into the air to irradiate materials during experiments. Before construction, the intent had been to irradiate aircraft systems to see how well they held up to radiation with the end-goal of developing a nuclear-powered bomber that could remain in flight for weeks to months at a time. By the time the facility was finished, this had been all but dismissed as ridiculously impractical and the facility took on a new purpose: to study the effects of radiation levels that would be present in the aftermath of nuclear war.

A typical test would consist of several steps: The material to be irradiated would be brought into the reactor building on rail cars. Next, everyone on site inside of the "lethal fence," the area in which humans could receive fatal doses of radiation (look for the circle in the woods on this map) would get into the underground safety bunkers (more on these later.) Once the site was clear, the reactor would be brought up to its operating power of 10 megawatts and hoisted out of the pit into the air for the duration of the test, then lowered back into the pit. Once the all-clear was sounded, the rail cars would be moved to an outdoor cool-down area (one of the fenced-off areas still off-limits to this day because of contamination) where they would sit for days or weeks until they were safe to bring into the hot cell (more on this later) and be manipulated, repaired, etc. by robotic tools because they were still too radioactive for people to get near them.

Sometimes, early on, they tested aircraft parts. Other times, they tested various materials, including pine wood that was dubbed "Lockwood" (Lockheed was running the site) which became quite hard and durable, and was used in various applications including flooring at the IAEA headquarters. There were also "biological materials" tested, which is a nice way of saying they exposed live animals and the surrounding forest. Doses of radiation were measured in rads; Wikipedia sources say that a whole body dose of 400 rads will kill the average person, and off the top of my head I think 1000 will kill most animals. Several ten hour tests were conducted, with rodents and birds exposed to a mean whole-body dose of 6000-8000 rads and a peak measured dose of nearly 30,000. Nearby trees lost all of their foliage within a week of the first test.

Then came the big one, a test to simulate the aftermath of a nuclear attack. The reactor was raised and left in the elevated position for a full three weeks. Trees 1000 feet from the reactor absorbed as much as 100,000 rads. Levels at the lethal fence perimeter 3000 feet away were between 500 and 1000 rads, enough to kill a person.

The site was shut down in spring of 1971 and cleanup took just over a year. Most buildings were razed and only the concrete pads left behind, but there are a few still standing. The hot cell and several surrounding structures are still dangerously radioactive due to high levels of cobalt-60 and cesium-137 and won't be safe for demolition for another 30-50 years. The pump house building that supplied cooling water for the reactor is still standing, just a small concrete shack. Some explorers with a very poor sense of self-preservation have cut the double fence and entered the Hot Cell building with a Geiger counter confirming the official story that it's not safe to be there. Trees inside the hot cell area still show signs of radiation damage and mutations. The underground bunkers were gutted but left intact and the entrances buried. Every few years, the exploration bug bites someone and they dig it out. The lower levels are flooded, but there's apparently plenty to see.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

The Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory was a cold war era facility that

I'm pretty sure I've read about this place before, but that's some hosed up poo poo.

Here's a video showing a bunch of the stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urGYMs0-UcM

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
Erd­ställe sometimes crop up on internet lists of Weird Stuff, so apologies if they've already been done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdstall

Not likely to flat-out terrify any but the claustrophobic, these things are still inexplicable enough to be unnerving. Beneath parts of Germany, and some other countries in Europe, are systems of blind-ended tunnels that no-one can explain, hundreds and hundreds of them. Unlike most subterranean earthworks, all Erd­ställe (plural of Erdstall) discovered so far appear to have been dug surprisingly recently – probably during the Middle Ages - yet we know almost nothing about them. If they had a religious significance, it's not mentioned in any surviving Christian literature, which has led some to speculate that they are all that's left of a literally underground rival faith, or some very heterodox Christianity. Wild as this sounds, they don't seem very suitable as hideouts, escape tunnels, or for storage.

From the wikipedia page, the link to an article in Der Spiegel is worth a click and is in English.
The http://erdstall.de site, also linked, is in German but has some good pictures.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Erghh posted:

'sup

On topic, I find the Lituya Bay Megatsunami page to be cool/unnerving. A 500+ meter wave completely fucks with my sense of scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Icon Of Sin posted:

Then we get to things that are from beyond Earth orbit; these are asteroids, comets, and occasionally a spent Saturn V fuel tank from the Apollo program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J002E3) and are moving extremely fast, relative to Earth. If the orbits line up just right, these can hit the atmosphere so fast that they only spend a second or two burning through the entirety of the atmosphere before hitting the ground.

It's not just space junk orbiting the earth, it's space junk that has been directly orbiting the sun and periodically returning to earth's orbit for a few years, roughly every forty years. It's most likely the second stage of Apollo 12, meaning it's a piece of equipment that put men on the moon. It's an accidental time capsule, in a way.

This is a picture of the S-IVB stage of Apollo 17, identical to the orbiting J002E3. Barring the unforeseen, it'll continue that semi-stable orbit that it began before many of us were born, and long after we're all dead.

Also, it'll show up twice as much as Halley's Comet. I was six when it last passed by earth, and I have a clear memory of watching it. This same comet has buzzed us every 74- 79 years, and boy did it ever gently caress with our ancestor's heads.

Occasionally, it may have also hosed with their lively-hoods:

Wikipedia posted:

Circumstantial evidence suggests that a 600 meter fragment shed by Halley's Comet may have impacted into Earth in 536 during the annual Eta Aquarid meteor shower. This may have contributed to drought and famine making humanity more susceptible to the Plague of Justinian in 541-542.

That is, a fragment came down, blew up enough dust in the atmosphere to effect harvests, and led to a demand for imported food from far away places, such as Egypt and China. This helped spread disease-carrying rats and caused the first known outbreak of the bubonic plague. Evidence of it being from the comet comes from samples from Greenland, which shows the dust that settled around that time contained traces of stuff usually found in comets.

Halley's Comet will return in 2061, heralding another scary and unnerving thing - Claymation Mark Twain. The real Mark Twain was born on a year the comet was near earth, and died in 1910, the next time Halley's Comet visited. He saw it out. :unsmith: