Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The healthcare community matches or exceeds the law-enforcement community in their willingness to cover up misdeeds and kick the can down the road no matter how heinous the consequences. Every single one of the serial killer doctors and nurses you’ve read about had a 5 to 50 year history of patient outcomes that could literally only be explained by murder or gross incompetence. Every single one of them was suspected by coworkers, suspected by superiors, suspected by hospital administrators, and just shuffled down the line from job to job rather than being dealt with.

I guess there must be some who got busted right away, and that’s why they’re not famous, but I don’t really have faith in that.

There's a really good book called Blind Eye by James B Stewart about Swango and the catastrophic failures that allowed him to continue. Ohio State was particularly complicit; there were nurses who were like, "Hey, I saw him injecting a patient who then immediately coded, here is this syringe he left in the room," and the administration just kind of shrugged and said it wasn't worth the legal risk of firing him.

Oh also he graduated from med school in 1982 and finally plead guilty in 2000, so this is very much not ancient history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

TorpedoFish posted:

I don't recall seeing it in this thread, so let's have a chat about Dr Michael Swango.

The linked article, contemporaneous to most of his crimes, gives a good summary: he was an extremely bad doctor who never completed a residency and at one point served two years in prison for poisoning coworkers. He also liked to poison his patients, and likely killed dozens of people that way. He worked as a doctor in Ohio, South Dakota, and New York before people finally caught on.

What the article doesn't mention, because no one knew it yet, was that Swango wasn't done! Once he realized the feds were on to him, he fled the country and found work as a doctor in Zimbabwe, where he continued to poison patients (and his landlady). When he was fired there, he again fled the country, spent some time poisoning his way across Africa, and ultimately applied for a job in Saudi Arabia. Only then did the right people finally realize who he was, and lured him back to the US. They got him on charges of fraud, and used that time to build the murder case against him.

Finally, only when faced with the prospect of extradition to Zimbabwe, Swango plead guilty to three counts of murder. He's serving three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole, but it's still unknown exactly how many people he murdered: at least three, but many estimate as many as sixty. It turns out it's pretty easy for a doctor to kill you, and get away with it!

Many people never know what they want to do with their lives.
This guy did, and it was poisoning people.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Thank you for this, it was a fun listen. To the point, no bullshit, like one person talking to another. Thank you, too, for being as kind to the man's situation as possible.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

TorpedoFish posted:

I don't recall seeing it in this thread, so let's have a chat about Dr Michael Swango.

The linked article, contemporaneous to most of his crimes, gives a good summary: he was an extremely bad doctor who never completed a residency and at one point served two years in prison for poisoning coworkers. He also liked to poison his patients, and likely killed dozens of people that way. He worked as a doctor in Ohio, South Dakota, and New York before people finally caught on.

What the article doesn't mention, because no one knew it yet, was that Swango wasn't done! Once he realized the feds were on to him, he fled the country and found work as a doctor in Zimbabwe, where he continued to poison patients (and his landlady). When he was fired there, he again fled the country, spent some time poisoning his way across Africa, and ultimately applied for a job in Saudi Arabia. Only then did the right people finally realize who he was, and lured him back to the US. They got him on charges of fraud, and used that time to build the murder case against him.

Finally, only when faced with the prospect of extradition to Zimbabwe, Swango plead guilty to three counts of murder. He's serving three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole, but it's still unknown exactly how many people he murdered: at least three, but many estimate as many as sixty. It turns out it's pretty easy for a doctor to kill you, and get away with it!
This is an excellent summary and now I want to dig deeper. Thanks.

And thanks, madeintaipei! I did my best to humanize him, without condoning what he does. I really do hope he gets help.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

madeintaipei posted:

Thank you for this, it was a fun listen. To the point, no bullshit, like one person talking to another. Thank you, too, for being as kind to the man's situation as possible.

Yeah, Anomaly Documentaries is excellent. Anyone reading this thread right now who hasn't seen The Golden Gael's videos stop right now and watch them.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I feel very privileged to have such fine and wonderful fans of my work. Thank you again!

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
Work is slow, so let's talk about another bad doctor: Dr Harold Shipman.

Harold “Fred” Shipman was a general physician in England. He graduated from medical school in 1970, and by 1974 started working as a GP in private practice. In 75, his career hit a speedbump when he was convicted of forging prescriptions for Demerol, a synthetic opiate. He paid his fine, did a brief stint in addiction treatment, and returned to practice.

By many accounts, Dr Shipman was a perfectly competent physician with a pleasant bedside manner. His patients liked him and trusted him and he generally got on well with his colleagues, though he was prone to mood swings and eventually opened a solo practice. He would often make house calls to his elderly patients, both in response to acute needs and as routine wellness checks.

However.

In 1998, a local funeral home expressed concern to a local doctor, Linda Reynolds, about the number of deaths where the death certificate was signed by Shipman. There were simply too many of his patients dying, and a disproportionate number of them were elderly women. The police briefly investigated but found nothing to justify either charging the doctor or even further investigation. Coincidentally, after the investigation had been closed, another individual contacted the police about Shipman, but nothing was done.

It wasn’t until the 1998 death of Shipman’s patient Kathleen Grundy that anyone took meaningful action. Grundy’s daughter contested her mother’s will, which left nothing to her family but nearly £400,000 to Dr. Harold Shipman. The daughter went to the police, who again opened an investigation. Investigation showed that Grundy’s body contained traces of morphine, and Shipman’s records about it were created after her death. It also revealed Shipman owned a typewriter that matched the contested will.

Finally, the police arrested him. They conducted a detailed examination of the circumstances of 15 deaths, all women, who had died while under Shipman’s care between 1995 and 1998. All of them had been given lethal doses of opiates, and their medical records had been altered after their deaths to reflect a poorer health status.

Harold Shipman was convicted of 15 counts of murder and was given a life sentence. In 2004, he fatally hung himself in prison, having served four years of his term.

The government spent two years looking at every death Shipman had signed off on. The inquiry produced over 5,000 pages of reports and found that Harold Shipman had killed at least 215 people. Conservative estimates above that put the number at about 260, though some believe he killed even more than that. Had the police taken the initial investigation more seriously hundreds of lives could have been saved.

The creepiest thing to me is that Shipman denied all charges. He never admitted guilt, and he never let anything slip as to why he killed all those people. Other than his final victim he never financially benefited; it seems he simply enjoyed the act of killing.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I remember as his alleged death count rose they had difficult job finding a prison where guards and prisoners alike weren't related to his patients.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Golden Gael posted:

I feel very privileged to have such fine and wonderful fans of my work. Thank you again!

You should be proud of your video essays on this kinda stuff.

I have friends that love watching your videos because they're not full of tired retreads.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I work in a pharmacy and controlled classes of drugs are watched *very* intently now, and a lot of those regulations were brought in as a direct result of Shipman's crimes, or so I was taught. Certain classes of drugs have a running tally kept and must be counted in and out, with the patient, prescribing doctor, and responsible pharmacist recorded every single time.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
When we were looking at crime statistics for class in my criminology degree someone pointed to a massive spike in the graph for the UK murder rate for one single year and asked what that was about and the lecturer was like oh right yeah that's just Harold Shipman don't worry about that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TorpedoFish posted:

spent some time poisoning his way across Africa

Too long for a new title?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I was at 6th form college with a girl whose GP was Harold Shipman. We worked out that she was safe through being young and poor.

I also never got to sleep with her despite really wanting to, but that’s not really relevant to the Shipman thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow talk about dodging two bullets

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Rascar Capac posted:

I was at 6th form college with a girl whose GP was Harold Shipman. We worked out that she was safe through being young and poor.

I also never got to sleep with her despite really wanting to, but that’s not really relevant to the Shipman thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

:lol:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Rascar Capac posted:

I... why would you even mention that?

Milo and POTUS posted:

:eyepop:

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

lmao

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

I... why would you even mention that?

:eyepop:

To provide some personal context?

Thanks Rascar, that previously unknown factoid really rounded out the whole Dr Shipman saga.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Capt.Whorebags posted:

To provide some personal context?

Thanks Rascar, that previously unknown factoid really rounded out the whole Dr Shipman saga.

I feel like he could have stopped at “I knew her” and maybe we didn’t need “I wanted to bang her”

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I think it's entirely relevant and I thank you for adding it, sometimes the story needs more character to really pop

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If he had more character maybe he could have popped.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

blatman posted:

I think it's entirely relevant and I thank you for adding it, sometimes the story needs more character to really pop

Exactly - the Shipman case on its own is too deficient in narrative zest [T&A] to really translate to Hollywood. But now I could see Bryan Cranston and J-Law really pulling it off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The One That Got Away

... From Shipman, I mean! From Shipman!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/AmakaUbakaTV/status/1282789567360311299

:cry:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
loving oof :(

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Christ

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

That actually makes me feel a little better about the whole godawful situation. As a mom I was imagining her passing not knowing where her kid was or if he was safe but she died knowing he was okay and while it's still awful and nightmarish, at least she didn't die with that fear on her mind.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Stairs posted:

That actually makes me feel a little better about the whole godawful situation. As a mom I was imagining her passing not knowing where her kid was or if he was safe but she died knowing he was okay and while it's still awful and nightmarish, at least she didn't die with that fear on her mind.
:unsmith:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Stairs posted:

I can’t figure out how to get to the story that’s about. Did it happen near shore, or around other boats? If not, I can’t imagine “my four-year-old is all alone on a boat in the middle of the ocean” would be all that comforting.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I can’t figure out how to get to the story that’s about. Did it happen near shore, or around other boats? If not, I can’t imagine “my four-year-old is all alone on a boat in the middle of the ocean” would be all that comforting.
He had on a life jacket (if he fell off the boat he'd float) and the boat was rented and they'd be coming to look for it in less than 30 minutes (which they did).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm struggling to understand what happened, how did she not have enough energy - what happened?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm struggling to understand what happened, how did she not have enough energy - what happened?

Over the centuries lots of people have discovered that swimming in open water takes more effort than you expect - chasing a drifting boat and then dragging yourself onboard from the waterline doubly so. Dive boats have spotters and platforms for a reason. There usually isn't chance for a second lesson unfortunately.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Shock of the water, really common occurrence in UK summers for fit and healthy people to get into difficulty swimming.

outdoor swimming society posted:

Cold shock: this is the body’s reaction to sudden cold. It begins with the gasp reflex and continues with uncontrolled hyperventilation. This is a good reason not to jump into water unless it’s over 15°C or you’re acclimatised.

Cold incapacitation: this happens when you get too cold. You get in, and after a couple of minutes of feeling uncomfortable the water feels pleasant. As a novice swimmer, or even as a strong swimmer with limited experience of swimming outdoors, you then attempt to cross the lake, but half way across start feeling cold again. Your body continues to lose heat, blood shunts to the core to keep organs warm. Your muscles lose power, limbs become slow and heavy, and swimming becomes increasingly difficult. This is cold incapacitation and it can all-too-easily lead to drowning. A further effect of cold incapacitation is the loss of coordination we all suffer as we become cold. The bank that previously seemed a safe exit point might now be difficult or even impossible for you to climb as you struggle to grip with your hands, while your limbs are clumsy and numb.

Cramp: cramp can strike anywhere, and some people are more prone than others. If you’re cold, cramp is perhaps more likely. If you do cramp, float on your back and call for help.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
nah, that lake has killed a lot of people, theres a whole section in it's wiki.

Drownings
Due to harsh conditions such as debris, low visibility, whirlpools, strong winds, and cold water temperatures, a number of fatalities related to drowning have occurred at Lake Piru:[12]

In August 1994, 27-year-old Jesus Danilo Carranza drowned in the lake while on an outing with his family, even though he was wearing a life jacket.[13]
In July 1997, Liborio Dominguez of Long Beach drowned in the lake while trying to rescue his daughter. Dominguez’s body was discovered several days later.[13]
In September 1997, 22-year-old Isidro Castillo of Newhall drowned in the lake and his body was found a day later.[13]
In September 1997, rescue workers recovered the body of 30-year-old Ulises Anthony Mendoza of Port Hueneme, who disappeared days earlier while swimming in the lake.[13]
In February 1998, Lake Piru employee Arthur Raymond Caladara was found drowned in the lake. The details of his death are unknown.[13]
In June 1998, the body of 30-year-old Vy Xuan Dang of Garden Grove was found by a park ranger; he was last seen swimming near a boat days earlier.[13]
In September 2000, 25-year-old Eric Cruz of Van Nuys drowned 10 feet from the shore.[13]
On May 16, 2004, 9-year-old Piru resident Denise Arredondo drowned roughly 150 feet from the shore while wading in the water.[14]
On August 25, 2008, 39-year-old Anatoly Naftoli Smolyansky drowned in the lake. Smolyansky was on a boat with his family when his 5-year-old daughter fell into the water. Smolyansky jumped into the water to save her but disappeared beneath the surface as he was pushing her back toward the boat.[15] Smolyansky's 9-year-old son aided in his sister's rescue and both children survived.[16] After a week-long search, Smolyansky's body was found floating north of Diablo Cove by a group of Lake Piru rangers and Ventura County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue divers.[16]
On May 22, 2010, 36-year-old Roberto Barrios disappeared under water while swimming in the lake with friends. His body was found submerged in the lake three days later.[17][18]
On September 11, 2014, the drowned body of a 28-year-old Piru woman was found. The following day, Ventura County Medical Examiner’s Office described the death as a suicide.[19]
On July 8, 2020, actress Naya Rivera disappeared while swimming in the lake and was declared a missing person after her four-year-old son, Josey, was found alone in Rivera's rented pontoon boat.[20] Rivera's body was recovered on the morning of July 13 following an extensive five-day search.[21]

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

it is really easy to overexert yourself and drown in open water. if you're not in a pool or some body of water where you can touch bottom, ALWAYS wear a life jacket, especially if you're swimming by yourself. unless you're an extremely strong and skilled swimmer you can and will panic and drown within shouting distance of help

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

nah, that lake has killed a lot of people, theres a whole section in it's wiki.

that's all recreational lakes. the one near me claims about one person a month due to a combination of drunkenness, bravado, and disregard for the killing power of water. this year only three people drowned for the fourth of july and that's a pretty light year for accidental holiday drownings

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That's hosed up. Thanks for the lesson, I've only swum in pools and small bodies of water. (I've swum in the ocean once and that was supervised at a beach)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

darkwasthenight posted:

Over the centuries lots of people have discovered that swimming in open water takes more effort than you expect - chasing a drifting boat and then dragging yourself onboard from the waterline doubly so. Dive boats have spotters and platforms for a reason. There usually isn't chance for a second lesson unfortunately.
Right, plus the kid was in his life jacket but hers was on the boat. If she'd had it on she might have been able to just let herself drift after getting him on and hope rescue came, but without it...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

Right, plus the kid was in his life jacket but hers was on the boat. If she'd had it on she might have been able to just let herself drift after getting him on and hope rescue came, but without it...

the smart play here would have been to hang on to the kid and then float on her back until she was rested enough to gradually backstroke towards the boat, or until help arrived. you can safely float on your back for a long time

of course, it is super easy to panic and drown. i've very nearly done the same thing swimming in the lake at a teen beach party and the only thing that saved my life was a bunch of teen girls shaming my dumb rear end into wearing a life jacket. i tried to swim across a cove, what seemed like a short distance, but after ten minutes of effort i reached a point where if i was not wearing some kind of floatation aid i would have quietly drowned, because i was definitely freaking out trying to keep my head above water and i was too far from shore for anyone to help me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

luxury handset posted:

the smart play here would have been to hang on to the kid and then float on her back until she was rested enough to gradually backstroke towards the boat, or until help arrived. you can safely float on your back for a long time

that’s not a good option if the 4-year old starts getting hypothermia, though.

gently caress that story’s heartbreaking. :smith: