Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

I have a lot of auditory pareidolia, and one of the things that triggers it is electric fans, which my brain always parses into barely-heard songs. Right now, my bedroom fan is playing me something in the style of early REM, and I’m not loving it.

poo poo, I get the same thing. Mine always resolves to barely heard germanic classical choral music. It's always right on the edge of me being able to identify it.

Even though I know it's certainly pareidolia, there's always a thought in my head of "Is this really a music hallucination, instead? Is this how my slide into a psychotic break begins?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rhandhali, what's the correct way to treat somebody whose trachea needs repair? What should have been done for the baby, for instance? (I don't in any way doubt that the Italian guy is a quack and a monster.)

Late to this.

As far as I can tell, not much. You can do stents to keep collapsing airways open, but those have to be replaced a lot and can worsen obstruction when mucus and crap gets in them. You can dilate areas of stenosis but you can only do so much without the risk of rupture. and the procedure has to be repeated, sometimes perpetually.

I don't know much about surgical options but my understanding is they are limited. In cases of out and out trauma it's easier, but for something that's already healed you might have some ability to use the patient's own cartilage to do patches; that's about it.

General rule is you don't gently caress with upper airway stuff unless you absolutely have to. That's why operating on some of the patients who were otherwise fine except for the hole in their neck was so insane.

Mt. Sinai in New York, if you trust them, has a pilot program for tracheal transplant. Their FAQ says nobody's gotten the surgery since 2017 which should give you some sense of how outrageous Macchiarini's actions were.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Think about how many teenagers kill themselves when a boy/girlfriend breaks up with them. It doesn't take much to bring someone to suicide if they've got problems.

Fair point.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Bussamove posted:

You solved a 25+ year old mystery of “why did I always hear gameboy music in the bathroom when I was a kid and my gameboy wasn’t in there?” For me, so thank you for that.

My shower pareidolia is a ringing telephone. This was not useful in the landline days.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
For years I would often wake up with a song stuck in my head. It wasn't in a dream or anything but as I'm waking up a song just lodges itself in my skull and refuses to go away for a few hours. Right now I got a Live song playing on a loop (just the first verse and chorus) that I haven't heard in years.

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

AlbieQuirky posted:

I have a lot of auditory pareidolia, and one of the things that triggers it is electric fans, which my brain always parses into barely-heard songs. Right now, my bedroom fan is playing me something in the style of early REM, and I’m not loving it.at for y

OMG, is that what that is?!? I've had that for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I hear something vaguely resembling electronic/house music with the beat and everything when my furnace is running and other times it sounds like chamber music. I've never known of anyone else that has this. Those that I've told has teased me that I was going bonkers.

It's great to know there's a term for it.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
When I was little and the air conditioning would turn on in my bedroom, I would hear a bunch of people whispering. Trying to figure out what they were saying would always put me to sleep.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Checking into pareidolia crew. I don't get the music thing, just more muffled voices, or someone left the tv in the living room on. Also I get the whole "song on loop for hours" thing at night as well. No, I don't sleep well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I think that's pretty common. Your brain just wants to make sense of what it's hearing so it relates it to something familiar and similar.

I hear vague stuff resembling music when our fan and AC/furnace are synching in a certain way. If you're distinctly hearing your AC playing Hot for Teacher that's a whole different issue.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes fans can also pick up radio waves and play music, so you might actually be hearing music sometimes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.if...al-explanation/

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Bookish posted:

When I was little and the air conditioning would turn on in my bedroom, I would hear a bunch of people whispering. Trying to figure out what they were saying would always put me to sleep.

Outside of the context, this is a very :stare: statement.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Graedyn posted:

OMG, is that what that is?!? I've had that for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I hear something vaguely resembling electronic/house music with the beat and everything when my furnace is running and other times it sounds like chamber music. I've never known of anyone else that has this. Those that I've told has teased me that I was going bonkers.

It's great to know there's a term for it.

I get that sometimes when i can hear raindrops on the bins outside.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzfZLqreSXk

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Not bad

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The main thing I remember the most from the Last Podcast On The Left episodes about Jonestown is that Jim Jones could arc his piss over a house.

Edit: this is the 4th or 5th time I've mentioned the "pissing over a house" thing in this thread. It really stuck with me. How did he do it?

Untrustable has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Aug 9, 2020

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Untrustable posted:

The main thing I remember the most from the Last Podcast On The Left episodes about Jonestown is that Jim Jones could arc his piss over a house.

Edit: this is the 4th or 5th time I've mentioned the "pissing over a house" thing in this thread. It really stuck with me. How did he do it?

there was a second pisser on the roof

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The originator of Challenge Pissing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I once met a woman who could arc her piss clear across a yard, so I know it could be possible. Like I'm talking she kind of just arched her back, squeezed her pee hole kind of like putting your thumb over the end of a hose, and let fly. So I'd imagine a dude with all that extra pee stored in his balls would have no problem.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I once met a woman who could arc her piss clear across a yard, so I know it could be possible. Like I'm talking she kind of just arched her back, squeezed her pee hole kind of like putting your thumb over the end of a hose, and let fly. So I'd imagine a dude with all that extra pee stored in his balls would have no problem.

Wasn't that the scene they had to delete from the Exorcist?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

This comic encapsulates what it's like to log in to SA every day.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I have found my people.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Back in elementary school our outhouse was quite cramped and ramshackle, with the ceiling only reaching up to about 180cm (6ft), so the boys would frequently hold literal pissing contests in the urinals to see who could piss on the ceiling.

(Oh, what a feeling / When we're pissing on the ceiling)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/10/thirty-year-old-corpse-discovered-cellar-35m-paris-mansion

quote:

Work on restoring an abandoned €35m mansion in one of the most prestigious areas of Paris has been suspended after the discovery of a corpse that had been decomposing in the basement for 30 years, local media have reported.

Minutes from Les Invalides and the French prime minister’s official residence, and backing onto the former home of Yves Saint Laurent, the vast but crumbling complex at 12 rue Oudinot in the heart of Paris had been empty for more than 30 years.

Behind a bricked-off facade, Le Monde said, ivy sprouted from the cracked walls and broken shutters of four imposing buildings once lived in by the poet and playwright François Coppée. A once-elegant garden had been untended since the mid-1980s and was now completely overgrown.

The stuff of estate agents’ dreams, the hôtel particulier – billed as “the last truly significant property in the capital’s most sought-after neighbourhood” – finally sold in January by its owners, a discreet Dutch company, at an auction that lasted barely 15 minutes. The buyer, Jean-Bernard Lafonta, paid €35.1m (£29.9m) – nearly six times the reserve price.

https://twitter.com/monsieurkaplan/status/1219201548452093953

Lafonta, a former director of the French investment firm Wendel and now head of his own industrial holding group, lost no time in February starting work on restoring the property, protected by a strict preservation order, to its former glory, residents told Le Parisien.

But then workmen surveying the site stumbled across the body. “Everyone was devastated to learn it had been there so long, without any of us knowing,” said Sabine Lebreton, the vice-president of a local association dedicated to preserving the mansion.

Le Monde said the corpse, the discovery of which was only recently made public, came to light as workers removed a pile of planks and rubble in one of the mansion’s cellars. Traces of wounds including broken bones and knife cuts prompted police to open a murder investigation, the newspaper said.

Papers found on the body allowed authorities to identify the man as Jean-Pierre Renaud, and his death was dated to about 30 years ago. “He was someone of no fixed abode, with a drink problem,” a police source told Le Monde.

“We could imagine a fight with someone else living on the margin … But it’s unclear whether he died in the mansion or was brought there, and we may never find out who was responsible. It’s quite possible the murderer is himself now dead.”

Renaud’s children have been located and informed of their father’s death, police said, and Lafonta, the new owner, has declined to comment. Work on the abandoned mansion is expected to start again after the summer.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Welp, this building's haunted now. :ghost:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zopotantor posted:

Welp, this building's haunted now. :ghost:

That's just what you call a history. It'd be a disappointing abandoned mansion without at least one ghost.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

You called him a sex pest earlier. I've done a bunch of googling and looking around Twitter and can't turn up anything - what is he supposed to have done?

I was wondering the same thing

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
How about a mysterious lake, high up in the Himalayas, filled with corpses?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
have a sip

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

New Wave Jose posted:

I was wondering the same thing
I've seen this be done on the forums multiple times. Like people who throw out the vague sexpest accusation to then just either never answer what it's about or later go "oh my bad, was thinking of someone else!". I kind of wish that it was mandatory to post some proof of accusations when doing that.
Maybe they just don't like how overly sexual he is on the pod? Which I kinda get.

I just naturally stopped listening to them after they signed that exclusive with spotify and I don't want to use spotify+ they spoke so much about just being their own small brand so it irked me a bit. In hindsight I listened to them for the lack of something that suited me better but now I have a backlog of like 100+ unlistened episodes of stuff I like a lot so I don't think I'll ever get the urge to listen to them again regardless.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Wouldn't that suck, hiking all the way up there, getting camp set up and then boiling some water for dinner...oh. Oh ew.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Scathach posted:

Wouldn't that suck, hiking all the way up there, getting camp set up and then boiling some water for dinner...oh. Oh ew.

People would pay a lot of money for artisanal bone broth.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That would be a fun place to pilgrimage to with the intent of joining the skeletons

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I refuse to believe they were killed by hail. If that's not an ancient UFO dumping ground, then I don't know what is.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Not my region of study but thats reaaaally screaming ritual sacrifice.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Aug 14, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Telsa Cola posted:

Not my region of study but thats reaaaally screaming ritual sacrifice.

Isn't there some running joke where if archeologists have no idea what a thing is they just say it had ritualistic purposes or something?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think that's for dildos.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

christmas boots posted:

Isn't there some running joke where if archeologists have no idea what a thing is they just say it had ritualistic purposes or something?

If my undergrad anthropology class was any indication, absolutely yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A pretty famous example are these roman dodecahedrons.

They're all over the place and no one could figure out what they were for. Turns out they're probably for knitting gloves, as discovered by bored grannies.