Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Roundup Ready posted:

Agreed, but with Evans it's almost kinda endearing. He knows he sucks at it, admits it, and always makes fun of himself for it. Sophie calls him out on it a lot as well, which usually leads to some good tangents.

I'm of the opinion that he is making it part of his goofy brand. Everything he talks about is usually the worst of the worst humanity has to offer so throwing this in for a bit of levity makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Inceltown posted:

I'm of the opinion that he is making it part of his goofy brand. Everything he talks about is usually the worst of the worst humanity has to offer so throwing this in for a bit of levity makes sense.

I think hbomberguy does a similar bit.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Everyone trying to ape Matt Berry...

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Considering how Ottoman families work, your brothers and half-brothers may as well be complete strangers to one another.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Samovar posted:

Everyone trying to ape Matt Berry...

Tucson arizoñia

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Inceltown posted:

When it comes to loving up names of English people or places, it's definitely a deliberate choice. Although he did recently gently caress up the name of a Scottish whisky (Port Ruighe) which did catch my ear - it's a Scots name, and they shouldn't be tarred with the sins of the English!

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

A pet peeve of mine is history tubers mangling the pronunciation of non-English names or words and admitting they don't know how to pronounce it. They're doing hours of research but can't be bothered to spend a few minutes to learn pronunciations.

Particularly old white people, but its still most white people of any age.

They will screw it up a name every time just so they don't have to be embarrassed getting it wrong, or OR! be embarrassed getting it RIGHT around other white people. That last one is the worst.

Wee has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Feb 2, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

christmas boots posted:

Tucson arizoñia

I read in an interview that some of the reason for Matt Berry's weird word choices and name substitutions is that he has dyslexia and if he doesn't immediately recognise a word, his brain will helpfully fill in another word instead. So he's spun that into comedy gold for us, which I think is awesome.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Cross-posted:

https://twitter.com/emollick/status/1620152940660146177?s=46&t=X1e2ANqvvO3ZCQ8AB32DhQ

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

I feel like a loving idiot b/c this has been posted several places but what is going on with that graph? It looks like a win correlates with increased sentence length not a loss? Or losses result in greater variability in sentencing? The argument makes sense and I believe it but it looks like a terrible graph to support the point. I have no clue how it is supposed to be read.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
"Increase in disposition length for an LSU loss versus a win as a function of the pregame point spread"

:psyduck:

At first glance I didn't blow up the graph, and assumed they just check the dates of the games and the results of the games, and then look at the figured based on that.

I guess I don't understand math enough for this to make any sense to me :(

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Waste of Breath posted:

I feel like a loving idiot b/c this has been posted several places but what is going on with that graph? It looks like a win correlates with increased sentence length not a loss? Or losses result in greater variability in sentencing? The argument makes sense and I believe it but it looks like a terrible graph to support the point. I have no clue how it is supposed to be read.

The mention of the pregame point spread is an indicator of how sports people expect the game to go. If LSU was having a bad year or facing an equivalent opponent and the expectation was a loss or a close win, there wasn’t much change in average sentencing.

But if LSU was assumed by sports people to dominate the game and they lost significantly, that’s where that rise at the end of the top line happens — an increase in average sentencing.

Louisiana’s judicial system and law enforcement are comprised of extremely delicate flowers and if their sworn blood rivals defeat their team, they will pull over people with that rival’s bumper stickers and knock out a tail light so they have an excuse to punish the person who is a fan of The Wrong Team.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

🆗 That makes way more sense, thank you for explaining!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

HopperUK posted:

I get it. It's the same thing as if I'm reading and there's a misplaced comma or a typo. It's not a huge deal and probably most people wouldn't be bothered by it or even notice. But for me, I get distracted thinking about the word, and what the right spelling/pronunciation is, and wondering if it's a regional variant or I was wrong, and I lose all focus and flow.

e: to improve this snipe -I looked up Jane Goodall's book on google books and read the bit about that chimpanzee war, and it was horrifying. But not quite as horrifying as the story just before it about the female chimp who would eat the babies of another female in her group. Deliberately, and with apparent relish.

If you haven't seen it already, I'd recommend Cunk on Earth on Netflix. It's a sobering look at history and its affects on modern society. Very accurate and well done.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

A Very American Death.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

That's pretty much par for the course with AZ cops. One of the reasons I moved. Jesus.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17J5hLWBlA

This whole channel is really good, but for a rarely heard of piece, Jesus Christ what Anna Guryeva went through

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

It’s no longer shocking but still infuriating that people I know in Louisiana who would regularly do meth “just a little bit so I can clean the house” or “as a weekend thing” would constantly talk about unhoused Black people and mentally ill Black people like they don’t deserve to live because “they must be on something”. Calling up all those slave trade stereotypes of the uncontrolled beast with superhuman strength as an excuse for why they didn’t offer help or call paramedics.

For people to watch a teenager in such agony and just shake their heads or ignore him… jesus christ.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Busket Posket posted:

It’s no longer shocking but still infuriating that people I know in Louisiana who would regularly do meth “just a little bit so I can clean the house” or “as a weekend thing” would constantly talk about unhoused Black people and mentally ill Black people like they don’t deserve to live because “they must be on something”. Calling up all those slave trade stereotypes of the uncontrolled beast with superhuman strength as an excuse for why they didn’t offer help or call paramedics.

For people to watch a teenager in such agony and just shake their heads or ignore him… jesus christ.
I know someone who spent 3 weeks on unemployment who went on a couple shroom trips only to rail about people on unemployment doing drugs on the taxpayer dime a year later

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
If people could put themselves in others’ shoes this thread wouldn’t exist

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

8 Ball posted:

If people could put themselves in others’ shoes this thread wouldn’t exist

Putting yourself in others shoes is the easy part - the hard part is killing them, dismembering them, framing a yeti, and then taking the shoes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

luchadornado posted:

Putting yourself in others shoes is the easy part - the hard part is killing them, dismembering them, framing a yeti, and then taking the shoes.

Oh, just one more thing, Mr Luchadornado. Those shoes you're wearing. Size six. A little small for a man your age. My nephew, he's got feet on the small side, and always complaining about how hard it is to get them in his size. Same size as the victim's shoes, in fact.

So anyway, if these shoes are so small, why would bigfoot take them?

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
This is a bit of a shot in the dark but I can't seem to get the right search terms to find this and I think it was linked in this thread.

It was an article about a true crime community fixated on a long cold Jane doe found, they eventually paid for the body to have modern dna tests which successfully found living relatives but they didn't want to go public and give back story about the Jane does life and even though the community did what they set out to do, the fact they didn't get a satisfying narrative conclusion left a lot of them angry.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

You're not talking about "The Christmas Tree Lady", are you?

https://who13.com/news/christmas-tree-lady-identified-as-iowa-woman-25-years-after-her-death/

If it's not her, then it's going to bug me too because I know the story you're talking about and I thought it was this one.

EDIT: Although, after a little digging, it seems like some of the details are a better fit for The Boy In The Box. Nothing else has been released since the initial identification that I could see, and there were some news stories at the time that suggested he had some relation to a prominent family in the area.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Feb 11, 2023

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

You're not talking about "The Christmas Tree Lady", are you?

https://who13.com/news/christmas-tree-lady-identified-as-iowa-woman-25-years-after-her-death/

If it's not her, then it's going to bug me too because I know the story you're talking about and I thought it was this one.

EDIT: Although, after a little digging, it seems like some of the details are a better fit for The Boy In The Box. Nothing else has been released since the initial identification that I could see, and there were some news stories at the time that suggested he had some relation to a prominent family in the area.

Lyle Stevik is another case where the deceased was finally identified, but no name was ever released and family has barely said anything.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Anybody upset about not getting more juicy deets about a dead stranger's life is a loving weirdo. Getting a name release for some random who died in the previous millennium is just gonna give this, anyway:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

The Libearian posted:

This is a bit of a shot in the dark but I can't seem to get the right search terms to find this and I think it was linked in this thread.

It was an article about a true crime community fixated on a long cold Jane doe found, they eventually paid for the body to have modern dna tests which successfully found living relatives but they didn't want to go public and give back story about the Jane does life and even though the community did what they set out to do, the fact they didn't get a satisfying narrative conclusion left a lot of them angry.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Lori Erica Ruff?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Erica_Ruff

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Hi all.
Thank you for trying, Im 90% sure the article was in this thread so will just have to do a reread and hope it wasn't too long ago.

The article wasn't particularly about the Jane doe herself but was about the community devoted to her and had like a load of interviews with members talking about how hurt and betrayed they were that the family wasn't taking Internet weirdos feelings into account and none of them had a single shred of introspection about it

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

The Libearian posted:

Hi all.
Thank you for trying, Im 90% sure the article was in this thread so will just have to do a reread and hope it wasn't too long ago.

The article wasn't particularly about the Jane doe herself but was about the community devoted to her and had like a load of interviews with members talking about how hurt and betrayed they were that the family wasn't taking Internet weirdos feelings into account and none of them had a single shred of introspection about it
I'm pretty sure that I'm the one who posted about her in this thread so I went back in my posts and found this.

Sarcopenia posted:

The identity of Lori Erica Ruff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Erica_Ruff has been found.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...hief-lori-ruff/

The real story is very underwhelming and this article is not very well written.
Hope that it's what you were looking for.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is JCS posting new content again? I've seen videos go up and down but they were always older. A video I hadn't seen went up the other day (guy spends $250k of dad's money on cam girl, bad things happen, features a truly awful interviewer). I don't know if I missed it or it's new, but I hope the latter. It's easily the best in the tiny "commentary on police interviews" genre.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

BrianRx posted:

Is JCS posting new content again? I've seen videos go up and down but they were always older. A video I hadn't seen went up the other day (guy spends $250k of dad's money on cam girl, bad things happen, features a truly awful interviewer). I don't know if I missed it or it's new, but I hope the latter. It's easily the best in the tiny "commentary on police interviews" genre.

I think that one was a re-upload of an older episode? I don’t know why, but YouTube really seems to watch JCS like a hawk and immediately take down their videos. I highly recommend Dreading if you are looking for an alternative that is actually allowed to upload frequently.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Nah, that video is a re-edit of an old one, but the pinned comment from it does mention new content coming soon.

JCS - Criminal Psychology • • 1 day ago posted:

Hey guys, this is a vid from 2019 that's been remade to fit with the guidelines. Some of you will have seen parts of it, sorry about that. We've been working on something new that will come out as a series, either next week, or the week after. Thanks again for sticking with us, big love x

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
i enjoyed jcs and while I’m still happy that community introduced me to (Legend of) Jeff’s youtube, I think it’s worthwhile to watch Münecat’s take on behavioral forensics, the impacts of of which I found unnerving tbqh https://youtu.be/Y0VQyEY-B2I

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
If they cant have their full video content and have to edit specifically for Youtube, why don't they sell digital copies of their complete unedited videos or something.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Piss Creep posted:

If they cant have their full video content and have to edit specifically for Youtube, why don't they sell digital copies of their complete unedited videos or something.

I think they fell rear end backwards into being successful on an old configuration of youtube’s algorithm, and don’t have much more to say/content to comment but it’s easier to blame being censored than not having content or release lovely content.

They could easily make a Patreon or onlyfans or alt-youtube situation otherwise

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Having experienced the reality of several VA medical centers throughout this great land, I can say with authority that there is no middle ground between:

a) “oh you need a surgery to live? sorry we don’t offer it here (either because half our staff quit or we only do surgeries found in the 1985 Surgeon’s Handbook), but the VA two states over does, so we’ll write you a referral for physical therapy so if you can’t get a ride 12 hours away you’re still screwed out of your option to go to a non-VA clinic”, or

b) “you sneezed? well you’re in luck! the sales rep for these highly invasive surgical devices gave me a Nintendo Switch, so we’re going to go ahead and replace your sinuses with these Medtronic SinuStax 7800 and the accompanying $1200 battery and $3600 charger, then replace each nose hair with the Medtronic CiliaMax implants. you WILL need to upgrade your phone though because without the Medtronic app they won’t filter any dust or bacteria.”

Steak dinners, sales reps and risky procedures: Inside the big business of clogged arteries

The suit, filed in 2017 by a sales representative for a competing medical device firm, alleges an illegal kickback scheme between Medtronic and hospital employees. According to the complaint and documents released in the suit, between 2011 and 2018, VA health care workers received steakhouse dinners, Apple electronics and NASCAR tickets, and in turn, Medtronic secured a lucrative contract with the hospital.

Meanwhile, the company’s representatives allegedly “groomed and trained” physicians at the facility, who then deployed the company’s devices even when it was not medically indicated.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

i enjoyed jcs and while I’m still happy that community introduced me to (Legend of) Jeff’s youtube, I think it’s worthwhile to watch Münecat’s take on behavioral forensics, the impacts of of which I found unnerving tbqh https://youtu.be/Y0VQyEY-B2I

Thanks that was an awesome and terrifying video

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Busket Posket posted:

Having experienced the reality of several VA medical centers throughout this great land, I can say with authority that there is no middle ground between:

a) “oh you need a surgery to live? sorry we don’t offer it here (either because half our staff quit or we only do surgeries found in the 1985 Surgeon’s Handbook), but the VA two states over does, so we’ll write you a referral for physical therapy so if you can’t get a ride 12 hours away you’re still screwed out of your option to go to a non-VA clinic”, or

b) “you sneezed? well you’re in luck! the sales rep for these highly invasive surgical devices gave me a Nintendo Switch, so we’re going to go ahead and replace your sinuses with these Medtronic SinuStax 7800 and the accompanying $1200 battery and $3600 charger, then replace each nose hair with the Medtronic CiliaMax implants. you WILL need to upgrade your phone though because without the Medtronic app they won’t filter any dust or bacteria.”

Steak dinners, sales reps and risky procedures: Inside the big business of clogged arteries

The suit, filed in 2017 by a sales representative for a competing medical device firm, alleges an illegal kickback scheme between Medtronic and hospital employees. According to the complaint and documents released in the suit, between 2011 and 2018, VA health care workers received steakhouse dinners, Apple electronics and NASCAR tickets, and in turn, Medtronic secured a lucrative contract with the hospital.

Meanwhile, the company’s representatives allegedly “groomed and trained” physicians at the facility, who then deployed the company’s devices even when it was not medically indicated.

Chicago area VA (Hines) is absolutely incredible and has been a miracle for my father's care. I've never in the United States medical system seen a human being treated so well, which, you know, low bar and all, but it's made me a die hard believer that the VA can work.

He refused to use his benefits earned during Vietnam until a couple years ago because he felt other guys needed it more than him, and they've since diagnosed him with PTSD, got him on full disability, cataract surgery, got him hearing aids, physical therapy, several long term hospital stays where he is well cared for, installed a ramp at his home, etc, etc. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, it's been just non-stop care.

Not discounting other experiences, just putting one point in the win column.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't see it was a re-upload so thought it was funny JCS did a case that was done to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Slugworth posted:

Chicago area VA (Hines) is absolutely incredible and has been a miracle for my father's care. I've never in the United States medical system seen a human being treated so well, which, you know, low bar and all, but it's made me a die hard believer that the VA can work.

He refused to use his benefits earned during Vietnam until a couple years ago because he felt other guys needed it more than him, and they've since diagnosed him with PTSD, got him on full disability, cataract surgery, got him hearing aids, physical therapy, several long term hospital stays where he is well cared for, installed a ramp at his home, etc, etc. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, it's been just non-stop care.

Not discounting other experiences, just putting one point in the win column.

My experience with the VA health system has been pretty decent tbh, and the idiocy I've encountered has been more due to needing medical care in July and being seen by doctors who were med students a few weeks ago (i.e., it took them two series of x-rays, a CT scan, an MRI, and a full blood panel to diagnose that I had a stress fracture in an unusual place and not a bone tumor).

On the other hand, I've had some buddies try repeatedly to get seen for hugely needed care and get neglected repeatedly, including a friend who went to a VA ER with suicidal ideation and was told that they couldn't do anything for him.

(also lol I very briefly considered approaching the VA for gender affirming care but have decided there's no way in hell they're going to be competent with that)