Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Golden Gael posted:

Is anyone familiar with Ashida Kim or similar martial arts frauds (like Count Dante)? I'm thinking of going that route for what I'll research next.

There’s a Netflix doc about the Valley’s infamous John Kreese blowing up right about now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

that show is precisely why I'm in a martial arts mood

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
"Some kind of brain found on beach."

https://www.wisn.com/article/some-kind-of-brain-found-on-racine-beach/34044753

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

The Racine County Medical Examiner's Office said the brain was determined to not be from a human.

They believe it is from a small mammal, possibly a cat.

It's not clear who left it at the beach or why.

Investigators have also not said whether it may be the brain of an animal.

:tinfoil:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, it just looks like somebody went on a picnic and didn’t finish all their brain, so they chucked it into the ocean like it’s a car battery or something.

Are cats not animals now? Are they classified as demons or something?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Golden Gael posted:

Is anyone familiar with Ashida Kim or similar martial arts frauds (like Count Dante)? I'm thinking of going that route for what I'll research next.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Dux

Guy is 100% full of poo poo and they made the movie Bloodsport based off his tall tales. I'd love a good deep dive into him.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xue_family_murder_and_abandonment

Found out about this rear end in a top hat via Casefile, martial arts fakery isn't a huge part of his story but he already had a reputation for being full of poo poo by the time he murdered his wife

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Which martial artist guy was it that filmed himself getting a homeless guy off the street and then "accidentally" killed him?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Which martial artist guy was it that filmed himself getting a homeless guy off the street and then "accidentally" killed him?

I know what you're talking about, but can't remember exactly where or who. Let me dig a bit.

edit:
Bobby Joe Blythe and Willie Junior Dennis. You can look it up yourselves because the video is really hosed up.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Sep 20, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There’s a Netflix doc about the Valley’s infamous John Kreese blowing up right about now

oh you're making a glib statement about cobra kai. I was wondering wtf documentary you were talking about lol

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Dux

Guy is 100% full of poo poo and they made the movie Bloodsport based off his tall tales. I'd love a good deep dive into him.

Actually, one of my pals has you covered on that front. It's his first video but it's a great story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vh4wbNy3Vo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

oh you're making a glib statement about cobra kai. I was wondering wtf documentary you were talking about lol

wait till you see HBO's documentary series on Karate's Bad Boy Mike Barnes

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

MrMidnight posted:

Wh...what

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Miss posted:

Wh...what

Bobby Joe Blythe

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Pretty good posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xue_family_murder_and_abandonment

Found out about this rear end in a top hat via Casefile, martial arts fakery isn't a huge part of his story but he already had a reputation for being full of poo poo by the time he murdered his wife

The roommates discovering that their houseguest was a fugitive murder supsect because he couldn't resist doing one of his signature karate poses is a beautiful bit of WTF levity in an otherwise really sad story.

Speaking of Casefile, I gave Chasing Charlie a try after he did an ad read for it. It's an interesting little podcast if you're looking for something like Dirty John. It's a story about a serial con artist, general manipulator and abuser. It does have a slightly unique thing going for it where instead of a journalist doing the reporting it's the private investigator who followed him off and on for 7 years trying to get a good lock on him to set up an arrest.

I enjoyed it overall. Warning that they don't really give you a heads up on how dark the first episode gets. It swings into outright domestic abuse pretty abruptly. It's also a little too salacious and drifts into some voyeurism at times. There's definitely some sex life details that didn't need to be there except as red meat for the listeners. The PI side of it is also a little cringy, since she really likes to cast herself as a Noir character. Also the audio from some of the interviews is poor quality, but I managed to get through it. It's not a bad break if you don't want another murder story.

Parakeet vs. Phone has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Sep 21, 2020

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The roommates discovering that their houseguest was a fugitive murder supsect because he couldn't resist doing one of his signature karate poses is a beautiful bit of WTF levity in an otherwise really sad story.

Along with:

quote:

"They had basically taken his pants and tied his legs up and taken his belt off and tied his hands up, so he was very much in custody by the time our officers got to the scene," he said [...] When told Xue was an apparent martial arts expert, Bender replied: "Not today, he wasn't."

quote:

Johnson said police received a call from a man who said he recognized Xue as someone wanted for murder in New Zealand.

When officers arrived “Neither the suspect nor the six people spoke English. They actually handed the officer a copy of the article (in the Chinese newspaper) and pointed to the picture and pointed to him (Xue),” Johnson said.

I now very much want to know the pantomime for "John Walsh"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey whoever the goon that is the YouTube channel anomaly, I loving loved those eva references in the piece about clonaid.

You do really great stuff man.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey whoever the goon that is the YouTube channel anomaly, I loving loved those eva references in the piece about clonaid.

You do really great stuff man.

I'm really really glad to hear and you'll be glad to hear I stuff them in most of the documentaries. The Papa John's one literally has its thumbnail based on the poster for EoE.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Goddam, this is like what would happen if cobra kai was a real dojo and not bad guys in an 80s family classic. The ending of that fight in the video is indisputably straight up murder and then within seconds Blythe is going “drag him out back.” Then he goes out of his way to film the blood trail and state the date and time? The 80s were wild.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Sep 22, 2020

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Scare Theatre has a 9 minute video about the ordeal from a few years ago. My question to you guys is, would it be worthwhile to do my own focusing on Bobby Joe Blythe beyond just what happened to Kung Fu Guy? Or is that just retreading something someone else has already covered?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goddam, this is like what would happen if cobra kai was a real dojo and not bad guys in an 80s family classic. The ending of that fight in the video is indisputably straight up murder and then within seconds Blythe is going “drag him out back.” Then he goes out of his way to film the blood trail and state the date and time? The 80s were wild.
The worst part to me is that the dead guy hasn't been positively identified yet, altho it looks like there's a solid lead? Like it's insane how you can just beat someone so badly on video and nobody even knows that person's name for decades. And Bobby Jo Blythe never got arrested even with the video being circulated? I can see how it's hard to prove murder without a body but there's still surely crimes going on in that video.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

The Golden Gael posted:

that show is precisely why I'm in a martial arts mood

It's an old story, and from the UK, but try the Astounding Saga of Tony 'Taming the Tiger' Anthony, Christian Evangelist and Registered Lethal Weapon:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/28/tony-anthony-kung-fu-sham

I was trekking the Pennine Way when I found a copy of 'Taming the Tiger' in a youth hostel. Reading it in a nearby pub and stuffing my face with lasagne and chips whilst on a post-20-mile-walk endorphin high led to some of the weirdest dreams I've ever had in my entire goddamn life. 10/10 would read his fantasies about being trained in the snow by his Chinese assassin grandpa again. Also he accidentally ran over a lady motorcyclist once, and felt kinda sad about her dying of it, but it turns out that Jesus is a diamond geezer at the whole forgiveness thing.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Anthony_(evangelist)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Carnival of Shrews posted:

It's an old story, and from the UK, but try the Astounding Saga of Tony 'Taming the Tiger' Anthony, Christian Evangelist and Registered Lethal Weapon:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/28/tony-anthony-kung-fu-sham

I was trekking the Pennine Way when I found a copy of 'Taming the Tiger' in a youth hostel. Reading it in a nearby pub and stuffing my face with lasagne and chips whilst on a post-20-mile-walk endorphin high led to some of the weirdest dreams I've ever had in my entire goddamn life. 10/10 would read his fantasies about being trained in the snow by his Chinese assassin grandpa again. Also he accidentally ran over a lady motorcyclist once, and felt kinda sad about her dying of it, but it turns out that Jesus is a diamond geezer at the whole forgiveness thing.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Anthony_(evangelist)

I love this and want to read into it further. You might have given me the idea I need!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh boy :D

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

The Golden Gael posted:

I love this and want to read into it further. You might have given me the idea I need!

Have at it. Full title is 'Taming the Tiger: From the Depths of Hell to the Heights of Glory'. I loved this book so much that I snagged a second-hand copy off Ebay for myself, 'cos gently caress giving this guy cash. But no-one who checks both this thread and Bad Books regularly could be disappointed with it.

Due to his literally incredible claims, a pretty thorough investigation was done on Anthony by the UK Evangelical Alliance, duly leaked, and is viewable on the second link below. By far the most damning thing is the hit-and-run he committed in 2000 which killed a motorcyclist (he left her dying in the road), so it's necessary to dig a bit for the more fun kung-fu bodyguard bullshit:

https://www.premierchristianity.com/Past-Issues/2013/September-2013/Shaming-the-Tiger
https://www.docdroid.net/KALs35J/report-to-the-board-of-directors-of-avanti-engrossment-copy-pdf

The real moral of the story is that once he was unmasked as an utter fraud and all-round human shitshow...nothing happened to him. He found a low-rent publisher for Taming the Tiger, and AFAIK is an Evangelical preacher to this day. Here's his website. Guess what's the first thing on the landing page slideshow?

https://www.tonyanthony.co.uk/

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Sep 23, 2020

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The Golden Gael posted:

Scare Theatre has a 9 minute video about the ordeal from a few years ago. My question to you guys is, would it be worthwhile to do my own focusing on Bobby Joe Blythe beyond just what happened to Kung Fu Guy? Or is that just retreading something someone else has already covered?

I would be interested! Go for it.

MrMidnight has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Sep 23, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
:justpost:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Golden Gael posted:

I'm really really glad to hear and you'll be glad to hear I stuff them in most of the documentaries. The Papa John's one literally has its thumbnail based on the poster for EoE.

Yeah I've seen them all and forgot lol. It was just really appropriate for the child cloning and global conspiracy.

Also thanks for not covering the same tired weirdos in the same tired styles.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Sep 24, 2020

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Some developments in Australia lately.

The "Claremont Killer" was found guilty of killing two of the three victims, several young women who vanished from the same city in the late 90s. They're assumed to be responsible for all three but the body of the third was never found so there wasn't enough evidence to convict. They were originally arrested in 2016 so this isn't a sudden development but it's good closure for the families. Decent summary of the case: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-24/claremont-killer-bradley-edwards-guilty-rimmer-glennon-murders/12426210

There's also a technically-missing-persons case going on. It doesn't really belong here beyond being another example of people making terrible decisions, but I'm too grumpy about the whole situation to delete it. It's also kind of weird to have an interview of the guy boasting about how safe he was about a fortnight before his hubris killed him.

September 7: A man buys an old fishing boat as a "restoration project", and plans to sail it back home with another person. Their last contact to a friend mentions engine trouble and then several days pass without any sign of them, but there are no distress calls, flares or EPIRBs (locator beacon) detected.

September 10: After the largest search in that state's history fails to find any trace of them and is called off, the pair make contact just hours later after getting within cell phone range. They are unaware that anyone was looking for them, and hadn't thought it important to tell anyone that their journey would take several extra days after their propeller was damaged and their top speed was reduced. The owner talks openly to the media (both give comments but the other guy is just happy to see his family again and has had enough adventure).

quote:

"I feel fine, I've been doing this s*** all my life, it's only everyone else who's freaking out"
"This is not my first rodeo, I've been out in cyclones, this is just a walk in the park."
"If [rescuers] hadn't turned up, I'd have been sneaking through the channel, up the river, I'd be parked on the jetty now swilling beer!"
"It's a very seaworthy boat — a very seaworthy vessel"
they did not consider themselves lost and had "back-up plan on back-up plan on back-up plan"
Beyond the damaged propeller, the boat was apparently taking on water, its EPIRB had an out-of-date battery, the flares had expired, and he didn't have an appropriate licence for it.

Some days pass. The boat runs aground on a sandbank temporarily while docking to buy supplies.

September 22: A distress call is picked up, and a new search-and-rescue operation gets underway.

September 25:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Speaking of interesting Australian serial killers, wasn't there a theory that the Golden State Killer committed some out there? I'm assuming that fizzled out with the arrest, but was there ever anymore closure about that? Or was it maybe they thought it was the Zodiac that did a few?

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Speaking of interesting Australian serial killers, wasn't there a theory that the Golden State Killer committed some out there? I'm assuming that fizzled out with the arrest, but was there ever anymore closure about that? Or was it maybe they thought it was the Zodiac that did a few?

That would be Mr. Cruel, there were some similarities with the MO. Now we know there's no connection, but before the arrest this was a pretty popular theory.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was this the thread that someone mentioned the ancient mideast levantine neanderthals hypothesis? I remember it being pretty interesting if not exactly convincing

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was this the thread that someone mentioned the ancient mideast levantine neanderthals hypothesis? I remember it being pretty interesting if not exactly convincing

What was the gist of it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That human civilization ran into the neanderthals in the levant and were violently subsumed by their culture and it forever corrupted our behavior. It was weird and unlikely but also intriguing. I don't think there's any evidence of it from any anthropologist I've ever heard of. It was in PYF I'm pretty sure just not this thread (that I've found).

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sounds like an interesting idea, but when I googled it there's a lot of racists on "Germanic culture forums" talking about how Jewish people are an evolutionary throwback :(

E: that's interesting in the sense of "good background for an sf novel", not "scientifically interesting", sounds like a load of bollocks.

Safety Biscuits has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Sep 26, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah it wasn't in this thread but damned if I can remember which one. Sorry for sullying your internet history more than it already is

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

queserasera posted:

Found this real piece of work through the wiki thread: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_Bar-Jonah

Wait what?? They go from one horrific assault to another like nothing ever came of him nearly raping children to death, how did he keep evading even small slaps on the wrist?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Because nobody really cares about children as much as they pretend they do.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People right now call the cops after being robbed, assaulted and raped, and get shrugs and annoyed dismissal. It's not what the cops see their job as to deal with.

That's not even to mention all the ones who call the cops and they or their loved ones end up being gunned down cause cops respond to every scene like it's a warzone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

For all that it is incredibly hosed up now, it really is important not to ignore the fact that this is actually better. The current situation is literally much better than it was.

Rogan and Joey Diaz have stories about it from like the 70s that show how different it was then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTud_KQswo8

Edit: there are apparently more than one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJFJJI88LK4

I just find this poo poo super scary cause I totally would have been that kid who didn't know something was up until it happened

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Sep 26, 2020