Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What kept going through my head when that happened was the multitude of other, far better solutions to the problem. Dude couldn't just let them get in the basement and lock them down there until the cops showed up, or hire home security professionals to better secure the property in the first place (he'd already paid for the security system, why not more sturdy entrance doors and locks?), or hide in the dark with a starter pistol and scare the crap out of the thieves--he was determined to actually kill people. That was his goal. "I'm going to let them get in and I'm going to loving kill them," is undoubtedly what he was thinking. What a piece of poo poo.

"Fox News host Sean Hannity supported Smith's actions on his show citing the fact that the teens broke into Smith's house to commit a robbery. Another guest on the show agreed, stating: “The guy should get a medal of freedom for what he did.” Geraldo Rivera also stated that he would have shot them as well".

God Bless America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Stairs posted:

A million times this. My teenage daughter has real diagnosed OCD and sometimes the stuff she does makes her so upset that she cries while she's doing it.
gently caress people that giggle and say "OMG I'm so ocd!" because they like to straighten the pencils on their desks. My daughter just called me because she washed her hands too much and one's bleeding.

Agreed, and sorry to hear about your daughter. What type of help is she getting? It really is something that is ingrained deep in the mind and I'm sure we don't really understand much about the mental disorder.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

This was posted in the previous thread.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/unid.html

A sad story behind each one.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That neither scary or unnerving. It's heartwarming is what it is. Thanks for sharing.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I Might Be Adam posted:

I had never heard of Corll and I've lived in Houston my whole life.

Same. Its especially unnerving knowing that I've driven past and partied many times in the Heights without ever knowing all of this.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Let's not neglect the fantastic HBO documentary on it: There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane.

Yeah, I'm curious in watching it after reading the wiki page.

Here's some hosed up poo poo:

"On July 26, 2011, the day after the premiere of HBO's documentary on the subject, There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane, and on the second anniversary of the crash, Daniel Schuler announced that he is suing the State of New York for not keeping the road safe and his brother-in-law Warren Hance for being the owner of the minivan."

The husband actually sues the father of the 3 young girls who passed away because he owned the mini-van. How loving cold can you get.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

It's been shown on television up to the moment she pulls the trigger. I saw it on some E! (the channel that used to do Talk Soup) special when I was a kid. I remember she pulled the gun out of a blue plastic bag.

I found this but it didn't have any actual footage from the suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBi1OK99swU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That 70s Shirt posted:

The poor girl was in tears in the car after leaving.

Yeah its definitely hosed up, but it seems like the two actually kept up a friendship afterwards. It must not have affected her that much to keep hanging out with the old cannibal guy you banged on camera.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

Look at this Facebook message her mom made in October 2014:

It's been such a long time at this point. I really don't want to know how the rest of her aside from the face looks. They must have used a poo poo ton of make-up.

Never underestimate the power of denial.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

NuminaXLT posted:

Not Wikipedia, but http://murderpedia.org/female.I/i/isa-maria.htm or http://murderpedia.org/male.I/i/isa-zein.htm
Their daughter was a normal teen going to school in Missouri, however "After learning that Palestina had taken a part-time job without her parents' permission, and dated a non-Muslim African American man, her father felt she had become too Westernized. On the day of her murder, Zein repeatedly stabbed his daughter Tina, while her mother Maria held her down."

And coincidently the audio was caught on tape, her father Zein, was part of the Abu Nidal Organization which had been planning a bombing of the Isrellai Embassy in Washington, DC so the FBI had bugged their house. Which led to the arrest of both of them.

The father tried to say the murder was in self defense because she had "shammed her family and needed to restore honor".

The murderpedia article has a transcript,.. the only Wikipedia article i found that mentioned it was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing_in_the_United_States

Just unnerving that to someone that MURDER is their response to a sixteen year old liking different stuff than your parents. Which is pretty much what every teen does anyways.

I dated an Arabic girl for 3 years (about 15 years ago...how time flies). Long story but she eventually ran away from home (Houston) to be with me during my first two years at college (Austin) due to her parents disapproving of our relationship. When that happened her parents would threaten, stalk and send people to follow us everywhere. She was old enough that the police couldn't do anything but that didn't stop them.

We eventually separated for other reasons but looking back now we were pretty lucky neither of us were physically harmed or worse. Thanks to Facebook I learned she's now married to who (I assume) isn't muslim so I hope the family learned to accept and adopt the culture here.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's an episode of this (I might have posted about it since) that features the infamous 3 guys 1 hammer video. There is audio of the events, and if you closed it for the (what i thought was obvious) fantasy of the cannibal paedophile episode, you're going to vomit when you get to that one. if you get to that one, don't listen to it.

I can take pretty bad poo poo (I used to work in a morgue), but that loving audio will haunt me forever.

Is this about those Russian teenagers? I thought it was just 2 guys...I hope there's not another hammer video out there I don't know about.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

pookel posted:

Well, that led me to a very creepy Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immurement

Pretty hosed up picture on the wiki page.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Yeah Jesus Christ. I also like the line "Some ambiguous evidence exists of immurement as a practice of coffin-type confinement in Mongolia" right next to the loving picture of a Mongolian woman confined to a coffin-like crate.

Poor lady managed to get one arm out but she probably killed herself faster due to asphyxiation.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Even worse? The mother posts pics of her on Instagram, and you can tell that the skin on the extremities is going necrotic. The mother also poses her to be like 'look, she can sit cross-legged!' 'Oh ho ho, my daughter (who certainly isn't a slowly rotting husk!) is trying to get out of bed. This woman is doting over a slowly decaying corpse and is either bugnuts insane, or is really, really in denial.

hosed up. That lady is mentally deranged. Reminds me of this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Tanzler

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

She's a loving bitch dying for the attention her huge forehead hasn't given her.

quote:

CARTER’S FACEBOOK POST: Hey everyone, as some of you already know my boyfriend Conrad Roy recently passed away on July 13. He suffered from mental illness and depression. Conrad's death was a wake-up call for me. I want to speak out to fight the public stigma and to give a clearer picture of what mental illness is all about. Even though I could not save my boyfriend's life, I want to put myself out there to try to save as many other lives as possible, and if I can through my experiences shed light on a way out of a difficult situation that I know so many people are going through, then that is what I need to do.
Court documents report that the tournament was ultimately held in Plainville and was mainly attended by Carter's friends and family. Conrad's friend Tom learned about the tournament, and in August, asked to participate. He also asked Carter why she was holding the tournament in Plainville, a town considerably remote from Conrad's home.
She answered, "[i]t's in my town, ha, ha," and that she "didn't know how to organize it in [Mattapoisett because she] didn't know anyone[there] and it was going to be a long drive to keep going back and forth."
When Tom proposed moving the Plainville tournament to Mattapoisett, she responded, "I can't change it, like, I already have made it up here and I have people advertising here and supporting it and I'm sure everyone will come from your town ... Like, this was my idea. I created it to be here."
Later, when Tom shared the Facebook event through his Facebook account, Carter contacted him and asked,
CARTER: "You're not taking credit for my idea though; right? LOL."
TOM: "No. I'll credit you if you really want."
CARTER: "Ha, ha. Well, I mean, I'm hosting it. Like, it's my idea. But you're like my co-captain now."
When Tom asked Carter how many times she had met Conrad in person, Carter answered,
CARTER: I know what we had and he does too. He was the most special and important person in my life and he told me the same. He told me everything about why he killed himself and all that he was feeling. We were end game. We both knew it. He didn't need to tell anyone that . . . I don't think anyone will ever understand what Conrad and I had so much. I don't expect you to either.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Celery Face posted:

Filmrise recently uploaded a bunch of Forensic Files episodes. I've been waiting to post a few of the more unnerving ones.

Thanks for the videos. I'm always a sucker for forensic documentary style shows like the HBO autopsy series that's been posted on here before.

Speaking of, those videos you posted would be much better with Marlene Sanders (the narrator of the HBO series). Something about her voice makes what you're watching that much more unnerving.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This one actually DID happen. Happened in the 80s, filming a tandem. It was his 6th jump of the day and he was last out, meaning none of the other jumpers had much of a chance to look at his back. Sad.

Found the video on Youtube. It cuts before impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkXMPU3a54

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

That Death Valley Germans thing was a really good read.

Yep, after following previous incarnations of this thread and this one the Death Valley Germans is still in my top 3 of stories that has been posted.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Here's the story of nutty putty and John Jones.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/home/50073473-76/john-cave-tunnel-josh.html.csp

The article seems incomplete unfortunately.

MrMidnight has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Jul 10, 2016

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Possible connection between a missing Wisconsin girl and a creepy YouTube video that ends with a girl gagged and tied up in some sort of basement bathroom.

Crosspost from GBS of all places: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793892

Thanks Duxwig.

EDIT: Police are saying the video is 100% fake.

MrMidnight has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Oct 12, 2016

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Following on the pain theme I found this interesting list of the 15 worst types of pain a human can go through. WARNING: Website is ad happy so mobile users may have issues.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/15-of-the-worst-pain-humans-can-feel/

I knew someone who would get cluster headaches. He would scream and wouldn't stop moving. Its hosed up because it so random. Thank God its rare.

MrMidnight has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Oct 19, 2016

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

I like 'The First 48'. Goes well with dinner.

Same. Unfortunately my wife despises the show.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

He's an autistic guy who ran off to the woods because he couldn't function or feel comfortable in society.

What an rear end in a top hat.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Remember that American student that was sentenced 15 years of hard labor in a North Korea prison? He just got sent home due to being in a coma for the last 13 months. The N. Koreans are blaming it on a sleeping pill.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/14/us-student-in-coma-otto-warmbier-north-korea-arrives-home

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Link won't open at work for me for some reason, but wasn't he in there for trying to steal a propaganda poster or something?

Yeah, they charged him of stealing a sign off a hotel wall or something.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

"pouring boiling water on an unsuspecting friend"

Yeah, that seems reasonable.

Can't wait for the "Getting Shot Challenge"

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

"The increased views was worth it" she says behind bars.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

So tell us the rest.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Munchausen-by-proxy in Texas:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...-say/948851001/

She even wanted to get him on the list for a lung transplant.

And here I thought my wife was bad about our son (she wants to take him to the ER for every little thing). Jesus that poor kid.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That whole situation is just so bizarre and sad. I hope the parents get their comeuppance.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I just wanted to echo this. If you read the article until the very very end, it's clear that it's very possible she's become minimally conscious - even if she was braindead for quite some time, her brain seems to have healed to a certain extent. We're discovering that it's a more elastic organ than we think, all the time. The question is, how far can the human brain heal, and how long would it take? Would it take the rest of her natural life to finally become a person again, if the possibility even exists? If so, that brings up the very uncomfortable question of, how long do we wait? And why does it heal for some, but not others?

And when does it become torture to the person inside?

It's not so simple morally anymore. We want it to be, though.

Yeah its complicated. If she is minimally conscious then how long is she aware before she goes back asleep/unconscious? Is she going to be "trapped" in darkness with no means to communicate besides subtle movements?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

Lmao at the comment at the bottom.

Found a neat site with some good shortish write ups.

A woman gets threatening phonecalls from a man. When she is kidnapped outside of a hospital her family starts getting them instead. That last call is bone chilling.
https://morbidology.com/calls-from-a-killer/
A super brutal murder of a woman and her kids. The killer basically said "I'm a huge piece of poo poo and that's not going to change so I think that it would be best if you guys would just fry me".
https://morbidology.com/indianas-most-brutal-killer-steven-judy/
A teen girl was kidnapped and held in a undergroundbunker. She saves herself by gaining his trust.
https://morbidology.com/the-kidnapping-of-elizabeth-shoaf/
An abusive wife murders her estranged husband in what is now in my top 5 of "Ways I do not want to die, god please no!".
https://morbidology.com/the-murderous-acid-lady/

While I appreciate these links, please be aware there are pictures of dead children in the story about Steven Judy. Granted its hard to make out and not gory but it still should be pointed out just in case.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Azathoth posted:

And sometimes you do everything wrong: meet the Death Valley Germans

The guy who found their remains, Tom Mahood, has a website at otherhand.org with an amazing and incredibly in-depth series of articles about his search, but it looks like the site is having problems. When it comes back up, definitely give it a read.

This is my favorite story. So well written.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

glad she is dead posted:

I've just been invited to an all singing, all dancing musical about Carl Tanzler.

uh... sounds... fun?

https://www.keywestmusical.com/

I would definitely go see it. One of my favorite HBO autopsy stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOk33CFjjKM

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sometimes I daydream of visiting Norway and committing some harmless crime so I can stay in their prison system for a few months as a vacation.

Otto Warmbier wasn't as smart as you!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Caganer posted:

We’re goons: we all browsed Rotten and stile in the late 90s, so let’s not get too sanctimonious - we’re all rubberneckers in this thread :)

Stileproject...now there's a place that I visited too many times in my youth

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Looking at pictures of this gently caress makes me hate him even more. Looks like the loving Grinch with that smile.

More poo poo from his wiki:

Holick has been involved in several medical controversies. While at Boston University, he was asked to leave the Division of Dermatology because of his promoting the medical benefits of sun exposure. He accepted research funding for this work from a non-profit tanning bed company, considered by many to be an important potential bias. Barbara Gilchrest, then head of the department at Boston University, called Holick's book "shlock science" and Holick "a poster boy for the tanning industry".[50]

Holick received nearly $163,000 from 2013 to 2017 from pharmaceutical companies, according to Medicare’s Open Payments database, which tracks payments from drug and device manufacturers. The companies paying him included Sanofi-Aventis, which markets vitamin D supplements; Shire, which makes drugs for hormonal disorders that are given with vitamin D; Amgen, which makes an osteoporosis treatment; and Roche Diagnostics and Quidel Corp., which both make vitamin D tests.[51]

Holick has also been criticized by pediatricians specializing in child abuse because of his testimony in criminal trials supporting Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome as a potential cause of non-traumatic fractures in infancy (rather than abuse), which has not been substantiated by the medical literature.[52]

In January 2018, Robert Marvin Ray, one of the parents whom Holick worked with over child abuse suspicions, was arrested and charged with child abuse.[50][53]

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Moon
Source Code
Ex Machina
A Scanner Darkly
Sunshine
District 9
Primer
Upstream Color
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Donnie Darko
Arrival

Prometheus is garbage. It's an idiot plot full of idiots written by idiots.

Forgot Dark City

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Evalutatjng HW also has to take into account that he didn’t smother Dubya and JEB! in the cradle.

Man some of you are pretty rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/apos-daddy-no-apos-chris-155917393.html

Disturbing details of the final moments of a pregnant mother and her two daughters.