Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You posted in the other thread about this dude who was obsessed with you, right? You should retell that story, it was p unnerving.

It's rare that they catch them before they escalate to going after people. I would be interested in this story too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a kitten posted:

Inspired by this thread, or it's previous incarnation I decided to watch the documentary series Paradise Lost about the murder of three little boys at Robin Hood Hills and the trial, imprisonment and eventual freeing of the West Memphis Three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost:_The_Child_Murders_at_Robin_Hood_Hills

As far as I can remember, the only evidence used to charge the West Memphis Three was circumstantial. The killer got away, but there was never really a chance any of them did it. Am I forgetting anything? I don't know that the first two documentaries cover everything that was ultimately revealed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

We talked about cordyceps and nobody mentioned Instruction for a Help? Some shameful goons :smith:

I've never seen this before, but it's so clever that I'm really sad that I can't read anything about its reception since archives went down.

Did everyone like it? I love how open-ended it is about which side was in the right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hardwood Floor posted:

Does anyone know the wiki article about human experimentation done without consent and funded by Proctor and Gamble? It was either that or Johnson and Johnson. Googling doesn't bring anything up for me for some reason.

What details can you remember? Most human experimentation in the US was done by the CIA or the army, or by independent scholars funded by the military.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Isn't most of it done by pharmaceutical company, and a completely routine thing?

I meant unethical, dangerous human experimentation without consent and/or knowledge. Which I guess was what I thought he was talking about as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was an experiment run by MIT and paid for by Quaker Oats where they fed irradiated cereal to kids with mental disabilities to see how people digest cereal. They didn't say anything to the kids or pay them, telling them that they were in a "special science club." I guess their compensation was going to Red Sox games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_E._Fernald_State_School#Nuclear_medicine_research_in_children

There are probably way more stories like that out there. I had thought that the Army paid for this study.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SylvainMustach posted:

One I haven't seen posted here, or in the previous thread, is the Order of the Solar Temple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple

As a Freemason, this one unnerved me quite a bit largely because they, like other pseudo-masonic organizations, claimed a direct lineage to the original Knights Templar (if your curious, I'm of the opinion that there may have been links with the surviving knights and the stone guilds, the latter of which would open their membership to the public and become what we know of as Freemasonry today. contrary to pop-historians, I don't believe they influenced the Guilds but assimilated into them. Our Knights Templar, of which I'm a member, are simply a christian subgroup in the Masonic Family that applies the teachings of freemasonry on a more denominational level).

This, coupled with the fact that they were influenced, structurally to an extent (not so much philosophically) by the ceremonies and, early on, formalities of Freemasonry, along with the fact that they acted out every Conspiracy Theorists wet-dream of what they think Freemasons do. From Ritual Mass Murder/Suicide to infiltration of influential and wealthy people, along with members of law enforcement, leading to conspiracies, death and mystery.

This is made all the creepier by their hidden rooms in otherwise unassuming houses and the ritualized formations of pentagrams by those who had chosen to take their life for this cult.

The photograph below is of one of their abandoned ceremonial spaces.

If you know about masonic stuff, could you tell if any of the details about Alan Robicheaux, a guy who has come up in this thread before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbKrY0HXOz0

He was a guy in his early 70s who disappeared without a trace, but then in 1991 his body was discovered in a secret vault he built under the porch. He shot himself while looking into a mirror and had arranged mirrors and porcelain figurines around himself before he did it. I've always wondered about this case because of the ritual details. Are any of them masonic (if you can say without getting into trouble), or was he just a dude headed toward dementia?

More details here:

http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/orleans/newspapers/00000531.txt

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And one of those subjects was the Unabomber, who was a bit of a weirdo at the time, but within normal levels of weird for "brilliant mathematician".

Not so much after, though.

He was actually the only one who didn't have any secrets or sexual fantasies he was ashamed of. Part of the experiment involved the students writing out everything that humiliated them or made them feel ashamed, and he just wrote about how he was proud to be at Harvard and loved his parents and loved America. His codename for the study was "Lawful" because he was such a square.

Not so much after, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Scientology fun facts: they are only classified as a religion because they harassed the IRS with endless frivolous lawsuits.

Also, Leo Ryan--the senator killed by the People's Temple for taking people with him--was going to go after Scientology after he got back from Guyana. It was the very next thing on his agenda.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also there was a cult awareness group founded because of Jonestown called the Cult Awareness Network that Scientology sued into oblivion because they listed it as a cult. Scientology bought out their trademarks during bankruptcy proceedings and continued to run it as a backdoor recruiting agency.

They are scary as gently caress, which is what you'd expect from an organization that actively recruits paranoid crazy people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They recruit paranoid crazy people. This cannot be overstated. Their whole mythology is that mental health professionals are part of an alien conspiracy to suppress humanity's true powers. Prescribed drugs rob you of your superpowers, as does talk therapy. They've cultivated a fanatically loyal army of lunatics.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a kitten posted:

That might actually be more terrible than boxbot.

Seriously though, jesus loving christ that guy and his experiments. :gonk:

When he was done with his despair monkeys he gave them to a zoo where they just sat there and screamed all day. The zoo put them on their own island away from all the animals frightened by their constant agony.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

An 8 foot white would be like a snack to a couple of Orca.

Here is an article on Orca, Assholes of the Seas.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stienstra/2014/04/26/orcas-attack-gray-whales-in-monterey-bay-11-pics/

There are many more descriptions and videos of Orca attacks, and they all have their own proclivities and preferences. There is even one specific clan that is said to make a delicacy of sperm whale tongue. If anything in the ocean is unnerving it's these fellas.

Orcas and dolphins like to play and carry out complex tasks that involve teamwork, some of it whimsical and some of it horrific, and they don't really seem to care either way. It's apparently common for them to kill lone sharks and leave the body. There are stories of dolphins and orcas protecting rafts and swimmers from sharks or carrying sailors back to their boats or the shore when they've gone overboard. Stories like this make me wonder if there are an equal number of incidents with sailors gone overboard and eaten as a snack, or rafts deliberately sunk in a spirit of fun and cooperation by one of the few species on this planet that approach sapience. Because of course in those cases, there would be nobody left to tell the story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

benito posted:

I've always been creeped out by drugs like Midazolam. It and a few other drugs induce anterograde amnesia. Let's say you're in a car accident. Your leg is horribly broken and the medic can't anesthetize you. He can give you one of these drugs, set the bone causing tremendous pain, and in ten minutes you'll have forgotten everything. That might be a good thing, but if you were a drunk driver who killed a kid in your wreck, would it help you reform to erase that moment from your life?

Different scenario: Cop beats the crap out of you to get a confession to a crime you didn't commit. He administers the medication so you forget who he is, or even that you confessed under duress. As you're rotting away in jail, you have no idea why you are there.

Use of these drugs is a big medical ethics question. "We need to inject scorpion venom into you because it's the only thing that will save you. But we'll give you a shot that will erase the memory forever." Ok... "I accidentally chopped your dick off during a mole removal, but you'll wake up in the shower holding a razor so it looks like you did it yourself."

It's sometimes used as a sedative too, so who knows how many malpractice suits have been averted simply because the memory vanishes. Still, if the anesthetist hosed up and I woke up in the middle of surgery, I'd sure want to forget that. The other way to put it is: who knows how many life-destroying traumas have been erased?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spleen merchant posted:

I might sound a bit thick here but is the purpose of Midazolam to induce amnesia or is this just a side effect of its anesthetic function? and if so, whats the purpose of inducing amnesia??

So if you wake up while they're cutting into your chest or your eye, you don't go insane from enduring minutes or hours of unspeakable pain, as some anesthetics have been known to wear off unexpectedly while the paralytics that keep your unconscious body from jerking around do not.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JD-Smith posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantosmia

Or Phantom Smells, Olfactory Hallucinations

While not necessarily scary on it's own.. It is unnerving as I've been having these myself for the last 3-4 months. Specifically the smell of ammonia. This will happen randomly either 1 to several times a day. It can be a faint whiff of ammonia or as sever as if I'm being chloroformed with the stuff on a rag. I've ruled out the obvious such as litter box, or my own body emitting the smell based on various things I've read and confirmed with others that it's not me.

So I went to the doc, who referred me to MRI and neurologist etc. Everything normal so far but they've seen this type of thing before in people who deal with migraines like myself. So it could be a temporary thing that goes away, or could be a sign of further neurological weirdness in the future. Which is the unnerving part to me.

This is totally boring I know.. but I wanted to at least bring something to the table.

I knew someone who had this. She smelled burning and was scared it might be a brain tumor. She also had really bad migraines.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sure we do. It's one of those weird fruits in the part of the supermarket with all those weird fruits nobody ever buys.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Caption: "It was all smiles from the medical team after the mammoth operation"

Except for the obviously miserable kid, who endured hours of having teeth chiseled from his skull with only local anesthetic

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tons of wealthy suburban people have distant, cold parents. It's only really a problem if you're compelled to kill and maim, really. If he were just a regular guy, he'd just hate them and call at Christmas from the giant house he bought with his wildly successful partner who he met in college while getting a lucrative degree in chemical engineering.

The odds just didn't favor the parents in this case. See also the kids who did the Columbine shooting, whose parents fit the same profile.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing that freaks me our is that he was convicted on the evidence heard on a recording he made of the killing. He was planning on reliving it the same way that serial killers do.

He clearly saw his excuse to get away with murder and took it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He would have been acquitted if he hadn't set up a tape recorder and turned it on prior to luring the first burglar into the basement. Maybe even if he hadn't taunted a mortally wounded teenage girl before dragging her onto a tarp and killing her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

It's unfortunate but hardly uncommon, though. Who can name a victim of any school shooting that happened in the past 15 years? Everyone remembers Adam Lanza, though. And Eric and Dylan. Mohammed Atta rings a bell. Pretty much everyone is hard pressed to name someone killed on September 11th. It's just how it is, and it is hosed up. Doesn't help that the media blasts the names of these people at us whenever something like it happens and these monsters, misunderstood or hosed up or not, are remembered and the victims are just a nameless bunch of people killed by them to most of us. There's no difference between fame and infamy anymore.

So uh. On that note, The Zodiac Killer. At least he never had a confirmed name to remember aside from that one. It's obviously a widely known case, but as far as serial killers go, it has to be up there among the strangest and most puzzling ones.

Most of them will drop away in time, though. You probably don't remember 90% of the names on wiki's list of mass shooters. I deliberately try to avoid the names of people like that because they do it to be famous, but I recognize 12 out of 1300, and only 2 from before 1990:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

Serial killers are underrepresented, though. I know 14:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_by_number_of_victims

Infamy really only speaks to media sensationalism. Nobody remembers these people for that long, really. And even a really famous one from 100 years ago isn't much now. I only know about HH Holmes because of this thread, and he did way more hosed up poo poo than that virgin loser college kid from last month.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Things like this are so scary to me because as we learn more and more about variations in climate, it seems like even a small change of a few years can really ruin human civilization. The end of the classical period and collapse of Rome tracks with a drop in temperature and decline in food production too.

Human civilization is incredibly fragile compared to the poo poo that happens regularly on Earth.

Remember that we're in a warm period between ice ages too, one that will probably end in a few thousand years. Everything from writing and agriculture on up has happened because we're in a warm period.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We have already proven to be an extinction event and therefore probably an evolutionary dead end. That might be why we've never seen any aliens: intelligence is an ecological disaster like a meteor strike or really bad ice age.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why wouldn't he just try to kill it? I know that a barber-surgeon amputation isn't probably a very attractive option, but if you think there is a loving evil devil on your head whispering to you the terrible secrets of the universe what do you really have to lose by sleeping on your back one night and smothering the fucker?

Actually, I don't think there's any way you could share your head with another face without it having to be connected to your lungs and having a big lump of brain for it to think its malign thoughts, or at least breathe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

benito posted:

As recently as 40,000 years ago you had Neanderthals, Denisovans, and Homo floresiensis (the "hobbit" people) co-existing on earth with us modern humans. Homo erectus was still around 140,000 years ago.

And then there's the mysterious Red Deer Cave people of China who were still around 14,000 years ago. Debate continues on how much interaction (and interbreeding) occurred between modern humans and these different humans, but they definitely would have looked a lot different. To go back to the original comment:

It really depends on how you define people.

To me, the eeriest thing about studying the DNA of early humans is that Denisovians and some modern Africans have genes from at least one unknown human species that split from the others 700,000 years ago and encountered them again 50,000 years ago. The only evidence remaining of an entire species of ancient humans is a some genes we just learned how to see. That's nuts--sublime.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Here is a mummy I'd like to know more about : St. Bee's Man. He was a knight who was killed in the Crusades in 1368 named Anthony de Lucy, and his body was buried in a lead coffin that perfectly preserved his body to the point that when it was discovered in 1981, his skin was pink, his irises were visible, and he had liquid blood in his chest.

Unfortunately, there aren't many pictures of him online, which is frustrating because when I hear about a perfectly preserved mummy I want to see him, dammit, and judge for myself. There's a nice transcription of a talk about him here that describes his discovery, autopsy, and the process of identifying him, as well as a brief discussion of some similar mummies.

I wonder if any of de Lucy's descendants could be found, and if so, how they would feel about looking at their literal flesh and blood from six centuries ago.

Did somebody gently caress up the storage of the body? I'd think that the minute you found something like that you'd thrown the lid back on until you could transport the body someplace with a controlled environment. It seems like so much could be lost in letting the body dry out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DryGoods posted:

Although it's not a Wiki link, I stumbled on a blog post in connection with one of my favorite stories I linked earlier and most everyone has heard of before, Spring-Heeled Jack.

The Black Flash of Cape Cod

Could Jack have leapt from England to America while still causing innocent passers-by to recoil as he bounds over fences? I'll hop on any other similar stories I find.

I think you're jumping to conclusions there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

Yeah I don't think that would fit into the Prince-Albert/Hitler hypothesis.

You could say it requires a leap to hop onto a story like that just because it jumps out at you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spinst posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Delano_Floyd

Dude kidnaps a little girl and raises her as his daughter. All the while sexually abusing her.

They still have no idea who she was before she was kidnapped.

They then get married when she's old enough.

THEN she has a kid, but not with Floyd.

Floyd hits her with a car, she dies. He puts the son in foster care and leaves the state.

Some time later, he returns and abducts the boy from his school. Boy is never seen again. Floyd's sitting on death row.

That picture made me cringe.

That story's so eerie, that this guy was able to just run around free all that time without anybody getting any clue about what he really was. The only reason anyone even knows about his two previous crimes is that he documented them and kept all the photos together in a bundle he left inside a truck he stole in 1994. He had been a fugitive for 20 years when he kidnapped Michael, having run away after being paroled from federal prison in 1973 for robbing a bank, which he robbed after escaping a prison where he was serving 20 years for the rape and kidnapping of a baby. He disappeared in 1975 immediately after being bailed out of the local jail, where he was taken after attempting to kidnap a woman. He was first arrested for shooting cops who showed up while he was robbing a department store when he was 17:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?48515-Sharon-Marshall-2

It seems likely he might have committed some kind of crime between 1973 and 1975.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bean_shadow posted:

Speaking of radiation, how about Human Radiation Experiments by the United States?

Albert Stevens was "misdiagnosed" with stomach cancer so that he could be "treated" with plutonium. He did live 20 years with plutonium in his system, though. Six employees at a Chicago plant were given water infested with plutonium so it could be shown how it's dealt with in the digestive tract. More than 800 pregnant women were given "vitamin drinks" laced with radioactive iron, to see if it would cross the placenta. And of course the retarded children given radioactive mush to eat.

Of course the whole article is depressing.

Hey now, those kids got pizza and free tickets to a ball game! More than fair compensation for the likely early and painful death from cancer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were definitely instances where surrendering Germans were killed or where prisoners were later killed, especially those found running death camps. There may have been more massacring of civilians than reported also. Plus tons of rape and some civilian slave labor. No trophies made from bodies though:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_war_crimes#World_War_II

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A schizophrenic violent criminal spent 30 years tooling across the country doing whatever he wanted and those cops let him go because he was the stepfather. I wonder if he ever killed other kids and just slipped away because he was using a false identity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn't he get caught because a woman he went after escaped? I'd imagine most serial killers have the minds of teenagers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It does seem like somebody would notice if people started disappearing regularly from his small town of 6,000, and also that one of the people charged as accomplices would take police to at least one of the bodies for a reduced sentence or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

I ran across a youtube of the song "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" which is a jaunty song and in the youtube's case, a loving pro-click if you want to see the worst slide show someone made to go with the music.

So on a lark, I looked up more on Manfred von Richthofen the infamous Red Baron:

Man, he was a demon in the air! How did he get to be such a

Oh, well, that certainly gives you a leg up. His pre-flight career was a stint in a supply unit, which is about as fun as it sounds. What it led up to (or so legends tell) was a very polite "gently caress this!" to up his chain of command:

:c00lbert: It is said that the very first pair of Aviator sunglasses manifested and landed on the bridge of the Baron's nose upon writing that line. [citation needed]

So, he joined the air service and became a good pilot. He was, of course, a complete professional.

Holy poo poo. At least that's more classy than tea-bagging their plane with his plane.

It is also said the practice of video game achievements was invented at this time. [citation needed]

While recovering from being wounded, he wrote his only book, Der Rote Kampfflieger (The Red Fighter Pilot). Towards the end, he sums up his mindset nicely:

Read that a couple times, let it sink in.

By this time, ol' Manfred was a proven legend:

But, in the end, it was proved he was as mortal as we:

Captain Brown was an all-around good guy - he took new pilots to fly over actual dogfights in progress so they knew what the hell to expect. It's notable that he never lost a pilot under him. By coincidence, he also shares the last name of Charlie Brown, Snoopy's owner. :tinfoil:

So passed the Red Baron. The RAF officially credited Brown with the killing shot, but it's more likely the shot came from the ground. If anything, it was a team effort putting the Baron in the path of that bullet.

If he thought a butcher killed for fun, what did a sportsman kill for? Either way, German's lucky he got killed before turning full serial killer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's because he talks about killing as art and something that gives him half an hour of satisfaction before he feels the need to do it again. He was safe doing supply stuff before he complained about needing to kill and somebody moved him into a plane. There wouldn't have been enough vagrants or prostitutes in Prussia to last him a month after the sort of killing he got used to doing every day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harlow was a loving beast, easily as bad as the guy at Harvard who did brainwashing research on his students. I think a zoo in New York got his despair monkeys when he was done with them: he thought maybe a normal environment would help them. The zoo had to move them to a separate island habitat because they didn't do anything except sit and scream all day.

Edit: the guy who did brainwashing research on his students was Henry Murray: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Murray

He got mad cash from the CIA to find ways of softening resistance and making subjects "pliable," which he pursued by having his undergraduate students keep diaries where they listed everything the believed in and everything of which they were ashamed. Then he collected them and hired an attorney to meet with them individually and humiliate them in a locked room using what they wrote. Murray recorded the sessions and made the students watch the films of themselves weekly. Murray was himself something of a film buff: he would secretly record himself doing BDSM stuff to graduate students he pressured into having affairs with him. The sex films were found after he died and prove him to be a pretty nasty sexual sadist.

Also, he's most famous for having made the first known psychological file on someone who would one day become very famous. One of his humiliation students was a bright 16-year-old math student named Theodore Kaczynski, who at the time was a naive and self-conscious patriot who loved his mom and dad and wanted to make them proud. After taking psychology, his interests changed slightly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If he joined here, he might start asking for advice about protecting his pumpkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

This page on mysterious disappearances rather unnerves me. The idea that sometimes, someone can just up and vanish, essentially walking out of history, never to be seen again and often leaving no closure behind them, is a deeply uncomfortable one, to say the least.

There is of course the wiki page on the opposite phenomenon, which really bothers me in an existential dread sort of way not entirely explained by those creepy dead-eyed facial reconstruction images, though the worst by far are the ones where they have the subject casually covering part of his or her face because the body was too badly damaged. Somehow, the implication of what must have happened is so much worse to me than reading about it outright:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unidentified_murder_victims_in_the_United_States