Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

What's the betting he's forgotten his account password? Isolation, torture in near death are likely to frazzle the memory...

It's probably the first thing they worked out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

crowoutofcontext posted:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2009/02/wales-suicides200902

"Cluster suicide experts"

For me multiple or communal suicides is incredibly unnerving. Suicide is obviously hideous in and of itself, but theirs the faintest solace in trying to understand it rationally. Its obviously part of being human, as we are the only animals who do it regularly and its biological purpose seems to be a sort of perverse altruistic urge to remove oneself from holding the "tribe" back, most people who off themselves feel helpless and useless. There is a perverse logic to it. From their we can at least work on a cure and ways to fight it.

But cluster suicides throw that all out the window. When people are inspired by other suicides or fantasize about suicide-ing together with their friends it terrifies me. Suicide as a replicating meme-that stuff drives me crazy.

Related, about clusters at a high school near me: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/12/the-silicon-valley-suicides/413140/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

Hey potential murderers, I am amenable to intimidation. No need to got to all the trouble of murdering me. :shobon:

Or just give me tickets to a concert that conflicts with the court date. Whatever. I wasn’t all that exited about taking time off to testify about $4 in steaks, and I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Just thought I’d put that out there.

Maybe they should make Medicalert bracelets for "amenable to witness tampering".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fyodor posted:

Ok if you REALLY want some nightmare fuel you'll google David Parker Ray Tape Transcript.

This was not oversold. Jesus.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Celluloid Sam posted:

Are you serious dude

I hope so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wyntyr posted:

Yeah, I'd never heard of her prior to the shooting, but in fairness I'm an antisocial goon.

I don't think of watching television as being very socially demanding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Droogie posted:

I consider myself a painter without a second thought

You paint pretty well with words too. Good composition, use of contrast, details to enhance realism and give a sense of place.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigLeafyTree posted:

What's the legality of something like this? If you're suffering through some very painful but educational thing, can they just keep you hanging on so they can learn?

If they don't have right-to-die laws, then they can keep you around just to keep you around. It may not have been involuntary though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I did contract work at a nuclear lab, the site training taught us which of the klaxons meant "gather in designated area", and which meant "run".

My favourite phrase from the training was "unfavorable geometry", I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

13Pandora13 posted:

Do you have any sources/samples of these? It's something I find super interesting but googling "nuclear klaxons" or "nuclear sirens" doesn't really give you a lot of specificity or different alarms, just the generic air raid/tornado siren.

We got paper handouts, but I've lost mine in the intervening decade. It was at PNNL if that helps find it.

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought it was 'dangerous geometry', which is an even cooler turn of phrase.

I think the big book of nuclear accidents uses "unfavorable", and the scientists at the lab did, but I wouldn't be shocked to discover that there were different phrasings around.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Don't the guys who push the literal red button in the launch silos/SSBNs know?

I thought the drill worked such that you put in the drill-meaning code and then pushed the button. Because of the code you use, pushing the button does nothing. Or maybe plays a sad trombone sound, I suppose.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No no, the intent is to drill, even when you get a live code.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's not odds or probability. Nobody is rolling a die to see who was the murderer. It's the historical prevalence, and doesn't have predictive power for any specific case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Filox posted:

One thing I can't help wondering is what the gently caress were mom and dad thinking? In several of these cases, these were tiny babies, only a few days old, a new factor in the home and the parents just leave a large dog with access to the baby without having had time to ascertain that this dog can be trusted with the baby?

When you have a new baby your brain isn't working correctly, because you have functionally stopped sleeping. Combine that with the fact that they're used to having the dog around and don't think much about where it is, and I can understand it. I dunno what the cop was thinking, though.