Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's pretty unnerving that over the 250ish pages I read of this thread there were constant derails. Not unexpected though given it's SA. :v:

On topic, my favorite cryptids are Mothman and the Flatwoods Monster, maybe because they're up near my neck of the woods since I've lived in the mid-atlantic the vast majority of my life. also they aren't really scary once you look at the renditions of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I haven't seen those photos either. However I have seen photos of what happens to a man's skull if he stands in front of a jet fighter that's catapulted from an aircraft carrier.

I recommend not seeing those photos.

I'd imagine the skull ceases to be a skull and instead becomes bone fragments.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Pick posted:

I have seen that one, and it is actually pretty interesting, it basically turns it inside out. It is still mostly in one piece. You can see the upper palate with all the teeth intact, and then somehow that ends up on the outside of the head, really weird stuff.

Reminds me of that poor track assistant who got hit at the 1977 South African Grand Prix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_South_African_Grand_Prix posted:

On lap 22, Zorzi pulled off to the left side of the main straight, just after the brow of a hill and a bridge over the track. He was having problems with his fuel metering unit, and fuel was pumping directly onto the engine, which then caught fire. Zorzi did not immediately get out of his car as he could not disconnect the oxygen pipe from his helmet.[nb 1]

The situation caused two marshals from the pit wall on the opposite side of the track to intervene. The first marshal to cross the track was a 25-year-old panel beater named William (Bill). The second was 19-year-old Frederik "Frikkie" Jansen van Vuuren, who was carrying a 40-pound (18 kg) fire extinguisher.[48] George Witt, the chief pit marshal for the race, said that the policy of the circuit was that in cases of fire, two marshals must attend and a further two act as back-up in case the first pair's extinguishers were not effective enough. Witt also recalled that both marshals crossed the track without prior permission.[49] The former narrowly made it across the track, but the latter did not. As the two men started to run across the track, the cars driven by Hans-Joachim Stuck and Pryce came over the brow of a rise in the track.[50]
"As we got to the top I suddenly sensed this marshal running across the track from my right, carrying an extinguisher. I took a big chance and I don't know how I got away with it. There was no time, I just reacted on pure instinct."

Pryce was directly behind Stuck's car along the main straight. Stuck saw Jansen van Vuuren and moved to the right to avoid both marshals, missing Bill by what Tremayne calls "millimetres". From his position Pryce could not see Jansen van Vuuren and was unable to react as quickly as Stuck had done. He struck the teenage marshal at approximately 270 km/h (170 mph).[52] Jansen van Vuuren was thrown into the air and landed in front of Zorzi and Bill. He died on impact, and his body was badly mutilated by Pryce's car.[53] The fire extinguisher he had been carrying smashed into Pryce's head, before striking the Shadow's roll hoop. The force of the impact was such that the extinguisher was thrown up and over the adjacent grandstand. It landed in the car park to the rear of the stand, where it hit a parked car and jammed its door shut.[51]

The impact with the fire extinguisher wrenched Pryce's helmet upward sharply. Death was almost certainly instantaneous. Pryce's Shadow DN8, now with its driver dead at the wheel, continued at speed down the main straight towards the first corner, called Crowthorne. The car left the track to the right, scraping the metal barriers, hitting an entrance for emergency vehicles, and veering back onto the track. It then hit Jacques Laffite's Ligier, sending both Pryce and Laffite head-on into the barriers. Jansen van Vuuren's injuries were so extensive that, initially, his body was identified only after the race director had summoned all of the race marshals and he was not among them.[54]

Sad poo poo.

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jun 28, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I used to have nightmares about our road safety ads when I was 7 or 8 because they involved like a class of infants being mangled by a flipping car or this one where a bf and gf are walking home from different schools texting each other and it's very cute then your man gets mowed down by a car and you see blood spray out of his mouth. or this other one where a guy doesn't where his seat belt and mortal combat fatalities everyone else in the car with his head. But sure look all my friends say I drive like an old woman so it worked out

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:stare: Ireland does not fook around with its driving psa's. Those are almost as bad as The Infamous Canadian PSA About Kitchen Safety. (I'll link it if anyone wants, but as someone who works around hot fryer oil every day, it's hard for me to even see the thumbnail without cringing)

God, I saw these both a few years back and just the mental replays make me gag a little. That kitchen one is the worst.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

There was a recent thread, i think in GBS, by an insurance adjustor for rides and rentals stuff like this. They said that they would never, ever rent a bouncy castle as their bouncy castle claims are 7x all their other claims, combined,

What I wanna know is if it actually like, exploded like, i dunno, a grain silo or a hydrogen blimp or whatever, or if it just popped really loud and at a bad time for that kid's situation. :psyduck:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

When people say cave diving is hideously dangerous they aren't kidding around, yes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

And when there was only one set of footprints, that's when I was carrying you.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone remember the name of that dude who ate all the component parts of a Cessna, while the topic of wierd eating is still fresh (raw?)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Always on brand.

Still the best loving thing about that dude.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

No, poo poo Sherlock.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I'd legit kill myself if I ended up in that situation, presuming the 7 second limit didn't interfere with something like walking off a building. And here I was terrified of maybe getting bad memory like my grandparents.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

big dyke energy posted:

The amount of people who said "I'll kill myself if I get dementia/can't care for myself anymore" and still end up in a nursing home for years dependant on others is astoundingly high.

Yeah I know, just one of my major hangups about myself is the idea of being a burden, or useless, and I can't think of many more ways to be burdensome long-term than having alzheimers or dementia or the like, so the idea of having something like that makes me horrified. :smith:

StrixNebulosa posted:

The single scariest thing I've ever seen a human body do is what happened to my uncle: he was in his early seventies - old, but not like "i'm going to die" old, right? Wrong.

Watching my stepdad's father go from being one of the most clever and handy folks I'd had the pleasure of knowing to someone forgetting the name of his own son and barely able to move due to cancer that'd spread to his brain and nervous system was one of the worst things I've ever experienced, and that sounds so so much worse. I'm sorry, mate. :(

Celery Face posted:

I've heard of one woman in a care home who was a holocaust survivor and every time they would put her in a mechanical lift to get her in the bathtub, she'd say "No, you can't do this to me! I'm a mother, I have small children!"

:smithicide:

I guess the gist of this post is the concept of losing the main thing I feel makes me who and what I am to what's essentially an unstoppable force of nature is really god drat horrific.

EDIT: Also gently caress I'm sorry, Gatekeeper.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Ariong posted:

"People who live in the neighboring apartment complex [...] could hear the father screaming in the school lot when they discovered his son."

Fuuuuuck. gently caress.

:smithicide:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:killing:

Wait I thought I was in cspam for a moment. though I do agree it's kind of horrifying how willingly we as a species enable atrocities on a grand scale

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Thought this was the post your favorite unnerving article or story thread, not post your most depressing examples of how poo poo america is thread

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kanine posted:

a huge portion of this thread is about american serial killers and failings of the american judicial system, along with abusive american parents, pretty much all of that falls under the latter thing

Yeah but if I wanted an rss feed of cops being fucks and white people murdering blacks with no repercussions I'd be over in cspam like I usually am. :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jesus, the way they go from "is that paper?" "No, paper doesn't fall like that." to "It's probably just a chair or something." is harrowing. Then the second plane and "I don't want to be on the 32nd floor of this building anymore."

The reaction when the second plane hits and they realize it was deliberate and not an accident and start screaming brings back bad memories. I was in my English class in 7th grade and they'd wheeled in a tv and hooked it up for us to see because it was a big deal. A few moments after they turned it on to cnn we saw the second plane hit and everyone sort of just went silent because it was clear now it was purposeful. I'm guessing it's the same sort of thing folks felt when they heard JFK had been shot or such, I dunno if the memory and feeling is ever gonna be one I forget.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kanine posted:

isnt there an SA thread from 9/11.

i remember looking at that and seeing some really prescient posts, there was one along the lines of "well american goons say goodbye to your freedoms" and other people already predicting it was going to be the start of a war

WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Well, if it wasn't for the Google searches this might have been a cold case on unsolved mysteries years from now or something.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The best part is some guy tried the same thing a while ago in the desert and they found out pretty quickly because the balloon landed in a cactus.

Yeah they mentioned the only two other cases they found were that one and an episode of csi

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It's a doggy dog world out there, and I could care less what some folk think about linguistics.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Hauki posted:

*couldn’t

:thejoke:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

bean_shadow posted:

The Murder of Brian Wells

Wells was the pizza delivery man who had a bomb locked around his neck, which detonated after he robbed a bank. Netflix has an interesting documentary about the whole convoluted story called Evil Genius. It's a wild ride.

I remember that! It was big news since it was all of an hour or two away from where I live and was real :tinfoil: at the time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

Greek Life should be dismantled pretty much across the board and applying to Penn State ought to put you on a watch list.

:hmmyes:

Penn State having a rep as a high end school's loving stupid, and I say this as someone who attended one of their satellite campuses.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Jesus christ, the Casefile episode on the Lin Family.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Beverly Hills Supper Club was a massive country club and entertainment facility just south of Cincinnati in Kentucky. It hosted a lot of acts, from comedians to musicians.

Large fires are always horrifying. :smithicide:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I just listened to the Casefile episodes about the Moors Murders. Is it weird that I find the way Smith's life fell apart and was just basically trashed and ruined after he immediately went to the police after realizing that all the insane poo poo that the dickhead rambled about was true a terrible injustice? It just seems like a terrible thing to happen to someone who'd tried to do the right thing. :smith:

EDIT: It's like the lives of every single person who were even adjacent to that fell apart, no matter how the connection. God drat.

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Aug 4, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ACAB especially American cops and it's pretty disturbing that a ton of folk think people dying in jail is fine because 'they were criminals anyway'

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It genuinely baffles me how often people say "well he must have done something to deserve it" whenever yet another video of a cop shooting a black man in the back repeatedly comes out. Even if literally the entire encounter is recorded from multiple angles and it clearly shows the police officer using deadly force with absolutely no justification whatsoever (you know, literal loving murder) you'll still have people saying "well he must have done something to deserve that."

The thing they aren't saying is that the thing he did was dare to be black.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

And now for a change in subject... what if there was a form of dementia that manifested early and attacked personality, impulse control, and language first, turning the person you love into a completely different person who can't explain why they're doing what they're doing? It exists, it's called fronto-temporal dementia, my dad had it and was diagnosed when he was 60, and I'll probably get it too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/health/a-rare-form-of-dementia-tests-a-vow-of-for-better-for-worse.html

(ignore the stuff about the potential treatment :smith:)

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/a-lesser-known-dementia-that-steals-personality/282661/

I said it the last time this topic came up but mental degradation is one of those things that I fear on a super primal level. My stepdad has brain cancer and he spent 45 minutes on the phone with comcast today because he thought the set-top TV box had broken. When I came down it turned out he was using the wrong remote. :smithicide:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I know it’s horrible but I get the idea of Jay Sherman pressing his face up against a window and causing a crowd of people to scream in terror

It stinks!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

Speaking of obsessive fandom and "firsts", the story of baseball player Eddie Waitkus, stalked and shot by a female fan in 1949, is worth a look.

That one Wesley Snipes movie was based on a real event? :eyepop:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I've made my way through most of the currently out Casefiles episodes, are there any other podcasts about true crime/strange poo poo like that with a similar sort of sterile tone? One of the things I've realized I quite like is how dry the host is, so to speak. Very clinical and the like.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, it's hard for me to describe exactly what I mean. The way he stays level throughout it? No raising his voice that much, no jokes other than things the investigators or suspects or the like themselves said, no yelling or voice acting (other than a few earlier episodes iirc), etc. All the tenseness and poo poo tends to come from the background music or just the subject matter itself, not the way the host is relaying it. Though I admit I love his accent

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Generation Why is pretty pleasantly bland. They don’t have the same production values as Casefile, but they have very mild voices and keep things straightforward for the most part.

I agree about the Casefile ads, but it’s kinda fun imagining a very straight faced and serious dude sitting in a dark room trying to sell hair dye.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Phoebe Judge on Criminal is very precise in her manner of speaking. Sometimes she gets a little more emotional during the interview parts, but the case reviews are always very clinical.

Thanks, I'll give them a go! I love true crime stuff for some god forsaken reason but usually hate how dramatic stuff tries to make it. Re-enactments in TV shows always kill my interest, for example.

Also yeah, rally racing is one of the coolest types of car motorsports there is, even if the fans are completely batshit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

It doesn’t exist in other kinds of car racing because if you run out onto the track at an F1 race and get hit by a low, pointy car going 300km/h they’ll have to identify your body by taking a roll call and figuring out who’s missing, like at the 1977 South African Grand Prix.

Your fire extinguisher will also crush a driver's head.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Reminds me of the one lady who escaped that serial killer/rapist's hosed up bunker van or w/e and had to run around a ton before finding someone who'd actually help her since she was mostly naked whatnot. Hopefully she's okay and got help and didn't just vanish into the mists.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Pick posted:

People fall into habits really easily when in shock.

Or when half their brain is obliterated, like that one father who's son killed him and his wife. But yeah, hopefully that dude's gonna be alright, parents outliving their children is a sad thing. :smith:

also hurray, digital era lynch mobbing. this cyberpunk future sucks rear end, where's my goddamn deckers and dragons running for president

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Aug 31, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Because the justice system in America is hosed up and DNA's been falsely used to get convictions on innocent people before, both due to errors in the science with genuine mistakes, or because of corrupt justice system officials faking it to get convictions. Whereas there's generally not that sort of push and reward for the system if you fake a victim's identification with it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Yeah, they even said the evidence is consistent with this. The reason they are charging her with first degree murder instead of second is because they believe he was alive when she dumped him in the woods. 😓

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The Oddjob principle actually does apply to real life, if a dude is short enough it's really not that easy to hit him if you're used to swinging at people of normal height.

Slappers only.