Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Of course there's no such thing as a 50 foot ant. :rolleyes: Some people will believe anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could manage to swallow bleach before realizing what it was(not). I guess if you are real thirsty and just went to slam some water it could happen. Jesus that would suck :pwn:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Has there ever been a case of a diver being attacked by a shark? It seems like a terrible thing to not be able to surface quickly in case of an emergency like that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress, man...

That's some poo poo. The worst part is her staying conscious while being crucified, coaxing them on. Scary.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is a machine not operating properly? Supernatural proof right there folks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This is common knowledge in the U.S., but for everyone else, Emmett Till was high profile case of a controversial open casket funeral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

He was savagely murdered in 1955, in a racially charged beating for "reportedly flirting with a white woman". His mother insisted on an open casket, so the public could see what had been done to her boy.

There are pictures of his body that circulated in the news, and garnered national attention. I will not post them, because they are :nws: as gently caress. They basically beat his head in until it looked like an under cooked pancake. gently caress racism.

RCarr has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Oct 14, 2014

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

For real. You'd have to be insane to do that. I always pictured cavers walking through open passageways and poo poo, not squeezing into tiny crevices slightly larger than their bodies, with running water coming at them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm already worried about the ancient aliens, don't tell me there are space aliens now too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

They also both ate LIVE CATS AND DOGS. :stonk:

How the hell does someone eat a live cat/puppy? Just start taking bites out of it while it cries and claws at you? What the gently caress.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Lmao if you think SA didn't even have its very own krokodil thread where wasters used the drug and advocated it to others

I'm pretty sure this is bullshit.

Wasn't krokodil a hoax? I remember hearing the whole thing was made up.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

This man suffering from depression really should have had the common courtesy to think of others before murdering hundreds of people

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's better this way. The corruption definitely adds to the whole evil empire trying to brainwash the world deal.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Loomer posted:

Must you people poo poo up the thread by having this same drat argument any time anyone posts a thing about nuclear bombs?

There's only a few times in life where one gets to apply their history degree. Gotta make the most of 'em.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress that choked me up. What a hopeless feeling.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This Disney theme park talk has got me shaking in my boots! A theme park built near something? Terrifying!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

so why not

Reason #1 would probably be them concentrating a crazy amount of effort into ruining your life if you ever change your mind about supporting them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Seems like you were supposed to get morning wood but your brain isnt too smart and you got an arm boner instead.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think you're doing a great job exactly the way you're writing it now. Keep up the good work and thank you!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So because Everest is 8,848 **METERS** high, that means 37,000 feet suddenly becomes four times that height?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

It does if you missed that the m was not an f. Calm down dude.

Should I type slower? How do I calm down on the internet :whitewater:

Also I think you're trying to say that whoever wrote the story missed the 'm'. As you can see by my bolded writing I fact checked as I do before every post I make on the online.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

This is illustrative of the whole problem with the case. There's two versions of her intake papers: one printed out and filled out by hand, and the other on the computer, where the answers fromt he printout should have been entered identically. They don't match up. One says she was depressed and actively suicidal, the other doesn't. One says she had epilepsy and was taking medication for it, the other doesn't. Which one is right? At this point, no one knows.

That's on the police department. They hosed up and they are rightfully being viewed as being suspicious because of it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

When did I say it wasn't their fault?

I didn't say you did. Not everything is a personal attack on your opinion. I was just making a point.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

I can't post a link right yet because I'm on my phone, but does anyone remember all those bodies they found a while back in the sand dunes / on the beach up around Long Island? I remember at the time they released very little details except that the bodies were all in various states of decomp, and they implied it could be the long-time dumping spot of possibly more than one serial killer.

Has there been anything else about that? Anyone know?

http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/4-years-17-victims-later-police-cant-catch-the-gilgo-beach-killer/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_serial_killer

This one took place about 5 minutes from my house:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/nyregion/more-human-remains-are-found-on-long-island.html?_r=0

RCarr has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jul 29, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bernstein is a normal name. People hear it all the time. Why is it weird to assume some fictional name of a book you read 20+ years ago would use the correct spelling instead of some weird spelling that no one uses?

Like Donkey Kong 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. People usually remember it as Donkey Kong 2: Diddy Kong's Quest because that makes sense. The correct name is a pun that unless you remember exactly wouldn't make much sense.

RCarr has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Aug 14, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Well I meant it was the name of fictional bears in a children's story. I don't think there's anything weird about assuming the name was spelled in the usual fashion. Especially since most people haven't seen the correct name in 20 years or whatever.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not really going to beat myself up over the Berenstain Bears thing. I was like 6 years old when I read those books and I'm Jewish so I know a bunch of Bernsteins in real life. Its not some great mystery that I thought it was spelled differently.

This is basically what I was saying, sans the being jewish part. (Not that there's anything WRONG with that :))

A bunch of people incorrectly remembering that a world leader died in prison when it is common knowledge he didn't is a pretty different phenomenon than people assuming the name of some book you barely remember reading as a child would be spelled the usual way.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stick Insect posted:

Despite that, something like three quarters of the people there managed to pick someone from the line-up :v:

So it was a trick? They probably picked the person that looked most like them. What did they expect? How are you going to trick someone and then be surprised that the outcome wasn't perfect?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I don't know if I'd call it a 'trick' if they're just recreating police methods and showing that more often than not, people are compelled to make something up due to the power of suggestion and the presence of an authority figure.

I guess I'm asking whether they told the people "Choose the perpetrator from this line-up if he's present", rather than implying the perpetrator was present and just saying "which of these guys is the perp?"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

wyntyr posted:

Don't click that link unless you want to see a cameraman and reporter die.

:nws::nms:Seriously. I immediately regret watching that video. Don't click. :nws::nms:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I remember being absolutely terrified as a young child trying that out for the first time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Samovar posted:

What about fizzy drink cans? Surely they must be banned, too.

Actually yes

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jesus Christ...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

To tie it into the thread a little, I'm pretty unnerved by op eds that try to convince people that pulling a gun during an active shooting is a good idea.
I'm also reminded of the guy who's response to that point was "well, I'm not a terrorist so I'd be fine", ignoring the fact that no one else in the situation would know that.

Here's an easy test for this sort of thing:

What color is the man with the gun?
Brown = Terrorist
Black = Criminal
White = Hero

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Come on, it's at least 12.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

packetmantis posted:

That article, holy gently caress.

:smithicide:

I had to stop reading after the description of the phone call the father made to his wife after he had found his child's body in the car after a long day at work.

"Undecipherable screaming"...

Also the father who tried to wrestle a gun away from the cop who showed up to the scene so he could kill himself.

I can't even imagine.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You can make fun of 9/11 and the Holocaust but don't even think about saying a bad word

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Enhance.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It is.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It seems like the normal law / alternate law thing is a pretty flawed system. Obviously, I know nothing about aviation, but shouldn't there be a giant light in the cockpit that lets the pilots know which one they are in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Would it be safe to say they are always watching you, and you'll never see them?