Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

KozmoNaut posted:

This happens to me about once every month or so, as a symptom that I'm about to have a migraine attack. It's a pretty reliable sign that I have to find a dark room and lay down for a couple of hours.

It's sometimes referred to as a migraine aura or optical migraine, and it's pretty weird. The first time it happened, I was terrified that something had happened to one of my eyes until I noticed both eyes were affected in the exact same way.

Then I realized it was my brain :ohdear: (Which it actually was, but not in a harmful way)

So weird, this happened to me today. I've only ever had two other migraines, and I woke up with both. This morning I was trying to figure out why there was a persistent bright light blocking my peripheral vision. Then a few hours later I felt the tell-tale left-side pain. Migraines are weird. After my first one, I was certain I was going to die of a brain hemorrhage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I was living in Valdosta while this was happening, and most people still think there is more to this story than what the authorities claim. All of the CCTV footage was intact...except for the one camera that was covering where Johnson was, and it was missing footage and seemed to jump around. There was a known relationship between Johnson and another student, who had animosity towards each other, and the student didn't have an alibi for that time period. Even better: that student was related to the Lowndes County sheriff. When they pulled Johnson out of the mat, his face looked beaten to the point where he was almost unrecognizable; far more damage than you would expect, even from a corpse that had been upside down for that period of time. The coroner wasn't called until almost 12 hours after the body was discovered (Georgia state law says the coroner must be called immediately, and the coroner later gave a statement saying that his investigation was impeded and that he was repeatedly told to hurry up by the police. The autopsy showed he had blunt force trauma to his head, but the official cause of death was labeled as asphyxiation. Oh, and someone forgot to put his organs back in the body after the autopsy was done and instead, upon the second autopsy, his body was found to be stuffed with newspaper :v:

Common theory is that the sheriff's relative killed Johnson after a dispute over a girl (the story is that Johnson banged the guy's girlfriend and that this was revenge), the sheriff's office covered it up, and to this day Johnson's family and supporters protest in the downtown Valdosta square. I don't think they're grasping at straws here, I legitimately think there's more to it than what we were told. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has taken over the case and has barred the Lowndes County authorities from "assisting". Last October, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Middle Georgia also opened an investigation into the case.

Thanks for this update. I've been wondering what was happening in the case. I hope they find out what *really* happened, because I agree, poo poo was sketch as hell.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

That was harrowing. :smith:

I usually don't check out cave-diving videos or photo spreads because duh claustrophobia, but I think certain tight spaces would freak anyone out, even if they're not normally claustrophobic. I mean, there are people who get the heebie-jeebies around spiders without actually being arachnophobic, but then you've got people who absolutely love them. I wonder if there are people who actually like the tight spaces, or at least, the tightness doesn't bother them?

Or maybe that's just my mind really wanting these people to at least enjoy the crazy terrifying poo poo that they're doing.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Driving through Kansas or Wyoming or something is enough to give you prairie madness, I can only imagine what it's like to be some kind of homesteader.

I remember driving through Nevada a couple of years ago, and it was so flat that even with the mountains way off in the distance I felt a scream sit right in my chest the whole trip. I've never been so claustrophobic as I was on that drive.

That Krystle Cole story, holy poo poo. It was long, but...OMG.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Freudian posted:

A friend of mine is a schoolteacher in Singapore, and he was on a school trip to South Africa - when they spent a night camping under the stars, some of the kids had anxiety problems because they'd spent their entire lives in a crowded city and couldn't handle how big the sky was.

Oddly, the night sky doesn't bother me. I mean, yeah, it's overwhelming and I get dizzy, but it's so beautiful I guess that's the part I focus on. Then again, when I camp it's usually in the mountains, which is super different from being on the prairie. I don't think I could handle ACTUAL prairie; just that picture in the wiki article made me a little uncomfortable. It's really impressive, but I'm just not used to it.

ranbo das posted:

If you want to know horrifying, last year's Everest thread got into caving and cave diving after the mountain closed, and gently caress that poo poo. Basically start here and read on, there's stories of a cave called the meatgrinder and a guy who filmed his own death cave diving.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626517&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post433820355

Oh yeah, that's a hell to the no. I used to work with cave fish, and while I personally never had to go diving (these were in harmless cenotes in Mexico which would have actually been quite beautiful and interesting), some of those cave divers got into some situations that I couldn't even really look at the photos too long.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Imagined posted:

Yet another reason to take the stairs instead. Chinese mother manages to save son's life before being eaten alive by escalator. Not watching the video, nope nope nope.

I have a pretty strong stomach but even I knew I couldn't make it all the way through. I had to pause it right after the point where the metal panel fell through and she pushed her son away. The video has kindly been edited with frequent pauses to let you know what's coming next, but I'm still surprised it was made available on CNN, front-and-center on the page.

From what I did see, it's not gory but it is terrifying.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

RNG posted:

Seconded. Some of the stuff in the book is dated, but the issues still persist, and a lot of the cases are still unsolved.

drat, and here I am house sitting without my Kindle. If I can't wait for the weekend I may just have to order it off Prime. I've been looking for some good books, so thanks for the rec.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's a quality of writing out of Florida's Bay-area papers. Longform.org reprinted this Sunday, about the investigation into the murders of three Ohio women whose bodies were found in the water in 1989.

Pro click right there. I spent half the day reading this between meetings. Terribly sad but fascinating. I would have felt bereft if there hadn't been resolution.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Not gonna lie, we just ordered a massive pizza but I'm still jealous of that burrito. We're pairing our greasy pizza with a brut, though. 'Cause it's our anniversary. Classy.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Olewithmilk posted:

This is absolutely fantastic (and sad/depressing) for anyone who likes true crime stuff. The writing style reminds me of the book The Wire is based on. In 2014 DNA evidence proved that the guy who committed the murders also murdered another woman whose death was previously unexplained since 1990.

That's good news--I ordered the book last week (thanks thread!) and haven't cracked it open yet. That longform story was fascinating and I look forward to reading more similar writing.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

prick with tenure posted:

This article was posted on the nytimes this morning, definitely creeped me out. Rutgers philosophy professor falls in love with a mentally disabled man she's treating through "facilitated communication," ie, ostensibly helping him type out complex thoughts on a keyboard that he's unable to vocalize or otherwise communicate. I'd never heard of this before, but apparently it has some support among parents of autistic children, etc. Pretty disturbing that the woman seems to have subconsciously projected all her erotic ideals onto one of her patients and ended up raping him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitated_communication

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/m...v=top-news&_r=0

:catstare: I mean holy poo poo that whole thing was disturbing as hell, but then she pleads "what about my daughter?" Uh, what about your daughter when you were sexually assaulting a patient who had the cognitive ability of a 3 year old?!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
A cruise ship elevator repairman forgot to lock the elevator before working on it, so someone decided to use it, and, well, this happened (graphic):

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/12/31/carnival-crewmember-elevator-accident-death-florida-pkg.wftx

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

mostlygray posted:

I have 2 kids and even though they are old enough to manage themselves, I'm always terrified that I forgot them. I never have, but it would be very easy to do so. I feel so much for the people that didn't mean to forget but did. There is no punishment on earth that could be worse than what they are already feeling. Death would be a blessing. There's no reason to send them to jail if there was no intent.

If it's someone else's kid you were in charge of, that's a different story.

I don't have any kids and never spend time with any, but even I can imagine how easy it is to get distracted, frazzled, and out of your routine. Everyone is so quick to judge, but I feel like this could happen to just about anyone, especially if they're sleep-deprived and off their routine for the day. And I agree, in such cases death would be a merciful release. If this were me, I wouldn't be able to manage my own guilt enough to even notice that I was headed off to jail. I don't think any prison could be worse than the one I'd created for myself in my own mind.

Even though I don't really like kids and don't have a lot of sympathy for parents in general, it really rankles me when other parents judge parents or caretakers who have done this, because in all honesty it could just as easily have been them on a bad day.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

When that search occurs shortly before your child dies in that exact manner, its absolutely a smoking gun. Sure, it "can" be argued as incidental by a lawyer, and I'm sure it would be. I'd still vote to convict.

It's more circumstantial, and alone it probably wouldn't suffice to convict. But considering his other activity, like posting on child-free reddit boards about how he wished he hadn't had a kid, and sending dick pics throughout the day to six different women, including one who was 16 (I think?) at the time, and the fact that he had specifically taken his kid out to breakfast that morning so it's not like he was unaware that he'd had him that day...it's all circumstantial and likely none of it would stand on its own, but taken together...it doesn't look good for the guy.

A really great lawyer could probably get a reasonable doubt from the jury. An average one, considering the atmosphere surrounding this kid's death...not so much. Whatever the police are keeping close to the vest, if anything, would be interesting to know.

Source: I followed his arrest closely because it's so rare for someone to get charged with murder under these circumstances, and also IAAL (though not criminal).

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Depends on when he did the search. If he did it 9 months before the child died then maybe you can have some reasonable doubt that it was just a coincidence. If he did it the day before or the week before then I really find it difficult to believe the two things aren't connected.

Pretty sure it was within a week prior. A couple of the videos (like the one where the vet sat in the hot car to demonstrate what your dog would go through, that came out a couple of years ago), he watched a couple times.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

RNG posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but a Phillipino politician managed to capture a picture of his assassin while photographing his family. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343945/Reynaldo-Dagsa-snaps-Michael-Gonzales-family-photo-shot-dead-seconds-later.html

This isn't getting quite enough attention. This photo is deeply unsettling to me. This guy, presumably, has no idea he's recording his own murder.

Did they catch the assassin?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Cage posted:

Cmon dawg you didn't give the article enough attention.

Wow I was so horrified by the photo I didn't even notice the link. Thanks.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

God drat. That girl who walked in and left again probably escaped a horrific death and didn't even realize it :stare:

Probably has loving terrible survivor guilt, too. I hope she's gotten the help she needs.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Dylanthulhu posted:

I like to think after a little bit you just kind of go "gently caress it." and just ride it out.

The running joke is, if your reserve malfunctions, aim for your rigger's (reserve packer) car.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

8 Ball posted:

There wasn't (isn't?) a standardised parachute design?! I'm a leftie but I'll happily pull a cord with my right hand if it means I don't smash into the ground at speed

For sport parachutes, they're typically on the right. You can modify the pilot chute (what you actually pull) to be pulled from the left if, say, you're a right-hand amputee, but honestly, it doesn't take a lot of dexterity to pull the PC out and most lefties just go with the standard version.

In fact, in most or all standard sport parachute rigs, the pull handle for the reserve canopy is on the left side (cutaway handle is on the right). I'm a strong righty and can easily grip and pull the reserve handle. You drill constantly to get the sequence right. Every jump. Before you jump, on the plane, in freefall, so that muscle memory won't let you down when you need it.

I have no idea about military canopies, however. This story seems a little suspect to me, considering a) most military jumps are static line jumps, meaning the cord is pulled for you as you jump out, and b) they're usually from around 5,000 feet or so, meaning there wouldn't be enough time (only about 30 seconds before hitting the ground) to dig a hole in your shirt looking for the cord. While it's true that some military personnel do jump from a higher altitude, experience several seconds of freefall, and pull their own canopies out, I have a sneaking suspicion that this story has been just a tad embellished.

That said, I am a low-experience sport parachutist with no military experience, so grain of salt.

Edit: sorry for being such a buzzkill.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

pookel posted:

I couldn't find evidence for the story (it may have been a wartime legend that somehow made its way into this textbook as an anecdote) but while looking for it I did find this creepy story in a Straight Dope thread. Experienced parachutist gets on plane with heavy camera equipment in his backpack, but no parachute (presumable because the weight of the equipment feels like a parachute). He jumps out without realizing what happened and his helmet-mounted camera captures his panic as he looks around for the ripcord. Scroll down a bit for the old AP story in this link:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=401479

This one actually DID happen. Happened in the 80s, filming a tandem. It was his 6th jump of the day and he was last out, meaning none of the other jumpers had much of a chance to look at his back. Sad.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

There's a funny story from Band of Brothers where one of the paratroopers is talking about the first plane ride he took after the war, with his family while going on vacation. As the flight came a close he became uneasy, and it dawned on him why - this was the first time he'd actually landed whilst in a plane, every other time he'd been in a plane he'd jumped out.

I only have a few dozen jumps under my belt, but I get this. There's a very different feeling between a passenger jet and a skydiving plane, so you don't get confused or anything, but I remember on my last commercial flight during the ascent, anticipating the rocking motions that the small skydiving planes get in the wind on ascent. You know how, if you spend a day on a boat, you go home and as you go off to sleep, you can kinda feel the rocking motions of the boat from earlier? It's like that. Halfway through ascent I swear I can feel the plane rocking, even though it's far too big to be buffeted by the wind the way a small skydiving plane would be.

Kinda creepy itself, really.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

I've been a foster parent for a couple of months and I'm basically agog that they took that on and did so well.

Then again, I'm also a CPS social worker so god knows I have called inexperienced foster parents, begged them to consider a hard case, and coached them through difficult first placements because there were no other options. So I guess I get it.

I'm going to go home and hug my fairly average sixteen year old foster daughter while she rolls her eyes at me now :(

Didn't you post in the small (ha) achievements thread about becoming a first-time foster, and you said you may consider a permanent placement? Even if you end up not doing so, just posting about this has made this thread go from :smith: to :unsmith: just a little.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Centripetal Horse posted:

Goddammit. Now that you've referenced that story, which creeps the hell out of me, I feel compelled to read about the Anguished Man. I am supposed to be sleeping, and this will probably give me two reason I can't.

Edit: Nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. I got through the first paragraph, and I decided to cut my losses. Actual dangers that exist in the real world and can actually hurt me barely phase me at all. Imaginary dangers that don't exist anywhere except in my imaginations consistently gently caress me up.

As soon as I saw the photo of the portrait on that site, I decided it was bedtime. But in the light of day, I'm enjoying reading about it now. Gonna go get a second coffee and spook myself now that it's "safe" from "ghosts."

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

fun hater posted:

yeah i dont think people were talking about anything from the creepypasta wiki and were probably talking about the article linked in the original post

ahaha scope this weird knockoff on ebay someone tried to sell for 15k pounds

Yeah, but the original article wasn't that scary either. With my eyelids not drooping and full of coffee, this morning all I thought was "okay, a spooky painting and a very-easily-faked video of a 'ghost,' hey but that painting is pretty cool though."

That said, spooky stories, real or fake, are always fun. Keep 'em coming, if you wouldn't mind.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I had to spend some time catching up to this thread (most PYF threads I peruse casually, but this one takes some concentration), and I finally caught up. I just want to say thank you for the fascinating stories. All of them are fantastic, and thank you so much.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

pookel posted:

One of the guys in my brother's D&D group had to tell him mom he was playing "military strategy games" because she'd heard D&D was satanic.

This isn't particularly unnerving, but I had a boyfriend in college whose parents were extremely religious (Catholic). When he developed an interest in herpetology (reptile studies), his mom went, weeping, to their priest, concerned that their only son was worshiping the devil because he wanted to get a pet snake. The priest had to gently inform her that the whole snake in the garden of Eden thing was a metaphor and that snakes are god's creatures too, etc. etc.

She finally relented and he ended up becoming a really fantastic reptile vet before he died tragically. :(

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Last Chance posted:

drat I think I've got emotional whiplash from reading this little story

It really was quite sad. I met him when I was 24 and he was 21. We only dated for a few months but I fell deeply in love with him and now, thirteen years later, I'm not totally over him. He had severe depression and was an alcoholic, but was actively trying to recover. Some years after we split, he got engaged, and eventually the engagement ended. Maybe a few months after that, a mutual friend told me he had died in his sleep after undergoing reconstructive surgery from an accident. He'd always told me he didn't expect to live to see 30, and he was 30 when he died. My guess was he mixed pain meds with alcohol either intentionally or accidentally, but I can't confirm that. So I guess his story does belong in the thread.

He was a beautiful person and the world is worse off without him in it. :(

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Jesus, I know it's annoying when your piece gets sent back home in Sorry! but that's not really a reason to kill someone!

RNG posted:

Much like how "oval office" isn't really offensive to UK/Aus people, "wog" means nothing in America, so you're all a bunch of shiftless idiot wogs. :downs:

This word used to bother me a lot but I've met a TON of Aussies in the past few months and I guess I'm desensitized to it a bit. I can't bring myself to say it or write it, but I guess things always sound better with an Aussie accent.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I'm in a somewhat dangerous sport--it's as safe as you make it, but we have a saying, "complacency kills." I was attending a canopy piloting course and we watched a lecture on complacency in both the Columbia and Challenger disasters that was about as interesting and unnerving as you could get. It definitely was an eye-opener, not just in aeronautics, but in all things: complacency in driving or maintaining your car, how you eat, drinking and driving. Another saying we have is "the most dangerous thing is breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it." The more you cut corners and nothing happens, the more corners you cut (or dismiss the gravity of a cut corner), and in a lot of ways that's what happened with these two shuttles.

It was sobering to say the least.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

gamingCaffeinator posted:

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2016/november/christopher-duntsch-dr-death/

Found this in the 'Weird Craigslist Ad' thread here in PYF, but jesus h christ it is HORRIFYING. A spinal surgeon doing tons of drugs, drinking before procedures, and generally just loving people up to the point he's killed at least two. It is worth a read.

This is especially unnerving (ha) to me, as I recognize so many of those structures and procedures, since I'm dealing with a spinal and nervous injury myself. I'll get an official prognosis tomorrow after six long weeks of pain and inability to walk, and while I can't say for sure, I think my doctor is not going to recommend surgery, which will be a huge relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

JGdmn posted:

I think there are people that deep down, really want it to hurt.

Yes. Let's not kid ourselves, the death penalty is not about safety, compassion, or lack of any other options. It's about revenge.